MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2007-05-15, 19:36
ilya GRINDCORE
New Blood

Low Growling and High Screams

Hey i was just wondering about low growls and high screams..i have read many threads on this subject and they talk about closeing the throat yada ect...but the problem is im unsure how exactly work with it..like i dont understand how do work my throat closed or open, like how to exactly close it if you know what i mean..any advice would be great? i may sound like a jackass haha but please if someone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 2007-05-16, 02:28
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

the guide to getting any air out via diaphragm is to first FIND your diaphragm muscle.

you're going to find it by starting a low sss noise and gradually getting the sss louder.

this will make your diaphragm tighten and you'll notice it feels like you're tensing your abs.

your diaphragm is the key to ANY metal vocal, including singing.

for a low guttural I say either go above a whisper, or just belt it out with your diaphragm, dont think about your throat, try to leave it as open as possible, just like you're breathing and standing still.

for a higher vocal you're going to need to tighten the throat, as if you're swallowing.

depending on your voice and your phlegm your highs will either be Shrill piercing highs, mid-range evil raspy highs, upper mid-range highs, or more of a less raspy "screamo" high. or anything between these, everyones voice is different, and this is most apparent in high vocals. Whatever you do, do not try to go beyond your range into a falsetto with highs, it sounds terrible, it squeeks, and it make the mic pop.

i hope my info helps. cheers.

i hope my information helps you

Old 2007-05-16, 03:13
ilya GRINDCORE
New Blood

your advice for the guttural/breeh is definately kind of working..but is it supposed to sound like a whisper? or is that how it will in the begining and generally start to sound more brutal?

and as for the diaphragm im not sure if like i can find it haha..or if im letting enough air out ect. im sort of still confused about this, when i try a low growl it sounds..idk how to explain it like muffled and whispery?

and as for the highs, i would rate my highs as piercing highs, i was in a straight grindcore band, almost like tower of rome,
( www.myspace.com/towerofrome )
and they were amazing for that style but i need them now to be sort of lower such as and elysia high scream ( www.myspace.com/elysia )
i would try like that but it just wouldent come out right..

Old 2007-05-23, 00:49
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

okay bro, never give up, just keep working on your lows, thats how mine sounded untill i kept at it and mastered throat position, air flow, aswell as how much pressure im putting in the right places, at first they will sound sort of airy, try to get more air out, USE THE DIAPHRAGMM!!!!

if you dont know how just mess around with tightening your ab muscles or work with what I told you above, also look up some tutorials on google, be careful, typing in how to use a diaphragm on google will relate to the female sex protection thing. haha.

highs like I said can be acheived many ways, but lows are alot different, lows just take assloads of practice and alot of experimenting to find the most pristine tone you can get.

and speaking of Elysia, Elysia, Knights Of The Abyss, Arsonists Get All The Girls, and a few really tight local bands are gunna be playing down here in june, i'm totally hyped. =]

Old 2007-05-23, 01:33
crustcorestenchhead9
Metalhead

iv never heard of either of them bands there botch sick. im glad you mentioned them, but yeah if i were you i wouldnt try and sound like the second band because if you automatically sound like the first with the screechy vox then you have something speacial rite there. i have met only 1 vocalist in m life that does there vox that high and everybody else sound very simalure. its really original, i wish mine sounded liek that but you know...

Old 2007-05-25, 00:41
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

I can do really high vocals, I just choose not to.

they are'nt "heavy" enough for me.

Old 2007-05-25, 00:42
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

oh another band playing there is King Conquer, they're pretty sick too, they're local but they have all professional recording and stuff.

and my homies band of course Before The Burning.

Old 2007-05-25, 03:07
DBSE
New Blood

I really like high pitched screams, adds a lot of dynamics when done right.

But as for your type of voice determining the type of high is something I disagree with to the utmost. When I started attempting highs they were very jagged and raspy but through practice and technique my highs are piercing comparable to the highs of Devin Townsend, Randy Blythe etc.

Old 2007-05-28, 22:27
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

everyone starts differently and figures things out differently, it's harder to explain a natural occurance then anything else, it's like asking how to move my left leg with my brain, it's impossible or near impossible to explain.

however there are ways to help someone progress, and at least give them the best tips you can.

Old 2007-06-01, 03:52
DBSE
New Blood

The best tips I can give someone. Is scream at the top of your lungs for highs and try to morph the sound with out hurting yourself.

Highs are difficult to explain, it's more of a trail and error technique.

Old 2007-06-01, 04:39
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

that's odd. my lows were more of trial and error and my highs just came to me.

Old 2007-06-01, 17:25
DBSE
New Blood

Same here I just look at screaming as a trail and error thing. But highs just work. Lows are so difficult for me. I don't want to do typical death metal lows. I don't want gutturals so to speak. I just want that low sound. It's becoming difficult.

Old 2007-06-01, 20:05
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

yeah same, I can't seem to get lows at all, just gutturals and cookie monsters.

ha

Old 2007-06-12, 02:14
DBSE
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuspendedByTheThroat
yeah same, I can't seem to get lows at all, just gutturals and cookie monsters.

ha

It's fuckin' tough. One problem with metal vocals is it feels differently than it sounds so that fucks with your head voice.

Old 2007-06-12, 03:17
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBSE
It's fuckin' tough. One problem with metal vocals is it feels differently than it sounds so that fucks with your head voice.

i have gotten so used to using my diaphragm it's hard for me to even use my head voice when i do anything above light talking.