MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2007-08-22, 05:19
7-string warlord
Post-whore

throatless vocals

I've read on here like a billion times that you shouldn't use your throat for growling/screaming. I'd always ignored that and just used my throat. But I remembered you guys here, SO I started trying to do vocals without using my throat. The thing is it's quiet. It started off like a whisper, i got it a little louder. When i try to put anymore force into it I either start rasping in my throat (which is supposedly bad) or: My normal voice starts to crack through. I've found if I get my diaphragm compressed really tight and do just a little rasp in my throat the results are pretty brutal sounding, but it's still wrong because I'm using my throat. So what the fuck is up?

Old 2007-08-22, 06:21
- EXILE -
Metalhead

Growling and screaming isnt suppost to be quite, unless you wana sound like a 9 year old. Not using your throat means not to tighten it up, you still gota push from your gut.

Old 2007-08-22, 06:24
Inimical
New Blood

Horns up dude!

Hmm.. Using your throat when doing metal vocals, is a nessesarity(spelling); however it's important that u use in the right manner.
When it done improperly, you'll end up with a sore throat and fucked up vocal chords . We all know that, and I'll be damned if we haven't all been there.

When I do my vocals, the deep growling is not louder than my normal speaking voice and the "shout growling" and screams aren't that loud either.
It is possible to create that brutal sound without it being loud as fuck.

If I was to give u advice, I would say that the best startout-point for u is, to start completely from scratch, and then FEEL your way through it.
If what you're doing is hurting your throat, then just start over again.
Eventually you'll find the right way to do growls and etc.

I spend about 3 years to find out how to do screams without hurting my throat. It's all about being persistant and allways keep practicing.

Anyway, I hope that my "advice" is for some use for u.
Keep it up, and keep it metal! \m/

www.skinnedbeyondrecognition.com

Old 2007-08-22, 13:38
SolothurN
Senior Metalhead

i have to say that's all bullshit. Even loud speak hurts your throat, so doing agressive metal vocals WITHOUT ANY HARM is nearly impossible, unless you, as someone wrote before, want to sound like a 9 years old. Anyway, other thing is that how much you hurt your throat is individual thing for everyone. Practicing vocals makes your chords stronger and less vulnerable for any harm. You can easily check it like that: do some growling every day for like 30 minutes for a week. Try to project more and make them more aggresive every day. Then, stop it for a week, and after that time try to do vocals, which you have been easily doing on the 7th day of training. You'll see the difference then

Old 2007-08-22, 16:37
SolothurN
Senior Metalhead

yeah, you know, i didn't mean like 'fuck that, you can scream and scream even if your throat hurts, don't give a fuck about it'. I meant that you can't really do it painless. If you will train smart, you will have no problems, even if your throat will sometimes hurt.

Old 2007-08-23, 16:03
Party Time 2000
Senior Metalhead

It doesn't have to be loud. That is what the microphone is for! Adding a mic with a good PA and some effects will take care of the 'loudness' factor.

but we don't use the
fish to feed the pussy.

http://www.myspace.com/lordpartytime2000

Old 2007-08-23, 20:12
Synthos
New Blood

All too often people confuse volume and 'power'

Old 2007-08-24, 05:19
7-string warlord
Post-whore

Well, I've been doing vocals for about a year now anyways. I was just convinced I had to start doing them without my throat, or some shit like that. I'll just keep doing them how I have. It hardly ever hurts, and when it does it isn't severe.

Old 2007-08-24, 08:20
SolothurN
Senior Metalhead

You know, putting more power into projections makes vocals louder, UNLESS that's some weird technique like whisper growl.

Old 2007-08-24, 15:16
Synthos
New Blood

Although, remember not to equate power with volume

Projection/Power will make things *seem* louder, but pure volume can be achieved with an amp.

Old 2007-08-25, 01:23
7-string warlord
Post-whore

I'm plenty loud if I use my throat, for some reason I thought it was bad to use the throat. But I honostly don't give a fuck anymore.

Old 2007-12-14, 01:02
Corpse Ingurgitation
New Blood

As long as you don't put any undue pressure on your voice box and the surrounding sinew, your throat will survive. My friend and ex-band mate does really low death growls, but he uses the pressure in his throat instead of the diaphragm. He smokes ridiculous amounts of cigarettes and drinks heavy liquor frequently. Because of his carelessness he crossed paths with several upper respiratory infections, as the damaged tissue is more susceptible to bacteria. So in conclusion of my long winded explanation; Don't fucking use your throat muscles to push the air out. Use your flippin' diaphragm.

Old 2007-12-16, 01:47
7-string warlord
Post-whore

I always push from my gut, I've never done it from my throat. but that's where my raspiness comes from. All this time I thought people were saying that was wrong. But I was just mis-interpreting.

Old 2007-12-17, 03:52
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthos
All too often people confuse volume and 'power'

very agreed.
alot of people strive for volume. which is highly uneeded. power is what you want and youll find your level of power usually at a volume just above loud talking. however some people do find thier power at a high volume. but you will never have power at low volumes. youll learn that tone comes from proper airflow.