Old 2007-02-19, 11:38
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

Incantation - Primordial Domination

Incantation - Primordial Domination
Listenable

file under Death metal

Menno: When this brand new Incantation record fell on my doorstep I just couldn't wait blasting it through my stereo. This 15-year-old combination under strict supervision of singer/axe man John McEntee always has been a certainty considering the most brutal division of metal. Let's start at the beginning; the record is accompanied with a nice cover sleeve. An awesome satanic and dark drawing as we like to see it from bands like Nile and Krisiun. As we all know, a good start is half the race and therefore I like the fact that some bands and record companies aren't afraid to invest in some decent artists.

Musically, the band implicates in a short promo talk to be far ahead of the majority of wannbee bands of today, but I'm afraid I don't really agree with the guys here. Incantation is one of the more conservative bands in the death metal genre. Lots of slow passages and simple riffs fail this record to be a technical highlight, but if you take this consideration with you in your listening experience you will find this rather undisturbing. The production is comfortably rough and unpolished, but besides that not bad at all. A nice thick guitar sound and crisply recorded vocals and drums make sure this album is a true benefit for the ears. 'Primordial Domination' is a perfectly unrushed album, it's virtually impossible to waste your money on this one. A personal highlight is the change between the songs 'The Stench Of Crucifixion' and 'Extirpated Dominus'. A slow and dying bass riff gets blast away by a truly magnificent Deicide-like opening riff.

With Primordial Domination, Incantation proves good conservative music isn't always a bad thing, but naturally this only goes for bands like Obituary, Pentacle, Morbid Angel and of course Incantation.

Rating: 79/100 (details)

http://www.incantation.com