MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone
User Name
Password

Old 2008-09-28, 12:23
New Blood

hey guys, this thread is the best source of information about metal vocals I found on the internet, serious thx to suspendedbythethroat !

Ive been practicing growls/gutturals for some time now and id like to know if it is normal to feel some pain (same kind of pain as if u were running all day and wake up the next day with painful legs) in the muscles situated on the front sides of the neck just above the body, I guess its the muscles i use to open my throat
is it gonna get stronger and not hurt with practice or is it gonna damage my throat ?
Old 2008-11-01, 11:15
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhaDe
Ive been practicing growls/gutturals for some time now and id like to know if it is normal to feel some pain (same kind of pain as if u were running all day and wake up the next day with painful legs) in the muscles situated on the front sides of the neck just above the body, I guess its the muscles i use to open my throat
is it gonna get stronger and not hurt with practice or is it gonna damage my throat ?

That used to happen to me too. The problem subsided over time. I don't think a bit of soreness in the neck muscles is something to be too worried about. The real danger to the voice is when the inside of the throat or the vocal cords themselves start to hurt. Don't over exert yourself, be sure to give your muscles enough chance to rest and recover in between sessions, and eventually they should strengthen and stop getting sore. Just like exercising any other muscle.
Old 2008-11-01, 11:29
New Blood

I have a question for Suspended or anyone else who might know: what's the deal with Ihsahn's screams? That is, the kind he uses now, not the "regular" black metal vocals he used on the old albums.

In my honest opinion, the newer style he uses represents the ultimate in black metal vocal tone. But it absolutely boggles my mind how they could be created. I really have no ideas whatsoever.

My problem is that my highs tend to sound really wet and gargly, which is my least favorite sound for black metal vocals. I'd love it if anyone could offer any tips on how to create that really dry kind of sound that Ihsahn and some others use.
Old 2009-06-04, 16:44
New Blood

ok, so to have a style like that of DeathAngel, i would focus more on part 2/6?
Old 2009-12-28, 12:42
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to SuspendedByTheThroat
wow I hav'nt been to this thread in a while,
thanks for all the praises guys, it was nice coming back to see all of that.
i can answer any more questions, if need be. :]