MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2008-08-11, 23:07
Amplitude
Metalhead

ADA MP-1

I am about to score one for 100 bucks (its missing the top, but thats nothing a piece of plate and a plasma cutter can't fix ). I actually haven't played one before but its so cheap, I could just resell and make a profit if I don't like it. I want to know some thoughts on this, and I also want to know what are some of the best mods to bring it up to Death Metal levels. I want a very clean distortion, as in not too fuzzy but not to tight either. I just want a happy medium that will give me a good sound for recording and a bit of versatility. I also like to boost my mids a bit but I have an EQ so that's not too much of a problem.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Cheers

Old 2008-08-12, 05:28
the_bleeding
Post-whore

stock, they sound like shit. I must admit. But get a 3-tube mod (guy adds another tube to it) and it will sound PIMP. It can get very saturated and brutal. I heard a guy with a 3-tube modded one go from roland JC-120 clean to full on cannibal corpse rhythm with his. It was sweet. You can get alot out of it.
The one downside is that it has a slight delay between channel switching, but that only matters if you're a dumbass and can't incorporate it in your groove.

Also, you really need a decent (preferably tube) poweramp to make it really sound good... peavey and vht have pretty good ones. Vht being better of course.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2008-08-12, 06:21
Amplitude
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
stock, they sound like shit. I must admit. But get a 3-tube mod (guy adds another tube to it) and it will sound PIMP. It can get very saturated and brutal. I heard a guy with a 3-tube modded one go from roland JC-120 clean to full on cannibal corpse rhythm with his. It was sweet. You can get alot out of it.
The one downside is that it has a slight delay between channel switching, but that only matters if you're a dumbass and can't incorporate it in your groove.

Also, you really need a decent (preferably tube) poweramp to make it really sound good... peavey and vht have pretty good ones. Vht being better of course.
Well, I'm doing the mod myself. I really don't have the cash to get the 3TM done. I was thinking more along the lines of the 3.666 mod or the Mod 4 or something like that. I wouldn't know how to do a 3TM myself. I think I will end up doing something along the lines of the 3.666 but modify it to my own tastes. From what I have heard, the MP-1 has more than enough gain for anything practical, and I think the 3TM would accomplish what I could probably do without adding a tube.