MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us


Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > MetalTabs.com > Chit Chat
User Name
Password


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
  #1  
Old 2008-05-07, 15:32
aFarewelltoKings's Avatar
aFarewelltoKings aFarewelltoKings is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 380
I have no idea what im doing

I get out of high school in like 8 days.I have no idea what im going to do.Should i jump right into college and risk not having insurance? Should i just work and try to find a band? Im just looking for some general advice and stories on what you guys did after high school.Thanks in advance
__________________
Im Better Than You At COD4
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2008-05-07, 15:39
Requiem Requiem is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: terra firma
Posts: 6,940
You've got the summer to think it over.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2008-05-07, 15:43
aFarewelltoKings's Avatar
aFarewelltoKings aFarewelltoKings is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 380
I suppose thats true but if i cant figure it out then im screwed prolly
__________________
Im Better Than You At COD4
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2008-05-07, 16:31
blitz906's Avatar
blitz906 blitz906 is offline
Okay.
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 4,137
Send a message via MSN to blitz906 Send a message via Yahoo to blitz906
Quote:
Originally Posted by aFarewelltoKings
I suppose thats true but if i cant figure it out then im screwed prolly

Why is that?

By the way, there is already a careers/jobs thread.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Chances are there have been Irish in every corner of the world, no matter how remote. Our semen is listed in the World Health Organisation's Big Book of Pestilential Materials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2008-05-07, 16:58
MetalThrashingMad's Avatar
MetalThrashingMad MetalThrashingMad is offline
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Highway to the Danger Zone
Posts: 6,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by aFarewelltoKings
Im just looking for some general advice and stories on what you guys did after high school.Thanks in advance

I picked up a construction job after I got out of HS, partied like hell Chris Farley style for a year... then I joined the Steamfitters union. Learn a trade. That way you'll always have a job, you'll be making ~30 bucks an hour, plus your skill will actually be useful, compared to some desk job where you're not really even... useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by aFarewelltoKings
I suppose thats true but if i cant figure it out then im screwed prolly

The world is FULL of opportunities, it just depends on how bad you want to find them
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
"Ja mein little poodle, I will hang you by your nipples in my garage,
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2008-05-07, 17:07
xgrafcorex's Avatar
xgrafcorex xgrafcorex is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Monterey, CA
Posts: 3,635
Send a message via AIM to xgrafcorex Send a message via Yahoo to xgrafcorex
i went to college after high school and didn't have any health coverage after some point. haven't had it for a while until i joined the navy..well still in the process of that technically.

sounds like you have some time to figure it out..just make a balance of what you want to do and what you need to do. generally the first job you get isn't going to be the one you stick with forever..and will probably suck to some extent. sometimes you have to do what you have to do.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2008-05-07, 17:13
BOB_ZE_METALLEU's Avatar
BOB_ZE_METALLEU BOB_ZE_METALLEU is offline
the siamese
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: naked in a dead teenages dump
Posts: 2,294
Send a message via AIM to BOB_ZE_METALLEU Send a message via MSN to BOB_ZE_METALLEU
i go to college this autumn in anthropology, i have to pay 116$ tomorrow to finalize my inscription!

go to college, you always end up with something
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
I'd cum in her even if it was my own daugther.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassbehemoth
Sick. It's an overly sugared and overly carbonated vagina drink.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2008-05-07, 17:16
L,B'XXX's Avatar
L,B'XXX L,B'XXX is offline
dsnt trust ne1 < 30
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Home is where the <3 is
Posts: 8,866
Send a message via ICQ to L,B'XXX Send a message via AIM to L,B'XXX Send a message via Yahoo to L,B'XXX
Back in the day, I had no intention of going to college. I got hired at the bakery my family frequented and worked there until after I got married which was a little over a year later.
If there's something you'd love to do for a few years then try to learn as much about that as you can and try to find a job doing that. I have a good friend who studied music all her life and went to several colleges in pursuit of a music teaching career. One job she had was offering sample foods at grocery stores, but she dabbled back and forth to college while she did the odd job thing. She also gave various music lessons as a side job. She's a semester away from having her degree in music education, but felt it unneccesary to get that since she didn't want to teach in a school anymore. And now at almost 50 she's thinking of going back to college and studying physical therapy.

You don't have to make a rash decision about anything as long as you have access to a roof over your head and food that's not out of a dumpster. Try a few different things and see what you like. I heard the average job lasts 5 years now as opposed to 40 when I was younger. One thing I have noticed is that people seem to really do well in things they used to do when they were kids. Nose picking and paste eating not included in jobs.
__________________
My eldest son's bipolar website: www.bipolarmanifesto.com

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2008-05-07, 17:52
Pr0az's Avatar
Pr0az Pr0az is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by aFarewelltoKings
I get out of high school in like 8 days.I have no idea what im going to do.Should i jump right into college and risk not having insurance? Should i just work and try to find a band? Im just looking for some general advice and stories on what you guys did after high school.Thanks in advance


First off you really don't have all summer to think about going to college if you wanna go to college this fall.. If your gonna go to college start applying to schools right this second, a community college and or a close university should do just fine. Hopefully you have already taking the SAT or ACT test, if not look it up right now and try to get a date to take it. After this go to that school when your accepted get all the information from them about filling forms out for financial aid which if you fill out your financial aid early man you get way more money back then someone who fills it out a week before bills are due. Also you get a change check back as well around 2,000 dollars a semester for me so that helps a lot especially while working a part time job and living with my parents. A refund varies from person to person i get an ass of scholarships for doing fairly well so thats why its so much, but people who don't get scholarships still get around 1000 here. Also the reason i say close to home is because really if you don't know what you wanna do then go to one close to home in case you decided its not for you. College will give you something to fall back on in case a music career fails also. In College man you meet hot bitch's, get to go to parties, and your life doesn't completely end as I've seen some of my fellow peers from high school who went straight into the work force(Not all but it seemed a majority from my area had it happen). Also you will meet a lot more people who are into music, it least i did. I say go to college I've had one hell of a fantastic time since going. Since you don't know what you wanna do you can always not declare a major until you get your general education requirements in.


Most of us are not lucky enough to live up North where MetalThrashingMad is from and be able to get in with a Union making big bucks for something we get paid 13 dollars for down South.

Let me also add taking time off between Highschool and College man to me hurts you, you can forget so much in 1 year. Go to college man do the thing if you don't like it just say fuck it and leave, but give it a chance before you do that it least 1 year.
__________________
“Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends.” ~Rusty Cooley

Last edited by Pr0az : 2008-05-07 at 17:55.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2008-05-07, 18:01
MyOwnSavior's Avatar
MyOwnSavior MyOwnSavior is offline
Registered Sex Offender
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: La Follette
Posts: 2,400
Send a message via AIM to MyOwnSavior
Always have something to fall back on. You can try the whole band thing even with a job. You can also use some of your income to help out with things you might need.

But college is always a smart move. It makes things easier in the long run.
__________________
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

“I'm as firm as red clay and as constant as... drinkin'. I'm constantly drinkin'.” - Early Cuyler
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 2008-05-07, 18:19
BOB_ZE_METALLEU's Avatar
BOB_ZE_METALLEU BOB_ZE_METALLEU is offline
the siamese
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: naked in a dead teenages dump
Posts: 2,294
Send a message via AIM to BOB_ZE_METALLEU Send a message via MSN to BOB_ZE_METALLEU
Quote:
Originally Posted by L,B'XXX
Back in the day, I had no intention of going to college. I got hired at the bakery my family frequented and worked there until after I got married which was a little over a year later.
If there's something you'd love to do for a few years then try to learn as much about that as you can and try to find a job doing that. I have a good friend who studied music all her life and went to several colleges in pursuit of a music teaching career. One job she had was offering sample foods at grocery stores, but she dabbled back and forth to college while she did the odd job thing. She also gave various music lessons as a side job. She's a semester away from having her degree in music education, but felt it unneccesary to get that since she didn't want to teach in a school anymore. And now at almost 50 she's thinking of going back to college and studying physical therapy.

You don't have to make a rash decision about anything as long as you have access to a roof over your head and food that's not out of a dumpster. Try a few different things and see what you like. I heard the average job lasts 5 years now as opposed to 40 when I was younger. One thing I have noticed is that people seem to really do well in things they used to do when they were kids. Nose picking and paste eating not included in jobs.



i dont agree with that, its not because things didnt go in her way that college isnt worth it...and you can change your mind before 50 years old.

Seriously, do something in your life that you like to do, not something you feel obligated to do because you need to pay your roof and your food.

prozac is right, try it before you forget everything, the best thing to do is TRY, you are young you can change your mind.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
I'd cum in her even if it was my own daugther.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassbehemoth
Sick. It's an overly sugared and overly carbonated vagina drink.

Last edited by BOB_ZE_METALLEU : 2008-05-07 at 18:22.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 2008-05-07, 18:26
Kalmahswamp's Avatar
Kalmahswamp Kalmahswamp is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 1,915
Send a message via AIM to Kalmahswamp Send a message via MSN to Kalmahswamp
College (in the United States) is overrated if you're doing it for more than buying a diploma to get a higher paying job or partying. There is so much you won't learn that you want to and so much that you will learn that is essentially useless knowledge.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 2008-05-07, 19:06
The Doctor's Avatar
The Doctor The Doctor is offline
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Bladel, Holland
Posts: 6,806
Send a message via Yahoo to The Doctor
your problem sounds like a perfect reason to take a year off; half a year of working and saving money for the other half of travelling. During that time, figure out what subject you want to study.

but most importantly, go with your heart and keep your future in the back of yer head
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 2008-05-07, 19:33
tmfreak's Avatar
tmfreak tmfreak is offline
Slayer of dumb cunts
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, va
Posts: 3,622
Send a message via AIM to tmfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalmahswamp
College (in the United States) is overrated if you're doing it for more than buying a diploma to get a higher paying job or partying. There is so much you won't learn that you want to and so much that you will learn that is essentially useless knowledge.


It allows a check in the box to be able to get a foot int he door with most jobs. Negatively complaining about the lack of knowledge gained in college is dumb. The purpose of college is to help guide you towards a path of what you might want to get a professional career in, but its not to limit you. If you get a masters degree thats another story.

All bachelors are basically he same. Do extended amounts of work and give you some basic responsibility that those who don't go to college often don't have. Its not hard to get through college, but it sure as hell puts up an easy filter for people to stupid too get through it...

Anyways, a college degree takes place of work experience. And like mentioned by Proaz but i'll go one further, unless you go to a community college its pretty much too late (if i remember rightly) to go to a university (next fall).

I agree with doc. Most people jump into college way too early before learning even the tiniest bit about what the "real world" means. Granted unless you get a pretty good job you too won't have a clue what the real world is, cause living at home while you work at a food place or some box store isn't the real world, (unless you want to be a poor fuck your whole life.)

There is always a small stent in the military. That will definitely broaden your horizons more than most think it does.

Also college doesn't guarantee you a job or even a well paying job at all. Its the biggest fallacy ever. Best thing you could learn to is how to represent yourself and show presence, so if you apply to a job even without a degree you get them. There are plenty of people that graduate college and don't have "careers" even though they've "tried," but i assure you those that know whats going on and how to make an impact get jobs no problem.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...

Last edited by tmfreak : 2008-05-07 at 19:39.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 2008-05-07, 19:39
aFarewelltoKings's Avatar
aFarewelltoKings aFarewelltoKings is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 380
Thanks a ton to everyone for replying and giving me advice.I was thinking about going to community college in the spring of 09 and working most of this year(and hopefully touring).Hopefully in that time and some new experiences might light my way.But dont stop with the suggestions!!!
__________________
Im Better Than You At COD4
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 2008-05-07, 19:47
tmfreak's Avatar
tmfreak tmfreak is offline
Slayer of dumb cunts
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, va
Posts: 3,622
Send a message via AIM to tmfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by aFarewelltoKings
Thanks a ton to everyone for replying and giving me advice.I was thinking about going to community college in the spring of 09 and working most of this year(and hopefully touring).Hopefully in that time and some new experiences might light my way.But dont stop with the suggestions!!!

Thats a solid idea. It'll give you time to get your shit together.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 2008-05-07, 20:28
Kalmahswamp's Avatar
Kalmahswamp Kalmahswamp is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Naples, FL
Posts: 1,915
Send a message via AIM to Kalmahswamp Send a message via MSN to Kalmahswamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmfreak
Its not hard to get through college, but it sure as hell puts up an easy filter for people to stupid too get through it...

That's an ironic sentence

Anyway, why is it dumb to complain about what I'm not learning? I went to a school with a $33,000 tuition, I now go to a school with a $35,000 tuition. The idea of what college has become in the United States is bull shit honestly. Pay exorbitant amounts of money for an education you have little say in for the prospect of having a larger pay check in whatever field you enter. I'm double majoring in Biomedical Engineering and English. Everything I learn in Engineering is basically useless, courses such as Physics, Literature, Math, Philosophy, etc are interesting, but I'll be damned if I have any say in what material I want to learn in those courses. As anti-establishment or rebellious as this sounds, most of what you learn is what the corporation of society deems appropriate or germane.

Or you can just party like a fuckin' rock star in college!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 2008-05-07, 20:39
Pr0az's Avatar
Pr0az Pr0az is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalmahswamp
That's an ironic sentence

Anyway, why is it dumb to complain about what I'm not learning? I went to a school with a $33,000 tuition, I now go to a school with a $35,000 tuition. The idea of what college has become in the United States is bull shit honestly. Pay exorbitant amounts of money for an education you have little say in for the prospect of having a larger pay check in whatever field you enter. I'm double majoring in Biomedical Engineering and English. Everything I learn in Engineering is basically useless, courses such as Physics, Literature, Math, Philosophy, etc are interesting, but I'll be damned if I have any say in what material I want to learn in those courses. As anti-establishment or rebellious as this sounds, most of what you learn is what the corporation of society deems appropriate or germane.

Or you can just party like a fuckin' rock star in college!


Now i will agree with you one the fact SOME college's are expensive, but i go to a school man where tuition a semester is only 3,500. Sounds to me you're going to a real upper school like Duke University which is mighty expensive. The school i go to has been accredited and highly recognized as a good place to earn a degree and to me thats all that matters and its cheap. Also if i went to a school with that high of a Tuition and I'm guess your talking about yearly tuition at 33,000 i would find another spot to go too, you can go to my school out of state for 6,000 even. Hell i dont know if your from the U.S or not, but dude way cheaper schools are out there who offer those degrees and you are going to that school by choice.

Also i would like to add some more advice there all always Tech schools man people put them down but most local universities and tech schools work together to let people go to tech at a WAY cheaper price and if they feel they wanna earn a degree the university will allow for a certain amounts of credits to switch over. Don't stay too long tho, i think only a minority of credits switch over.

But it seems you have a good plan just follow your heart and what you feel you have to do economically, emotionally, and mentally(what ever order feels right). But right now i would highly recommend you take one of the college placement test if you haven't the SAT or ACT the scores you get last along time i think over 2 years, do this since high school math and English are still fresh in your head.
__________________
“Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends.” ~Rusty Cooley

Last edited by Pr0az : 2008-05-07 at 20:45.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 2008-05-07, 21:23
tmfreak's Avatar
tmfreak tmfreak is offline
Slayer of dumb cunts
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, va
Posts: 3,622
Send a message via AIM to tmfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalmahswamp
That's an ironic sentence

Anyway, why is it dumb to complain about what I'm not learning? I went to a school with a $33,000 tuition, I now go to a school with a $35,000 tuition. The idea of what college has become in the United States is bull shit honestly. Pay exorbitant amounts of money for an education you have little say in for the prospect of having a larger pay check in whatever field you enter. I'm double majoring in Biomedical Engineering and English. Everything I learn in Engineering is basically useless, courses such as Physics, Literature, Math, Philosophy, etc are interesting, but I'll be damned if I have any say in what material I want to learn in those courses. As anti-establishment or rebellious as this sounds, most of what you learn is what the corporation of society deems appropriate or germane.

Or you can just party like a fuckin' rock star in college!

Its not an ironic statement. If you're too stupid or uninclined to take any kind of furthering your education then employeers can screen you out without having to interview the person.

I could go on a tangent to the gay shit universities do and some of the lack of education you get. But thats another time and another thread. This is about what he should be doing, regardless of the legitimacy of how much you learn and blah blah blah. If thats what you have to do and its such an easy obstacle those who DON"T do it, are fucking stupid, (unless they got a legitimate reason why it doesn't matter for them which is few and far between). End of story.

I've been around people that don't have a degree nor any desire to get one, i'll get the fucking degree just to not have to be around them. Also i don't feel like doing manual labor my whole life. In fact i don't want to do it at all. I'd much rather sit back as a management or whatever business/contract/whatever and do more talking to people than actual "work."
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...

Last edited by tmfreak : 2008-05-07 at 21:27.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 2008-05-07, 21:26
drawn&quartered's Avatar
drawn&quartered drawn&quartered is offline
Too _____, wouldn't fuck
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,537
Hmm, it seems like there's quite a few HS seniors here.
__________________
I dont have any funny quotes

NEGROGENESIS


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02.


========

Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer
Copyright © 2001-2009 MetalTabs.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.