MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2008-06-22, 15:12
livingaftermidnight
New Blood

BBE Sonic Stomp doesn't seem to make a difference

I bought a BBE Sonic Stomp pedal, and it sounded great on the amp at the guitar store. When I brought this thing home and plugged into my amp, it doesn't seem to make a difference.

The guy at the guitar store mentioned that I was hooking it up wrong. I had it hooked through the guitar chain and then into the front of my amp. Instead, I plugged it into the effects loop (last in the chain after a Decimator Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor) and it STILL doesn't sound any different.

It's really disappointing because I've heard someone elses BBE Sonic Stomp pedal with my amp and it had a really nice sound.

I don't know why mine doesn't seem to make a difference though. This is the first time I've owned an amp with an effects loop so I'm sure I'm forgetting something that's intuitive to everyone else!

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks so much!

Old 2008-06-22, 16:50
the_bleeding
Post-whore

what amp are you using, and whats the volume level.

sonic maximizers really start working at louder volume levels because the do something to the phase of certain frequencies that change at higher volumes due to speaker inefficiency... or something like that.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2008-06-22, 17:42
livingaftermidnight
New Blood

I'm using a Peavey 5150 amp and the volume level is normally at 3. This is the level it's at for band practice.

Old 2008-06-22, 20:32
the_bleeding
Post-whore

what are your settings?
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2008-06-22, 23:34
livingaftermidnight
New Blood

Peavey 5150 Settings

Guitar Input is plugged into Normal Gain input on amp.

Lead Channel
Pre-Gain 3
Low 6
Mid 4
High 7
Post Gain 3
Resonance 7.5
Presence 7

Old 2008-06-23, 00:25
livingaftermidnight
New Blood

Oh and the BBE Stomp settings are like 7 and 7.5 or so. I've tried all kinds of setting positions on this pedal and I don't hear a difference on any of them.

Thanks for the help.

Old 2008-06-23, 01:40
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Are you meaning the change in sound is subtle? Or is there litterally no difference in the sound? Because if it's really making NO change in tone, your pedal is probably broken. Regardless of whether it's in front of the amp or in the fx loop it should create a difference in tone.

Old 2008-06-23, 01:50
livingaftermidnight
New Blood

I literally don't hear any difference.

The other day, the pedal wasn't working right (muted sound while it was on) and so I brought it into the guitar store and they checked it out. It worked just fine for the guy at the guitar store. I heard the difference with it on their amp. He kept turning it off an on so I could really tell the difference the pedal was making on the amp's sound. It was wonderful!

But, I took it home and didn't hear it.

Now, I bought my amp from someone that had this pedal so I got to hear the difference his pedal made. That was why I purchased the pedal in the first place.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Old 2008-06-23, 18:18
Arsis
Supreme Metalhead

Wow absolutely crazy. The only thing i could say is maybe its hooked in a bit wrong.

Old 2008-06-23, 18:44
livingaftermidnight
New Blood

Yeah for sure! I think I had it hooked up like this:

EFX Loop Send -> Decimator Channel 2 Return and then Decimator Channel 2 Send -> BBE Sonic Stomp Input and then BBE Sonic Stomp Output -> EFX Loop Return

Old 2008-06-23, 20:00
TruthDevoid
Drugged Unholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingaftermidnight
I literally don't hear any difference.

The other day, the pedal wasn't working right (muted sound while it was on) and so I brought it into the guitar store and they checked it out. It worked just fine for the guy at the guitar store. I heard the difference with it on their amp. He kept turning it off an on so I could really tell the difference the pedal was making on the amp's sound. It was wonderful!

But, I took it home and didn't hear it.

Now, I bought my amp from someone that had this pedal so I got to hear the difference his pedal made. That was why I purchased the pedal in the first place.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

that's weird. Take your whole rig into the guitar store and show them. let them figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewer_from_nihil
the song serial cocksucker changed my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
Are you going to snort cheap pharmaceutical drugs with your lizard as well?

Old 2008-06-24, 01:53
livingaftermidnight
New Blood

Yeah, for sure dude. Thanks for the help.

Old 2008-06-27, 05:37
GUITARFETUS
Senior Metalhead

Are you using the footswitch for the amp? maybe if you are, then you forgot to activate the effects loop with the button on the footswitch. if the switch is plugged in, the loop wont work, i have done this before on accident. if you are not using the f/s then i dont know what to tell you. it was just a thought tho.

Old 2008-06-27, 14:24
livingaftermidnight
New Blood

You could totally be right. Sad thing is... I have to wait until the next time our band practices to find out (Sunday).

I do use a footswitch, and this is my first big amp with a footswitch. I didn't even know that you had to even hit the footswitch to activate the effects loop.

Another interesting thing, is that I don't hear a difference with the BBE Stomp, but my ISP Decimator Pro Rack G works as is through the effects loop. Would the ISP Decimator not work if my effects loop wasn't activated through the footswitch?

Thanks for the response man!

Old 2008-06-27, 21:49
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingaftermidnight
You could totally be right. Sad thing is... I have to wait until the next time our band practices to find out (Sunday).

I do use a footswitch, and this is my first big amp with a footswitch. I didn't even know that you had to even hit the footswitch to activate the effects loop.

Another interesting thing, is that I don't hear a difference with the BBE Stomp, but my ISP Decimator Pro Rack G works as is through the effects loop. Would the ISP Decimator not work if my effects loop wasn't activated through the footswitch?

Thanks for the response man!

the pro rack g works infront of the amp, AND in the loop, so yes, it would still kill some noise if the loop was off.

Old 2008-06-28, 03:02
livingaftermidnight
New Blood

Sounds like I just have my effects loop off on the footswitch. Thanks for the help with this one guys. I'll know for sure on Sunday.

Old 2008-06-28, 17:01
GUITARFETUS
Senior Metalhead

yea, thats funny, i have done that before many times. i was like "wtf is wrong with this thing?" ha ha.

Old 2008-06-30, 02:40
livingaftermidnight
New Blood

You guys were totally right. I wasn't turning the effects loop on with the footswitch. Once I turned on the effects loop, turning the knobs on the BBE Stomp actually changed the sound... but for some reason the effects loop being on caused the amp volume to lower about 10-15 dB. I think it might be because of the ISP Decimator Pro Rack G, but I'll have to toy around with it to get it all dialed in. That might not be for a few days.

Anybody else, with a ISP Decimator Pro Rack G have that problem before? It could also be something wrong with my 5150 head, I guess. I'll have to try different types of configurations to find out for sure.