Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > MetalTabs.com > News

Old 2008-08-14, 09:51
nomad
round the world
Administrator

Smile Legal issues - update II

Just a quick update on the recent changes to the website:
  • We've made at least two iterations of contacting the bands. We have permissions from most bands that replied.
  • I made available the tabs for bands we could not reach. Some of the bands had no contact information whatsoever, some were long since split-up, some did not answer to any of our requests.
  • We are still receiving answers from bands that were already contacted. We will wait a few months and add more tabs from the bands that don't respond.
  • We have received a blessing from Peaceville Records, expect My Dying Bride, Katatonia and other their bands to be available soon.
  • The most frequent rant was that there was no way to tell if the tab is available for download or not until actually downloading it. As we now have quite a few available tabs, I removed the links to all the others. I also added separate lists for the bands that still didn't answer, and the obvious Hall of Shame (clickey!)
Cheers,
Alex & Co

Old 2008-08-14, 09:59
nomad
round the world
Administrator

Forgot to mention, the tab rating is now calculated only for the available tabs. I'm sorry for the change in ratings but I think it's fair, the users can see only those tabs. Thanks for understanding!

Old 2008-08-14, 13:11
Amadeus
Quantum.

Understanding? Man, you're sweeping the Augeian stables of money grubbing music industry here. Great work!

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2008-08-14, 14:46
Paddy
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

I wish other tab sites would take a leaf out of your book, Nomad, instead of just biting the pillow the minute a take down order arrives in their inbox. Fuckin' MPA really have no legs to stand on when you think about it, and you've pretty much proved that.

Thanks for your efforts!

Old 2008-08-16, 02:28
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Quick question, what does the "Top 20 bands" on the homepage mean? How is the score/percentage determined?

Old 2008-08-16, 05:07
nomad
round the world
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalThrashingMad
Quick question, what does the "Top 20 bands" on the homepage mean? How is the score/percentage determined?

When someone opens a tab, this hit is registered in the database. Once an hour we calculate the number of hits for each band as a sum of hits of all their tabs.

We then sort the bands by the number of hits in the last 2 weeks. The top band gets 100%, the other bands - the percentage of the number of hits of the top band.

For example, if we have bands X, Y and Z with 1000, 2000 and 1500 hits, the list will be:

Y - 100% (100%*2000/2000)
Z - 75% (100%*1500/2000)
X - 50% (100%*1000/2000)

Last edited by nomad : 2008-08-16 at 05:10.

Old 2008-08-16, 15:06
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Oh cool, that makes perfect sense And Sodom and Toxik are in the top 20!!!

Old 2008-08-16, 22:54
FearFrost
The Mountie From Hell

i must say, you have done well!

Old 2008-08-30, 00:49
Licky Webster
Metalhead

By the way, you can go ahead and pull 'The Day Everything Became Nothing' out of that pending bands list and put them back online.
You have a green light from their label 'No Escape Records' (which is run by TDEBN's guitar player).

Old 2008-09-02, 23:23
nomad
round the world
Administrator

I will check it this weekend.

Old 2008-09-05, 01:12
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

I think you're going above and beyond, Alex. Even though I don't even play much anymore all you do is terrific.

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!

Old 2008-09-08, 18:02
the_bleeding
Post-whore

im happy to see this site making a comeback. It got REALLY quiet after the tabs disappeared.

on a side note, Gorgoroth doesnt want tabs of them? What a joke! I tab their songs for breakfast hahahah.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2008-11-05, 08:04
Licky Webster
Metalhead

Another thing, i dont know if this came up or not, but cannibal corpse have a whole 'tabs' section on their myspace. They actually link to their page on Metaltabs.

Check it out:
http://profile.myspace.com/cannibalcorpse
On the left, scroll down.

If you still want them to confirm it themselves and can't get a hold of them, i suggest you message Alex through myspace. He always answers.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cf...iendid=13956323

Old 2008-12-01, 14:25
Nemesis9
Metalhead

Just wanted to ask, wheter there are news / new tabs available?

Old 2008-12-06, 23:12
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licky Webster
Another thing, i dont know if this came up or not, but cannibal corpse have a whole 'tabs' section on their myspace. They actually link to their page on Metaltabs.

Check it out:
http://profile.myspace.com/cannibalcorpse
On the left, scroll down.

If you still want them to confirm it themselves and can't get a hold of them, i suggest you message Alex through myspace. He always answers.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cf...iendid=13956323

That's actually kind of funny. They have us listed in their links, but the link redirects because our CC page is down right now. Maybe I'll do some CC stuff now that I know it will actually be posted.

Old 2009-02-03, 18:19
Licky Webster
Metalhead

I'm working on tabs from the new album. Hope this gets sorted soon... I don't want to post them on any other site.

Old 2009-03-10, 22:03
pull_the_plug
Metalhead

Nice job Alex & co! This is my first time at the site in a very long while and I wasn't sure what to expect when I came back...

Old 2009-04-06, 02:06
Father Death
Forum Reverend
Forum Leader

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pull_the_plug
Nice job Alex & co! This is my first time at the site in a very long while and I wasn't sure what to expect when I came back...

same here big guy. everything is looking better for sure.

Old 2009-06-22, 18:08
Licky Webster
Metalhead

Seems like things have halted for a while now...
There are some bands who have been under that yellow mark for far too long.
What's up with that?

Old 2009-09-09, 11:11
Paddy
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

I noticed that one of the bands on the site has a split status icon - half green, half yellow. Is this intentional?

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/3994/93232159.png

Is it a case of having permission from the band but not the label, or vice versa?

If a band member is in contact with fans, quite happily discussing fan-made tabs and offering tips and comments, could we take that as implicit permission to offer their tabs here? I've been in contact with Anathema myself and discussed my tabs with them (and the forum they frequent has tabs posted on it from other users, apparently without any issues), and I can dig up conversations between another tabber I know and the lead guitarist from Cradle of Filth in which they discuss tunings for certain tabs. I'm sure other users here could offer similar information. Is it worth while posting said information if it doesn't amount to a direct "I hereby approve of fan-made tabs"?

Cheers mate!

Old 2009-09-09, 11:18
nomad
round the world
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
I noticed that one of the bands on the site has a split status icon - half green, half yellow. Is this intentional?

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/3994/93232159.png

Is it a case of having permission from the band but not the label, or vice versa?

It's in the FAQ, this happens when for one album we have a permission from a label, and the other album was with another label and we don't have permission for it (yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
If a band member is in contact with fans, quite happily discussing fan-made tabs and offering tips and comments, could we take that as implicit permission to offer their tabs here? I've been in contact with Anathema myself and discussed my tabs with them (and the forum they frequent has tabs posted on it from other users, apparently without any issues), and I can dig up conversations between another tabber I know and the lead guitarist from Cradle of Filth in which they discuss tunings for certain tabs. I'm sure other users here could offer similar information. Is it worth while posting said information if it doesn't amount to a direct "I hereby approve of fan-made tabs"?

Well, discussing tabs with fans is not the same as allowing to publish them on the website. If you made contact with a band, just ask them to send us a short email telling that they don't mind if we put up their tabs.

Thanks!

Old 2009-09-09, 11:35
Paddy
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad
It's in the FAQ, this happens when for one album we have a permission from a label, and the other album was with another label and we don't have permission for it (yet).
Ahhh sorry, I thought I looked there haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad
Well, discussing tabs with fans is not the same as allowing to publish them on the website. If you made contact with a band, just ask them to send us a short email telling that they don't mind if we put up their tabs.

Thanks!
Will do