MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2007-06-18, 23:16
Requiem
Post-whore

Brutal Death Metal Vocals

I've been listening to a lot of brutal DM lately and now I have been inspired to learn how to do those type of vocals. But I have no idea where to start. I want to sound like the vocalist from Disgorge or close to it, maybe Dying Fetus. Any tips would be great.

Old 2007-06-19, 00:24
7-string warlord
Post-whore

http://www.wikihow.com/Do-Harsh-Death-Metal-Vocals

this is pretty much what everyone will tell you here...I've been trying to do vocals without using my throat, like it says in the link, but I'm finding it damn near impossible...

Old 2007-06-22, 02:38
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

Okay, i've heard dying fetus.. and I just took a good look at disgorge.

My best bet would be that disgorge expecially uses the closed throat (slightly above a whisper) tecnique, however i could be mistaken, and it could be inwards, but he does very good annuniciation (spelling?) if it was inwards.

good luck, and follow all of the guides that we have tried to explain as of so far.

Old 2007-06-22, 11:42
- EXILE -
Metalhead

If you wana sound anything like Dying Fetus or Cannibal Corpse etc you have to belt it out as loud and as low as you can (if your in your room you should be able to hear it from outside your house) dont even bother with closing your throat off it has to be open. You have to push from your gut, try breathing in without moving for shoulders. You can change the sound by ether just yelling it relly low (relaxing your throat) or pushing the sound more to the front of your throat, kinda hard to explain. Aswell as changing the shape of your mouth.

Old 2007-07-01, 22:31
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

I can sound very similar, if not, identical to Chris Barnes by belting at a medium volume and somewhat tightening the throat to give the tone.

Old 2007-07-06, 23:15
crustcorestenchhead9
Metalhead

stick the tip of you tounge as far back on the top of your throat thats comfortable and you get a really deep sound with you growl, its all about position....

Old 2007-07-07, 00:00
Myrmidonlord666
Senior Metalhead

Disgorge and Dying Fetus/Cannibal corpse are not done the same way...

Atleast Matti Way era Disgorge is like a froggy belch, and like the guy above me said it requires the whisper like vocal style, atleast thats how i've seen it done.
If you try getting those froggy vocals "loud" and belt them out, your going to be very upset when they don't get that high.
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
it was too hifi for me...
it's like a hot chick that is horrible in bed.