MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone

Old 2007-05-13, 17:58
soliloquy
Senior Metalhead

guitar amp for bass?

umm...prolly a stupid question, but i dont know a whole lto about basses. i'm a guitarist...

anyways, a few friends of mine are trying to get a bass, but they seem to hate the bass amps. all they are finding is shitty stuff with just a bass, treble, eq, and on/off switch. so a really basic amp. but want some distortion and what not...

but apperently they say that using a guitar amp for your bass would fuck up botht he bass, and the amp, and its 'not recommended'

but then again, they say taht its recomended to start off with an acoutic guitar. though strings on an electric guitar are much thinner and easie to play.

so tell me, if you use a guitar amp for a bass, will it fuck up the amp, or the bass, or nothing will happen? i know that band Kyuss uses a bass amp for their guitar though...and they seem fine

Old 2007-05-13, 18:53
SolothurN
Senior Metalhead

question was here once before...
anyway, YES - using guitar amp for bass will fuck up the amp. I have no idea what your friends meant by saying it will fuck up your bass, lol, that's ridiculous, unless they were talking about sound...

other thing is - bass amp isn't GUITAR amp... buying bass amp only because it has distortion onboard is like buying guitar only because it's black. lol, many bass amps are basic amps, it depends on amp power too - bigger amps are equipped with better options, like graphic EQ or compressor.

Old 2007-05-13, 19:27
Demigod
Metalhead

i have done it with mine and it works

Old 2007-05-13, 19:33
SolothurN
Senior Metalhead

yeah? so how big is your amp, how long were you playing like that and with what volume where you playing? ;P

Old 2007-05-13, 21:28
soliloquy
Senior Metalhead

well, i'm talking about some basic cheap lil 10 watt guitar amp. somthing you can buy for less than a hundred bucks. even those have more features on it than a bass amp for about 600 bucks(unless i dont know what i'm looking at...) but i was messing around with a massive bass amp for maybe 200 watts or somthing(being sold for about 900 dollars) and even my balls have more features on it than the amp. what is up with that? sure, ive never seen an amp having a 'standby' switch along with a 'on/off' switch and some other switches. but it had 2 bass knobs, 2 treble knobs, and 1 EQ knob, and thats it.

yeah, you can hook up your bass to pedals. i have a few friends(who have been playing for about 7 or 8 years) do that with their bass....but for noobs, buying pedals, a bass, an amp etc is kinda pricey...

Old 2007-05-14, 00:15
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

unless your willing to pay alot of money(1000+) dont even buy anything with distortion in it. Just get the basic bass amp, chances are you arent cool enough for bass anyways.

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg

Old 2007-05-14, 14:56
SolothurN
Senior Metalhead

don't play bass then if it's pricey, lol

Old 2007-05-14, 18:11
soliloquy
Senior Metalhead

arg

when i say 'pricey' i mean that my friends budget is about 500 dollars that includes the bass and the amp(for someone whos starting)

but for someone playing a while, i can understand if their bass alone costs a1000 bucks. like getting a warwick or somthing

Old 2007-05-14, 19:29
Requiem
Post-whore

Get the Ibanez starter kit.

Old 2007-05-14, 19:49
Demigod
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolothurN
yeah? so how big is your amp, how long were you playing like that and with what volume where you playing? ;P

i play like that alot man it is like 15 wat and half vloume

Old 2007-05-15, 02:25
soliloquy
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem
Get the Ibanez starter kit.

one of them got that...the other hates starter kits, and has set his eyes on a Cort bass. dont know which amp to get yet

Old 2007-05-15, 19:07
SolothurN
Senior Metalhead

which Cort? Ya know what? I bought my guitar - Apollo, 4 string, 24 frets. 2x volume, 2x tone. I payed little less than for one Cort, but due to it's specifications it has more sound to offer than that Cort. After more than 2 years of playing on it, i have to say i'm quite satisfied that i started with that guitar.

Old 2007-05-16, 02:31
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soliloquy
one of them got that...the other hates starter kits, and has set his eyes on a Cort bass. dont know which amp to get yet

yeah, I dunno though most corts are like 300+ and that really doesnt leave you with much amp options

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg

Old 2007-05-16, 14:11
soliloquy
Senior Metalhead

he's going for a cort curbow. it isnt really a basic cort bass. has umm...4 knobs for 'somthing' and 1 toggle...even though the bass has just 1 pickup. so i have to figure that out. but supposedly on one toggle, it sounds better to slap, then the other, where it sounds better to finger pick.

one thing i like about the curbow is that since the body is TINY and weighs almost nothing, then you can predict that the neck/headstock would weigh in heavier. and since the neck is heavier, you are forced to sit with it in a classical position, as suppose to the casual position. whats good about that? atleast it doesnt look like you're giving yourself a blowjob from far away, so would be better for your posture

oh btw, both friends of mine are notinto metal. one of them is into jazzy/bluesy/fusion kinda thing. and the other is into classic rock...so yeah

and the amp...i guess since they are starting it doesnt really matter. i heard that laney amps are pretty good. and there is one being sold for about 125 or somthing...i think its a 10 watt amp. i think that that is fairly good, and its not like they'd be playing gigs within the next 1 year or so, so 10 watts should keep them occupied

Old 2007-05-16, 15:20
SolothurN
Senior Metalhead

no shit amps are so expensive in US, i won't believe anyway. Tell me, how much does the Laney HCM65B costs then?

Old 2007-05-17, 02:52
soliloquy
Senior Metalhead

my bad. that 125 dollar one is for 15 watts. the 100 is for the 10 watt

and HCM65B? thats a 65 watt right? i dont know much about bass amps. but if bass amps have a similar price as the guitar amps, then it should be over 300 dollars.

Old 2007-05-17, 11:39
SolothurN
Senior Metalhead

aight, that means that UK stuff isn't so cheap in US then i bought my one, here in Poland, for something like 315 dollars, so there isn't big difference between here and US.

Old 2007-05-17, 18:28
soliloquy
Senior Metalhead

humm...poland has that EU currency does it not? and if the amp is found for the same price in america/canada, then its cheaper over in america/canada than in poland.

Old 2007-05-17, 20:34
SolothurN
Senior Metalhead

nope, we're not in euro area yet

Old 2007-05-26, 00:59
Demoniac
New Blood

I want to buy a bass (155 euro = 162 $ probably) but I don't want to buy another amp....is it that risky to use it on my CUBE ROLAND 15W ? I will not use it very loud...no more than 2 ou 3 level........because If i'm going to buy another amp it will be the cube roland 15 W BASS lol anyways I was saving because I want to buy the Behering V-AMP combo.