User Name
Password

Old 2005-08-28, 08:21
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

Send a message via AIM to John Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by madtrixcerenzia
So somebody give me one example of "alternate picking" (not sweeping or legato) past, say 130, and since those guys apparently do it 'all the time' it shouldnt be hard to give me an example.

Listen to "Severed Savior", by Severed Savior. What's that in the 17th measure? Trem picking sixteenths at 230 bpm, which continue for much of the song.

I believe the intro to "Dittohead" is also at 230 ... 228 more like it, I think.

Take a look at the picking in "Blowtorch Slaughter", by Cannibal Corpse. 32nd notes at 134 bpm ... which is a great, great deal faster than 16th notes at 200 bpm.

And in those bands and several others like them, those speeds are breached on a regular basis.
Old 2005-08-28, 08:22
Senior Metalhead

Yeah. It's seems like you're fucked either way when wanting to discuss a previous topic. People complain that either you have bothered to search or you've started up a dead thread.

I guess everyone wants something to bitch about.

Just Click On These
Friendship In School Hours
StraightEdge Tattoo Removalist
The Acid Dancers
Skull Full Of Unicorns
Old 2005-08-28, 08:32
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via ICQ to Brutur Send a message via MSN to Brutur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seve420
Yeah. It's seems like you're fucked either way when wanting to discuss a previous topic. People complain that either you have bothered to search or you've started up a dead thread.

I guess everyone wants something to bitch about.

bitching = cool + you get respect because you are so fucking bad.....
there's no Victory
My Dear!"
- by Devil Doll (The Girl who was... Death)

"In an Insane World,
an Insane Man,
MUST appear Insane,"
- Alien 3
Old 2005-08-28, 16:20
Post-whore

Quote:
I solute you.

dont go gay on me soldier. its not allowed in the army

Quote:
Originally Posted by User01
ibut i wouldnt get any help at a slipknot board, theyre struggling with palm muting!
Old 2005-08-28, 16:34
Supreme Metalhead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJM04
who gives a flying fuck about whos faster.
music is about who can play smoother, better, get their idea out.
writing music is harder than just playing scales fast, cuz u have to think.
besides the fastest/best guitarist i've heard out there is steve vai.
when becker was around he was the best guitarist.
nitro was shit as well micheal angelo's writing abillity.

Dude you hit the nail on the head , without feeling it dont mean shit ,first the only ones who can appreciate a guitar player going a zillion MPH or KMH depending on where you live is another guitar player .I saw Yngwie and George Lynch live not to long ago , I love both ,And obviously both are bad ass players but Lynch sounded better , why because he slowed down enough for people to feel his playing , Now yngwie who is great , sped thru all his solos at mach speed , technically brilliant but so what . AND I LOVE YNGWIE , But in that situation Lynch sounded so much better ,Im sure Yngwie is the better player.
Point you need to balance speed with taste .
You guys like Gus G. I think he got great chops
Old 2005-08-28, 16:52
Post-whore

to me playing fast is more of a party trick, or somthing u only do live to impress people. but i dont really like to do it in my music. only if the mood is right

Quote:
ibut i wouldnt get any help at a slipknot board, theyre struggling with palm muting!
Old 2005-08-28, 17:17
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJM04
dont go gay on me soldier. its not allowed in the army

Lol, i was really only kidding. In my posts u will see me say some lame sayings, but really im only kidding. And right now i am checking out those songs the guy above stated. i still dont believe it, give me till tonight to find em.
Old 2005-08-28, 17:24
Post-whore

Cool

Quote:
Lol, i was really only kidding. In my posts u will see me say some lame sayings, but really im only kidding.

i know i was just messing around

Quote:
Old 2005-08-28, 17:41
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holland
Listen to "Severed Savior", by Severed Savior. What's that in the 17th measure? Trem picking sixteenths at 230 bpm, which continue for much of the song.

I believe the intro to "Dittohead" is also at 230 ... 228 more like it, I think.

Take a look at the picking in "Blowtorch Slaughter", by Cannibal Corpse. 32nd notes at 134 bpm ... which is a great, great deal faster than 16th notes at 200 bpm.

And in those bands and several others like them, those speeds are breached on a regular basis.

Yeah, i couldnt find any of the songs you said except Blowtorch Slaughter. Dude, i seriously don't know where you got the idea that that song is even close to something like 230 bpm. Maybe around the a little past 210, but thats tremolo picking. I am sorry, but there isn't anyone out there that can alternate pick a run faster than 220, and if they can, its probably like, 222.

And also, who is telling you these numbers like 230, and stuff? Like how are you figuring it out? I tryed looking for a powertab, but there isnt any of any of them. And besides, why would you think those bands you named be faster than people like Rusty Cooley, who make their entire livings on being fast? If that many people did stuff that fast, Rusty, Fereri, and whatever else would be ruined by now. They arent, cause they really are the fastest guitarists out there, and even they would tell you that their alternate picking runs cant exceed 220 by that much. Especially something like 230.

And not only that, The great kat WAS in the guiness book of world records (not sure if she still is) for some version of flight of the bumblebee. I am telling you, it wasnt anything past 220.

AND if you have ever seen the rock discipline video of John Petrucci, he cant even do that chromatic run of his at 216, and hes definately one of the fastest in the world. And chromatic runs are obviously the fastest kind of runs you can do alternate picking.
Old 2005-08-28, 17:45
Post-whore

Quote:
And not only that, The great kat WAS in the guiness book of world records (not sure if she still is) for some version of flight of the bumblebee.

isnt she that vampire violinist?
that chicks a freak

Quote:
Old 2005-08-28, 18:10
Senior Metalhead

yeah dude, and shes the cockiest person i have ever seen. you should try and find one of her interviews and her cd's are like 15 minutes long and sound like shit. Shes just like super fast and a girl, which is the only reason why she got like two seconds of notice.
Old 2005-08-28, 22:34
New Blood

Quote:
And not only that, The great kat WAS in the guiness book of world records (not sure if she still is) for some version of flight of the bumblebee. I am telling you, it wasnt anything past 220.

Your thinking of Jennifer Batten who did Flight of the Bumble-Bee that was all 8-finger tapping. The Great Kat is known for her various covers of Vivaldi, Wagner, Paganini, Bach, and Beethoven. I don't ever recall her playing anything from Rimsky-Korsakov. Though she is very talented because she's a virtuoso on the violin and guitar.
Old 2005-08-28, 23:01
HES BAAACK

theres a big difference between petrucci only being able to do a complicated scale run at 216 and a band like severed savior or cannibal corpse playing pretty simple riffs, real fast
Old 2005-08-28, 23:18
Banned

Quote:
Yeah, i couldnt find any of the songs you said except Blowtorch Slaughter. Dude, i seriously don't know where you got the idea that that song is even close to something like 230 bpm. Maybe around the a little past 210, but thats tremolo picking. I am sorry, but there isn't anyone out there that can alternate pick a run faster than 220, and if they can, its probably like, 222.
AND if you have ever seen the rock discipline video of John Petrucci, he cant even do that chromatic run of his at 216, and hes definately one of the fastest in the world. And chromatic runs are obviously the fastest kind of runs you can do alternate picking.

Do not put words in my mouth! I never said that Cannibal Corpse and the like were faster than Rusty.

Yeah, I've seen Rock Discipline, I used to own it! I also had the official tab book for "Scenes From A Memory", and some of the faster solos had 32nd notes at 130 bpm.

Look at Mysongbook's tab of Blowtorch, its damn accurate. I just gave you that because its a reference. Listen to the drums on that song, its really 268. Listen to some Origin, Decrepit Birth, or Cryptopsy. Its indisputable.

And you could'nt find the song "Dittohead" by Slayer? Slayer pushes over 230 ALL THE TIME. Kerry even talks about it in interviews.

Even the song "Labyrinth" in my link is 240. If you disagree you are stupid, for I programmed the drums and I know exactly what it is.

I just recorded a track that runs at 250 bpm, just to show. Trying to host it now, but if someone wants to just PM me for it I can send it to you.

Last edited by John Holland : 2005-08-28 at 23:28.
Old 2005-08-28, 23:21
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to Innards-Decay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
theres a big difference between petrucci only being able to do a complicated scale run at 216 and a band like severed savior or cannibal corpse playing pretty simple riffs, real fast

Severed Savior simple? I take it you still need forced to bleed from me?
Old 2005-08-29, 00:41
New Blood

Send a message via ICQ to Volcheyar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture
How does one go about playing 8 notes per second without tremolo picking or hammering?

With variable stroking
Old 2005-08-29, 00:46
bugfucker strikes back.

Send a message via AIM to Dissection
how about we rename this thread "who can be a more arrogant asshole."

I can play really fast riffs. I can't solo for shit. And I have never been a big enough whore to test myself against a metronome. Sorry, but theres my opinion. I'm cut out to be a rhythm master, and thats all.

Awesome.
Old 2005-08-29, 02:13
Post-whore

im nt sure how fast in nps but i can keep up with every Slayer song i know... and sometimes faster

NECROTIC
Canadian Brutal Death (So you know it's good)

Old 2005-08-29, 02:34
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to Innards-Decay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissection
how about we rename this thread "who can be a more arrogant asshole."

I can play really fast riffs. I can't solo for shit. And I have never been a big enough whore to test myself against a metronome. Sorry, but theres my opinion. I'm cut out to be a rhythm master, and thats all.

Word.
Old 2005-08-29, 02:40
Banned

I'm a whore. I keep little diaries of the top bpm I can handle down to the last few decimels ( my metronome is that precise ).

Yes, I'm a whore.