Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone
User Name
Password

Old 2008-06-27, 14:43
New Blood

Send a message via MSN to J.V.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostWolf
uhm...i dont know how to upload to youtube or video.google.com .Is it possible if i upload it to a host like "yousendit" and you can download from there? Is it against the rule? Im new here. Or maybe just give me your email and I send it to you :-??

Found a better option:
http://www.wikiupload.com/
Old 2008-06-29, 00:49
New Blood

Try out my new song then... Frozen Angel By Norther. No effect used.
Try this link : http://download.yousendit.com/156C035C2C491863

Last edited by FrostWolf : 2008-06-29 at 14:27.
Old 2008-06-30, 21:06
New Blood

I do have enough power in my vocal. But the main problem is breathing technique. I cannot sing long sentences as of George fisher. My beathe stop me from singing and eventually i miss the timing. Can u guys help me??
Old 2008-07-05, 10:49
New Blood

No one wants to take a look at my song?
Old 2008-07-07, 04:07
New Blood

Any tips on how to do cleaner more understandable vocals like the ones from Aeon, Morbid Angel, Opeth?
Old 2008-07-07, 07:56
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostWolf
Try out my new song then... Frozen Angel By Norther. No effect used.
Try this link : http://download.yousendit.com/156C035C2C491863

I might be crazy, but sometimes some of the vocals/singing sounds like it has a nasally sound to it. I'd recommend trying to avoid that.

Look up resonance and practice it for your clean singing, it will really help.
Old 2008-07-27, 11:53
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to SuspendedByTheThroat
maybe it is harder for him to sound as clean due to the fact hes vietnamese?
like all people of different languages, if they try to speak another language they will sound different, or awkward?
we're used to hearing deathcore from english or american bands.
or death/black metal from scandanavian bands.
hes going to sound different, that's a fact.
but if he practices enough he can bypass the sound of his own accent and sound more like another nationality's death/black vocals.
Old 2008-07-30, 11:45
New Blood

cmon man!! plzz this breathing techniques is really bothering me... long sentences are like dream for me to sing... plzz man do u have any tips??
Old 2008-07-30, 18:01
New Blood

i used to have the same problem the only thing i can tell u is keep practicing n excersice more....like cardio stuff cause it increases ur lung capacity over time
Old 2008-08-02, 09:36
New Blood

i do practise a lot.. but its been a quite offen i'm facing these problems.. do u have any exercises that might help me??
Old 2008-08-02, 11:16
New Blood

well i play tennis so i started playing more.....run a few miles, play some basketball, swim some laps....things that keep u moving
Old 2008-08-03, 09:29
New Blood

thanx man!!! i appreciated that.. keep supporting metal!!
Old 2008-08-20, 16:47
New Blood

Great man, you are the only one I have ever seen to explain this so deeply and detailed.
Old 2008-09-09, 21:00
Senior Metalhead

Quick question: How do you get your vocals deeper sounding?
Old 2008-09-12, 19:52
New Blood

This was a pretty nifty guide!
Several of my old buddies who all rotated as my band's vocalist sang (or screamed?) praises for drinking milk beforehand and they all pretty much failed, I think the point was that the phlegm can help amplify the voice? Not sure, but it never worked for me.

and, on the exhale bree, which I actually just picked up myself last week because I can't do inhales at all, IS just a matter of tongue placement/throat tightness. By placing your tongue so that as much of it as possible is contacting the roof of your mouth and closing your throat fairly tight, you can manage the errr, reee, and orrr common bree-inhale sounds.

I was wondering if anyone might want to post their technique for highs? My highs are pretty terribad, IMO.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cf...endid=323659098
they're ultra raspy with very minimal tone, and I'm kind of learning to adapt my low technique but it brings my range down significantly. That recording was done last night so it's pretty accurate if you all could afford me some tips!

Anyway, spot on guide, SbtT!
Old 2008-09-12, 19:53
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRO
Quick question: How do you get your vocals deeper sounding?

In my lows I tend to push out my jaw so it looks like I have an underbite, make an 'o' shape with your mouth and draw your power from your diaphragm. Throat should be as open as possible to get the lowest sound.
Old 2008-09-13, 15:49
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonch QQ Melarki
and, on the exhale bree, which I actually just picked up myself last week because I can't do inhales at all, IS just a matter of tongue placement/throat tightness. By placing your tongue so that as much of it as possible is contacting the roof of your mouth and closing your throat fairly tight, you can manage the errr, reee, and orrr common bree-inhale sounds.

I was wondering if anyone might want to post their technique for highs? My highs are pretty terribad, IMO.
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cf...endid=323659098
they're ultra raspy with very minimal tone, and I'm kind of learning to adapt my low technique but it brings my range down significantly. That recording was done last night so it's pretty accurate if you all could afford me some tips!

When you talk about closing the throat, do you mean clenching the glottis closed and forcing air through, like for fry, or do you mean that the glottis is supposed to narrow, but still open, sort of like black metal vocals?

And I rather liked your highs, actually...
Old 2008-09-13, 19:02
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash2490
When you talk about closing the throat, do you mean clenching the glottis closed and forcing air through, like for fry, or do you mean that the glottis is supposed to narrow, but still open, sort of like black metal vocals?

And I rather liked your highs, actually...

Hmm, I'm not too swell at explaining all that like Suspended is, I'd try starting with just the tongue; for the 'eeee' spread your tongue out across the roof of your mouth and for the errrr and orrr keep your tongue on the roof as normal. To get the tone closest to inhale brees (it;s still going to sound different, but) all the power, at least for me, comes from the diaphragm. So, the air's path through your mouth is tight, but on account of your tongue not necessarily your throat.

Haha, thanks. They sound good in Days Undying because the whole track is edited to be a bit grainy and in VK they're just mixed poorly on my part, so I go back and forth. My buddy says they're like a wet black metal high, which isn't bad to me but I don't think they match the lows in style/quality.
Old 2008-09-16, 20:46
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonch QQ Melarki
By placing your tongue so that as much of it as possible is contacting the roof of your mouth and closing your throat fairly tight, you can manage the errr, reee, and orrr common bree

Damn, this comment has turned out to be one of the most helpful pieces of vocal knowledge that I've come across.

I've been trying to figure out how to do the gurgly, Dallas Toler-Wade sort of growls pretty much ever since I initially decided to learn vocals, and after practicing what you said in the above comment for a few days I'm finally getting pretty damn close.

A weird thing I've noticed is that it actually sounds like kind of high while doing it, almost like a really loud, raspy whisper, but on the recording it's actually lower than I could get with a regular growl.

Have you noticed anything like that? If this is very common, then I wonder if this effect somehow contributed to the term "whistle growl" being used to describe the really gurgly vocals.
Old 2008-09-17, 20:37
New Blood

Yes, when I use that technique- this is all exhales- it sounds quite different while performing but the mics seem to pick it up differently, not sure why that is.

There's a low in Val Kilmer that I have been absolutely unable to replicate, it's like right at 3:08 but since it's a shitton lower than the rest of the lows in the song, I'm not sure how I managed it. I dunno if you can tell by listening but does anyone have an idea what was going on there?

Son: Yeah, give it a minute and I'll show you, see: "I will spit right in your fucking face, how does it taste? Once the lips are sealed below your waste, you will never fuck again."

Father: Wow, that's some pleasant shit dude, have fun.