MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2002-11-23, 15:02
Freezer666

amp-pedal

i never got a straight answer on this question so here goes...
i have a not-really-good marshall 10w (the distortion is quite ugly)...
and heres what im wondering...should i get a new amp first, or a pedal?
would the amp's shitty quality influence the pedal that much?
cause i dont have 500$ right now, but i have enough for a pedal(i think

any idea which one to go for first?

with xmas coming soon i could prolly get a nice part of the pedal paid, so its made me wonder

Old 2002-11-23, 15:56
mrweijia
Post-whore

pedals are a hella lot cheaper than amps, so if you can get a pedal for christmas, go for it. then save your money for a good amp.

Old 2002-11-23, 19:11
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

don't bother, you amp will still sound pretty crappy, 10 watts isn't much man, you should save up for an amp (the distortion will be better ofcourse)

a distortion pedal comes in handy though, even when you get a 100 w amp, it's nice to have one, you can make diffrent sorts of distortions with pedals.

you current amp won't sound much better, but you can already buy a fx pedal, it will improve your sound but not much cuz of your crappy amp.

you can buy the pedal and then save up money but you do need to get a better amp man, then you'll have serious fun with your distortion pedal

Old 2002-11-24, 00:49
Freezer666

hmm...considering the metalzone...
do they have a good lifespan? i mean do they break easily etc...cause it might be a while before i get another amp ehehehehhee

Old 2002-11-24, 09:33
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

they last forever, you can throw them around and shit, boss makes quality stuff, do get an adapter though cuz you don't want to keep changing batteries. the pedals are practically indestructibe

Old 2002-11-26, 11:05
Midnight
Senior Metalhead

You know Def.. I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one.. I still haven't gotten my warp 7 yet and I use my MT-2 on my shitty 15 watt amp and it made a HUUUUGE difference..

it lacks complete bottom end because well.. my amp can't produce any bottom end but it did help quite a bit.. The only thing you have to be careful is if you get a GE-7 pedal.. that can make your amp distort like a mother fucker if it's a low power amp. But the pedal does make a huge difference even on smaller amps.. but like I said it's going to sound like a buzzsaw almost because it has zero bottom end..

if you want to know what mine sounds like with zero bottom end listen to like Nile - Unas Slayer of the Gods... My pedal sounds alot like that with my shit ass amp.. I think it's a cool sound but I really want bottom end which I will have in like 2 weeks so all is good.. but yeah i'm rambling..

Old 2002-11-26, 18:29
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

yeah, I know what you mean man, but the diffrence still won't be the sound he wanted, ofcourse it will make some diffrence, like I said, it will improve the sound but if he'd also get a descent amp he will get the results he want to.

you're right about the diffrence, ofcourse your amp will sound different, but just watch what happens if you hook it up to a descent amp!

I think I'm a bit spoiled, you know, I only get to hear the kickass amps and I've never owned a small amp myself, hehe, maybe that's my problem, any 15w amp sounds crappy to me...