MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording
User Name
Password

Old 2008-10-23, 00:50
Senior Metalhead

Yeah lol I know... I'm doing it backwards. But you see my point though, right? By using the same cab with different heads, you'll be keeping one variable constant hence ensuring that the different amps' characters "come out" more. Or something like that.

As for the cab... I agree with you that a 4 x 12" is all I need but I don't know whether you remember or not... I'm currently playing a 7-string and cabs with a 15" speaker can handle the lower frequencies better, of course. I still plan on getting a 4 x 12" cab though, to put on top of the cab with the 15" speakers. It will be a full stack.

So, what about you? If I remember correctly, you said you were looking for a head too? Did you manage to find one you like yet?
Old 2008-10-23, 10:15
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to the_bleeding
K, just guna make an example here. Cannibal corpse uses 7 strings downtuned to Bb. They use mesa/crate 4x12's

Meshuggah uses 8 strings downtuned to F#. They also use mesa 4x12's or just a PA system where applicable.

The Safety Fire uses 6 strings downtuned to A, and use marshall and engl 4x12's.

I know it sounds awesome to have a 15 inch speaker to handle more low frequencies, but you will get alot of lows with a 4x12. And if you have too much bass, your tone will get muddy, and palm mutes will get loose and saggy.

Now, majority of your tone comes from your amp. Speakers only help translate it and modify it slightly to create the sound. That being said, I highly recommend getting a head you like first, and then finding a cab that sounds good with it. Yes soem cabs look good on paper, but when matched with a head it all comes down to what your ears perceive, and not what is said in writing. And the head you like might not match up well with the cab that has good statistics for what you think you want. If i were you, the way i would go about it is i would find a head i really like first, and then try it out with different cabs, even the one with the 15 inch speaker to see if it works. If it works, then all is good, but if it doesnt work, you dont have to be disappointed that you already bought the cab.

And no, i havent found the amp i want. Nobody in canada carries ENGL amps... saaaaaaaaad panda
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!
Old 2008-10-27, 01:40
Senior Metalhead

Yeah, as a matter of fact I'm not too happy with my 7-string. Sometimes I wish I had a 6-string tuned down to Eb. (I could do that on my 7-string by tuning all seven strings down half a step but then I'd have that seventh string in the way.)

Anyhow...

Regarding amp heads... yes, you get the cab to match the head not vice versa. One has to first find a head that has the features and sound they like and then find a cab that goes well with that sound.
I guess I said I was going to get the cab first because the 7-string cabs all come with the same type of speakers (Celestion Legends 15") so there's only one kind of cab in that case. And I'm thinking of getting a full-stack so I'd have to get a second cab with 12" speakers anyway. (Of course then I'd have to try out different cabs.)

But I'm glad to say that the 'puzzle' is coming together. I'm learning more and more about amps. Now I just need to go try some amps out and see what my crazy ears like.

Oh, ENGL amps aren't available in Canada? I'm surprised. Have you tried contacting ENGL to see what they say?
And of course, you could find out where the nearest ENGL dealer in the U.S. is and go and try some amps. It depends how far you live.
Old 2008-10-28, 01:33
Post-whore

another thing i thought of over the weekend regardign such cabs is whether or not you play with a bassist. Dont wanna drown him out on the low end

but yeah, about the engls, there are no dealers close to me, and if i were to import, id have to pay huge taxes on them.... and pay full price. I prefer to buy used, and there are just no used engls up here.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!
Old 2008-10-30, 05:19
Senior Metalhead

That's right. That's why when you downtune too much, the guitar enters bass territory and the two blend together and there's less distinction between them. I'm thinking of a certain Brutal Death Metal band that downtunes their guitars a few steps past B and as a matter of fact, the bass can't be heard distinctly.

I've said it before in some other thread. I don't think I'll ever tune down past B. As a matter of fact, B is sometimes too low for me. But for now, I'll have to stick with my 7-stringer 'cause the money I've got saved will go for a new amp and cab.

Maybe perhaps there's a sort of solution to get more clarity when you've got 7-string guitars and 5-string basses: You use the bridge pickups and stuff.

Regarding ENGL... from what you said about importing one, I get the impression that you live far from the nearest ENGL dealer in the U.S. 'cause I was thinking like you could go to the U.S. to try one and see whether you like it. (The things we go through for Metal! haha)
Or else, I don't know whether this is a good idea but you could try eBay.
Old 2008-11-06, 15:42
Post-whore

i could import and/or try ebay, but then i have to pay a 7% tax, and then some brokerage fees and things that usually run to about 10%. When i imported my marshall, the price went from 800 to 1200 from these fees.
Old 2008-11-07, 12:33
Senior Metalhead

I see.

Over here in Europe, we're supposed to have tax-free import laws, but if one imports from the U.S. or other countries besides Europe, then they'd have to pay tax.

So, you'd have to pay tax even if you like drive to the U.S. and go and get it yourself? I guess this is a somewhat stupid question 'cause you'd still end up having to pay for a lot of gas, huh?