MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 2003-06-21, 07:08
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to Bones98
It sounds heavy on my amp, but when I plug my dist. pedal
into the computer it sounds weak.
Old 2003-06-23, 09:51
New Blood

Whats the filename for Cool Edit on Kazaa? Right now I'm downloading this one called.."Cool Edit Pro 2.0 + Reg Full Version - Works Great!"
Old 2003-06-23, 12:04
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by Bones98
It sounds heavy on my amp, but when I plug my dist. pedal
into the computer it sounds weak.

i'm thinking it's your computer speakers.
Old 2003-06-23, 17:37
Post-whore

actually I'm using headphones
Old 2003-06-23, 17:41
Senior Metalhead

What pedal are you using?

Generally, unless it's engineered to go directly in, it'll sound like crap. You might try a direct box, or you could use an amp with a DI output, or you could mike your amp. The most preferable of these would be miking the amp, the cheapest would be a direct box.
I don't care where it goes
And it don't matter if you're straight or gay
You should fuck yourself anyway
Now, you don't have to listen to a word I say
But I know you, you'll be humpin' away
Old 2003-06-23, 17:59
Post-whore

would a 40 dollar AUDIO TECHNICHA microphone work?

Last edited by Bones98 : 2003-06-23 at 19:57.
Old 2003-06-23, 19:57
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally posted by MechanicalRaper

Boss Metal Zone
Old 2003-07-13, 22:56
Senior Metalhead

yeah its cooleditpro 2.0+whatever. if you use a mic next to the amp it will sound like shit. ive tried. i found a cord to plug in my gnx3 into my computer tonight and i have cooledit so ill try it.
Old 2003-08-17, 11:39
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally posted by MechanicalRaper

Generally, unless it's engineered to go directly in, it'll sound like crap. You might try a direct box, or you could use an amp with a DI output, or you could mike your amp. The most preferable of these would be miking the amp, the cheapest would be a direct box.

would a small 50 dollar behringer mixer work good for micing my amp?
And should I adjust my EQ with the mixer of with Cool Edit Pro2?
Plus my Line in jack is fucked up, so I'll try my mic input.
Old 2003-08-17, 11:50
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to DEAD
Plugging a distortion pedal in the mic input or whatever on a computer sounds like shit because all computers have a hi-fi sound cards. I've always found micing to be the best way to record unless you have a recording pre-amp i.e. POD, V-amp, ect. You don't even need a mixer for micing the amp. I have a $10 mic plugged right into the mic input on my computer and it sounds fine.
Old 2003-08-17, 12:35
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via ICQ to G_urr_A
The reason distpedal->soundcard sounds bad is that the pedal is usually built to be output through a speaker which lacks high-frequency response. So *if* you plug your distpedal into your soundcard, just do an EQ where the higher frequencies are significantly reduced.
Old 2003-08-17, 16:59
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to Necro_Butcher
aight mofos my guitar teacher told me about this wicked program called Audacity
find that program its totally free and totally awesome
Old 2003-08-22, 15:02
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

you might want to look at www.musiciansfriend.com or somewhere for a 4-track/sampler thing, my friends band uses a roland one, it has a sampler(drum machine) built in and a zip drive. plus 4 tracks, each with like 8 vitual tracks. i think it costed him like $700ish.
Old 2003-08-27, 14:05
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

(if you guys find any other threads that you could merge with this, post the url in this thread)
Old 2003-08-27, 14:44
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to HELLBLASTER-666
Quote:
It sounds heavy on my amp, but when I plug my dist. pedal into my computer it sounds weak.

I have the same problem!
Also when I plug my guitar through my pedal(Boss ME-30)
or Straight in to the PC it plays only from one speaker!I tried
changing the settings on my computer
but it's the same!!It only sounds from both speakers when I
plug it through my amp but it sounds like shit(it sounds
like it has too much treble but even when I change
the equaliser settings it still sounds awful)

Old 2003-09-05, 15:40
New Blood

Send a message via AIM to vileangelofdeth
GOOD QUALITY PC RECORDING

I have recorded and mastered several tracks on my PC using quite a simple setup. If you want samples go to www.mp3.com/gasoline_baptism/ ...My recording setup is as follows....

Guitar:

I run the guitar through my Korg Toneworks effects station. This multi-effects pedal has a headphone output, which allows it to be run directly into the Line-In port of the soundcard without and reduction in sound quality. Pretty much any pedal or amp with a headphone output will be able to transfer a clear sound through the sound card. Most Marshall amps have an emmulated line out that works great for this.

Another factor in quality is the choice of cables. Most people doing direct recording use a regular mono guitar cable that runs from the ouput of the pedal to the line in of the soundcard, I use a stereo standard PC audio cable with a 1/4" stereo adapter that plugs in at the effect pedal's output. THis allows you to record in stereo instead of mono.

For recording software, I use Sonic Foundry's Acid Pro 4. This program is excellent and quite simple to use. It has a large assortment of effects for post processing such as delay, reverb, Parametric and Graphic EQ's and more. Once you figure out how to use the program its quite simple to get a really big, heavy sound out of the guitar.

Drum Tracks:

For the Drums i use Fruityloops Studio 4, an excellent drum sequencing program. The program itself does not come with very realistic drum samples so i downloaded some online. The best samples i have found are made by Manytone. If you search google for Manytone Drum wavs you should find them easily. They come in four packs for cymbals, snares, toms and kicks.

Unzip the samples into the fruityloops directory, they can be easily loaded into Fruityloops and sequenced. Fruityloops also has a playlist feature where you can string several drum patterns together to make an entire song, which can then be exported as a wav or mp3 into your recording software.
Old 2003-09-05, 17:35
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Re: GOOD QUALITY PC RECORDING

Quote:
Originally posted by vileangelofdeth
I use a stereo standard PC audio cable with a 1/4" stereo adapter that plugs in at the effect pedal's output. THis allows you to record in stereo instead of mono.

tell us more about this cable, if i were to buy this at Radio Shack, what would it look like?
Old 2003-09-05, 19:23
New Blood

Send a message via AIM to vileangelofdeth
its a standard 1/8" Stereo audio cable, the same cable you would use to connect your PC speakers to your soundcard
Old 2003-09-26, 05:54
New Blood

Send a message via ICQ to Credence
Re: Got a question about pedals and recording. . .

Quote:
Originally posted by J Paragon S
First off, here's my gear:
- Schecter Omen 6 (changed the strings very recently, and the battery for the pickups too)
- - EMG 81 bridge pickup
- - EMG 89 neck pickup
- Boss Metalzone distortion pedal

Anyway, I've been trying to record myself, and it sounds like crap. First, it's too damn muddy, kinda like Nile (which in and of itself isn't bad, but I'm not trying to play death metal at all). Someone tells me to cut out the bass frequencies, so I drop the dial down to 1/3 and it cuts out the muddiness.

Now I realized it just sounds like crap. So, the way I figure, there are a few possible things going wrong:

- The newness of the strings has a stronger effect than I realized
- The pedal sucks without bass frequencies
- The pedal sucks, period
- My soundcard is terrible (I got people telling me my soundcard is fine for what I'm doing, though. . .)

At this point, I'm trying to get a good melodic metal sound, from Blind Guardian in "Mirror Mirror" to Opeth on "Blackwater Park" to Immortal in "Withstand the Fall of Time". Is there anything that I can do with my current setup to get a good melodic sound, or will I have to get myself a new pedal? (Which I can do, so recommend a good pedal if I need it. . .)

Dont know if this has been answered yet, im to tired to read through every page, so if it has, im sorry, dont kill me

While im not overly experienced in hardware recording, the problem you're experiencing is due to the fact that the MT-2 in its self is a high gain pedal. Thus, it sounds great coming out of a speaker, but when run direct through a line, it sounds ultra fuzzy and muddy. Ive had the same problems with my MT-2, the problem is apparent with any sort of recorded distortion, it always sounds muddy if you record direct.

So, i picked up a semi-decent microphone from Long & Mcquade for about $70 and placed that infront of my amplifier.
Direct line recording isnt always the best option as you lose alot of tone and power in the sound. Most professional recording is done with nice amps in soundrooms with some high quality mics placed infrot and/or in specific/strategic areas. (granted im no recording pro, but i believe this to be somewhat correct).
Try it, at any rate and youll notice a huge difference in the recording, and the sound of the distortion. Then, once you've got your sound file, you can import it into anything like Sound Forge, or Cool Edit, to run it through equalizers and the like. (I actually do that beforehand in my setup, ive got a Boss GE-7 that i run the mic through while recording, so i can change the equalization in real time). using this method, i managed to achieve a sound similar to Opeths "Ending Credits" from Damnnation

Aditionally, ive started working on something new, if rather odd, no idea if its going to work, or sound half decent. (itll probably sound like crap, to be honest, but im trying anyways )

Ive created a (roughly) 5 x 5 foot wooden box out of pressed, particle board. Ive then lined the inside with styrofoam. The idea is to create a box i can place around my amp to create a sound resistant barrier, so i can record my amp's sound directly without worrying about outside noise interfering.
The major problem of this, is that with such a small box and using styrofoam, you lose all acoustical atmospherics. I havent tested it yet, but i fear this may be a large issue and have a noticeable impact on the richness of the sound. But time will tell i suppose.

Just a thought for the table, anyways

Last edited by Credence : 2003-09-26 at 06:00.
Old 2003-09-26, 10:10
New Blood

Send a message via ICQ to Ras_IMPerator
Just to tell you guys, what can be done with even the cheapest hardware.When recording my first demo song, I had some PC, Zoom 505 II and a LIVE! soudcard. I made an excellent sound...excellent even on that piece of crap Zoom 505.

Everything I did is...I put my guitar (Ibanez rg470) to The Zoom, then directly to the Line-In on the sound card. And then switched the hardware equalizer to Techno.(Im in the technometal thing The sound was full, and after I managed to record it twice, it was as powerful as any other sound i heard. Maybe the drawback is that I had to downtune my guitar to B for this...but as I say...the sound was perfect...

To produce drum loops I reccomend either Anvil studio or Fruity loops. From Anvil studio you can export it as MIDI file and from Fruity loops as a Wav file...even each instrument alone, so you can mix it properly.

For recording I used Cubase VST32, but now Im using Cubase SX. Its very difficult to learn almost anything in the Cubase, I myself tried it three times until I finally found out, how to use it...But Its very proffesional...Theres another one program however called Nuendo, but I didnt try it...it should be very similar to Cubase.

I think, that when youre starting with recording, you should use Cakewalk home studio, it has nice colours and its easier to use.

I now use digitech RP200 pedal and I part the sound...One part is going through the amp and Mic to the Mix. this signal is recorded as one Track...then another at the same time is from the pedal to the computer and through hardware equalizer...the sound is AMAZING POWERFUL AND BREATHTAKING

Just a hint...whenever youre recording guitar on PC ALWAYS have the LINE-IN on full...if not, youll loose the power. you can then lower whole volume, but never move LINE-IN from the max.

Hope, that this will help.