MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2002-10-23, 22:43
Midnight
Senior Metalhead

Strings of choice

Well I finally broke a string on my Gibson.. took about a week (I hate strings) anyways.. I went into my local guitar center and bought some strings.. I bought the GHS Zakk Wylde Boomers .10's.. I don't know what it is.. but I think these strings blow and I know now why they cost 5 bucks.. Any suggestions.. I don't think I like .10's.. I think I prefer .09's.. Also these sound weird.. I don't know what it is.. Anyways.. what do you guys use?

And I know there was a string thread about 3 months ago.. I wanted an update

Last edited by Midnight : 2002-10-23 at 22:50.

Old 2002-10-24, 00:38
guitar_demon
MotörCat

i use 10-48 i love them but all my friends are amazed i use so heavy gauges i not know why its so amazing there just wierd i guess ut i use ernie balls i enjoy them although i am thinking of switching to fender strings cause whenver i get a fender string it seems like they last longer which is a very good thing so i think i will make the chnage soon but i dont have to but strings for a bit cause i usually go out and buy a lot on one day just to get it out of the way and so i dont have to run to the store if one breaks
Ok. You're literate, intelligent and funny-FBS

"Calm down, Edgar back in your cage"-far beyond sane
"you suck the cat-avatar-guy doesnt"-The Doc
Now My Legacy Shall Live Forever!!

Old 2002-10-24, 00:41
Midnight
Senior Metalhead

The guy at guitar center told me today that Gibson just started making bigger gauge strings .. I think i'm going to try them next.. I have a set of Ernie ball's .10 on my strat copy and I love them.. I don't know what it is about these GHS'.. they just sound like crap.. and they feel so weird..

Old 2002-10-24, 01:43
guitar_demon
MotörCat

if they sound and feel like crap then you should defenitly change them and dont go by what ever is the heaviets gauge or what other people are playong just go with whatever feels comfortable and has a good tone to you
Ok. You're literate, intelligent and funny-FBS

"Calm down, Edgar back in your cage"-far beyond sane
"you suck the cat-avatar-guy doesnt"-The Doc
Now My Legacy Shall Live Forever!!

Old 2002-10-24, 02:51
Midnight
Senior Metalhead

I really liked the strings that came on my Gibson.. for being .09's they were heavy as hell.. really nice.. I should just switch back to Gibson strings.. I guess I just don't like heavy strings.. i've always used .09's.. shit I couldn't even imagine using 11's or 12's.. christ that's gotta be insane

Old 2002-10-24, 04:31
PantericA
Post-whore

i use dean markly nickle steel .09 and i love them. i've played on them for about three or four years now. maybe i'll try a different set next time i swich them. but i'll always stay with the .09 strings. any suggestions on what brand?

Old 2002-10-24, 05:06
PsychoHoliday
New Blood

I've always swore by Blue Steel 10-46. Long life, clear tone, easy bendability, haven't really found anything that compares to em, but that's just me though

Old 2002-10-24, 05:08
Midnight
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally posted by PsychoHoliday
I've always swore by Blue Steel 10-46. Long life, clear tone, easy bendability, haven't really found anything that compares to em, but that's just me though

See, that's the thing.. these zakk wyldes don't bend at ALL there so stiff.. you'd think with them being "Zakk wylde's" strings they would bend like crazy.. but that's not the case here.. <shrugs> these strings confuse me..

Old 2002-10-24, 07:31
PsychoHoliday
New Blood

Try blue steel man

Old 2002-10-24, 07:35
Midnight
Senior Metalhead

I used to use Blue steels a long time ago.. I'm going to switch back to them.. they were always good strings.. Zakk Wylde rocks and stuff.. but his strings blow.. Sorry Zakk (I doubt you'll ever read this)

Old 2002-10-24, 19:43
terminus
Senior Metalhead

I use both D'Addario and DR 10-56 7-string sets.