MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2007-08-25, 20:26
Giorgi
New Blood

Red face In the style of Devin Townsend...

Hey guys!

I know it's a bit off topic, but I love the way Devin sings. He mixes up singing with screaming (not growling...!). Check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73DaKSDS4g0

I was hoping you guys could advice me a DVD, tape, book or just help with a few concepts that you might now.

Thanks

Old 2007-08-25, 20:36
Synthos
New Blood

Just a little warning: This board tends to be pretty unreceptive to "lighter" styles of music than genres such as death metal.

Anyways, that aside... He's not 'really' screaming, no artist can for long.

He's using a lot of rasp on high notes. Rasp is when you have extra air hitting the back of your throat. If you know the feeling of resonance, it's similar to that except the area is further back.

It doesn't mean pushing harder, it just means changing where the air hits. You know when you breath on a window to make it fog up? It's the same air flow, only bite down on the air flow a bit so you can feel it the hitting the roof of your mouth or the back of your throat.

Old 2007-08-25, 20:51
7-string warlord
Post-whore

Man on some of that new stuff he almost has like a later Chuck Schuldiner thing going. I think it's on that song called wrong side or something, not sure. I don't really listen to them a lot. But Townsend is a pretty talented guy.

Old 2007-08-25, 20:53
Unanything
Post-whore

Oh, who cares whether he is screaming or not. Devin is a brilliant vocalist, with massive expressive capacity. He's entirely original and very distinct, and sticks to his own tones rather than allow his voice to become affected. Maybe this is the lesson that one should learn from idolising him. Sure, shout and go mad like he does, but use YOUR voice.

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Old 2007-08-26, 16:06
Giorgi
New Blood

Thanks for the explanations and thoughts so far...

I know that there are a few videos/dvds teaching growl/scream vocal techniques, (zen of screaming for instance). What I would like to know is: will they help me develop the kind of rasp Synthos is talking about?

If no, are there any videos/books focusing on that?

Old 2007-08-26, 20:19
Synthos
New Blood

I own both the Zen of Screaming 1 and 2.

ZoS 1 is mostly basic vocal things: breathing, pitch etcetera. Also included is a liberal amount of rock/metal singers going on and on about how she helped them.

ZoS 2 is mostly about using vocal fry to scream and some extensions onto the basics covered in 1.

Those won't really help you with rasp. I was told this a while ago by an awesome guy over at the sputnikmusic forums (Merkaba). He said to practice on Louis Armstrong's "Wonder World". I didn't find that useful at the time, but now that I can do rasp I can easily the song just like him.

Rasp will feel odd... I think it may bring the false cords into play when doing it. It took a while of experimenting for me to find it.

Here is something I quickly recorded:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RBRST5Q3

Old 2007-08-27, 07:08
Giorgi
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthos
I own both the Zen of Screaming 1 and 2.

ZoS 1 is mostly basic vocal things: breathing, pitch etcetera. Also included is a liberal amount of rock/metal singers going on and on about how she helped them.

ZoS 2 is mostly about using vocal fry to scream and some extensions onto the basics covered in 1.

Those won't really help you with rasp. I was told this a while ago by an awesome guy over at the sputnikmusic forums (Merkaba). He said to practice on Louis Armstrong's "Wonder World". I didn't find that useful at the time, but now that I can do rasp I can easily the song just like him.

Rasp will feel odd... I think it may bring the false cords into play when doing it. It took a while of experimenting for me to find it.

Here is something I quickly recorded:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RBRST5Q3

HA! That was great. Thanks alot