MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2005-03-05, 00:45
Meesh
Senior Metalhead

Yeh I have that one, can't figure out how to use it though, still not simple enough for my mind lol.

Old 2005-03-06, 05:40
HelpMeHelpYou
Supreme Metalhead

Is there any decent free recording software I can download off of the net? Anything better than MS sound recorder.

Old 2005-03-06, 05:53
Cosu
Senior Metalhead

Old 2005-03-06, 05:58
HelpMeHelpYou
Supreme Metalhead

Wow. Thanks so much dude.

Old 2005-03-11, 11:17
Meesh
Senior Metalhead

Alrighty, I got one of these babies and I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with them, I have been reading through the manual but I would like some more clearer instructions. I just can't seem to get any sound coming out from cakewalk or cubase, I was able to get sound by just plugging my amp straight into the computer but when I try to run my guitar into the box it doesn't work, please give us a hand if your familiar with this unit.cheers meesh.

Old 2005-03-11, 14:59
IbanezAbuser
New Blood

laptop recording and US122

i am a completely newbie in the computer recording world, and i was told that this interface http://messe.harmony-central.com/Mu...R/US-122-sm.jpg is the way to go with either guitar tracks or cubase which i have the 2 bundled software programs ( cubasis vst and tascam gigastudio and the cubase le which came in the mail) but i can't get any of it to work is it the fact that this stuff is just this confusing or because i have no idea what im doing, do i need monitors to hear play back? or can i use my laptops external speakers system.

Old 2005-03-11, 20:14
Meesh
Senior Metalhead

I fingured out how to work it and am getting some good results now, you should check out www.tascamforums.com and you'll find a heap of information and support.

You need to plug you guitar or pedal straight into the line in input on the US-122 and use direct monitering and put the headphones in and make sure you're levels are turned up, you also need to set your default sound cards and stuff to the US-122, also set the device options to US-122 in whatever recording program your using, also make sure you install the all the US-122 software first before even connecting the unit to the computer.

You should here sound after this but you need to tweak your windows settings and do some other stuff to get optimum performance, I've spent the last 2 days mucking around asking for help, fiddling with shit, recording shit and now I have succeeded in getting going and recording good tracks, anyway go to the tascam forums and you'll find all the info on the tweaks ansd shit you need.

Last edited by Meesh : 2005-03-13 at 11:37.

Old 2005-03-14, 19:18
IbanezAbuser
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meesh
I fingured out how to work it and am getting some good results now, you should check out www.tascamforums.com and you'll find a heap of information and support.

You need to plug you guitar or pedal straight into the line in input on the US-122 and use direct monitering and put the headphones in and make sure you're levels are turned up, you also need to set your default sound cards and stuff to the US-122, also set the device options to US-122 in whatever recording program your using, also make sure you install the all the US-122 software first before even connecting the unit to the computer.

You should here sound after this but you need to tweak your windows settings and do some other stuff to get optimum performance, I've spent the last 2 days mucking around asking for help, fiddling with shit, recording shit and now I have succeeded in getting going and recording good tracks, anyway go to the tascam forums and you'll find all the info on the tweaks ansd shit you need.

much appreciation to you man its nice to find mature musicians

Old 2005-03-14, 23:12
Meesh
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezAbuser
much appreciation to you man its nice to find mature musicians

Not a worry mate, let us know when you get her working aye!.

I forgot to add, i'm not using cubase or gigastudio, those two things don't work for me very well, I'm using cakewalk, in my oppinion it kicks ass. You might want to try getting that if you can't get it to work with gigastudio or cubase.

Last edited by Meesh : 2005-03-14 at 23:16.

Old 2005-05-20, 04:36
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

I have a question.

Will most of this software out there allow one to continuously record. Like I would like to record, say an hour or two worth of jam. You figure in .wav format that would be huge. Does it manage the temporary recording well in memory? I wonder if any of this software will allow it to swap to disk while actively continuously recording. Anyone know. BTW, I'm currently messing with Adobe Audition 1.5

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.

Old 2005-05-20, 06:20
Darkenelf
Supreme Metalhead

im just using a microphone which is attached to the microphone line-in in my PC.

then i use the following software to record:

Audacity
or
Steinberg Nueno 2

sometimes a video camera is a nice way to record...

It works fine this way.

easy as that, the only costs is a $20 microphone.

Join the hordes!!

Old 2005-05-27, 10:01
Meesh
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by davie_gravy
I have a question.

Will most of this software out there allow one to continuously record. Like I would like to record, say an hour or two worth of jam. You figure in .wav format that would be huge. Does it manage the temporary recording well in memory? I wonder if any of this software will allow it to swap to disk while actively continuously recording. Anyone know. BTW, I'm currently messing with Adobe Audition 1.5

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by continuously recording an hour worth of jam. If you're talking like a continuous track that runs for an hour than I doubt it but i'm not sure, though you can easily be doing as many takes as you want in a one or two hour session. Cakewalk and I presume most audio software programs save EVERY little thing you record, everytime you press record it creates a new wav file in a audio data folder somewhere on the hard disk. You can go and fetch all these if you want em.

Old 2005-05-31, 06:46
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

It's all good. I was meaning like to leave it on record while one vicariously jams away for an hour. But I found the answer, and it's yes, the program I'm using allocates and swaps the data to disk like every 20 - 30 seconds... Thanks though!

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.

Old 2005-06-02, 10:35
Cosu
Senior Metalhead

Just found a new software for the average homebased musician. It's called Tracktion and it's made by Mackie .
It's so easy to operate ....
I love it because it supports VST plugins and that means i can get a decent sound for jamming in my own apartmend without a decent amp . If you have a sound card that has ASIO drivers then you're good to go. If not you can emulate the ASIO support using asio4all ( www.asio4all.com ) .
I don't own a practice amp so this asio thingie saved my life (and a few bucks
I now use the following plugins : GuitarRig (nice cab emulation and crazy effects), Amplitube (almost as good as guitar rig) and SimulAnalog (nice JCM900,DS1,SD1,TS9 and Fender Twin modelations and yes it's freeee ).
I know that the sound you get with this stuff doesn't come close to the real thing but like i said for home use it's great. I can play my guitar and get decent effects with a shitty AC97 onboard sound card. How cool is that ?

Old 2005-06-07, 04:55
Meesh
Senior Metalhead

Is it worth changing from Cubase or Mixcraft though?

Old 2005-06-07, 22:44
Cosu
Senior Metalhead

that's questionable
it took me about 3-5minutes to record smth decent with tracktion.
After 5 minutes with cubase i was still swamped in all those options
Bottom line if you just want to jam or record something quick Trakction is an excelent choice. For the professional dude that wants to edit mix and whatever cubase& friends still rule.
I don't know if all the guitarists know how to use cubase (it took me while but maybe i'm just dumb).

Has anyone tried the Simulanalog VST plugins( http://www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm ) ?What do you think of it ?

Last edited by Cosu : 2005-06-07 at 22:47.

Old 2005-06-07, 22:52
k13m
Post-whore

i use cool edit pro 2 its bloody easy to use IMO

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2005-06-09, 03:17
Meesh
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosu
that's questionable
it took me about 3-5minutes to record smth decent with tracktion.
After 5 minutes with cubase i was still swamped in all those options
Bottom line if you just want to jam or record something quick Trakction is an excelent choice. For the professional dude that wants to edit mix and whatever cubase& friends still rule.
I don't know if all the guitarists know how to use cubase (it took me while but maybe i'm just dumb).

Has anyone tried the Simulanalog VST plugins( http://www.simulanalog.org/guitarsuite.htm ) ?What do you think of it ?

Yeh, I don't think I will be needing it. I've tried a fair few of those smaller programs, I'll be sticking with cubase, it takes a while but you can get it sounding pretty damn good.

Old 2005-06-10, 01:36
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

I'm not sure if I have an hardware issue, software issue or if it's even possible at all, but I have the following problem when trying to record.

I use cool edit pro 2 when recording. The recordings are decent, no lag on the speakers when playing either. The problem I have tough, is when I have multiple layers, like a drum or rythm track. Is it possible to play different tracks and record a seperate layer at the same time?
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.

I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!

Old 2005-06-12, 03:27
i_hate_nu_metal
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainsforbreakfast
I'm not sure if I have an hardware issue, software issue or if it's even possible at all, but I have the following problem when trying to record.

I use cool edit pro 2 when recording. The recordings are decent, no lag on the speakers when playing either. The problem I have tough, is when I have multiple layers, like a drum or rythm track. Is it possible to play different tracks and record a seperate layer at the same time?

So wait, let me get this straight. You have several different tracks. For example, drums, rhythm, bass. Now, for example, you want to record a lead track but you don't necessarily listen to all the tracks while you are recording your lead. You simply want to, for example, listen to the rhythm guitar.
Now, I'm not familiar with Cool Edit per se, but I do have Adobe Audition, which used to be Cool Edit, but I don't think it really matters, because most of these recording programs are designed with similar features, tools, and layouts. If I were in your situation, having Audition, all I would have to do is mute the tracks that I don't want to listen to. There should be a button somewhere on that track that either says Mute or just M. Click on it, and the waveform of the track is gonna turn gray or some other neutral color like that, and on playback, it will not be heard. It will also not be heard during the recording process. After you're done recording everything, and you wanna hear all the instruments, you simply click once more on the Mute button, and the waveform will turn back to its original color, and you will be able to hear everything fine. You can also adjust the volume of each individual track, in case some of them are too loud or something like that.
I am somewhat of a newbie to the recording process myself, but I'm learning fast, and am liking it so far. Anyway, hope this helps.

Old 2005-06-23, 05:55
Meesh
Senior Metalhead

I have a question for the recording buffs in here. What sort of speaker's would you recommend for mixing and mastering?, keeping in mind they need to be amplified speakers that would plug into my audio inteface. I was thinking stereo hi-fi speakers? but am not sure exactly what is best. Cheers.

Old 2005-06-26, 13:20
Cherub
New Blood

I can't believe no one here ever used Adobe Edition. The newest version of Cood Edit Pro. It is much better. Check it out.

Old 2005-06-26, 15:46
Meesh
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherub
I can't believe no one here ever used Adobe Edition. The newest version of Cood Edit Pro. It is much better. Check it out.

Did you read this thread?, there is posts about adobe audition on the previous page.

Old 2005-06-26, 17:13
IRON90
Supreme Metalhead

Hey I have a question:

Is there some website where you can download some recording program? Cos I really need one and I have a fucking tight budget.

Old 2005-06-26, 17:35
YJM04
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRON90
Hey I have a question:

Is there some website where you can download some recording program? Cos I really need one and I have a fucking tight budget.

ill sell u nero. for a cheap price. probably about $10-15

Old 2005-06-26, 17:38
i_hate_nu_metal
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRON90
Hey I have a question:

Read the thread, homes. It is practically plastered with links.
But anyway, go to download.com, and look around, they have some pretty good stuff. There is a free program called Audacity, (I don't have the link, but I'm sure they have it on download.com; if they don't, just read through this thread, that's where I got it from), it's pretty good, but you'd better have some time on your hands, because any and all editing must be done while the file is still open. Once you close it, you're pretty much fucked. You can save separate tracks, but the program will either freeze in the process, or the tracks will sound like absolute shit, or both.
Also, check out Adobe Audition. Much better than Audacity, costs about $300, but you can just do the free trial. Mine hasn't expired yet, so I don't really know how long it goes on for.

Old 2005-06-30, 20:45
stalwart
New Blood

umm well i want some help in recording, as i havent done that much of it.

I have Ibanez JS1000 guitar, Boss GT-6, Alesis FX8 Mixer, PC with Creative Live 24bit sound card, Adobe Audition and Sony Acid Pro 4.0.

I tried to record but unfortunately I could not come up with very good sound.

As i have not much experience of recording at all, im just a simple guitar player

so a little help would be nice

thanks

Old 2005-07-08, 15:15
John Holland
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

I want to spend no more than 100$ on a microphone that will double for micing my amp, and for vocals. I'm recording direct through Cool Edit.

Shure Sm-57/58 ?

Old 2005-07-08, 17:28
younguitarist
Post-whore

I think DeathCS has an Sm-57. It sounds good. Better than mine.

Old 2005-07-14, 15:53
Meesh
Senior Metalhead

Or if you want to get basically the same mic at half the price you could look at getting a JTS NX-7.

Old 2005-07-15, 16:48
problematic
Post-whore
Banned

Hi.
Would it be worth buying great equipment like the Audigy PRO 4
http://www.soundblaster.com/product...uct=10853&nav=2

Or just buying a mic?

thanks in advance

(this is related to recording)

Old 2005-07-16, 02:44
Meesh
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by problematic
Hi.
Would it be worth buying great equipment like the Audigy PRO 4
http://www.soundblaster.com/product...uct=10853&nav=2

Or just buying a mic?

thanks in advance

(this is related to recording)

I would definetly suggest getting some kind of audio interface rather that just a mic, otherwise the things you record will sound like shit when played back on Pc sound card, interfaces keep the original sound.

Old 2005-07-16, 09:34
problematic
Post-whore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meesh
I would definetly suggest getting some kind of audio interface rather that just a mic, otherwise the things you record will sound like shit when played back on Pc sound card, interfaces keep the original sound.

Ok thanks, ill purchase the Audigy Pro 4, thanks Meesh...I was leaning that way anyway... i think ill be better off.

Old 2005-08-27, 18:31
Soeru
Post-whore

I just happened to find one of those1/4" to 1/8" converter plugs in my house. I hooked up my guitar to the mic input in my comp and yeah it works fine. It even picks up the crackles when I turn my volume knob lol.

Right now I'm getting Cool Edit and ProTools off the internet. What I want to know is: can either of these simulate real amps and do they have all the nifty effects a chain of pedals and an amp would have? I don't use any pedals, I use solely my amp's distortion. Now I love my amp but I was wondering if it's possible to like simulate a Peavey 5150 or a Marshall JCM (for example) by using this software and hooking my guitar directly into the soundcard. Can Cool Edit or ProTools do this and how?

Edit: My amp has a Line Out but I don't want to use that, I just wanna be able to further process the sound on my comp like if it was a really versatile modeling amp, and get some spacey sounds like Vai or something.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Last edited by Soeru : 2005-08-27 at 18:49.

Old 2005-08-29, 01:00
Meesh
Senior Metalhead

I think you can do this. I remeber when I first started trying out pc recording I got cakewalk first and I was mucking around with eq's and effects and came across this 'Amp Sim Lite' effect which gives you the option to hear your guitar playing through an amp and cab of your choice. There was only a couple of stock choices but i'm sure there has to be a goldmine of different amp plug-ins and stuff out there on the web and I ASSUME pro tools or cool edit will support them. But still, I don't think using those effects when recording direct to a pc soundcard is gonna get a great sound, some sort of interface is kinda essential IMO.

Old 2005-08-29, 20:40
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

K, got Audacity. I can hear myself through my speakers, but I can't get it to record (it won't pick it up, basically). It picks it up when I plug into the mic (with my mixer), but it sounds too gritty...

Awesome.

Old 2005-09-04, 18:16
Cyberwaste
Senior Metalhead

Is there a USB cord that has LEFT/RIGHT inputs to record from a 4-track to PC? If so what is it called & where can i get one or something like that? I have seen something like that awhile ago but i cant find it anymore. Thanks

Old 2005-09-06, 08:15
John Holland
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
I just happened to find one of those1/4" to 1/8" converter plugs in my house. I hooked up my guitar to the mic input in my comp and yeah it works fine. It even picks up the crackles when I turn my volume knob lol.

Right now I'm getting Cool Edit and ProTools off the internet. What I want to know is: can either of these simulate real amps and do they have all the nifty effects a chain of pedals and an amp would have? I don't use any pedals, I use solely my amp's distortion. Now I love my amp but I was wondering if it's possible to like simulate a Peavey 5150 or a Marshall JCM (for example) by using this software and hooking my guitar directly into the soundcard. Can Cool Edit or ProTools do this and how?

Edit: My amp has a Line Out but I don't want to use that, I just wanna be able to further process the sound on my comp like if it was a really versatile modeling amp, and get some spacey sounds like Vai or something.

Cool Edit and ProTools cannot do this. Amplitube can.

Old 2005-09-14, 22:08
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

This has probably been answered already, but there's no way in hell I'm reading through this whole thread. Does the POD sound good when recording into a PC? Like I said before, I'm probably gettin a 5150 and maybe buying the POD for like clean tones and stuff. How does the recording on this POD work? Do you just plug that into the PC or like do you use it along w/ the amp or what?

Old 2005-09-15, 07:16
necromechanic
New Blood

i just yesterday installed cool audio pro 2.0 on my cpu and for the first time i got my own souds recorded. but then... i thought drums wuold be fine. i openned drum loop i have earlier done and tried to record guitar to a separate track. but i couldnt figure how..?

so to be simple:
can i record guitar to its own track while drums are playing in backround on its own track? and if... how?

Old 2005-09-15, 22:11
younguitarist
Post-whore

are you using a mic? if so mute the microphone from your soundcard so you can't hear your guitar from your computer speakers. That should do the job...

Old 2005-09-16, 14:38
necromechanic
New Blood

actually im using guitar > effect > line in. i tried to mute trough win recording control but still no effect..

Old 2005-09-16, 14:47
necromechanic
New Blood

when im in multitrack view i cant record anything.. on edit view i can. so id like to hear the drums from my headphones while im playing guitar to get the timing right.. how?

Old 2005-09-16, 17:45
Soeru
Post-whore

I got that Amplitube thing, how the hell do you use it? There's nothing to open... Do I need something else to use the effects and dist. models for a guitar through a line-in?

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2005-09-21, 06:29
i_hate_nu_metal
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by necromechanic
i just yesterday installed cool audio pro 2.0 on my cpu and for the first time i got my own souds recorded. but then... i thought drums wuold be fine. i openned drum loop i have earlier done and tried to record guitar to a separate track. but i couldnt figure how..?

so to be simple:
can i record guitar to its own track while drums are playing in backround on its own track? and if... how?

I assume you meant Cool Edit Pro 2.0, which is in fact Adobe Audition to the best of my knowledge. I have Audition and have worked with it for a little while now, so if you or any of the other guys on here have any questions, just PM me or something, or post 'em in here, though I'm not sure how often I'll be checking this thread.

Basically, in Audition, in order to be able to record to a track, you have to enable it for recording. You do this by clicking the little red button with the letter R on it that is located to the left of your track. There's a red, a yellow, and a green button.

The red one enables that track for recording.
The green one mutes the track, (only if it has already been recorded to), during playback.
The yellow one stands for Solo, I believe, which I think is just playback for that particular track by itself.

Once you've enabled your track for recording, you click on the little record button on the little control interface in the bottom left corner of your screen and whoila! you should now be able to record your stuff. The drums should play during the recording process, just make sure you have the drum loop on a different track from the guitar.

Hope this helps.

Check out my band's, (or lack thereof), web site.
http://www.endless-sacrifice.com

Old 2005-09-30, 09:17
musiciansunderground
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_urr_A
I honestly think you should get "Guitar Fx Box". It's meant for use as an amp (great effects), but can handle recording of wave files. So you can record yourself several times and stuff, and you could also play over a drum pattern, or something.

I think it's about $200, but not sure.

Another thing you could do is for something fast and easy is to buy the Line6 Guitar Port. Then you will be able to use it to record with your favorite software (cakewalk, proaudio etc) and use all the great FX and amp modelers that comes with the Guitar Port software.

There are some great DVDs out there that will show you Recording 101 techniques.

Old 2005-10-01, 10:04
Panda
Senior Metalhead

anyone has some good/bad experience with the terratec phase 88 SE? its an recording soundcard for mac/pc. maybe some of your friends got one and you can inform me about their opinion. im looking for a high end usb card at the moment and im not sure to go with the terratec yet. maybe someone of you guys can help me out.

some infos for those who are intrested .... sound pretty nice imo

http://news.harmony-central.com/New...ucer-Packs.html

tia

Last edited by Panda : 2005-10-03 at 10:22.

Old 2005-10-22, 20:11
Cyberwaste
Senior Metalhead

Anybody know of a program that will let me record from my 4-track through the LINE IN input not the MIC IN on my cpu soundcard? Or any other way it can be done through the LINE IN input? I have a stereo adapter running into it but no program to record it. And whats a good multitrack recording program besides Digidesign pro tools? Thanks

Last edited by Cyberwaste : 2005-10-22 at 20:16.

Old 2005-10-23, 21:10
Cyberwaste
Senior Metalhead

Nevermind i found the shit i need

Old 2005-11-27, 19:40
YJM04
Post-whore

my mic broke down. any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by User01
ibut i wouldnt get any help at a slipknot board, theyre struggling with palm muting!

Old 2005-11-27, 19:42
Soeru
Post-whore

Buy a new one.

Old 2006-01-14, 09:07
xDeadHandsRisingx
Senior Metalhead

i need some help, i have a Echo MIA-MIDI sound card and i just recently bought a Shure 57 mic, after installing my sound card with all the latest drivers and turning my mic volume controls to the highest, i still get very low-weak volumes on record playback, i forgot to mention ,i also set my playback to the max too. This seems like a simple problem but ive tried everything, fucked around with all my volume control settings and still my mic signal is very weak. any help greatly appreciated.

Old 2006-02-03, 02:15
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

What's the best free MIDI to WAV program? I can't find ones that allow for more than like a minute.

Old 2006-02-14, 19:05
Amon rA
Senior Metalhead

how do i get my guitar to sound like my guitar?

sorry, let me explain
im recording with rg550 > engl powerball > framus cobra cab > audio-technica AT4033a > mackie desk > very expensive soundblaster > vegas video

all good stuff

i have a good sound on my amp, and yet when i listen back to it (through good headphones), it sounds like its a dud dod deathmetal distortion pedal di into an 4bit soundcard.
the eq is all flat (obviously not on the amp), and i dont understand what im doing wrong.

help please
"The complexity of the penguins' lifestyle testifies to a Divine Creator," said one commentator on Christian Answers. "To think that natural selection or even the penguins themselves could come up with the idea to migrate miles and miles multiple times each year without their partner or their offspring is a bit insulting to my intellect. How great is our God!"

Old 2006-02-16, 04:57
i_hate_nu_metal
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon rA
how do i get my guitar to sound like my guitar?

sorry, let me explain
im recording with rg550 > engl powerball > framus cobra cab > audio-technica AT4033a > mackie desk > very expensive soundblaster > vegas video

all good stuff

i have a good sound on my amp, and yet when i listen back to it (through good headphones), it sounds like its a dud dod deathmetal distortion pedal di into an 4bit soundcard.
the eq is all flat (obviously not on the amp), and i dont understand what im doing wrong.

help please

It may be your recording program. Vegas video probably wasn't meant for recording guitar. Adobe Audition works fine for me, and Audacity ain't bad either. Plus it's free.

Also, are you recording with a mic? If so it might be the mic placement. Also what is that mackie desk thing? I'm guessing it's a recording device or a mixing console. Sometimes less is more. My setup is very simple. Guitar>Amp>Line Out>PC. Bam. That's all there is to it. Sounds pretty good. Check out the samples on my web site, (in my sig), I think the guitar tones on those sound pretty good.

Hope this helps. Cheers.

Old 2006-02-16, 05:02
i_hate_nu_metal
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDeadHandsRisingx
i need some help, i have a Echo MIA-MIDI sound card and i just recently bought a Shure 57 mic, after installing my sound card with all the latest drivers and turning my mic volume controls to the highest, i still get very low-weak volumes on record playback, i forgot to mention ,i also set my playback to the max too. This seems like a simple problem but ive tried everything, fucked around with all my volume control settings and still my mic signal is very weak. any help greatly appreciated.

How are you runing the mic? Are you runing it staright into the PC or through an amp? The signal is going to be very weak if you don't use some kind of a preamp. When I record with a mic I just plug it into my guitar amp and run a line out to my PC. Sounds pretty good.

You can also check the little box in volume controls where it says Enhance Mic Recording Sensitivity or Mic 20db gain or something like that. It basically gives you a 20db gain, but this only works if you're recording through the mic input on your sound card.

Be careful with this option, though, because that mic input back there can easily pick up all kinds of unwanted noises and shit. I've got recordings where I can hear myself talking in the background, even though I was recording a guitar through a line out. That little input back there is fucking sensitive, so always keep that in mind.

Let me know how you do.

Old 2006-02-16, 05:07
i_hate_nu_metal
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Buy a new one.

What he said. I don't think much can be done for a broken mic. Hope to hell it wasn't an expensive one. If you know any ellectricians ask them if they can take a look at it and maybe fix it. It is possible, but not guaranteed. What exactly happened to your mic?

What kind of mic was it? Was it a dynamic or a condenser? If condenser, was it a large or small diaphragm? Those things are pretty sensitive, especially the large diaphraghm ones, so you gotta be careful how you use the fuckers. Like a dude said in a good article I read somewhere a while ago: "You can put a large diaphraghm condenser mic in front of a kick drum and it'll sound great. Once.".

Old 2006-03-14, 17:50
l0rdpj
Metalhead

Cool Edit 2 and recording

Quote:
Originally Posted by necromechanic
when im in multitrack view i cant record anything.. on edit view i can. so id like to hear the drums from my headphones while im playing guitar to get the timing right.. how?

Once you are in edit view, go to file and load your wav file of the drum track you want to play over. Once loaded and you are viewing the drum wav in edit mode, go to edit(the one next to file on the top of the program). In the edit pull down, there should be an option to "copy to multi track". Once you have done that, click over to multi track view and the drum track should be the first wav file.

After that it's pretty much like everyone said. Find an open track and hit the red R(there should be a yellow "S" and a Grey "M" as well). This will arm the track(s) that you want to record on. When you are ready, click the circular Record Button in the panel with all the playback controls and you should start recording on the tracks that the R was clicked on. If you need any more help, let me know.

Old 2006-03-26, 13:04
Timur
Senior Metalhead

Can someone send me a software program with multiple channels, EQs, programmable drums and other shit?

ah yes, it has to work with and old rotten 450 mhz 128 RAM windows 98 computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killjoy
A DOD Death Metal pedal works just fine, but only with a decent Marshall. I run mine thru an MG30 watt combo, and it's brutal.

Old 2006-03-27, 19:44
Panda
Senior Metalhead

i didnt wanted to create a new thread ... i wonder where you guys place your mics? has anyone tried to record some semi professional guitars here? where do you place your mic or do you even use two for direct and distance micing? ive been messing arround with that shit for a while and im not statisfied yet. any hints for me?

Old 2006-04-04, 03:49
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Okay, I really need help w/ my pod 2.0. I plug it into my pc line in, and I can hardly hear a thing. I open up the recording program, and record w/ the channel vol. at max and the output vol. at like 9:30, and I can hardly hear a thing still. Then if I increase the output vol., there's too much hiss and dist. How do you guys plug into record w/ ur pod's and pc's?

Old 2006-04-04, 03:56
Soeru
Post-whore

I don't think you're supposed to record directly with them, you might need some sort of interface for your comp like the Toneport or something, not sure tho.

Old 2006-04-04, 03:57
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Yeah, I know an interface will make it completely possible, but I've heard so many people just directly recording so....

Old 2006-04-04, 04:00
Soeru
Post-whore

Direct recording into a recorder yeah, but not so sure about a comp. It really depends how good your sound card is. If you plan to do a lot of recording + other soudn related shit on your comp, get a new sound card, otherwise get the toneport or a recording device.

Old 2006-04-08, 06:33
matterthief
Metalhead

As a pc recording newbie I found this article helpful;

Home Recording: Low-To-No-Budget PC Recording

http://www.guitarists.net/lessons/print.php?id=117

Old 2006-04-10, 01:36
Zeppelin
Metalhead

Hey guys I plan on getting this setup soon:

Guitar>Line 6 Guitarport>Comp + SM57 Mic

Im going to use Fruity Loops for the drum tracks. And I planned on using Cakewak (Sonar 5 Producer Edition) for the recording or w/e. But it seems that Cakewalk doesnt support my onboard sound or something. It doesnt really work too well. So should I get an alternate program or buy a new soundcard? This program looks really complicated anyway, but I dont mind spending a bit of money on a new card. So can you guys link me to a good sound card for this? Btw I have 5.1 Longitech speakers that arn't working. (Only 3 of them) Im assuming its because of the Onboard sound. So it has to support them also.

I hope theres someone on here that knows a bit about comps.

Old 2006-04-12, 19:48
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Anyone know of any midi to wav programs for free w/out the fucking limitations and shit?

Old 2006-04-12, 19:57
Defiant Mind
Senior Metalhead

Guitar Pro?

Old 2006-04-12, 20:04
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Can't seem to get it to work, I tried but it's saying that there's an error because it doesn't support the audio type or something like that.

Old 2006-04-12, 20:54
Defiant Mind
Senior Metalhead

If you're trying with GP% maybe you should try out GP4.. I have problems with the sound when I try exporting to Wav with GP5.. i barely hear anything.. but with GP4 everything works fine.. when I use Stereo Mix

Old 2006-04-22, 21:41
i_hate_nu_metal
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin
Hey guys I plan on getting this setup soon:

Guitar>Line 6 Guitarport>Comp + SM57 Mic

Im going to use Fruity Loops for the drum tracks. And I planned on using Cakewak (Sonar 5 Producer Edition) for the recording or w/e. But it seems that Cakewalk doesnt support my onboard sound or something. It doesnt really work too well. So should I get an alternate program or buy a new soundcard? This program looks really complicated anyway, but I dont mind spending a bit of money on a new card. So can you guys link me to a good sound card for this? Btw I have 5.1 Longitech speakers that arn't working. (Only 3 of them) Im assuming its because of the Onboard sound. So it has to support them also.

I hope theres someone on here that knows a bit about comps.

Check back a page or two, I recommended a really good soundcard that is really cheap and supports up to 7.1 surround sound. I posted a direct link to the thing on newegg.com. It's made by Chaintek, or Chaintech, or something to that effect.

Old 2006-05-25, 00:04
OpethFan
Toast-whore

Anyone had any experience with Sonar?

Im downloading sonar 4.03 at the moment coz the newest one is like 2gb.

But yeah, im interested in seeing what its like.

Think my attitude stinks?? You should smell my fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_ZE_METALLEU
yeah, one night he (BassBehemoth) came with some GHB and he put it in my drink, when i woke up....i lost my hymen....terrible

Old 2006-05-25, 22:01
Lord_Behemoth
New Blood

I have used sonar for some time, but i find that's it's a little to complex/advanced for the average home recorder.

I now use Magix studio generation 6. It's real easy to use. It isnt really as advanced as sonar, but it does the job more than ok!

Old 2006-06-10, 03:47
stompboxman
Metalhead

i want to just do simple recordings of me playing the guitar and put it on myspace........
whats the easiest cheapest way to do this?
get a mic?
what programs do i use

Old 2006-06-10, 06:41
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stompboxman
i want to just do simple recordings of me playing the guitar and put it on myspace........
whats the easiest cheapest way to do this?
get a mic?
what programs do i use

Well since i'm definately a mic guy i would say mic. But to be honest most people nowadays especially on this forum use the direct out feature on alot of amps. I dont' know how they get it sounding semi ok.

If you have an amp that does the direct out that would be the easiest way to do it. But the BEST way imo would be getting a mic. Some cheap ones aren't expensive and they are nice to have. Just buy a nady mic, a mic cord, and 2 adaptors. The mic xlr to 1/4, then the 1/4in to 1/8th inch for most microphone inputs for computer. Or you could get a cheesy ass xlr to 1/4in chord.
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...

Old 2006-06-11, 19:51
123smokey
Metalhead

what is the direct out? is it the midi slot for the mixer boardsi have a blue voodoo 60 and i think it might have that until i get the mic and all that stuff.

Old 2006-06-12, 01:58
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123smokey
what is the direct out? is it the midi slot for the mixer boardsi have a blue voodoo 60 and i think it might have that until i get the mic and all that stuff.

The direct out on amps is a 1/4in slot (mic ouput in a bass amp) in the back of most guitar heads. If its a combo its usually in teh front and says direct out, or emulation out.

And you basically just plug it directly into a mixer or preamp to you're computer or however you want to set it up
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.

Old 2006-06-12, 02:46
123smokey
Metalhead

thanks man. i think ill just get the mic and be done with it. ah the guitar shop is so far. what program do i use with the mic, and do i have to have a mixer or do i just plug the mic to adapter then to the soundcard

Last edited by 123smokey : 2006-06-12 at 02:51.

Old 2006-06-12, 04:12
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

sorry in advanced if someone has already posted this, but im lazy and i dont feel like looking.

does anyone here use the toneport ux2?
i havent used mine for any kind of serious band recording, just a few solo projects.
should I have a mixer hooked up to it or just plug right in?

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg

Old 2006-06-12, 04:46
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123smokey
thanks man. i think ill just get the mic and be done with it. ah the guitar shop is so far. what program do i use with the mic, and do i have to have a mixer or do i just plug the mic to adapter then to the soundcard

You can either of those. If you have a regular ol mic (a non condenser mic) you can plug it straight into you're sound card. I did this for over 2 years. But then you can also do something like plug it into a mic preamp and then to you're computer. Or you could plug it into a mixer that has a mic preamps in it. Although if you'r egoing to get a mixer (i wouldn't unless you need one) you would need another sound card that you could do a better job of transfering data and sound than through a mic port of a computer. Such as the cheap Emu 440 card. I have this card myself and its not bad, since it has the digital in.

Old 2006-08-13, 11:15
FesteringCorpse
Metalhead

Noob question

I gonna start home recording. Iv'e got hundreds of drum samples i'm using on fruity loops. Once iv'e got my drums done i'll export it to Cool edit pro and record guitars. Very basic. i'm tossing up weather to mike my amp or or plug into this digitech pedal with a line out.(coz my amp don't have one).
Which will give better quality? Miked amp or playing through pedal.

Old 2006-08-14, 01:21
MorbidGuitar
Post-whore

unless you got a good dynamic mic, run the pedal through your amp on clean mode and line-out to the computer. You dont lose any of the clarity this way. If you mic, you'll usually end up losing most of the treble and high-mid range sounds. Depends what type of music you record though, some of you guys around here seem to like the sound of shitty production because its more "br00tal" lol

Old 2006-10-21, 11:54
Carbonized
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmfreak
You can either of those. If you have a regular ol mic (a non condenser mic) you can plug it straight into you're sound card. I did this for over 2 years. But then you can also do something like plug it into a mic preamp and then to you're computer. Or you could plug it into a mixer that has a mic preamps in it. Although if you'r egoing to get a mixer (i wouldn't unless you need one) you would need another sound card that you could do a better job of transfering data and sound than through a mic port of a computer. Such as the cheap Emu 440 card. I have this card myself and its not bad, since it has the digital in.

I have an SM57 and a Behringer mixer. Is this setup good? Guitar>cable>amp>mic in front of amp>mixer>pc. I don't know whether the mixer has a preamp, though.

Old 2006-10-21, 16:52
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonized
I have an SM57 and a Behringer mixer. Is this setup good? Guitar>cable>amp>mic in front of amp>mixer>pc. I don't know whether the mixer has a preamp, though.

Most mixers do, and especially most behringer mixers. That would be your most basic set up ever. As long as you are adhearing to good recording techniques.. that IS the recording way.

Old 2006-10-21, 17:37
Soeru
Post-whore

[QUOTE=FesteringCorpse]I gonna start home recording. Iv'e got hundreds of drum samples i'm using on fruity loops. Once iv'e got my drums done i'll export it to Cool edit pro and record guitars.QUOTE]

Dude how exactly do you do that? I still don't know how to program loops in FL, the help guides are totally useless, got any guides? Also how do you export them to Cool edit pro?

Is it NECESSARY to use a preamp/mixer with preamp after the mic if it's going to go straight into the soundcard? I've gotten some "OK" sounds like that, although my soundcard is shit(24bit/48khz onboard card).

Old 2006-10-25, 08:45
Carbonized
Senior Metalhead

tmfreak: Thanks a lot, man! I'll try and throw in a compressor to compress the sound (signal?), too. I'm sure it'll be confusing with all those wires, buttons and cables but I'll get the hang of it eventually!

Soeru: I don't know but I think mixers are used to either/both amplify the mic signal or/and make it possible to equalise the sound with eq. I guess the way you do it is fine, if it sounds ok. You can always eq the sound with the software, I guess.

Old 2006-10-25, 14:35
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

The deal with it, is being able to use hardware produced effects and realtime alterization. Which i would imagine most people attempting to reallyf ocus on quality would prefer. What i mean by this is putting reverb on a track isn't the same as recordinga track with reverb.

Also a mixer mostly allows you to use multiple mikes and inputs at once, allowing stereo audio and or drum tracking.

Old 2006-11-06, 16:58
Carbonized
Senior Metalhead

By the way, adding gain, eq, etc. to a signal will also increase noise so it's best to have a good sounding signal in the first place than record a shitty signal and rely on tons of editing to get it to sound better after 'cause one ends up with extra noise.

Old 2006-11-07, 01:26
FearFrost
The Mountie From Hell

I have a question about my amp and recording with it:

I have a Peavey XXX (120 watt)

my line out is after my power tubes. I was under the impresstion that i need a special sound card for such an act (connect my head to my PC via line out). If not i could fuck my current shit sound card over.

So, is this true? what sound cards should i look into?

Old 2006-11-07, 15:51
Soeru
Post-whore

NO! Don't use your speaker out unless you're using a proper DI box, attenuator or load of some sort. You will blow your amp's power output transformer. What you CAN do is hook up a DI box like this: http://www.thomann.de/es/millenium_...tive_di_box.htm

with passthrough in your effects loop, then using the "balanced out" line into a mixer/preamp/recording interface(external soundcard) into your computer. Using onboard soundcards for recording generally don't give super good results.

Old 2006-11-07, 19:23
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
NO! Don't use your speaker out unless you're using a proper DI box, attenuator or load of some sort. You will blow your amp's power output transformer. What you CAN do is hook up a DI box like this: http://www.thomann.de/es/millenium_...tive_di_box.htm

with passthrough in your effects loop, then using the "balanced out" line into a mixer/preamp/recording interface(external soundcard) into your computer. Using onboard soundcards for recording generally don't give super good results.

Isn't line out different than speaker out? I mean.. he did say line out.

Old 2006-11-08, 14:13
Soeru
Post-whore

Look at what he posted:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearFrost

my line out is after my power tubes

After his powertubes means the "speaker out", where you connect a cab to. Not a "line-out" like after the preamp like some cheap SS heads have like the Marshall MG's have.

If you turn on a head without a sufficient load(cab or attenuator or special DI of some sort with the correct Ohmage and power rating) connected to the speaker out it will blow the amp's power output transformer and possibly fry the tubes, a very expensive repair.

What you want is a DI box and a USB/Firewire recording interface. Or replace "DI box" with a dynamic(XLR) microphone.

Last edited by Soeru : 2006-11-08 at 14:18.

Old 2006-11-12, 03:21
lugzz
New Blood

hey guys....this is my first post here so i hope covers are ok...anyway the songs on there were all recorded on my pc with a sbaudigy2 soundcard. guitars were recorded with POD 2.0 and the bass with BASS POD. i made the drum track myself on flstudio6...the drums were all exported to their individual wav and imported into adobe audition where all the recording and mixing was done...anyways i'm babbling ....let me know what you think...thnx

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pag...m?bandID=601781

Old 2006-11-23, 12:48
Bloodsoaked666
Senior Metalhead

Check out my Soundclick page for the 6 songs I have recorded with my PC. All Death Metal songs.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pag...m?bandID=481840

Peter

Old 2006-12-09, 01:47
deathxleprosyx
Senior Metalhead
Banned

I am trying to record some thrash stuff on my computer but i need something that can multitrack and wont cost me alot of money u guys know anything

Old 2006-12-10, 21:06
espmetalmonster
Metalhead

Hey guys, ive been thinking about buying this soundcard:
E-MU 0404 Digital Audio System

I'd like to run the line out in my amp through it, and then through cubase, but would I get a good sound? Would I need to run it through a mixer or eq?

Cheers,
Alex

Old 2006-12-14, 03:08
Bloodsoaked666
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathxleprosyx
I am trying to record some thrash stuff on my computer but i need something that can multitrack and wont cost me alot of money u guys know anything

I use Mixcraft: http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/ $40 and can multi track with no problems!!!! Great product!!!

Peter

Old 2007-01-15, 02:28
John Holland
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodsoaked666
I use Mixcraft: http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/ $40 and can multi track with no problems!!!! Great product!!!

Peter

Hey Bloodsoaked, how did you record your guitar? A preamp direct in or by micing it?

Old 2007-04-22, 00:04
Gorguts
New Blood

Hey guys I need some major helps. I have my 1/4 to 1/8 plugged in then my Line 6 distortion Pod and my 7 string axe. Now I made some tasty drums in FL and add it to a multi session track in Cool Edit Pro. I have my drums panned at 0. So in tracks 2 and 3 I want to do my guitar, 2 being left and 3 being right so it comes thou both speakers. This doesn't work. When I hit record everything is mono. It all comes thou the right speaker. Why is this? My sound card doesn't support stereo recording? Helps and sugjections are needed!

Old 2007-04-28, 19:00
Demigod
Metalhead

i just baught roxio record now music lab 9 and i can't figure out how to multitrack help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!