MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2007-10-30, 03:46
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Strings and pole pieces not lining up

A few days ago I swapped my Tone Zone and PAF Pro out of my ESP and put them into my Ibanez RG1570. At first I didn't notice any problems other than the output being a bit less than it was before, but now that I've looked at the pole pieces, I notice that the strings don't line up properly. The two innermost strings are lined correctly, but as the strings go out further they're farther from the poles of the pickups. It's especially bad on the PAF Pro (neck). I know the PAF Pro isn't F-spaced, as neck pickups need to be, and the Tone Zone is F-spaced, as tremolo guitars need. What's the deal with this? It's like the pickups' poles aren't spread far enough out. I never noticed this kind of problem on my other guitar. Any suggestions?

Last edited by 4d5e6f : 2007-10-30 at 04:48.

Old 2007-10-30, 09:15
Soeru
Post-whore

Neck pickups generally don't *need* to be F-spaced so don't worry about it, so long as it sounds good and there are no dead spots.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-10-30, 19:09
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

So the strings don't need to be perfectly aligned with the poles? This isn't going to effect my tone or output?

Old 2007-10-30, 23:36
the_bleeding
Post-whore

it will slightly lower your output, but the change is so little its negligible.
The biggest kicker is that you might lose some trebel and general volume, especially on bends. The reason is that the string isnt in the center of the magnetic field of the pole anymore, so the pickup wont sing like it used to. Just a different tone. But, this difference is VERY VERY difficult to notice, infact, most people wont notice shit. The only time you'll notice is if you're playing through a hifi tube stack at roaring volumes.

How many knobs does your esp have compared to the ibanez? that might be able to explain some output loss. More knobs = less output
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2007-10-30, 23:39
Soeru
Post-whore

No, they do need to be aligned, but as a general rule in the neck position it is not very important.

If you get the same sounds anywhere across the fretboard all coming out at the same volume and if chords don't sound weird or warped you should be fine.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-10-31, 02:15
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
it will slightly lower your output, but the change is so little its negligible.
The biggest kicker is that you might lose some trebel and general volume, especially on bends. The reason is that the string isnt in the center of the magnetic field of the pole anymore, so the pickup wont sing like it used to. Just a different tone. But, this difference is VERY VERY difficult to notice, infact, most people wont notice shit. The only time you'll notice is if you're playing through a hifi tube stack at roaring volumes.

How many knobs does your esp have compared to the ibanez? that might be able to explain some output loss. More knobs = less output

Both guitars are just 1 Volume and 1 Tone. The ESP is H-H, the Ibanez is H-S-H if that matters. Thanks, everyone who helped me! Relieved my mind.