MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2008-03-23, 07:01
Amadeus
Quantum.

Booming... feedback...?

Feel free to direct me to another thread, browsed most of the forum but didn't find anything.

I've noticed these last few days that sometimes when I turn the volume of my amp (tubes of course) high enough to overvoice drums (though neither the channel nor the master volume is at max) a deep resounding something start sounding whenever I stop playing. And it just goes on, like the most extremely sustained feedback in soundtech history.

So, anyone out there who knows what might be causing this? It doesn't happen at lower volumes.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2008-03-23, 07:36
Death By Monkeys
Senior Metalhead

It sounds like.... feedback?

It stops when you stop playing, and only at high volume, so it sounds like regular old feedback to me. Anything more specific about why you think its not just feedback? Specifically, what do you mean by "it goes on", because feedback keeps going till you play again...

(I won't be able to help if its actually something else, but just for the sake of others who can)

Old 2008-03-23, 12:04
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

What amp do you play?
How close are you standing to your amp?
Do you turn down your gain when you turn up your volume?

Do you have things like, a compressor, or EQ, or noise gate?
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.

I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!

Old 2008-03-23, 12:26
Amadeus
Quantum.

DBM - No, what I said is that it keeps going undiminished when I stop playing.

I play a George Dennis 100W combo. Something like a Vox, only better in my ears.
I stood just a couple of meters away, but walking away the full six meters didn't do the least difference; walking closer only added the usual feedback into the mix.
I was going to try using a compressor tonight anyway, it's just that I've never heard anything like this before so I though I might as well throw the question out there.

Note, it isn't the whining noice of usual feedback. Like I said it's deep, like a bass note with extreme sustain and reverb.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

Old 2008-03-23, 13:05
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

i had somethinggg like that happen earlier. One of the songs my band plays needed a feedback dive during the starting of the song, usually i just gradually turn the volume up, and it comes in. This time, it was just one notch and this really bassy feedback came in, and the whammy bar made no difference. Turns out it was a problem with the pup's, the tone pot was really fucked up, could be the same thing with yours, did you try using another guitar?
Rocktron Xpression Rack mount
Rocktron Gainiac Rack Mount

Old 2008-03-24, 12:20
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
DBM - No, what I said is that it keeps going undiminished when I stop playing.

I play a George Dennis 100W combo. Something like a Vox, only better in my ears.
I stood just a couple of meters away, but walking away the full six meters didn't do the least difference; walking closer only added the usual feedback into the mix.
I was going to try using a compressor tonight anyway, it's just that I've never heard anything like this before so I though I might as well throw the question out there.

Note, it isn't the whining noice of usual feedback. Like I said it's deep, like a bass note with extreme sustain and reverb.

Hmm.. so you have a low hum rather then feedback?
Compression only helps against feedback peaks, but if it's a steady level, I'm not sure it'll help.

There also exist stuff like feedback killers, but I', mot even sure if its feedback you are having.
Migh be something broke in your amp, might be your tubes, might be your powersupply, might even be that your amps isn't made to go high volume.
Why would you sig that?

Old 2008-03-24, 23:49
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

I know exactly what you're talking about, and i feel pretty confident its a pickup thing.

I don't think its "feedback" rather more of an acoustical nightmare.
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...

Old 2008-03-25, 01:36
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmfreak
I know exactly what you're talking about, and i feel pretty confident its a pickup thing.

I don't think its "feedback" rather more of an acoustical nightmare.

hmm.. you think the pickup needs to be grounded better?
Why would you sig that?

Old 2008-03-25, 06:17
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainsforbreakfast
hmm.. you think the pickup needs to be grounded better?

You know i don't know. I'm not going to claim i really know what causes it, but it could just be how the pickups are, and how they respond to that amp/cab/ hell maybe even the room.

Like it was said before, Amadeus try another guitar for shits and giggles.
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...

Old 2008-03-31, 07:23
Amadeus
Quantum.

Well, I'll admit to being a bit ostentatious at times, but i teared out the pickups before even trying another guitar and what do you know... the grounding was hanging a bit loose on the neck pickup. Didn't have any problem yesterday, and then my bandmate went at the drums as if they'd banged his girlfriend - thanks for pointing me in that direction!

- Carl Sagan