Send a message via ICQ to Slaughthammer
i record with the following gear:
Guitar
Boss MT-2
DigiTech RP5
headphone output (stereo)
My PC
Cool Edit Pro 2.0

the sound isn't the killersound, but getting a better result with less expense is difficult and the weakest part is IMO the RP5 (crappy sound) my soundcard is not a very good one, but my pc-soundsystem is even worse, so i don't know excactly how that is. as said above not the best solution, but works well
Old 2003-09-26, 19:25
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to Bones98
Quote:
Originally posted by Ras_IMPerator
Just a hint...whenever youre recording guitar on PC ALWAYS have the LINE-IN on full...if not, youll loose the power. you can then lower whole volume, but never move LINE-IN from the max.

Hope, that this will help.

So you're saying to raise the LINE-IN volume to the max?
Old 2003-09-28, 08:04
New Blood

Send a message via ICQ to Credence
Quote:
Originally posted by vileangelofdeth

Another factor in quality is the choice of cables. Most people doing direct recording use a regular mono guitar cable that runs from the ouput of the pedal to the line in of the soundcard, I use a stereo standard PC audio cable with a 1/4" stereo adapter that plugs in at the effect pedal's output. THis allows you to record in stereo instead of mono.[/i]

I dont believe this is entirely true. It works for you because you're using an effects pedal that has stereo support (most digital pedals, like the digitech's and Zoom pedals, have this, additionally, the headphone output on your amp is the same thing)

Applying a 1/4" stereo adapter to a standard Amp cable (i.e going direct from guitar to computer) will make no difference, youll still have mono (left channel) sound.

Most amplifiers with a headphone jack, will basically just copy the left channel to the right channel (so in effect, its still not true stereo sound technically). But, aside from that..
Its easy to tell a mono plug from a stereo plug.

Both plugs, you will notice, will have colored (usually black) plastic rings on them. A mono plug will only have one plastic ring (hence, only one sound channel). Whereas a stereo plug, will have 2 black rings. (left channel, right channel). Look at your amplifier cables, and your headphone cable jacks, and youll notice the difference right away. So, basically, to get stereo sound, theres a few ways to go about it.
1. Get a pedal or amp that supports it, most any decent amplifier will have a headphone output.

So use that in conjuction with the small, 1/4" adapters as stated above by vileangelofdeath to plug into your PC. However, DONT GET RADIOSHACK ONES! they're awful. I get an obscene ammount of buzzing when using my radio shack converter. I dont know if its faulty, has lousy electrical shileding, or what. But id recommend against them (maybe i just got a bad one, whos knows, but ive still got a sour taste in my mouth, radioshack isnt known for quality).

If for some bizzare reason your amplifier doesnt support stereo headphone output, there are some pedals that do, such as the Boss Chorus pedal (Super chorus CH-1) which has an optional stereo output (though i believe it might be only for the stereo chorus effect, not sure if it stereos the guitar sound aswell, ive never used it my self, always used mono, so i dunno).

Or if you've got the money, you can go all out with a digital effects pedal, which usually has pretty good stereo sound, not to mention alot of nicer recording options (noise gates and equalizers to name a few). Be forewarned that digital pedals have a bad habit of chopping up any tone your guitar might have though.

Addtionally, i think there might be some cables that copy left channel to right channel sound (mono-stereo converters) though ive never seen one, im fairly certain that they do exist if you do some searching.

One other thing id like to mention (in reference to alot of the other posts here in recorded quality). Its really important to run your sound through an EQ, alot of people dont do it, but it can have a hugely noticeable impact on your sound. I did a quick example.

Basically, im playing just a really simple, slow riff. (nevermind my fuckup at the end, its 8 in the morning and i havent slept yet, so eat me ) The first part of the mp3 is the sound quality of my lousy, shitty bheringer amplifier, the second part of the mp3 is (almost) the same riff, played again, but being run through my GE-7 EQ pedal with some basic tweaks on the mids and highs.
Click here for the sound sample

Now you tell me it doesnt sound better run through an EQ
Old 2003-10-03, 06:01
New Blood

Send a message via ICQ to Ras_IMPerator
Quote:
Originally posted by Bones98
So you're saying to raise the LINE-IN volume to the max?

I tried it many times...but if you have the LINE-IN on half, you can have the overall volume on max, the sound wont be as good as with the LINE-IN on full...it looses the power...in computer the sound changes, amplifies and the like. You must keep the signal going to PC cleanest as possible and with high signal...If its too loud, just turn down the volume of your effect or amp, but dont turn down the LINE-IN...

Its like when recording...if you record something loud...you can always turn it down, but if you record it quiet...you have to turn the volume up and the sound is pretty weak...and theres a lot of noise...

Yeah, you can say...so whats the compressor thing for ? Yes, I use it too...but you have to make the original sound as good as possible...then you can experiment...

Farting becomes... burning
Old 2003-10-03, 08:37
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to Bones98
FUCK USING THE LINE IN JACK!
Get the Motu Firewire 828 system, its fuckin great.
Also get a new soundblaster for monitoring.
And maybe buy some SM 57's or Condensors...
Thats it, fuck using Line In's. Line Ins get too much information bottlenecks.
And wth the MOtu 828 it doesn't.
Old 2003-11-09, 13:35
bugfucker strikes back.

Send a message via AIM to Dissection
Poor Boy's Recording

Ok. I am looking to use my RP7's headphone jack to send a patch into my Line In on the comp. What all will i need to accomplish this? i know it has probably been covered a few times, but i am not exactly in the mood for fishing through this post.

Thanks.

Awesome.
Old 2003-11-10, 12:15
New Blood

I did that with my RP5 and it was being fine. you will need an adapter from 6,3mm jack to 3,5 mm jack to get a the connection. for recoding i used cool edit pro and that was prety good, you can get it w/ serial on kazaa
Old 2003-11-10, 18:54
bugfucker strikes back.

I mean, what kind of wires will i need to do it? Could i find them at a damn radioshack?

Awesome.
Old 2003-11-12, 06:34
New Blood

I used headphone wire, because it's shieldet and stereo, works fine
Old 2003-12-10, 04:35
Senior Metalhead

i started playing guitar years ago...then had a break and wrote electronic music for a few years...got pretty good to...almost got a deal but i rejected it cause i stole most of the samples.....abit too risky so i said fuck it...

so as far as software goes for drums...id use fruity or reason and u can sequence in those or cubase...its up to you..

now the drums dont sound realistic enough for me even though i can get them sounding good...the trick is not to use too many samples...keep it simple like the pc drummer has 2 feet and 2 arms....so dont write anything u think a drummer couldnt do..

u can use pre-made loops but they suck cause they dont match your riffs and you dont wanna write around some other fuckers beats..

i actually record little tracks for ideas through my whole pc...soon im gonna do whole songs...just weird songs with guitars, bass, vocals and samples

i run my amp into my soundcard and muck around...the guitars sound shitty but its fun mucking around.....im gonna work on getting as better sound or just mic up my amp..dunno..

as far as samples go for rock beats...rip em outta metal songs...they have the coolest kicks and snares and cymbals..
Old 2003-12-12, 16:55
New Blood

Okay, I'm all new to this and I've read the first couple of pages and am still lost.

I've got a Marshall MG50dfx. Got a pretty new computer. Shit soundcard etc.

What do I need? I have this cable I got for 10 euro a while back. Thats about all I have...
Old 2004-01-07, 19:25
New Blood

You can't really record well with a shitty soundcard that keeps producing noise. You need one that has minimal noise and it should support full duplex operation... I have an SB Live! and it's pretty good for that sort of thing.

In theory you should be able to take a mic to your amp and record it, but it's better to record it directly into your soundcard's line-in. You'll never get a perfect sound with that alone though, you need some sort of software equalizer to edit the sound afterwards.
Old 2004-01-07, 20:27
Senior Metalhead

my setup for recording....
Guitar--Digitech rp100---custom made cable i made in my dads shop--back of my computer---Cakewalk
i have a couple of different settings i made just for recording, some reason any normal setting that sounds moderately loud on an amp just cause the SOB auto distorts. mostly EQing, i have a couple of sound clips recorded, and i cant figure out how the heck to get a drum track on the thing
Old 2004-01-09, 07:25
bugfucker strikes back.

Ok. What diameter cable do i need?

Awesome.
Old 2004-01-10, 18:19
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

Hey, can Diamond Cut Audio (DC-Art32) work for recording myself? If so my setup would be guitar>cord>pedal>cord>amp.., and microphone>back of PC>Diamond Cut>Cakewalk Pro Audio9. Uhhhh, yeah ghettoness...

...and I got 4 different plugs to choose from in the back of my PC. Which one do I use? (pentiumII) There's black, green, yellow, blue, and pink.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Last edited by powersofterror : 2004-01-10 at 18:52.
Old 2004-01-16, 19:57
bugfucker strikes back.

shut up, buttfag, and answer the damn question!!! my drummer can d/l cakewalk for free, and all i need is a god damn headphone cable to go into the damn computer.

Awesome.
Old 2004-01-16, 21:28
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

Plugs going into any PC are all 1/8 inch diameters. Any dumbbutt would know that but you. Now answer MY question!!!!!!
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx
Old 2004-01-17, 15:49
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsmith
You can't really record well with a shitty soundcard that keeps producing noise. You need one that has minimal noise and it should support full duplex operation... I have an SB Live! and it's pretty good for that sort of thing.

In theory you should be able to take a mic to your amp and record it, but it's better to record it directly into your soundcard's line-in. You'll never get a perfect sound with that alone though, you need some sort of software equalizer to edit the sound afterwards.

SBlives do the job...but they are pretty shitty.....but not super shit like some..

but there is no point in getting a super duper soundcard unless u want to do some pro stuff....if its just for fun and to show some mates....then use what u have.
Old 2004-01-17, 15:59
bugfucker strikes back.

Fine, you dumbshit. Yes, it should work. Thanks for replying.

Awesome.
Old 2004-01-17, 16:49
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissection
Fine, you dumbshit. Yes, it should work. Thanks for replying.

u get picked on at school??