MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us


Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Music Theory
User Name
Password


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 2008-05-25, 16:22
tmfreak's Avatar
tmfreak tmfreak is offline
Slayer of dumb cunts
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, va
Posts: 3,622
Send a message via AIM to tmfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician1978
This is why asking questions on an internet forum is never a good idea, lol.

The fact of the matter is that I am planning on writing a tune for my fiance for our wedding, but since I play minor, everything sounds depressing, lol, as does pretty much everything I listen to.

As I said before, I don't like the radio, all the crap sounds the same to me. So why would I want to listen to it and break down tunes that I don't like in the first place when I'm not even sure which keys they are in until I mess with them. Big waste of time. All I wanted were some good examples of tunes in Major key or scale or whatnot (my musical ignorance shows as I've never learned theory; just scales and such).

I am personally sorry to you for creating such a stupid thread and I bow to your extreme musical superiority.


You asked a question that was extremely basic, no use in getting bent out of shape over it. Play the major scale look up common chord progressions, play around with them and you'll be fine.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 2008-05-26, 15:33
davie_gravy's Avatar
davie_gravy davie_gravy is offline
Metal As Fuck!
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: LR AR
Posts: 2,680
Send a message via MSN to davie_gravy Send a message via Yahoo to davie_gravy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmfreak
Are you high?

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmfreak
but if one goes ahead and says that then there is no point in calling the keys anything other than 1 sharp, 2 flats and so on.


That's exactly what I'm saying. You have to derive what your relative minor is based off the key. I mean, it's easy to do, but musical notation doesn't have any syntax for specifying a minor key, it's all relative to major.
__________________
__________________
__________________
__________________
__________________
R.I.P. Dimebag
My Music

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 2008-05-26, 16:01
TruthDevoid's Avatar
TruthDevoid TruthDevoid is offline
Drugged Unholy
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Philadelphia Area
Posts: 2,458
It's true. Say you're playing out of E minor, formally you would say it's in the key of G, but if i'm jamming with my friends and i ask what key, i'd rather them tell me E minor. So yeah, technically everything is in a major key because really the minor scale is just the aoelian mode, but.. whatever, you know what i'm saying.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalThrashingMad
I don't know about you, but I deadlift because I strive to be the first human tree stump pulling machine


Quote:
Originally Posted by viewer_from_nihil
the song serial cocksucker changed my life


Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
Are you going to snort cheap pharmaceutical drugs with your lizard as well?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 2008-05-26, 18:52
tmfreak's Avatar
tmfreak tmfreak is offline
Slayer of dumb cunts
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, va
Posts: 3,622
Send a message via AIM to tmfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthDevoid
It's true. Say you're playing out of E minor, formally you would say it's in the key of G, but if i'm jamming with my friends and i ask what key, i'd rather them tell me E minor. So yeah, technically everything is in a major key because really the minor scale is just the aoelian mode, but.. whatever, you know what i'm saying.

No thats not quite what i'm saying, or what i think davie is saying. Close but not quite, i see and agree with your point up to when you call it "technically a major key."

There is no such thing as a major or minor key if you accept that there are no minor keys. There is just as much a MINOR key as there is a MAJOR key.

You accept there are certain keys based on the number of sharps or flats and keep it at that. If you say 1 sharp is "G major" its the same as saying "E minor", there is no difference and E minor doesn't have a relationship to 1 sharp through G major, it just is what it is.

Its just easier to remember by attaching a name to a key by giving its Ionian mode root name. The same goes for the Aeolian root.

Or, you accept there is something called "The key of C major" or "The key of C minor" and leave it at that.

Either or it doesn't matter, its purely up for debate that i feel doesn't have any real purpose.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 2008-05-26, 19:15
TruthDevoid's Avatar
TruthDevoid TruthDevoid is offline
Drugged Unholy
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Philadelphia Area
Posts: 2,458
Yeah, good point. Basically I think we're trying to say the same thing, but i just had a bad choice of words really. If there's no minor keys, then there can't be any major keys. There's just keys. Really i guess if you specify that you're playing in minor, then youre just stating that you're playing in the aeolian mode, but that's just an assumption that you're referring to natural minor, as there are other minor modes. does that make sense? i'm sorry, i'm just rambling now. Anyway, Let's just agree that there are no major/minor key, but just keys.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalThrashingMad
I don't know about you, but I deadlift because I strive to be the first human tree stump pulling machine


Quote:
Originally Posted by viewer_from_nihil
the song serial cocksucker changed my life


Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
Are you going to snort cheap pharmaceutical drugs with your lizard as well?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 2008-05-26, 19:25
tmfreak's Avatar
tmfreak tmfreak is offline
Slayer of dumb cunts
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, va
Posts: 3,622
Send a message via AIM to tmfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthDevoid
Yeah, good point. Basically I think we're trying to say the same thing, but i just had a bad choice of words really. If there's no minor keys, then there can't be any major keys. There's just keys. Really i guess if you specify that you're playing in minor, then youre just stating that you're playing in the aeolian mode, but that's just an assumption that you're referring to natural minor, as there are other minor modes. does that make sense? i'm sorry, i'm just rambling now. Anyway, Let's just agree that there are no major/minor key, but just keys.

Yes, you're dead on.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 2008-05-30, 11:54
Musician1978 Musician1978 is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 135
I should have gone to school for music instead of accounting..... *sigh*
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 2008-11-20, 15:53
Cobalt1254 Cobalt1254 is offline
New Blood
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1
I never used Major Scales either until I bought a guitar theory lesson course from Desi Serna. One of the things in his course is major scales. He gives a lot of examples with tab and little videos. Here is his youtube link but the major scale material is not up there yet. I think he intends to add it. http://www.youtube.com/user/GuitarMusicTheoryTab

I bought his book and dvd's and it really helped me with theory as it applies to the guitar. Especially the modes. All modes are just major scales. Learn the major scale patterns up and down the fretboard and you know all the modes. Of course then you need to learn where and how to apply. I suggest you get all of Desi's free stuff that he has and also listen to to pod casts and see what you think. It helped me a lot. Here are some major scale examples from songs I can think of...

Down On The Corner - CCR
Crazy Train - Ozzie
Wild World - Cat Stevens
La Bamba - Los Lobos and a million more.

But like I said, Desi offers a ton of free stuff. Check it out and see what you think. I really liked the pod casts. He does have a free pod cast on major scales.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 2009-06-16, 04:34
vivies vivies is offline
New Blood
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: France
Posts: 1
Hello Musician 1978

Major or minor modes are not a big deal. What is important is the contrast you may create between major and minor mode within a same piece. This contrast is essential to any musical composition in order to make a piece fresh and interesting.
However, you can find here all scales and modes used in composition.
http://www.musiclassroom.com/cours/...e_1.php?lang=en

If any question, please leave me a message on this forum.

Yves
__________________

Last edited by vivies : 2009-06-16 at 04:36. Reason: error
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 2009-07-20, 19:59
rockitmarty rockitmarty is offline
New Blood
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: LA
Posts: 18
Can anyone suggest...

listen to happy music
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 2009-07-21, 02:37
johnmansley's Avatar
johnmansley johnmansley is offline
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Liverpool, England
Posts: 5,975
Send a message via MSN to johnmansley
Contribute something useful or you're gone.
__________________
Album of the day:

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:08.


========

Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer
Copyright © 2001-2009 MetalTabs.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.