MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > MetalTabs.com > Chit Chat

Old 2007-10-14, 23:48
aFarewelltoKings
Senior Metalhead

Bad experiences playing

Has anyone in a band ever have a really shitty experience while you were playing? Like booing,being flipped off,etc?

Old 2007-10-14, 23:54
moe_blunts
wigger/redneck/drunkard

I got my period while doing a Texas T, David Lee Roth style.

http://www.last.fm/user/moe_blunts/

Old 2007-10-15, 01:28
YOUR_GOD_IS_DEAD
Post-whore

one time i got too shitfaced to play and passed out onstage and had to be dragged off. then 5 minutes later i came swimming through the crowd back onstage and tried plugging in and played the wrong song and did some retarded ass bass solo. next thing i knew i woke up at a carls jr.

Old 2007-10-15, 01:34
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUR_GOD_IS_DEAD
one time i got too shitfaced to play and passed out onstage and had to be dragged off. then 5 minutes later i came swimming through the crowd back onstage and tried plugging in and played the wrong song and did some retarded ass bass solo. next thing i knew i woke up at a carls jr.

That's so fucking thrash it actually hurts

Old 2007-10-15, 02:21
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

Quote:

hahah that's rough!

i've only played a few garage shows..worst thing that happened was just breaking a string mid song.

ha i went to a punk show that my friend put together in honor of one of our friends that died... a guitarist in one of the bands forgot his guitar! how the hell do you forget your guitar!?

Old 2007-10-15, 02:22
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

My first real "show" started off by all of my equipment failing and the first song being clicked off while I was frantically pulling cords in and out. I got my guitar to work quickly but all my effects (which are important in my band - lots of ambient sounds and funky guitar work) didn't. My keyboardist's equipment crapped out for most of the set, too. Awesomelylely we still got a great response.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2007-10-15, 02:22
BOB_ZE_METALLEU
the siamese

we already have a thread about that loll

xgraf: LOLL, what a dumb ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassbehemoth
Sick. It's an overly sugared and overly carbonated vagina drink.

Old 2007-10-15, 02:24
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Bump bit, Bob.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2007-10-15, 02:33
Transient
HES BAAACK

ive stepped on my cable and yanked it out mid song.... someone also unpluggedmy amp while i was playing. no huge deal

Old 2007-10-15, 02:37
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

One time I asked for a brandy glass filled with blue M&Ms and it turned out one of them was green.

Actually I've never really fucked up live. I can play trashed and don't step on anything dangerous or sound-threatening even when I do my Ian stomp. No problems as a singer either. Pretty boring.

Old 2007-10-15, 03:14
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
even when I do my Ian stomp.

You may have to explain this for n00b.

Old 2007-10-15, 03:25
Transient
HES BAAACK

you guys dont moove

at awl

FUCK you

oh you got a beeyoh in your hand dats why

Old 2007-10-15, 05:31
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

I run around like a fucking mad man. Just gotta be mindful of where you stomp.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2007-10-15, 06:45
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

I range about as far as my cable and the other people on a usually fairly small stage permit. I'm just coordinated and aware of my surroundings. I could be Batman if I just quit drinking.

Old 2007-10-15, 06:57
CompelledToLacerate
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
I range about as far as my cable and the other people on a usually fairly small stage permit. I'm just coordinated and aware of my surroundings. I could be Batman if I just quit drinking.

If you quit drinking, you would stop having these crazy ideas of being batmans and we would stop loving you.

My band hasn't played yet. We've been rehearsing.... for 6 fucking years! <_<

Only shows I've played were in the school symphonic and marching bands. As far as bad experiences, I'd have to say the time the football field was a swamp and I was back sliding and slipped on a muddy patch..... not very comfortable since I played the sousaphone. Was able to get back up within a measure without messing up the formation, but it was just so fucking gay!

Keep checking for new crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
It's really sad, all those people who don't understand why we shouldn't act like our enemies. The real victory is not only killing and imprisoning the terrorists, but also letting civilized manners override the lust for revenge, once the battle is over.

Old 2007-10-15, 09:48
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

when im drunk and gigging, i tend to make jokes that arent funny, which causes the crowd to be completely silent for a few seconds.

IT SUCKS

Old 2007-10-15, 10:36
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

No bad experiences what so ever but we had a weird moment when playing a show with a lot of local moshers that went apeshit.

Our other guitarist jumped off stage with his guitar and pulled the guitartop off the cabinet, he had his cord through the handle so the cord wouldn't come out. Smart.. He just continued playing and didn't even notice. Some guy jumped up on stage and put it back on and somehow it was still working

Playing drunk really isn't a problem. Even if you do fuck up, people barely notice. Just DON'T stand there looking at your bandmates like: 'Oh, I fucked up.'
Just ignore it, I allways count the times other bandmembers fuck up, that's the ammount of beer they owe me.

Old 2007-10-15, 11:09
far_beyond_sane
You gamma-minus fucktards
Forum Leader

I called someone in the crowd 'the load his mother should have swallowed'.

Later, I found out my special friend was Samoan. And unhappy.

It's times like this you realise shit venues pursue some policies for a reason... like employing bigger Samoans as bouncers.

"It was some kind of evolutionary glitch, she figured; no different than the other unreasonable side effects of consciousness and emotion, like religion and rap music."

Old 2007-10-15, 12:10
Zionist
My Ass, Your Face

I couple of shows ago a tube blew out in my amp mid show. My last show I accidentally wacked my bass player on the side of the head with the headstock on my guitar and made it bleed a little. I have to start being mindful of my playing area.
Wore her out before I could finish(which im grateful for)

Funeral Mulch; My brutal death metal band from West Michigan.

Old 2007-10-15, 12:13
blitz906
Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgrafcorex
how the hell do you forget your guitar!?

My dad forgot his bass once. He showed up at the gig without it. Boy was he fucking pissed. He phoned home and I had to drive it there.

I've never had a bad experience playing though. And I don't know many others who have. The only other thing that comes to mind is my friend Matt who plays bass in a local punk band. Some drunk guy reached up on stage once and unplugged his bass... Matt kicked him right in the face, broke the guys nose and knocked three teeth out.

The moral of the story : Don't fuck with peoples instruments
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one

Old 2007-10-15, 17:00
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

Other than being too high to remember some lyrics, no real problems with the old band. Once my fellow band mate was trying to do backup vocals for one of our songs..our friend told him at the end that the mic wasn't plugged in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.

Old 2007-10-15, 17:51
YOUR_GOD_IS_DEAD
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
Other than being too high to remember some lyrics, no real problems with the old band. Once my fellow band mate was trying to do backup vocals for one of our songs..our friend told him at the end that the mic wasn't plugged in.

oh man thats happened to me a few times. end up feeling retarded afterwards

Old 2007-10-15, 21:16
low-tech
Post-whore

Had drumsets fall apart on stage, had people plow face first into drums, into bandmates, nearly fought one asshole who bought an album after the set, nearly fought promoters, cleared rooms before, had the distinct experience of entertaining no one and providing an absolutely annoying and ultimately forgettable experience.

No hecklers tho, never actually had a beer thrown or anything. I've played some horrible sets and been crushed with humiliation tho, absolute failure. Opened for more well known bands and fucked up big time from which there is no excuse.

All this shit is necessary to earn your bones tho. One of the oddest experiences wasn't actually a show, but a jam where two members got into a fist fight mid jam........weird.

One of the worst was playing a radio station only to listen back to the tape and realize entire parts to songs are all jumbled and fucked to an extent that cannot be dismiss as an avante-garde intentionally sloppy and contrasting copout sort of way, just terrible.....just a plainly obvious inability to hold time and play music that someone may actually find pleasing to the ear.

Most shows are not up to par for the most part(actually lately my band has been kicking ass, but we play slow doom shit anyway), it's just the ones that are good more than make up for all those bad times.

Old 2007-10-15, 22:19
Sycophant
Supreme Metalhead

My old band's first show ended when someone in the audience (a gangbanger) stabbed another member of the audience (a skinhead) by the pool tables near the end of our second song. It broke out into a giant gangfight that soon involved everyone in the club. A couple of the skinhead's buddies were holding that Mexican dude down and beating the crap out of him with pool cues. This was the first thing I saw as I looked up from my guitar and noticed no, that was not a mosh pit that had just started. I could tell because I looked at this chicks face that was near the stage and it wasn't a face of joy.
This was in East LA and the singer's brother was taping the whole thing. We had to tear down as fast as we could before the cops showed up, they would have confiscated the camera as evidence and who knows what else. I remember it raining outside the club and us trying to protect our gear with blankets used to stuff the bass drum, trying to get our car over there fast as fuck to get outta there, while the skinhead-Kerry King looking guy had his whitebeater off soaked with blood eating up the giant stabwound in his stomach, roaring out to his chick: "that MOTHERFUCKER stabbed ME!!!" That was the first day I saw the insides of a human being up close. People were fleeing the place like Godzilla was attacking or something, and it was just total chaos. We jetted out of there right when the police pulled in. The other gang jumped into an Astro van while yelling to some other dude in a Cadillac "call Capone! call Capone!" A police car started chasing after them after immediatley ramming the other fucker off of the sidewalk. It was some morbid/gangster shit.
The second guitarist drove home with his Avatar cab TIED TO THE ROOF of his Focus station wagon FACE UP WITH NO PROTECTION IN THE RAIN. I was just pissed but glad to be breathing after all that. Definetly grew some balls that day.
By the way that clubs name was the Doghouse, in La Puente, and last I heard they just made it into a normal bar or something.

Last edited by Sycophant : 2007-10-15 at 22:53.

Old 2007-10-15, 22:49
Transient
HES BAAACK

hahahahahahaha you win

Old 2007-10-15, 22:53
Sycophant
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
hahahahahahaha you win

Tell me about it bro, my old band was fucking cursed

Old 2007-10-15, 23:13
far_beyond_sane
You gamma-minus fucktards
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycophant
Tell me about it bro, my old band was fucking cursed

Man, who did you skullfuck in a past life? Heckuvastory, Brownie.

"It was some kind of evolutionary glitch, she figured; no different than the other unreasonable side effects of consciousness and emotion, like religion and rap music."

Old 2007-10-15, 23:57
Bones98
Post-whore

We've had drunk people busting backflips into our equipment after getting shoved in the mosh pit.

We also played a show with some gay ass power metal bands at the Whiskey A GOGO.
That shit was terrible, no one knew what the hell Grind at that place. There was dead silence between songs, so we decided to end our set early because there were a bunch of fags at the show waiting for some gay band called Old School Beatdown to play. hahahahaha.

There was also this one part when some dude got up on stage, took my mic off the stand, and start doing vocals, but he sucked so bad. He was trying to do gutturals and ended up sounding like some Deathcore fag shit and then me and my drummer stopped right before the breakdown and I yelled "Put my shit back on the stage before I kick your ass" .... He didn't, it was embarassing to have him come in and ruin of my favorite songs that I loved to do vocals for, I didn't kick his ass because he was just a fan trying to have a good time but I don't like people snatching the mic away from me while Im doing vocals.

Old 2007-10-16, 03:07
BOB_ZE_METALLEU
the siamese

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz906
My dad forgot his bass once. He showed up at the gig without it. Boy was he fucking pissed. He phoned home and I had to drive it there.

I've never had a bad experience playing though. And I don't know many others who have. The only other thing that comes to mind is my friend Matt who plays bass in a local punk band. Some drunk guy reached up on stage once and unplugged his bass... Matt kicked him right in the face, broke the guys nose and knocked three teeth out.

The moral of the story : Don't fuck with peoples instruments

LOL#1
LOL#2

how the fuck people can forget their instruments lolll And it was a really good idea to kick the guy in his face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassbehemoth
Sick. It's an overly sugared and overly carbonated vagina drink.

Old 2007-10-16, 19:01
Bones98
Post-whore

OHHH, I have a tendency dropping picks in almost every song. (I use dunlop jazz pics).
There's a video on our myspace where I dropped the pick in the middle of a song and I had to bend down to get it.
www.myspace.com/masokistgrind

Old 2007-10-17, 10:48
Amadeus
Quantum.

Haven't played many pure music gigs, but there have been a few episodes on stage. This happened when I was in a group doing a translated version of "Bang bang you're dead". For those that haven't seen it, it's sixty pages pure lines, and the five brain ghosts - of which I was playing one - of the main character have most of them, in the order ABCDE-ABCDE-and so on.
We recieved this script weeks too late, by when all the dates were fixed, and for all practical reasons had about one week to rehearse the damn thing. Not exactly a shitty experience, just a nerve-racking one.
There was one instant when the guy just after me (B) lost his line. One second of silence later, though, the girl C takes his line, and then guy D takes line C - dropping just one line would mean messing up the whole thing completely - and so we went for about two rounds, wondering with a heart rate of 220 what the fuck it was the one before me actually said?!.
Finally B managed to do a double take, snatching his line from me and saying his own in one flow. Shit, did I learn something about acting during that run.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2007-10-20, 02:18
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

I'm pretty much a photographer/tech for a few local bands, and I've been involved in some bad shit.

Mid set at a house show, cops show up. We had at least 60 cars line up on the side of the road (it was a slightly rural highway). Thing about these shows at the Brutal Pad, everyone was usually drinking and smoking reefer. So when the cops showed up, there was this mass exodus out of the garage where the stage was, and everyone booked it to the field.

Thankfully they didn't go up that far, or they would have arrested ALOT of damn people. Ruined the set though, and the rest of the show. Nerve racking being the sober guy who has to find out what the cops want...

I've got more, i'll post them when I remember more.

Awesome.

Old 2007-10-20, 03:05
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zionist
I couple of shows ago a tube blew out in my amp mid show. My last show I accidentally wacked my bass player on the side of the head with the headstock on my guitar and made it bleed a little. I have to start being mindful of my playing area.

you refer to your bass player as "it"
lol

shittiest thing for me was either getting signal interference on my wireless, or totally brain-farting a forgetting a song halfway through. that usually only happens when it's a fresh song though.

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg

Old 2007-10-20, 03:14
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

OH, another story, same band.

2 weeks ago, they had a gig at a bar. And for some reason, the bar is really iffy about letting bands who are under 21 play. So we all basically had to creep in, and act 21.

Well, on top of that, their lead guitarist just got out of the hospital, and really couldn't even stand without getting dizzy and feeling like death.

So the guy running the show decides that we all need to leave. So he makes them play earlier than their set time (before the show REALLY even started). Lead guitarist was so out of it that I had to set my camera down and tune the fucker's guitar.

So they play, and their new drummer's set keeps running away from him while he's playing, so not only is the lead guitarist off, so is the drummer.

After they got done playing, the guy running the show told us to, and I quote, "Pack up your shit, and get out of here. As far as anyone is concerned, you guys didn't even play. Here's 10 bucks for the show."

Haha, and to add insult to injury, the singer locked his keys in his car while packing shit up, so we had to spend another half an hour breaking into the car.

Worst show I've ever been a part of.

Awesome.

Old 2007-10-20, 23:20
YOUR_GOD_IS_DEAD
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissection
I'm pretty much a photographer/tech for a few local bands, and I've been involved in some bad shit.

Mid set at a house show, cops show up. We had at least 60 cars line up on the side of the road (it was a slightly rural highway). Thing about these shows at the Brutal Pad, everyone was usually drinking and smoking reefer. So when the cops showed up, there was this mass exodus out of the garage where the stage was, and everyone booked it to the field.

Thankfully they didn't go up that far, or they would have arrested ALOT of damn people. Ruined the set though, and the rest of the show. Nerve racking being the sober guy who has to find out what the cops want...

I've got more, i'll post them when I remember more.

thats usually every weekend punk/metal backyard show in east la. some in south central too and in compton. Bones98 may know what im talking about..

Old 2007-10-22, 16:15
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

Quote:
thats usually every weekend punk/metal backyard show in east la. some in south central too and in compton. Bones98 may know what im talking about..

Sucks. I'm hoping the Halloween show we have going on at this place friday doesn't get busted or anything.

Awesome.