MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us


Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone
User Name
Password


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread
  #1  
Old 2007-08-10, 22:11
blitz906's Avatar
blitz906 blitz906 is offline
Okay.
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 4,137
Send a message via MSN to blitz906 Send a message via Yahoo to blitz906
Question Cleaning fingerboard?

So just last night these little drunken motherfucking kids decided that it would be funny to throw an egg through my open window. Luckily most of it went on the wall, no big deal. But some of it went on the fingerboard of my bass what would you recommend for cleaning it off? I don't want to use guitar polish because that dulls strings, and I'm going to have to wind a new set of strings on now so I don't want them to get all dull.
~Thanks guys
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Chances are there have been Irish in every corner of the world, no matter how remote. Our semen is listed in the World Health Organisation's Big Book of Pestilential Materials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2007-08-11, 09:11
sixsicsix's Avatar
sixsicsix sixsicsix is offline
6 lvl 80's sucka.
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tallahassee Florida
Posts: 2,483
Send a message via AIM to sixsicsix
well, either way you're going to have to take the strings off to properly clean it.


I use lemon oil
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
I have no real friends, so I have to make up my own memories:

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2007-08-11, 13:26
Sweet Pizza's Avatar
Sweet Pizza Sweet Pizza is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northern Michigan
Posts: 114
I was going to say the same thing. Lemon Oil is the way to go.
__________________
Pizzas, salads and shakes, nothing better to party for a group of teenagers! This menu will be more than enough for ten hungry young adults; including a variety of pizzas, two salads and a chocolate shake. Your kids will ask for these fabulous meals many times more.

Just what does Sweet Pizza listen to?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2007-08-11, 13:59
MetalThrashingMad's Avatar
MetalThrashingMad MetalThrashingMad is offline
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Highway to the Danger Zone
Posts: 6,026
I use steel wool to clean my frets / fretboard and put linseed oil on to protect the wood.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
"Ja mein little poodle, I will hang you by your nipples in my garage,
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2007-08-11, 14:36
blitz906's Avatar
blitz906 blitz906 is offline
Okay.
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 4,137
Send a message via MSN to blitz906 Send a message via Yahoo to blitz906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pizza
Lemon Oil is the way to go.

Will that properly clean it?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Chances are there have been Irish in every corner of the world, no matter how remote. Our semen is listed in the World Health Organisation's Big Book of Pestilential Materials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2007-08-11, 22:07
sixsicsix's Avatar
sixsicsix sixsicsix is offline
6 lvl 80's sucka.
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Tallahassee Florida
Posts: 2,483
Send a message via AIM to sixsicsix
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz906
Will that properly clean it?

yes, and it makes it smell good too.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
I have no real friends, so I have to make up my own memories:

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2007-08-12, 00:40
Soulinsane's Avatar
Soulinsane Soulinsane is offline
Pirate Lawd
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hanger 18
Posts: 6,507
Armstrong Bore oil treats a fretboard very good too. A little goes a long way. I've used it for like 10+ years now and I'm still using the same 1.6oz bottle. A tech from Jackson guitars recommended I use it instead of lemon oil back when I owned my old KV-1. The dude was right on about it being one of the best things to treat a fretboard.

I use a micro fiber cloth to clean my strings and guitars every time I play but twice a year I use window cleaner ( on a rag ) to clean the fretboards. It does the best job of cleaning the gunk out of the wood grain but will dry out a rosewood or ebony fretboard within days, due to the ammonia, unless you oil shortly after cleaning.

Once a year, immediately before cleaning and oiling the fretboard, I will polish my frets with 0000 steel wool, but be sure to cover and tape the body of the guitar before you get steel wool near your axe. The magnets in the pickups will attract the small metal dust and slivers from polishing your frets and those metal particles will be impossible to remove once they work into the electronics. That shit will short and ruin the electronics of a guitar. Its just better to use a plastic garbage bag, taping the edge of the bag around the body of a guitar before using steel wool to polish the frets. Then use the window cleaner, and oil before removing the plastic bag very slowly as to not stir up the dust. I actually remove the tape and bag in another room or outside.

I hope this is all clear. I can explain more if need be. Cheers
__________________
Authorized Mercury Magnetics tech/dealer
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2007-08-13, 16:35
Zick Zick is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 100
The blood of those who ruined your fretboard is the only effective cleaning fluid.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 2007-08-13, 23:30
Sweet Pizza's Avatar
Sweet Pizza Sweet Pizza is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northern Michigan
Posts: 114
Wouldn't that mean you'd have to use your own blood.........??

Oh wait, I acknowledged that post.
__________________
Pizzas, salads and shakes, nothing better to party for a group of teenagers! This menu will be more than enough for ten hungry young adults; including a variety of pizzas, two salads and a chocolate shake. Your kids will ask for these fabulous meals many times more.

Just what does Sweet Pizza listen to?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2007-08-14, 14:09
Valtiel's Avatar
Valtiel Valtiel is offline
Supreme Metalhead
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: West Coast
Posts: 839
Send a message via AIM to Valtiel Send a message via MSN to Valtiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulinsane
Armstrong Bore oil treats a fretboard very good too. A little goes a long way. I've used it for like 10+ years now and I'm still using the same 1.6oz bottle. A tech from Jackson guitars recommended I use it instead of lemon oil back when I owned my old KV-1. The dude was right on about it being one of the best things to treat a fretboard.

I use a micro fiber cloth to clean my strings and guitars every time I play but twice a year I use window cleaner ( on a rag ) to clean the fretboards. It does the best job of cleaning the gunk out of the wood grain but will dry out a rosewood or ebony fretboard within days, due to the ammonia, unless you oil shortly after cleaning.

Once a year, immediately before cleaning and oiling the fretboard, I will polish my frets with 0000 steel wool, but be sure to cover and tape the body of the guitar before you get steel wool near your axe. The magnets in the pickups will attract the small metal dust and slivers from polishing your frets and those metal particles will be impossible to remove once they work into the electronics. That shit will short and ruin the electronics of a guitar. Its just better to use a plastic garbage bag, taping the edge of the bag around the body of a guitar before using steel wool to polish the frets. Then use the window cleaner, and oil before removing the plastic bag very slowly as to not stir up the dust. I actually remove the tape and bag in another room or outside.

I hope this is all clear. I can explain more if need be. Cheers


+1. Bore oils are simply the best. Period. Lemon oils are mostly mineral oil and fragrance, not the best for cleaning.
__________________
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 2007-08-14, 18:49
blitz906's Avatar
blitz906 blitz906 is offline
Okay.
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 4,137
Send a message via MSN to blitz906 Send a message via Yahoo to blitz906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zick
The blood of those who ruined your fretboard is the only effective cleaning fluid.

I flew out of my house like shit from a goose and ran after them (I'm a fucking fast runner) and grabbed the kid who was holding the eggs, the others kept running. I totally lost it and must have punched him in the face four times before he hit the ground, I gave him three more when he was down and decided to stop when I noticed a tooth on the ground. I think I broke his nose too, it looked pretty fucking crooked. I walked back to my house, washed the blood off my hands and it took me awhile to get back to sleep because I was fucking pissed. Luckily nothing came of my little outburst. Haven't seen any cops on my doorstep yet
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Chances are there have been Irish in every corner of the world, no matter how remote. Our semen is listed in the World Health Organisation's Big Book of Pestilential Materials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 2007-08-14, 20:51
Soulinsane's Avatar
Soulinsane Soulinsane is offline
Pirate Lawd
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hanger 18
Posts: 6,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz906
I flew out of my house like shit from a goose and ran after them (I'm a fucking fast runner) and grabbed the kid who was holding the eggs, the others kept running. I totally lost it and must have punched him in the face four times before he hit the ground, I gave him three more when he was down and decided to stop when I noticed a tooth on the ground. I think I broke his nose too, it looked pretty fucking crooked. I walked back to my house, washed the blood off my hands and it took me awhile to get back to sleep because I was fucking pissed. Luckily nothing came of my little outburst. Haven't seen any cops on my doorstep yet


Brutal I can't blame you though.
__________________
Authorized Mercury Magnetics tech/dealer
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 2007-08-14, 23:43
blitz906's Avatar
blitz906 blitz906 is offline
Okay.
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 4,137
Send a message via MSN to blitz906 Send a message via Yahoo to blitz906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulinsane
Brutal I can't blame you though.

I wouldn't have been as pissed off if my bass didn't get splattered. But unfortunately for him, that was the first thing I noticed.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Chances are there have been Irish in every corner of the world, no matter how remote. Our semen is listed in the World Health Organisation's Big Book of Pestilential Materials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 2007-08-16, 07:25
Musician1978 Musician1978 is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 135
I hear ya. Don't fuck with my musical shit.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 2007-08-17, 06:12
blitz906's Avatar
blitz906 blitz906 is offline
Okay.
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 4,137
Send a message via MSN to blitz906 Send a message via Yahoo to blitz906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musician1978
I hear ya. Don't fuck with my musical shit.

Agreed. I guard my instruments and gear with my fucking life.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Chances are there have been Irish in every corner of the world, no matter how remote. Our semen is listed in the World Health Organisation's Big Book of Pestilential Materials.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 2007-12-22, 09:30
faf_476 faf_476 is offline
New Blood
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 47
Good thing you didn't kill the git with your bare hands. Or else goodbye music world. Goodbye bass guitar.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47.


========

Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer
Copyright © 2001-2009 MetalTabs.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.