MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2008-09-10, 14:18
XIII
New Blood

Amp set-up/Half-Stack

Hey,

I've recently just gotten back into guitar after a year's rest due to work, study etc... Atm I've got a Ibanez S520EX as my main axe and a Marshall MG100DFX with a Boss Gt-6. Now the Marshall's fan is busted AGAIN and I can't be bothered with it anymore. I'm currently looking for a new amp set-up, possible a half-stack for if I start playin gigs again with a limit of around $1000 Australian. I've done some research and know Randall, Peavey, Mesa Boogie, Ampeg are all good brands. The set-up I'm lookin for is a good Metal tone from the Amp, with the GT connected to the Line-In - Out for Effects. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Old 2008-09-10, 22:43
Carbonized
Senior Metalhead

Well, the golden rule is as you know, to go and try different amps and see (hear ) for yourself which one you like most.

I'm looking for a new amp set-up too and I've got a Peavey 6505+ head and a Randall 2 x 12" + 1 + 15" cab in my mind, but they're just temporary. I've yet to try the Peavey head at the local store.
If I don't like it, I'm considering going for an Engl or a Randall.

By the way, I checked the Ampeg website. I only saw bass amps. I'm 99% sure they make guitar amps, too. This is embarassing. I don't know anything about a big brand like Ampeg.

Old 2008-09-11, 23:46
Auyard
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonized
Well, the golden rule is as you know, to go and try different amps and see (hear ) for yourself which one you like most.

I'm looking for a new amp set-up too and I've got a Peavey 6505+ head and a Randall 2 x 12" + 1 + 15" cab in my mind, but they're just temporary. I've yet to try the Peavey head at the local store.
If I don't like it, I'm considering going for an Engl or a Randall.

By the way, I checked the Ampeg website. I only saw bass amps. I'm 99% sure they make guitar amps, too. This is embarassing. I don't know anything about a big brand like Ampeg.

They quit making guitar amps like the Ampeg VH140c but they can be found on ebay sometimes and at a very good price usually. They are Solid State and bands like Suffocation and Dying Fetus used them....Both heads and combos. They made other guitar amps I believe but thats the only one I really know of.

Old 2008-09-12, 16:51
Carbonized
Senior Metalhead

Oh, I just remembered that the Suffocation guitarists recorded "Effigy..." with an Ampeg VH140c. And as regards Dying Fetus... that would explain why I saw Ampeg amps in the background in one of their music videos.

This is making me re-consider trying out some solid-state amps before I get my new amp. Even Dimebag used to say that solid-state amps have more gain.

Old 2008-09-13, 00:15
ThongPick
New Blood

I just bought an Ampeg vh140c and i have a vader 4x12 on the way too. Fuck yeah!!! Going to give you news about that in 2 week when both of them arrive in my house.

Old 2008-09-13, 13:25
Carbonized
Senior Metalhead

Thanks a lot, ThongPick. You know, I was reading that solid-state amps got a bad name because of the bad first amps that were made. The technology nowadays has improved greatly.

Old 2008-09-15, 12:05
XIII
New Blood

I started checking out amps at the local stores, they don't have much in the range of high profile amps but i came across the Randall RX120DH and I was quite impressed considering like you's say Solid State has had a bad rep but it was quite reasonable priced. I shall still continue lookin though up at the city but for price I haven't found anything that'll beat it.

Old 2008-09-24, 09:09
Carbonized
Senior Metalhead

Since you mentioned solid-state amps, you might want to check out my thread on solid-state amps vs. all-tube amps. It's in this section of the forum (Gear & Recording).

Old 2008-10-21, 20:44
arvina
Post-whore

what type of tone are you looking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
nah man, nah, I had an itchy ballsack!

forget wall of marshalls look at this wall of engls!
http://www.engl-amps.com/pics/newsp..._stevemorse.jpg

www.tdiclub.com

Old 2008-10-23, 05:53
Carbonized
Senior Metalhead

arvina: Me? I like Dimebag (R.I.P.)'s tone as well as Suffocation's on "Effigy...", Immolation's on "Dawn..." and the Dying Fetus tone in general. The typical scooped mids tone, I guess.