MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2008-08-24, 17:49
ShitFlowsInYourVeins
Senior Metalhead

Head for Death Metal

my band will be starting to gig later this year and i need an amp head that will give me a good death metal sound on stage. i plan to pair it with a Vader cab. my limit is probably about £400 or $800 (im am in the UK and if im buying from the states shipping will have to be taken into account), and i would prefer not to buy used, although i will if i have to. are there any amps in this price bracket that will do the job? i have my eye on an Engl Powerball long-term, but i need something that will do me until i have the money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
My mother's purple strap-on.

Old 2008-08-25, 05:14
the_bleeding
Post-whore

with that budget you will be going used indefinately. You say you're in the uk? Dont spend all the money on shipping for a vader, get a custom built cab from the matamp guys with some eminence v12 speakers or maybe a mix of celestion v30's and g12t75's. It will be much cheaper for you, and you could probably have them oversize it.

Anyways, for head, maybe a marshall 8100, or peavey 6505... maybe even a used engl fireball if you can find one. Just try not to buy from the states, it really kills your budget with shipping.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2008-08-25, 10:38
ShitFlowsInYourVeins
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
with that budget you will be going used indefinately. You say you're in the uk? Dont spend all the money on shipping for a vader, get a custom built cab from the matamp guys with some eminence v12 speakers or maybe a mix of celestion v30's and g12t75's. It will be much cheaper for you, and you could probably have them oversize it.

Anyways, for head, maybe a marshall 8100, or peavey 6505... maybe even a used engl fireball if you can find one. Just try not to buy from the states, it really kills your budget with shipping.

when you say marshall 8100 you mean a valvestate? yeah ive been looking at those and if i can find one used i will go for it. if i could find a bit more to add to my budget would the peavey or the fireball be a better bet?
Quote:

Old 2008-08-27, 15:53
ShitFlowsInYourVeins
Senior Metalhead

bit out of my price range but i can get a used 5150 with the 4x12 cab for £700. is this a good enough deal for me to stump up the extra money?
Quote:

Old 2008-08-28, 09:34
ShitFlowsInYourVeins
Senior Metalhead

options -

used peavey 5150 w/ 4x12 cab - £700
used engl fireball head - £650 (would have to buy a cab)
used marshall valvestate 8100 - around £200-£250 (would have to buy cab)

advice?
Quote:

Old 2008-08-28, 19:11
the_bleeding
Post-whore

i'd say go for the 5150 personally. The fireball has this problem when you crank it up, it gets really nasty sounding in a bad way. Harsh treble.

5150 is quite the mainstay metal amp. Also sounds heavier than the 8100... although the 8100 can get quite heavy, the 5150 has a more raw grind to it. the 8100 still sounds marshally (as it should hahaha)

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cf...riendID=1146378
theres some 5150 grind.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2008-08-28, 19:31
ShitFlowsInYourVeins
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
i'd say go for the 5150 personally. The fireball has this problem when you crank it up, it gets really nasty sounding in a bad way. Harsh treble.

5150 is quite the mainstay metal amp. Also sounds heavier than the 8100... although the 8100 can get quite heavy, the 5150 has a more raw grind to it. the 8100 still sounds marshally (as it should hahaha)

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cf...riendID=1146378
theres some 5150 grind.

thanks for the reply, im leaning towards the 5150 as well.
Quote:

Old 2008-08-29, 07:35
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShitFlowsInYourVeins
thanks for the reply, im leaning towards the 5150 as well.

Honestly, go play one. Make sure the volume is near yelling volume because the brutal gain wont show through if its playing at a whisper. I guarantee you will find it suitable for metal.

Also, they come from the factory with a VERY cold powertube bias so you should probably mod it for a variable bias to warm up them tubes, which will make it sound worlds better than it already does.

Old 2008-09-02, 11:21
Carbonized
Senior Metalhead

Question

I'm looking into getting a new head, too, as my Marshall amp doesn't seem to have enough gain. (I could get an overdrive pedal I guess but maybe it's not worth spending the money. I'll try and part-exchange the two Marshall amps I have for a Peavey 6505 head.)

What I wanted to ask was: The Peavey 6505 is the re-issue of the 5150, right?
And there's the 6505 Plus which has an extra 12ax7 tube in the preamp section. Sorry if this is a stupid question but what difference would the additional tube make to the sound, if any?

Old 2008-09-03, 17:58
ShitFlowsInYourVeins
Senior Metalhead

had my heart set on getting a 5150/6505 but i saw this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MARSHALL-VALV...id=p3286.c0.m14

if it stays like this do i go for it?
Quote:

Old 2008-09-03, 22:48
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:

I'm personally not a fan of the amp, but from an economic standpoint, you could buy it like that and sell it for more
But hey, if you get it, and plug it in, and like it, whats to stop you from keeping it?

Old 2008-09-04, 16:23
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

Quote:

Don't bother with a Valvestate unless its an 8100. I'd reccomend a 5150 if you're dead set on tubes. For anything else, a crate Shockwave or if you can find one, an Ampeg VH-140c.