MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2008-01-29, 19:39
lolerz
New Blood

Alot on unanswered questions

Been looking through this forum for a few hours reading a hell of alot of things. I've not found any answeres that are here or that are clear/complete. So here we go...

-= 1. Types of screaming =-
- Vocal Fry
- False Chords

Now I'd like alot of information of the 2 following, I'm very careful when it comes to my voice. For example; can you use one without messing up your "clean" singing voice. I hear vocal fry is good if you switch between cleanand scream. In other words does any of those 2 types screw up your chords.

I'd also like to know what one gives a high pitch scream, I'm guessing both however I'm not sure. I know the key to keeping a high scream long is breathing excercises and control of your diaphram.

-= 2. Piq Squeals (again *sigh*) =-
- Inhale
- Exhale

I hear both that inhales screw up your voice and that they are the safest type of pig squeal. Can someone please verify this.

-= 3. Itching sensation =-
Whenever I inhale in a certain way it starts to itch at the back of my throat, I also get this sensation when I scream in a special way. I hear on another thread that this is due to irritation of the vocal chords. Is this true meaning it's the wrong way to scream/inhale?

-= 4. Sore thorat =-
Whenever I scream/growl in a certain way I get a sore throat, however not just anyway, it's ALWAYS the left side of my throat, slighty up to the left of my adams apple. WHAT IS THIS? and why only the left side? Also what am I doing wrong?

-= 5. Warming up/sore throat =-
I normally get a sore thorat after warming my voice up, I think this is due to me straining my vocals chords as I try to hit pitchs with effort. I hear that when warming up you have to do it within "comfertable" scales or you'll strain your vocal chords. Is this true?

-= 6. Other signs of doing it wrong? =-
Are there any other signs of doing screaming wrong other than it just hurting? Are there any specific areas in the throat it should hurt if your doing it wrong? Are you doing it wrong if it itches etc.? What are the most common problems encountered and what are the long term effects and how long does it take before it becomes serious?

When answering try to help format so it's easier to read.
Ex.
1.1 answer blablalbla
1.6 degfdfgdfg

thanks

Old 2008-01-30, 08:00
- EXILE -
Metalhead

Sounds like your way to cought up trying to protect your voice rather then exploring it. Metal vocals will munt your voice one way or another all you can do is reduce it by drinking plenty of water and vocal rest. The pain you get when you first start will fade in time and practice.

Old 2008-01-30, 17:08
lolerz
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by - EXILE -
Sounds like your way to cought up trying to protect your voice rather then exploring it. Metal vocals will munt your voice one way or another all you can do is reduce it by drinking plenty of water and vocal rest. The pain you get when you first start will fade in time and practice.

Just keep hearing everywhere that if it hurts, your doing it wrong. Is this not true? Or is it pain in a diffrent way, for example while screaming it doesn't hurt, but after a concert?

Old 2008-02-21, 12:49
bigred1360
New Blood

if it hurts to swallow, STOP! give your vocal cords a rest. you might just screw your throat right up a creek. i don't sing alot of heavy death metal, just because i'm more of a post grunge era singer. but yeah i stress use vocal fry, which is the lowest register of your voice, and it might mess up your voice, but it's (in my option) the lest stressful on my throat.

Old 2008-02-21, 18:56
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

let me make this clear.

if you do highs or mids, hardcore, screaming, growling, or ANY vocal that requires throat then it WILL hurt,
well at first it will hurt, and then over time of practice both you and your throat will find the perfect way of doing it so that it does not hurt.
also practice letting out less or more air when you do throaty vocals because that might be your problem.
and no matter what, even if you surpass the hurting stage of vocals you will still be able to strain your vocal chords or lose your voice.
if you listen to the Miasma album by The Black Dahlia Murder in some of the songs you will notice that Trev's voice is actually strained, probably from recording the songs all within a few days.

however practice will lengthen your ability to keep your voice longer.

vocal fry?
it's a bunch of bullshit.

Inahles?
Inhales do tend to either hurt in your upper chest (heart area) or will make your throat itch, the higher the inhale the more it will do this, the harder you inhale the more it will hurt/itch.
if you lightly inhale at a low gurgle you will notice that it will not itch hardly at all even if you do it for hours on end.
i sit around and inhale all day, it's a habit.

pigsqueels?
Inhales pigsqueels, depending on how high pitched they are will itch/hurt, (see above)
I still hav'nt necessarily mastered the exhaled pigsqueel or the whistle-growl technique that Phil from WHITECHAPEL or Dean from With Blood Comes Cleansing does, but I'd assume that being as how this is an exhale, and with practice, this will not harm you as much as inhales, and the tone of the exhaled pigsqueel will sound a hell of a lot better.