MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2007-04-03, 10:17
Diabolius
New Blood

My try... (Opeth-Style)

Listen here, and if you like it I explain how I do it.

Vocal Sample 1

Old 2007-04-03, 19:22
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

too many effects. didnt even hear "you"

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg

Old 2007-04-03, 20:01
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

Sounded like wispering with effects over it.

Old 2007-04-03, 21:02
Diabolius
New Blood

No effects, hot water only, as I already stated on my myspace account.
Same technique like Mikael Akerfeldt. He doesn't use effects either.

Last edited by Diabolius : 2007-04-03 at 21:05.

Old 2007-04-03, 22:21
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diabolius
No effects

bullshit.

Old 2007-04-03, 22:45
Diabolius
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsicsix
bullshit.

@ Sixsicsix: Shall I take that as a compliment or as an offense?
So what you are saying is that anyone who uses the Akerfeldt-technique to growl (including Mikael Akerfeldt himself) uses effects?
I bet he could tell you something different.

Back to topic:
Tell me whether it sounds good or not, and I'll post some quotes from Akerfeldt where he explains how he does those growls without effects.
If you think the sample doesn't sound good, stay at your own technique.

Old 2007-04-03, 23:25
F1R3W0LF
New Blood

Quote:
bullshit.

I agree. Because human voices can't emit static like that. Way too many effects. (Unless you just re-recorded yourself over a few times making the most annoying noises possible.)

Old 2007-04-04, 00:03
crustcorestenchhead9
Metalhead

i dunno maybe he has a shitty mic. if your too loud in bad mics they make a bunch of static...

Old 2007-04-04, 04:09
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Quote:
@ Sixsicsix: Shall I take that as a compliment or as an offense?
So what you are saying is that anyone who uses the Akerfeldt-technique to growl (including Mikael Akerfeldt himself) uses effects?
I bet he could tell you something different.

Back to topic:
Tell me whether it sounds good or not, and I'll post some quotes from Akerfeldt where he explains how he does those growls without effects.
If you think the sample doesn't sound good, stay at your own technique.

I was referring to the static reverb thing... call it what you want, but its an effect.

Old 2007-04-04, 04:45
Pr0az
Post-whore

humm your screaming like the dude from LOG so i doubt your using a effects but damn wuts up with like that static shit up in the air around your voice? Cheap Mic? Fucked up sound room?

Old 2007-04-04, 05:09
Cassius
Senior Metalhead

There's no way you're not using effects and getting that static reverb. If you can truly make that noise naturally, then I will fly to where ever you live and blow you right fuckin' now.

Old 2007-04-04, 09:12
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

A or B or both. Take your pick.

A) Effects are in place such as distortion on the vocals, they have also EQ'd out the low frequencies and up the highs in the vocals.

B) He is using an extraordinarily SHIT MICROPHONE. [Although even then it would pick up the lower frequencies unless it's a phone receiver ]

So, I'm sorry, you're full of bullshit.

Last edited by Infinity : 2007-04-04 at 10:08.

Old 2007-04-04, 11:11
Diabolius
New Blood

I read through this and some threads in this forum and I came to the conclusion: I've never seen a forum with so much flaming, rudeness and anti-social behaviour before.

You guys really should get banned for insulting people and assuming things that you don't even have a frigging idea of.

I offered you to post a link to an interview where Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth) explains how to form your throat and mouth to get a distorted sound. But after this behaviour you can just go to hell.

Old 2007-04-04, 11:19
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

Actually man, I know HEAPS about production, and I'm sorry, your vocals are either under produced, you're using a fucken mobile phone to record the tracks, or you are eq'ing/distorting your voice. So pull your fucken head out of you arsepipe because you aint foolin anyone but yourself.

Old 2007-04-04, 11:50
Diabolius
New Blood

Go suck a muslim!

(Seems like insults are common speech in this forum)

Old 2007-04-04, 12:13
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

this forum wins and you lose.

Old 2007-04-04, 13:00
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
I read through this and some threads in this forum and I came to the conclusion: I've never seen a forum with so much flaming, rudeness and anti-social behaviour before.

You guys really should get banned for insulting people and assuming things that you don't even have a frigging idea of.

I offered you to post a link to an interview where Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth) explains how to form your throat and mouth to get a distorted sound. But after this behaviour you can just go to hell.

I know a forum that is worse than this.

Old 2007-04-04, 19:14
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRO
I know a forum that is worse than this.

*golf clap
Infinity smashed you diabolus. Chances are, most people know what they're talking about when it comes to production on this forum. And you're right, This is a pretty brutal forum, its based on FUCKING METAL. If you want a bunch of people to suck your cock and tell you mommy will always love you then you need to go to the anime fan forums.

Old 2007-04-05, 00:12
Diabolius
New Blood

Quote:
*golf clap
Infinity smashed you diabolus. Chances are, most people know what they're talking about when it comes to production on this forum. And you're right, This is a pretty brutal forum, its based on FUCKING METAL. If you want a bunch of people to suck your cock and tell you mommy will always love you then you need to go to the anime fan forums.

Fine, that even real-life-noobs like you admit, that this is a playground for increasing flaming-skills.
Actually I think it's quite fun, but no one can ever expect an objective response to a simple question here. It's like playing Counter Strike and having childish "Cheater"-screaming kiddies around.
So try to find some friends, and get your sorry asses out of your computer seats. Maybe one day, you can live without having to compensate your ego in certain forums.

Old 2007-04-05, 00:12
F1R3W0LF
New Blood

Quote:

The Opeth dude doesn't have static over his voice. Dumbass. (The song is kinda catchy, I will admit.)

Old 2007-04-05, 00:17
F1R3W0LF
New Blood

Ah, and I just checked your myspace...funny how you have to validate that you don't use effects with the heading
"No f*kin effects, hot water only!"
And you're asian. Silly asian, metal is for whites.

Last edited by F1R3W0LF : 2007-04-05 at 00:26.

Old 2007-04-05, 00:19
F1R3W0LF
New Blood

My apoligies for posting 3 times in a row...but I think you guys should check this out. http://www.myspace.com/aureliuslie Listen to some of the other songs, you can hear his real voice, and can tell that the effects are laid down ontop of it.

Old 2007-04-05, 10:06
Diabolius
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1R3W0LF
you can hear his real voice, and can tell that the effects are laid down ontop of it.

Hahaha, fool! Try to wash your ears.
And thanks, i forgot to post the link on the previous site (where I mentioned myspace)

Quote:
Ah, and I just checked your myspace...funny how you have to validate that you don't use effects with the heading
"No f*kin effects, hot water only!"
And you're asian. Silly asian, metal is for whites.

Nazi?

Ever checked out Necrophagist? Turkish growler. Or what about Arch Enemy? Female growler.
And you call yourself a metalhead. How ridiculous! SKINhead would fit better.

Last edited by Diabolius : 2007-04-05 at 10:21.

Old 2007-04-05, 13:14
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Quote:

Nazi?

Ever checked out Necrophagist? Turkish growler. Or what about Arch Enemy? Female growler.

you have no Idea what the fuck youre talking about.
I think this thread will last about another week. Youre a fucking liar, and you cant even admit to yourself that you ARE using effects. Good luck on the forum pussy.
.....I DO HAVE REAL FRIENDS!!! .....

Old 2007-04-05, 14:32
F1R3W0LF
New Blood

Quote:
Nazi?

There's one major difference between you and Necrophagist, he doesn't suck ass... (I don't even personally like Arch Enemy, so bringing that up to me means nothing.)

And dude, it's not even so much that you use effects that we're ripping on you for, it's the fact that you're lying and bullshitting us and trying to get us to believe that the human throat can emit static and other sounds that can come from effects. You're stupid. Go fuck yourself and get off this forum.

Old 2007-04-05, 16:16
problematic
Post-whore
Banned

Quote:
My apoligies for posting 3 times in a row...but I think you guys should check this out. http://www.myspace.com/aureliuslie Listen to some of the other songs, you can hear his real voice, and can tell that the effects are laid down ontop of it.

Even a retard could tell it's heavily filtered.

Your description " Death Metal / Death Metal / Black Metal " is thoroughly incorrect. No death metal whatsoever, despite you emphasizing it, and the only "black metal" I hear is the faggot-ass new breed CoF style "black metal", with your shit ass static placed on top. No wonder you don't have any band members.

Just watched the video. So your technique is cupping + insertion of microphone into mouth + general retardness? If it doesn't work in good bands, then it certainly won't work for you.

Old 2007-04-05, 17:07
Diabolius
New Blood

Do you even think before you write something?
I guess your mothers already committed suicide for putting idiots like you into the world.

Let me do the thinking for you: What you are saying is: Each growler that sound like Akerfeldt, Nasseri, Sevänen, Stainthorpe, etc. is using effects to create raspy throat sounds.

Is this a hiphop forum? Ever listened to some metal?

What do you think is the reason why I wrote "(Opeth-Style)" in the topic's name? I tell you (your fucked up brains can't think that far, anyway) It's because he stated in an interview that he uses a technique to growl which is fairly low in volume but extremely raspy. If you ever visited school before, you should know that for sounds like "whispering" you don't use your Adam's apple. It's the same like Akerfeldts technique.

Oh hell, why do I even try to talk to you like you were adults?
Let's get back to insulting! You fucked up pieces of shit!

Last edited by Diabolius : 2007-04-05 at 17:14.

Old 2007-04-05, 17:18
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

All of you shut the fuck up now.

You're using a really shitty microphone. That is all.

The very definition of growling is to distorte the normal speaking voice.

The only reason I'm not into it is because I like growling better than BM vocals.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2007-04-05, 18:17
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Quote:
Do you even think before you write something?
I guess your mothers already committed suicide for putting idiots like you into the world.

Let me do the thinking for you: What you are saying is: Each growler that sound like Akerfeldt, Nasseri, Sevänen, Stainthorpe, etc. is using effects to create raspy throat sounds.

Oh hell, why do I even try to talk to you like you were adults?
Let's get back to insulting! You fucked up pieces of shit!

dude, you sound NOTHING like Akerfeldt. You sound like you're eating the fucking mic.

Old 2007-04-05, 18:45
Diabolius
New Blood

Quote:
dude, you sound NOTHING like Akerfeldt. You sound like you're eating the fucking mic.

Your mother sounds like Akerfeldt.

Old 2007-04-05, 20:11
persekutor
Metalhead

He's right, there are no effects on the vocals. He's just using a shitty technique and a shitty mic (sounds like a lower-end dynamic mic to me) to record them. The only "effect" per se is distortion caused by the fact that's he's cupping the shit out of the mic, but that's probably the only way he can get that sound.

As for this:
Quote:

I think you just lost. Big time.
The yearning flames

Old 2007-04-05, 23:01
F1R3W0LF
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by problematic
Even a retard could tell it's heavily filtered.

Your description " Death Metal / Death Metal / Black Metal " is thoroughly incorrect. No death metal whatsoever, despite you emphasizing it, and the only "black metal" I hear is the faggot-ass new breed CoF style "black metal", with your shit ass static placed on top. No wonder you don't have any band members.

Just watched the video. So your technique is cupping + insertion of microphone into mouth + general retardness? If it doesn't work in good bands, then it certainly won't work for you.

I like you.

Old 2007-04-05, 23:02
F1R3W0LF
New Blood

Quote:

Thanks?

Old 2007-04-06, 03:43
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

yeah that would kick ass

Old 2007-04-07, 00:18
F1R3W0LF
New Blood

Quote:

Lullabies would kick ass.

Old 2007-04-30, 15:51
gorath23
Senior Metalhead

Regardless of anything else, It still sounds awesome, I for one couldn't come close and therefore he gets props from me even considering the static thing. I can't believe though that after years of visiting forums, people still argue over the internet.

Engl Fireball
MIJ '84 Greco LP Custom (looking for BKP Nailbomb)
Custom Stratocaster/BKP Sinner
Schecter Hellraiser Avenger
Framus 2x12
ISP Decimator
Line6 Echo Park
Applause AE128 E/A

www.myspace.com/cathisord - Dark Metal Project

Old 2007-05-14, 02:03
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
What do you think is the reason why I wrote "(Opeth-Style)" in the topic's name? I tell you (your fucked up brains can't think that far, anyway) It's because he stated in an interview that he uses a technique to growl which is fairly low in volume but extremely raspy.

You've obviously never seen the documentary on the Lamentations DVD. Nothing quiet about his growls, he belts em pretty good.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2007-06-06, 01:52
Foul_Body_Autopsy
New Blood

In my opinion, your vocals sound excellent and I can definitely hear the similarity to Opeth's vocals but you need to get that static out. It's not that you have too many effects on it, you should either get a better microphone or stop cupping it so much. When you cup the microphone it gives a much more distorted reverb sound then singing into it normally. If you were to watch Opeth play live he does not cup the microphone at all seeing as he is playing guitar and as far as i know he only has two arms. Otherwise, keep up the good work!

Old 2007-06-06, 13:48
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

I love the sound that cupping gives, expecially for lows, highs.. not so much.

Old 2007-06-07, 05:23
- EXILE -
Metalhead

Cupping fucks my mic up to much so I have to hold it like a foot away. But maybe thats cos I have an awesome $10 piece of crap..

Old 2007-06-07, 16:59
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by - EXILE -
Cupping fucks my mic up to much so I have to hold it like a foot away. But maybe thats cos I have an awesome $10 piece of crap..

sounds like my old mic.

Old 2007-06-10, 17:02
Robbie Filth
The Man Who Is, MGI.

Reminds me of Dimmu Borgir.

Old 2009-05-25, 17:51
PiXyStiX
New Blood

Talking

Wow, everyone is kind of an idiot. It sounds more like you're just using a crappy mic, like a computer mic, no effects though from what I can hear.

Also, I saw a post you said about Mikeal explaining how he does his technique, and I would love to see that, could you send me that link? I'm a girl, but I'm trying to become a better growler, lol.