Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > MetalTabs.com > News
User Name
Password

Old 2007-04-12, 07:23
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
If people who were descendants of Beethoven, Bach, and Vivaldi could step forward, their music would not be in public domain.

How so when Bach he wrote music for the church his whole life? How about Mozart that money grabbing basterd wrote 100's of pieces to people who would give him money. The fact is that is not possible. These works were grandfathered in per say..i mean if the owners dead and copyright laws didn't exist how in the hell can you give him copyright protection now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
Very few Irish bands have had a copyright on their songs, and with no copyright there's no copyright infringement. But a similar idea applies: how can they enforce a 'right' when there doesn't have to be any copying to have the exact same notes (i.e. if somebody can just listen to a tune and play it)? They can't. They can only enforce it if somebody copies the song or if it gets covered in a context in which the cover itself is making the band money, both of which have been the traditional domain of this argument, for that very reason. So this is a big, gay diversion, presumably for something of which we're oblivious, but which will be fucking awful.

As for this part man thats retarded and you know it. Just because we tab it by ear we are still copying. Yea you can say all you want "Exact same Note", but really take that into context for a momment. We arranged these tabs by band name, cd, song name. Ok those Exact same notes you are talking about are inside the tab. The tab is in the same exact timing as the original song and you have to use the original song to learn how to play it. Therefore its copying because those notes are arranged in the same timing, and order as the original work, and without that original work you would have never known how to do it in the first place.

Last edited by Pr0az : 2007-04-12 at 08:15.
Old 2007-04-12, 08:12
Senior Metalhead

Why doesn't the custodian of this website transfer ownership to a bum?

Go up to some dude and say, I'll give you $20 if we can state that you own this website?

This way, the guy has nothing and can't be sued for anything anyways and we can still post the stuff up there?

Perhaps a crappy suggestion. It's early in the morning, leave me alone...

but we don't use the
fish to feed the pussy.

http://www.myspace.com/lordpartytime2000
Old 2007-04-12, 08:41
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
"People can get [tab] for free on the internet, and it's hurting the songwriters," MPA president Lauren Keiser told the New York Times

hahaha, ouch you tabbed my song out

this is actually a load of bullshit.... BIG bullshit...

just send them a turd in the post or something 'from all at metaltabs.com'

Thrash Metal from Somerset!!!!!

BANGERS & THRASH!!!!!!! UK Thrash compilation CD, awesome bands, awesome tracks!!!
Old 2007-04-12, 08:47
Slayer of dumb cunts

Send a message via AIM to tmfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkenelf
Good luck Nomad, with all of this...

tmfreak, it almost sounds you work for that NMPA company??

? Did you read all the posts? ha

The difference between me and others who think about things in an intelligent manner is you have to build up your opposing side in order to find its weaknesses and flaws. If you can't even do that you are dead on arrival before you ever get a word off about anything.
Your opinions seem weak and nobody takes you seriously.

Where were you when i was talking about tabs being an original work of the WRITER and not the artist? Thats how i see it. Which makes the NMPA have absolutely no case.
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...
Old 2007-04-12, 08:52
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0az
As for this part man thats retarded and you know it. Just because we tab it by ear we are still copying. Yea you can say all you want "Exact same Note", but really take that into context for a momment. We arranged these tabs by band name, cd, song name. Ok those Exact same notes you are talking about are inside the tab. The tab is in the same exact timing as the original song and you have to use the original song to learn how to play it. Therefore its copying because those notes are arranged in the same timing, and order as the original work, and without that original work you would have never known how to do it in the first place.

No thats is a good arguement. This is not. There is a distinct difference between the 2. Just because something may appear the same doesn't make it so. I should have already shut you up about this topic refering back to your bs warez website.

Regardless just because you slap a name on it it doesn't make it a copy. So if we just leave them nameless or put "this sounds a little like" (insert name of band here) that would completely go around it?

There is a clear difference between production in this case. Its transcribing something that is not "known" and i don't see how the BAND has ownership of that. Thats absolute bullshit if i can't type out a few things, without some fucking random band having ownership over that .txt file I made, not them but me. Thats asinine and i would think it would be hard to find one person that disagrees with me in those rights. Especially in an area as completely grey as the music industry where you could have similar riffs with similar ideas and it still be original.
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
Old 2007-04-12, 09:41
Metal As Fuck!

Send a message via MSN to davie_gravy Send a message via Yahoo to davie_gravy
God, this fucking sucks! I hope they can find a way to resolve this matter without having to stop tabs on the internet all together. Tabs are essential to an uprising musician. I would bet every famous artist used tabs in their learning days as a resource to learning their favorite bands songs. It's not like anyone is making money off these tabs, they state 'they are for educational purposes.' That's exactly what we want them for. Who the hell would try to 'sell' a tab, that should be the only grounds the NMPA should be concerned with. Not a bunch of kids wanting to get better at their instrument. Fuck the fucking fuckers!!

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.
Old 2007-04-12, 11:39
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Pr0az: First, if somebody could be said to have owned the work at any point, the descendants of said person could have copyrighted it when the possibility came up. Quite aside from that, the possibility first came up in the early 18th century. You need to stop this silly tangential argument.

Second, are you aware of the distinction between publishing and recording rights? Aside from that, thought you repeated the phrase 'exact same notes' a bunch of times, you didn't address the point I used the phrase in. You don't have to copy any existing, copyrighted material in order to be able to play the song. They are claiming that you do. Look at the decisions in existing copyright infringement cases; they have nothing to do with either what you're claiming or what these kinds of lawsuits claim. Why do you think that is? It's because a copyright doesn't work how you think it does, which is probably a good thing. Anyhow, it doesn't work that way yet. It might when this is all over.

Last edited by PST 88 : 2007-04-12 at 11:45.
Old 2007-04-12, 12:29
Post-whore

Fuck dude you can't explain shit to you guys. You want to make the law fit your own agenda. End of fucking story im done in this thread....
Old 2007-04-12, 13:48
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0az
Fuck dude you can't explain shit to you guys. You want to make the law fit your own agenda. End of fucking story im done in this thread....

Don't you think anybody in their right mind could say the very same back to you, completely negating any reason for you to even say this?
Old 2007-04-12, 15:17
Metalhead

Send a message via MSN to No Heart
Well since your all talking about beethoven, I found this tab site that has like fucking ALL classical, baroque, tabs; and they just started up a forum. So if any of you are up to learning a bunch of new classical tabs check it out: www.classtab.org its actually really good!
Old 2007-04-12, 16:15
Metalhead

Music is the voice of "God" and any attempt by these money-men to profit needlessly from this is hideously evil. Any other discussion is simply a trip into Choronzon's pit of reason.
Old 2007-04-12, 18:22
New Blood

ARGH! I thought this site was safe... it's not like the NMPA or whatever get any money from these bands anyways. I'm going to call them later today and complain.

If UG is resisting, metaltabs should too.

I'll be back to rant some more later, I gotta eat for now.
Old 2007-04-12, 18:46
Life is pain.
Banned

$$$$lica
Old 2007-04-12, 18:52
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to HAMMERSMASHEDFACE Send a message via MSN to HAMMERSMASHEDFACE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
I'de like to see what UG does, I've been a mod there for years and Eugeny (the owner) will definetly take it up.
Let's first see what happens there. Does anyone know of any record of previous legal battles between tab websites and these guys?

These guys are like organised crime. And organisation of rich fucks afraid to lose a bit of money on their copyrighted songs. Just look at their personal profiles, what a bunch of wankers.

fret play for like 5-6 months of shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
He's calling you a faggot piece of shit because you are young and unintelligent, and most of all, you are a boring, stereotyopical, close minded metal head. Please don't pretend to understand anything PST says. Please leave the forum now.
Old 2007-04-12, 18:57
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to HAMMERSMASHEDFACE Send a message via MSN to HAMMERSMASHEDFACE
i am pist so i sent them an email;
what is your problem all we want to do on tab sites is learn how to play a song we are making no money off of it but because i learn a deicide song i owe them money that is crap get your act together and how much money could one person possibly have music is more important than money get is strait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
He's calling you a faggot piece of shit because you are young and unintelligent, and most of all, you are a boring, stereotyopical, close minded metal head. Please don't pretend to understand anything PST says. Please leave the forum now.
Old 2007-04-12, 19:00
Post-whore

im sure theyll be impressed with teh 7331z93^K
lawlz
Old 2007-04-12, 19:24
Life is pain.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMERSMASHEDFACE
what is your problem all we want to do on tab sites is learn how to play a song we are making no money off of it but because i learn a deicide song i owe them money that is crap get your act together and how much money could one person possibly have music is more important than money get is strait

Wow. Just... wow.
Old 2007-04-12, 19:30
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to CannibalXampire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMERSMASHEDFACE

thats the exact kind of immature dumb shit id expect from someone your age yeah jeeze
Old 2007-04-12, 19:31
New Blood

Well I read the 10 Myths about Copyrights, and from what I get from it the bands seem to have absolute control over their songs, be it the actual mixed recording with all guitars, bass, drums & vocals, or simply the arrangement of notes from just the guitar parts shoddily transcribed with heavy rhythm mistakes (...) – therefore we are indeed breaking copyright laws. BUT, one very interesting point in the article mentions that a lot of artist DON’T CARE to enforce those and won’t take actions because like it’s already been said, tabs are a form of promotion, it’s flattering, etc. And since there are no Me…Met……..(can’t say it) on this site, then we’re perfectly fine, because I suspect that 100% of the bands listed here would be with us.
Old 2007-04-12, 19:48
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to CannibalXampire
Why not (until the whole thing is resolved or close or whatever) you post the tabs of people's bands from this board? And send messages to smaller bands who are more likely to actually respond, and build up a database of tabs of these smaller bands, so at least there'll be something?