MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording
User Name
Password

Old 2006-08-13, 06:15
Metalhead

Noob question

I gonna start home recording. Iv'e got hundreds of drum samples i'm using on fruity loops. Once iv'e got my drums done i'll export it to Cool edit pro and record guitars. Very basic. i'm tossing up weather to mike my amp or or plug into this digitech pedal with a line out.(coz my amp don't have one).
Which will give better quality? Miked amp or playing through pedal.
Old 2006-08-13, 20:21
Post-whore

unless you got a good dynamic mic, run the pedal through your amp on clean mode and line-out to the computer. You dont lose any of the clarity this way. If you mic, you'll usually end up losing most of the treble and high-mid range sounds. Depends what type of music you record though, some of you guys around here seem to like the sound of shitty production because its more "br00tal" lol
Old 2006-10-21, 06:54
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmfreak
You can either of those. If you have a regular ol mic (a non condenser mic) you can plug it straight into you're sound card. I did this for over 2 years. But then you can also do something like plug it into a mic preamp and then to you're computer. Or you could plug it into a mixer that has a mic preamps in it. Although if you'r egoing to get a mixer (i wouldn't unless you need one) you would need another sound card that you could do a better job of transfering data and sound than through a mic port of a computer. Such as the cheap Emu 440 card. I have this card myself and its not bad, since it has the digital in.

I have an SM57 and a Behringer mixer. Is this setup good? Guitar>cable>amp>mic in front of amp>mixer>pc. I don't know whether the mixer has a preamp, though.
Old 2006-10-21, 11:52
Slayer of dumb cunts

Send a message via AIM to tmfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonized
I have an SM57 and a Behringer mixer. Is this setup good? Guitar>cable>amp>mic in front of amp>mixer>pc. I don't know whether the mixer has a preamp, though.

Most mixers do, and especially most behringer mixers. That would be your most basic set up ever. As long as you are adhearing to good recording techniques.. that IS the recording way.
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...
Old 2006-10-21, 12:37
Post-whore

[QUOTE=FesteringCorpse]I gonna start home recording. Iv'e got hundreds of drum samples i'm using on fruity loops. Once iv'e got my drums done i'll export it to Cool edit pro and record guitars.QUOTE]

Dude how exactly do you do that? I still don't know how to program loops in FL, the help guides are totally useless, got any guides? Also how do you export them to Cool edit pro?

Is it NECESSARY to use a preamp/mixer with preamp after the mic if it's going to go straight into the soundcard? I've gotten some "OK" sounds like that, although my soundcard is shit(24bit/48khz onboard card).

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)
Old 2006-10-25, 03:45
Senior Metalhead

tmfreak: Thanks a lot, man! I'll try and throw in a compressor to compress the sound (signal?), too. I'm sure it'll be confusing with all those wires, buttons and cables but I'll get the hang of it eventually!

Soeru: I don't know but I think mixers are used to either/both amplify the mic signal or/and make it possible to equalise the sound with eq. I guess the way you do it is fine, if it sounds ok. You can always eq the sound with the software, I guess.
Old 2006-10-25, 09:35
Slayer of dumb cunts

The deal with it, is being able to use hardware produced effects and realtime alterization. Which i would imagine most people attempting to reallyf ocus on quality would prefer. What i mean by this is putting reverb on a track isn't the same as recordinga track with reverb.

Also a mixer mostly allows you to use multiple mikes and inputs at once, allowing stereo audio and or drum tracking.
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
Old 2006-11-06, 12:58
Senior Metalhead

By the way, adding gain, eq, etc. to a signal will also increase noise so it's best to have a good sounding signal in the first place than record a shitty signal and rely on tons of editing to get it to sound better after 'cause one ends up with extra noise.
Old 2006-11-06, 21:26
The Mountie From Hell

Send a message via MSN to FearFrost
I have a question about my amp and recording with it:

I have a Peavey XXX (120 watt)

my line out is after my power tubes. I was under the impresstion that i need a special sound card for such an act (connect my head to my PC via line out). If not i could fuck my current shit sound card over.

So, is this true? what sound cards should i look into?
Old 2006-11-07, 11:51
Post-whore

NO! Don't use your speaker out unless you're using a proper DI box, attenuator or load of some sort. You will blow your amp's power output transformer. What you CAN do is hook up a DI box like this: http://www.thomann.de/es/millenium_...tive_di_box.htm

with passthrough in your effects loop, then using the "balanced out" line into a mixer/preamp/recording interface(external soundcard) into your computer. Using onboard soundcards for recording generally don't give super good results.
Old 2006-11-07, 15:23
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
NO! Don't use your speaker out unless you're using a proper DI box, attenuator or load of some sort. You will blow your amp's power output transformer. What you CAN do is hook up a DI box like this: http://www.thomann.de/es/millenium_...tive_di_box.htm

with passthrough in your effects loop, then using the "balanced out" line into a mixer/preamp/recording interface(external soundcard) into your computer. Using onboard soundcards for recording generally don't give super good results.

Isn't line out different than speaker out? I mean.. he did say line out.
Old 2006-11-08, 10:13
Post-whore

Look at what he posted:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FearFrost

my line out is after my power tubes

After his powertubes means the "speaker out", where you connect a cab to. Not a "line-out" like after the preamp like some cheap SS heads have like the Marshall MG's have.

If you turn on a head without a sufficient load(cab or attenuator or special DI of some sort with the correct Ohmage and power rating) connected to the speaker out it will blow the amp's power output transformer and possibly fry the tubes, a very expensive repair.

What you want is a DI box and a USB/Firewire recording interface. Or replace "DI box" with a dynamic(XLR) microphone.

Last edited by Soeru : 2006-11-08 at 10:18.
Old 2006-11-11, 23:21
New Blood

hey guys....this is my first post here so i hope covers are ok...anyway the songs on there were all recorded on my pc with a sbaudigy2 soundcard. guitars were recorded with POD 2.0 and the bass with BASS POD. i made the drum track myself on flstudio6...the drums were all exported to their individual wav and imported into adobe audition where all the recording and mixing was done...anyways i'm babbling ....let me know what you think...thnx

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pag...m?bandID=601781
Old 2006-11-23, 08:48
Senior Metalhead

Check out my Soundclick page for the 6 songs I have recorded with my PC. All Death Metal songs.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pag...m?bandID=481840

Peter
Old 2006-12-08, 21:47
Senior Metalhead
Banned

I am trying to record some thrash stuff on my computer but i need something that can multitrack and wont cost me alot of money u guys know anything
Old 2006-12-10, 17:06
Metalhead

Hey guys, ive been thinking about buying this soundcard:
E-MU 0404 Digital Audio System

I'd like to run the line out in my amp through it, and then through cubase, but would I get a good sound? Would I need to run it through a mixer or eq?

Cheers,
Alex
Old 2006-12-13, 23:08
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathxleprosyx
I am trying to record some thrash stuff on my computer but i need something that can multitrack and wont cost me alot of money u guys know anything

I use Mixcraft: http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/ $40 and can multi track with no problems!!!! Great product!!!

Peter
Old 2007-01-14, 22:28
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

Send a message via AIM to John Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodsoaked666
I use Mixcraft: http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/ $40 and can multi track with no problems!!!! Great product!!!

Peter

Hey Bloodsoaked, how did you record your guitar? A preamp direct in or by micing it?
Old 2007-04-21, 19:04
New Blood

Hey guys I need some major helps. I have my 1/4 to 1/8 plugged in then my Line 6 distortion Pod and my 7 string axe. Now I made some tasty drums in FL and add it to a multi session track in Cool Edit Pro. I have my drums panned at 0. So in tracks 2 and 3 I want to do my guitar, 2 being left and 3 being right so it comes thou both speakers. This doesn't work. When I hit record everything is mono. It all comes thou the right speaker. Why is this? My sound card doesn't support stereo recording? Helps and sugjections are needed!
Old 2007-04-28, 14:00
Metalhead

i just baught roxio record now music lab 9 and i can't figure out how to multitrack help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!