MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone

Old 2007-08-11, 03:11
blitz906
Okay.

Question Cleaning fingerboard?

So just last night these little drunken motherfucking kids decided that it would be funny to throw an egg through my open window. Luckily most of it went on the wall, no big deal. But some of it went on the fingerboard of my bass what would you recommend for cleaning it off? I don't want to use guitar polish because that dulls strings, and I'm going to have to wind a new set of strings on now so I don't want them to get all dull.
~Thanks guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one

Old 2007-08-11, 14:11
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

well, either way you're going to have to take the strings off to properly clean it.

I use lemon oil

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg

Old 2007-08-11, 18:26
Sweet Pizza
Senior Metalhead

I was going to say the same thing. Lemon Oil is the way to go.
Pizzas, salads and shakes, nothing better to party for a group of teenagers! This menu will be more than enough for ten hungry young adults; including a variety of pizzas, two salads and a chocolate shake. Your kids will ask for these fabulous meals many times more.

Just what does Sweet Pizza listen to?

Old 2007-08-11, 18:59
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

I use steel wool to clean my frets / fretboard and put linseed oil on to protect the wood.

Old 2007-08-11, 19:36
blitz906
Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pizza
Lemon Oil is the way to go.

Will that properly clean it?
Quote:
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one

Old 2007-08-12, 03:07
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz906
Will that properly clean it?

yes, and it makes it smell good too.

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg

Old 2007-08-12, 05:40
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Armstrong Bore oil treats a fretboard very good too. A little goes a long way. I've used it for like 10+ years now and I'm still using the same 1.6oz bottle. A tech from Jackson guitars recommended I use it instead of lemon oil back when I owned my old KV-1. The dude was right on about it being one of the best things to treat a fretboard.

I use a micro fiber cloth to clean my strings and guitars every time I play but twice a year I use window cleaner ( on a rag ) to clean the fretboards. It does the best job of cleaning the gunk out of the wood grain but will dry out a rosewood or ebony fretboard within days, due to the ammonia, unless you oil shortly after cleaning.

Once a year, immediately before cleaning and oiling the fretboard, I will polish my frets with 0000 steel wool, but be sure to cover and tape the body of the guitar before you get steel wool near your axe. The magnets in the pickups will attract the small metal dust and slivers from polishing your frets and those metal particles will be impossible to remove once they work into the electronics. That shit will short and ruin the electronics of a guitar. Its just better to use a plastic garbage bag, taping the edge of the bag around the body of a guitar before using steel wool to polish the frets. Then use the window cleaner, and oil before removing the plastic bag very slowly as to not stir up the dust. I actually remove the tape and bag in another room or outside.

I hope this is all clear. I can explain more if need be. Cheers

Old 2007-08-13, 21:35
Zick
Senior Metalhead

The blood of those who ruined your fretboard is the only effective cleaning fluid.

Old 2007-08-14, 04:30
Sweet Pizza
Senior Metalhead

Wouldn't that mean you'd have to use your own blood.........??

Oh wait, I acknowledged that post.
Pizzas, salads and shakes, nothing better to party for a group of teenagers! This menu will be more than enough for ten hungry young adults; including a variety of pizzas, two salads and a chocolate shake. Your kids will ask for these fabulous meals many times more.

Just what does Sweet Pizza listen to?

Old 2007-08-14, 19:09
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulinsane
Armstrong Bore oil treats a fretboard very good too. A little goes a long way. I've used it for like 10+ years now and I'm still using the same 1.6oz bottle. A tech from Jackson guitars recommended I use it instead of lemon oil back when I owned my old KV-1. The dude was right on about it being one of the best things to treat a fretboard.

I use a micro fiber cloth to clean my strings and guitars every time I play but twice a year I use window cleaner ( on a rag ) to clean the fretboards. It does the best job of cleaning the gunk out of the wood grain but will dry out a rosewood or ebony fretboard within days, due to the ammonia, unless you oil shortly after cleaning.

Once a year, immediately before cleaning and oiling the fretboard, I will polish my frets with 0000 steel wool, but be sure to cover and tape the body of the guitar before you get steel wool near your axe. The magnets in the pickups will attract the small metal dust and slivers from polishing your frets and those metal particles will be impossible to remove once they work into the electronics. That shit will short and ruin the electronics of a guitar. Its just better to use a plastic garbage bag, taping the edge of the bag around the body of a guitar before using steel wool to polish the frets. Then use the window cleaner, and oil before removing the plastic bag very slowly as to not stir up the dust. I actually remove the tape and bag in another room or outside.

I hope this is all clear. I can explain more if need be. Cheers

+1. Bore oils are simply the best. Period. Lemon oils are mostly mineral oil and fragrance, not the best for cleaning.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2007-08-14, 23:49
blitz906
Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zick
The blood of those who ruined your fretboard is the only effective cleaning fluid.

I flew out of my house like shit from a goose and ran after them (I'm a fucking fast runner) and grabbed the kid who was holding the eggs, the others kept running. I totally lost it and must have punched him in the face four times before he hit the ground, I gave him three more when he was down and decided to stop when I noticed a tooth on the ground. I think I broke his nose too, it looked pretty fucking crooked. I walked back to my house, washed the blood off my hands and it took me awhile to get back to sleep because I was fucking pissed. Luckily nothing came of my little outburst. Haven't seen any cops on my doorstep yet
Quote:
Quote:

Old 2007-08-15, 01:51
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz906
I flew out of my house like shit from a goose and ran after them (I'm a fucking fast runner) and grabbed the kid who was holding the eggs, the others kept running. I totally lost it and must have punched him in the face four times before he hit the ground, I gave him three more when he was down and decided to stop when I noticed a tooth on the ground. I think I broke his nose too, it looked pretty fucking crooked. I walked back to my house, washed the blood off my hands and it took me awhile to get back to sleep because I was fucking pissed. Luckily nothing came of my little outburst. Haven't seen any cops on my doorstep yet

Brutal I can't blame you though.

Old 2007-08-15, 04:43
blitz906
Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulinsane
Brutal I can't blame you though.

I wouldn't have been as pissed off if my bass didn't get splattered. But unfortunately for him, that was the first thing I noticed.
Quote:
Quote:

Old 2007-08-16, 12:25
Musician1978
Senior Metalhead

I hear ya. Don't fuck with my musical shit.

Old 2007-08-17, 11:12
blitz906
Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician1978
I hear ya. Don't fuck with my musical shit.

Agreed. I guard my instruments and gear with my fucking life.
Quote:
Quote:

Old 2007-12-22, 13:30
faf_476
New Blood

Good thing you didn't kill the git with your bare hands. Or else goodbye music world. Goodbye bass guitar.