MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2007-09-20, 22:25
jesse vetrone
New Blood

Floyd rose liscenced

how are the liscenced trems in comparison to the orignal. im looking at the dean ml79 with floyd rose but it is a LISCENCED floyd rose.

thanks

Old 2007-09-21, 01:07
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

The licensed floyd tends to go out of tune much more often in my experiences, even if you are not using a trem bar at all. I have a Kramer with an original and a locking nut and it rarely ever goes out of tune no matter how badly I abuse the whammy

Old 2007-09-21, 01:12
Mortal_Lament
Senior Metalhead

i actually just got a kramer with a licenced, and while metalthrashingmad is right, it stays in tune fairly well. And of course, to put it thru it's course, i have abused the whammy, and yet still in tune for the most part. (like, after 7 hours of playing it, it went out of tune, but the fine tuners tuned it back up fairly well)
Rocktron Xpression Rack mount
Rocktron Gainiac Rack Mount

Old 2007-09-21, 04:32
7-string warlord
Post-whore

Well, it depends on who makes 'em. The Schaller liscensed floyd's and the Jackson Floyd's work very well, if you set them up right. But I've never played a Dean witha trem..so I'm not sure. Dime used a liscensed trem on his though, so maybe they are ok.

Old 2007-09-21, 06:06
satan's shedder
Metalhead

just because it says liscenced doesnt mean they all suck it just means they are copying a floyd cuz ive play some liscenced ones that held up better than some OFR but it also depends on how well you set it up and the ml w floyds are kick ass oh an you should probably check out the new dime shadow very sick played one at GC last week very nice the floyed can definetly take a lot abuse and there only 599 or something around there.

Old 2007-09-21, 07:21
Soeru
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7-string warlord
Well, it depends on who makes 'em. The Schaller liscensed floyd's and the Jackson Floyd's work very well, if you set them up right. But I've never played a Dean witha trem..so I'm not sure. Dime used a liscensed trem on his though, so maybe they are ok.

Schaller is the manufacturer that also produces the trems for OFR, so naturally they are really good trems. They just have their own version of the OFR which a little more expensive, I think they use better steel on it but I'm not sure.

I have a made in W. Germany schaller on my 80's Charvel neckthru and it slays. Also have an OFR on another guitar.

Licensed trems on import BC riches or low end Ibanez or Jackson guitars don't stay in tune for very long.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-09-21, 10:47
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Several people have told me that Floyd Roses stamped Schaller are in fact better than the Floyd Roses stamped Floyd Rose, even though it's common knowledge Schaller make both.

My own experience with licenced floyds goes like this:

Cheap Jackson LFR: pretty crap (on a year 2000 Japanese Performer Series PS-2 and a KX10D)

BC Rich NJ Series Warlock (2002/3 I think): Great! I hammered this thing Slayer style and it always came back for more, in tune.

Ibanez: Anything Korean hasn't been good. My Japanese Edge's are fine though.

Old 2007-09-22, 00:18
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

If I were to use a Floyd I would also go with a Schaller licensed or an OFR. If both use the same materials then I would pick the Schaller licensed as they seem better designed to me.

Old 2007-09-22, 20:39
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

All the jackson licenced trems I play went out of tune pretty badly. Although I used to have one on my Warlock and it stayed in tune pretty well (but I replaced it with a Kahler)

Edge Pro 1 and 3s stay in tune VERY well and the Zero Resistant trems are amazing.

I have a Lo Pro TRS trem on my Jem and it works fine.

I have an Original Floyd on one of my guitars as well and it stays in tune well.

Really it just depends on how you set them up. If you REALLY abuse the wammy then just add more springs in the back. That's what I did on my Jem.

Truer words were never spoken.

Old 2007-09-22, 21:06
sqol
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
Schaller is the manufacturer that also produces the trems for OFR, so naturally they are really good trems. They just have their own version of the OFR which a little more expensive, I think they use better steel on it but I'm not sure.

I have a made in W. Germany schaller on my 80's Charvel neckthru and it slays. Also have an OFR on another guitar.

Licensed trems on import BC riches or low end Ibanez or Jackson guitars don't stay in tune for very long.

The Jackson licensed trem on my Charvel never goes out of tune... even when going completely crazy... i've never had a problem with it.

Personally, i believe that if trems are set up correctly, they should all stay in tune- they are just blocks of metal. The pivot points are what need attention- sometimes the knife edges need some working because they're worn out, or perhaps the pivot screws are worn. The only other thing that'd make a difference, is the most obvious; the springs.

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone
moonraven?....more like ass raven

Old 2007-09-27, 01:32
jesse vetrone
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqol
The Jackson licensed trem on my Charvel never goes out of tune... even when going completely crazy... i've never had a problem with it.

Personally, i believe that if trems are set up correctly, they should all stay in tune- they are just blocks of metal. The pivot points are what need attention- sometimes the knife edges need some working because they're worn out, or perhaps the pivot screws are worn. The only other thing that'd make a difference, is the most obvious; the springs.

thats what i was thinking too.

whatever i guess if im dissatsfied with it, it wont be to hard to just buy a OFR off ebay and drop it in.