MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2002-11-07, 02:23
Gigantic Penis
Post-whore

Thumbs down Cold Weather

winter time is coming, and right now i keep my PA speakers, and other equipment, like pedals, tuners etc. in a barn, where my band practices. Im curious, as to how the cold will affect the stuff. I keep the speakers wrapped in blakets, but it is still very cold in there. anyone know how cold of an area can equpment stay in?

"I guess it all works out in the end"
"Yeah, the REAR end."

-Beavis and Butt-head

Old 2002-11-07, 13:38
mrweijia
Post-whore

i'd think that its ok to store them in cold weather, but once you need to use them, you'd definitely have to warm them up, even the insides. the best way would be leaving them in a warm room, not too hot tho, for a night.

Old 2002-11-07, 17:51
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

cold weather is no problem, but when it gets moisty in a cold barn, then you're fucked.
there should be enough warmth in there to keep condens and stuff outside, you don't want to have (how do you call it, daw? ) water drops on your amps/speakers/everything.

I've also got all our stuff stacked in a barn we rehearse in, amps and PA, mixer everything, but that barn is pretty well isolated.. we do throw blankets on the amps.

I think electronics can stand the cold verry well but you don't want to expose your guitar or bass to cold/hot weather changes, it's really bad for the neck etc.

Old 2002-11-09, 20:31
xDarkestHourx
Senior Metalhead

Def FX, just for future reference it's "dew" instead of "daw". Heh, I love it when people from other countries can speak English well or at least mostly ok...makes me feel like an ignorant American for only taking 4 years of German. "Ich mochte Kase!"..fuckin stupid ass class and no teaching teacher...

Old 2002-11-09, 22:22
guitar_demon
MotörCat

i dont know i remeemebr my guitar teacher saying one day that if you leave your guitars out in the cold it wil fuck up the neck cause it tenses up or somethig like that i dont know about your amps though
Ok. You're literate, intelligent and funny-FBS

"Calm down, Edgar back in your cage"-far beyond sane
"you suck the cat-avatar-guy doesnt"-The Doc
Now My Legacy Shall Live Forever!!

Old 2002-11-10, 02:29
atifman
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

you definitely dont want condensation inside your amps and electronics

Old 2002-11-10, 09:33
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by xDarkestHourx
Def FX, just for future reference it's "dew" instead of "daw". Heh, I love it when people from other countries can speak English well or at least mostly ok...makes me feel like an ignorant American for only taking 4 years of German. "Ich mochte Kase!"..fuckin stupid ass class and no teaching teacher...

hehe, thanks man, I learn new things every day here
it's really interesting to hear all the different variations on 'cunt' :P

I had german for 3 years and I can speak it almost perfectly, the grammar is pretty hard and the 'umlauts' are hard (the little signs on letters etc.)

Old 2002-11-10, 16:07
Gigantic Penis
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally posted by atifman
you definitely dont want condensation inside your amps and electronics

YEH, THATS PROBLY THE WORST PART OF THE COLD, IF IT GETS COLD, THEN WARMS UP A BIT, THERE WILL BE A LOT OF WATER SITTING IN THE SPEAKERS.........

"I guess it all works out in the end"
"Yeah, the REAR end."

-Beavis and Butt-head

Old 2002-11-10, 17:56
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

uhm, I think he was talking about the amps in general, not only the speakers, speakers won't die if they get a bit wet, but you amp will (tubes and shit, electronics etc..)

Old 2002-11-18, 03:57
Dr. Landau
New Blood

You and your friends should all pinch in and get a couple of elec. heaters. The type that have a thermo on it. turns off and on when it needs to. and get some insurance, its always good to have your shit coverd you never know what can happen...

a)Your equipment gets fucked by the cold weather because the heaters coudlnt cut it. so you get new shit.

or

b)someone in your band kicked the heater over on his way out and the barn goes up in flames... so you get new shit.

Either way you win

But on the real, I don't think the cold weather is very good for any musical equipment.