Old 2007-02-19, 11:35
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

Deaden - Displaying the Art of Carnage

Deaden - Displaying the Art of Carnage
Epitomite Productions

file under Death metal

Menno: The well-respected underground band Deaden caught some attention in the nineties with the release of their awesome debut record 'Hymns of the Sick'. They slowly deserved some fame and played numerous times with bands like Incantation, Dying Fetus, Fleshgrind and Deicide. Suddenly it became quiet and we had to wait for over 6 years to get something new. I can tell you that the release of their second effort made this waiting worthwhile! 'Displaying the Art of Carnage' is a fairly produced, smashing death metal record which can be mentioned in the same sentence as the earlier mentioned locals.

It's really hard to give these guys some musical critique. Furious Cryptopsy-itching riffs combined with some Dying Fetus stomping, a grooving bass with a nice solo halfway through 'Open your Fears', almost natural measure changes, unpredictable drums and the best of all; an insane dual vocal approach (one sick grunt & one sick piggy squeal) make the songs a pleasure to the ear. I'm not complaining! The music combined the atmospheric, sick intros assure me of a rock hard woody. Some highlights are the earlier mentioned 'Open your Fears' and the destroying 'Blood came from Sodomy'. The intro to the album; 'The Abhorring' deserves a mention, awesome intro's like these don't come with every record!

I'm really trying to make this review a bit more extensive, but the music speaks for itself. You might think you've heard it all before a million times after the first spin, listen to it again a couple of times (preferably with headphones) and prepare to get blast away by some insane death/grind. It's a shame these guys haven't done much the past 6 years, I'm positive they could have reached far, for which it might be a bit too late now..

Squeeeeeeeel piggy piggy! Rating: 94/100 (details)

http://www.deaden.net