MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands

Old 2007-02-11, 23:53
Beowulf44
Metalhead

Neo-classical death metal

I know that alot of people here don't particular care for bands like Necrophagist, but I really dig em. Are there any other death metal bands that use that neo-classical guitar technique that people could recommend to me? I prefer death metal but I enjoy any kind, even 80s stuff like Racer X and Cacophany =P

Old 2007-02-12, 22:03
In_Flames
Metalhead

Early Children Of Bodom, perhaps.

Old 2007-02-12, 23:46
drawn&quartered
Too _____, wouldn't fuck

I always considered necrophagist more tech death

NEGROGENESIS

Old 2007-02-13, 00:00
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

neoclassical sucks

Old 2007-02-13, 00:23
7-string warlord
Post-whore

Therion?......maybe

Old 2007-02-13, 00:33
Requiem
Post-whore

Dark moor is neocalassic power metal

Old 2007-02-13, 01:05
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf44
I know that alot of people here don't particular care for bands like Necrophagist, but I really dig em. Are there any other death metal bands that use that neo-classical guitar technique that people could recommend to me? I prefer death metal but I enjoy any kind, even 80s stuff like Racer X and Cacophany =P

Have you heard Emperor's last two albums? They go beyond classically influenced scales. It's full of orchestral wizardry and classically styled songs. Absolutely brilliant work that never fails to frizzle my nut hairs.

Old 2007-04-13, 01:21
Vittu0666
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
neoclassical sucks

Wow...That's definitely odd. I take it you're not into technical bands?

So anyways, here's some really cool melodic bands:
Imperanon
Kalmah
Wintersun

Old 2007-04-13, 03:39
problematic
Post-whore
Banned

Spawn Of Possession.

Bryssling is reportedly classically trained and whatnot, I guess so.

Old 2007-04-13, 04:37
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

Could this be the most boring genre to grace metal? Tune in next time for the answer...

Old 2007-04-13, 09:20
ImBored
Supreme Metalhead

it can be very cliche.

Deadborn have their moments.

I cant really think of too many bands like this; I probably forgot most of them if I ever knew any at all.

edit; just listen to decent power metal bro

aka Rhapsody.

Old 2007-04-13, 14:21
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

If you enjoy the likes of Necrophagist, check out Decapitated!

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.

Old 2007-04-13, 15:24
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

Decapitated are really nothing like Necro.

Old 2007-04-13, 15:48
Inaphyt
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Could this be the most boring genre to grace metal? Tune in next time for the answer...

Let us hear your bands of choice so we can laugh at you, thank you!

Old 2007-04-13, 16:26
Soeru
Post-whore

Yeah Decapitated share little to nothing in common with Necro. Decapitated's first 2 full lengths are pretty friggin technical though, and Vogg does resort to harmonic minor stuff in his solos a lot.

+1 on Spawn of Possession. Fucking wacky technical shit with heavy classical influence at times, but they claim they don't really apply any classical theory to their music apparently.

Children of Bodom are not even remotely related to death metal.

Oh and if you want extremely neoclassical-influenced death metal, Arsis is the most accurate depiction of it. Technical death metal with 80's shred, thrash and black metal influence

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-04-13, 16:43
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inaphyt
Let us hear your bands of choice so we can laugh at you, thank you!

Why? Why do you want to laugh at my bands? Will it make you feel better? You have proven more than once you are a fucking idiot and noone on this forum likes you.

Old 2007-04-14, 05:17
Inaphyt
Senior Metalhead

Oh no people i don't know and will never meet don't like me isn't that a shame.

If you don't like "neo classical" or "tech" at least write something constructive

Imo Necrophagist are pretty good but despite every song being different, it does tend to get repetitive in terms of writing style.

Some bands like Necrophagist are Without passion, from a second story window and i dno maybe anomalous? Emphasis on the word "like" as no band has cloned necrophagist (yet)

Also infinity "neo classical" is nowhere near as boring as 99% of black metal bands 99% of death metal bands 99% of grind bands, that are all clones of each other and never try anything new, you should be thankful that some bands are actually experimenting and sticking out from the crowd and if you don't like it you can go back to your music that has countless clones and is nothing special.

Old 2007-04-14, 05:31
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

Quote:
Oh no people i don't know and will never meet don't like me isn't that a shame.

If you don't like "neo classical" or "tech" at least write something constructive

Imo Necrophagist are pretty good but despite every song being different, it does tend to get repetitive in terms of writing style.

Some bands like Necrophagist are Without passion, from a second story window and i dno maybe anomalous? Emphasis on the word "like" as no band has cloned necrophagist (yet)

Also infinity "neo classical" is nowhere near as boring as 99% of black metal bands 99% of death metal bands 99% of grind bands, that are all clones of each other and never try anything new, you should be thankful that some bands are actually experimenting and sticking out from the crowd and if you don't like it you can go back to your music that has countless clones and is nothing special.

*sigh* Why must idiots constantly confound me?

So you saying that idiots you will never meet not caring about you, does not affect you. Although, when the same idiots that you will never meet say that neoclassical is a boring, boxed in and limited genre, you take offense and come up with some a retarded statement like "Ok list your bands so we can laugh at them." You are one dumb cunt.

Oh, and yeah, I see how your logic works with neoclassical bands being sooo unique and NOT boring in sound! Yes, lets restrict ourselves by calling ourselves a neoclassical death metal band! Lets release albums of nothing but neoclassical death metal from start to finish! Thats so much more original than any death metal band could do. I mean, a death metal band can take any influence from any outide source, black, grind, jazz, doom, stoner, and they can do that all on the one album, but fuck that, that's old and boring! Lets do NEOCLASSICAL death metal every cd without evolution.

Yes you are 100%, every neoclassical death metal band that plays the same boring neoclassical shit is so much more interesting and unique than any other metal genre ever. You are an evil genius.

Old 2007-04-14, 05:43
CannibalXampire
Post-whore

You're all fucking faggots. This is why I listen to ska.

Old 2007-04-14, 06:42
Sycophant
Supreme Metalhead

Gorod, some Cryptopsy (parts of "Crown Of Horns", "Phobophile", "Serial Messiah").
Arsis, Byatis, Agiel, Wormed (I think.) Banisher (from Poland).
There's hundreds more that I can't think of now.

BTW Decapitated has some definite neo-classicisms thrown about, especially on their first album & masterpiece IMO "Winds Of Creation". Just listen to "Nine Steps", the solo is the most blatant example.

Last edited by Sycophant : 2007-04-14 at 07:33.

Old 2007-04-14, 10:35
Inaphyt
Senior Metalhead

Quote:

So you saying that idiots you will never meet not caring about you, does not affect you. Although, when the same idiots that you will never meet say that neoclassical is a boring, boxed in and limited genre, you take offense and come up with some a retarded statement like "Ok list your bands so we can laugh at them." You are one dumb cunt.

Oh, and yeah, I see how your logic works with neoclassical bands being sooo unique and NOT boring in sound! Yes, lets restrict ourselves by calling ourselves a neoclassical death metal band! Lets release albums of nothing but neoclassical death metal from start to finish! Thats so much more original than any death metal band could do. I mean, a death metal band can take any influence from any outide source, black, grind, jazz, doom, stoner, and they can do that all on the one album, but fuck that, that's old and boring! Lets do NEOCLASSICAL death metal every cd without evolution.

Yes you are 100%, every neoclassical death metal band that plays the same boring neoclassical shit is so much more interesting and unique than any other metal genre ever. You are an evil genius.

1) I do not take offence from a difference in musical tastes you can like what the fuck what you want and i would respect that.

2) Because i like tech metal that does not mean it's the only music i like, but it sure as hell is the only metal i like (apart from fusion bands).

3) Yes tech/Neo classical is a limited genre and that's an aspect of it i like, it's not oversaturated like the other genres hence the reason tech attracts fans looking for something even slightly different from the monotony and repitition of other genres.

4) Strangely i would agree with you that they are boring the songs sound the same but at the same time the band doesn't clone another band and brings something fresh (all tech or not) to the metal scene.

5) As i stated previously regardless of whether you like Necrophagist or not you should at least respect the bands trying something new or different from "the norm", if everyone was like you in this train of thought death metal wouldn't even exist. Thankfully there are some people that don't want to follow crowds and be the most "brutal" band out there but get somewhere doing something they enjoy and is different which appeals to fans (which necro have many).

6) No i'm not a dumb cunt, nor do i like getting overtly serious about a genre i have a passion for over an internet forum.

I await your reply which will be full of hatred and anger. (because your so very "metal")

Old 2007-04-14, 10:38
Inaphyt
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannibalXampire
You're all fucking faggots. This is why I listen to ska.

Damn you, getting my ska gremlins loopy.

*inserts catch 22*

Old 2007-04-14, 16:43
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

Quote:
1) I do not take offence from a difference in musical tastes you can like what the fuck what you want and i would respect that.

That's bullshit. After I pay out neoclassical you directly ask me to list bands I like so you can bag them. You're a hypocrite.

Quote:
2) Because i like tech metal that does not mean it's the only music i like, but it sure as hell is the only metal i like (apart from fusion bands).

And?

Quote:
3) [b]Yes tech/Neo classical is a limited genre and that's an aspect of it i like,[b] it's not oversaturated like the other genres hence the reason tech attracts fans looking for something even slightly different from the monotony and repitition of other genres.

That sentence conflicts with itself turning into an oxymoron. You are a moron. Have you taken a course on how not to make sense?

Quote:
4) Strangely i would agree with you that they are boring the songs sound the same but at the same time the band doesn't clone another band and brings something fresh (all tech or not) to the metal scene.

What... the fuck. So far YOU have established that neoclassical is:

Boring
Songs all sound the same
It is a limited genre [but that's an aspect you like? What?]

But in spite of this, the bands are all doing something completely different to each other. How does this work. You aren't making sense again! Start making sense you fuckhead.

Quote:
5) As i stated previously regardless of whether you like Necrophagist or not you should at least respect the bands trying something new or different from "the norm", if everyone was like you in this train of thought death metal wouldn't even exist. Thankfully there are some people that don't want to follow crowds and be the most "brutal" band out there but get somewhere doing something they enjoy and is different which appeals to fans (which necro have many).

Looking back over my responses to you previous 'points' I think that this one pretty much sums it up.

Quote:
6) No i'm not a dumb cunt, nor do i like getting overtly serious about a genre i have a passion for over an internet forum.

Yes, you are a dumb cunt, and if you don't get passionate about shit on an internet forum you wouldn't have just posted this rant I've dissected.

Quote:
I await your reply which will be full of hatred and anger. (because your so very "metal")

Hahaha, if you knew the first thing about me, you'd realise I'm the least metal on this board. But you are a fucking stupid ignorant asstoad who looks at one side of an argument and not the other. You continue to contradict yourself often more than once in the same post. You make no sense, you have no angle. How do you type?

Old 2007-04-14, 18:09
Inaphyt
Senior Metalhead

Heh some people will never learn, if you don't like something don't listen to it forget you ever heard of the band.

Instead people like you go all out to blatantly cause a huge "internet row" to make yourself feel better by using your words like "oxymoron" (congrats by the way even i wouldn't go that far) to try to confound and humiliate your "opponent".

If your smart you would realise that this

Is almost asking for someone like moi to pick you up on it, but that's exactly what you wanted in the first place because you have no life and this is what you like to do out of boredom.

Instead of being a complete moron and wasting your life starting shit on the internet why don't you be a proof reader? or a novelist as i'm sure you would do a very good job at it as you are good with your words (minus a few obscenities).

Old 2007-04-14, 19:07
CannibalXampire
Post-whore

You're a fag!

Old 2007-04-14, 19:15
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Neo-classical death is oversaturated. It's derivative and boring. Everything you say that makes it sound different from the repetitive, unoriginal, oversaturated other genres is equally true of technical death. You like it, so you think that it's different, but it's the same shit. So sit down and admit that you like some crap as a personal choice like everybody else, and let's keep these drawn out arguments to a minimum (unless you actually have something to say).

Old 2007-04-15, 02:13
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

Quote:
Heh some people will never learn, if you don't like something don't listen to it forget you ever heard of the band.

Instead people like you go all out to blatantly cause a huge "internet row" to make yourself feel better by using your words like "oxymoron" (congrats by the way even i wouldn't go that far) to try to confound and humiliate your "opponent".

If your smart you would realise that this

Is almost asking for someone like moi to pick you up on it, but that's exactly what you wanted in the first place because you have no life and this is what you like to do out of boredom.

Instead of being a complete moron and wasting your life starting shit on the internet why don't you be a proof reader? or a novelist as i'm sure you would do a very good job at it as you are good with your words (minus a few obscenities).

Once again I have proven your stupidity. Enjoy your stay.

Old 2007-04-15, 14:26
problematic
Post-whore
Banned

Quote:

That was both fucking hilarious and true.

Fucking hell Inaphyt, you piss me off enough on the fucking SMNnews board with your constant Deathcore dick sucking and bias, and now you're fucking here, to unleash your stupidity into young minds. For fucks sake, I'm glad Inifinity dissected your post quite locically, hopefully you will be able to learn from your mistakes and general dumb cuntia.

Old 2007-04-15, 15:33
Inaphyt
Senior Metalhead

Oh cool another smn forumer huh feel free to come back at any time to get schooled on technical metal.

Old 2007-04-15, 16:39
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

Lol yes, you schooling someone else, keep dreaming.

Old 2007-04-15, 17:36
CannibalXampire
Post-whore

Quote:
Oh cool another smn forumer huh feel free to come back at any time to get schooled on technical metal.

I will always be better than you and I will always listen to better music than you.

Old 2007-04-15, 17:56
Soeru
Post-whore

All of you need to remove the corks from your anuses and listen to some goddamn Arsis.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2007-04-15, 18:04
CannibalXampire
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
All of you need to remove the corks from your anuses and listen to some goddamn Arsis.

I would but I don't listen to shitty music.

Old 2007-04-15, 20:58
Inaphyt
Senior Metalhead

Cannibal i want to listen to some good music what shall i buy?

Old 2007-04-15, 20:59
Soeru
Post-whore

Quote:
I would but I don't listen to shitty music.

You have either never listened to them or have horrendous taste in metal.

Old 2007-04-15, 23:33
CannibalXampire
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
You have either never listened to them or have horrendous taste in metal.

I have listened to them. And they 110% suck my balls.

Old 2007-04-16, 00:05
Sycophant
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
I have listened to them. And they 110% suck my balls.

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they all reek.

Old 2007-04-16, 00:49
problematic
Post-whore
Banned

Quote:

Your idea of technical metal is 'if it's hard to play, or it sounds crazy, it's technical metal'. Unfortunantly that's not how it is. No? Well, feel free to educate me on how BTM actually are technical death metal, when they're not.

Old 2007-04-16, 02:59
estringrev
Supreme Metalhead

Why is Necrophagist listed in here as a neoclassical band? They are not a neoclassical band, and they don't even list themselves as a tech metal band. In fact unless a band specifically says they are a neoclassical band, then they shouldn't be classified as such anyway, especially just because of melodic, shredding.

Imperanon and Wintersun are the only band I know in this thread that sound neoclassical consistently, but like I said, unless they list themselves as such, they are not. They are metal, very melodic metal.

And the same for Tech metal, unless a band is stupid enough to apply that to themselves, then you're just assuming because the music is hard for you to play, that it's a band that purposely makes their music mind boggling technical.

This was not directed to any one person, just to the people that are arguing over something stupid and misleading.

Old 2007-04-16, 10:38
Inaphyt
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by problematic
Your idea of technical metal is 'if it's hard to play, or it sounds crazy, it's technical metal'. Unfortunantly that's not how it is. No? Well, feel free to educate me on how BTM actually are technical death metal, when they're not.

The technical label is a broken genre anyway, Messhuggah is labelled as tech and i find this ridiculous, when you say to someone wow man check this technical shit i can play you don't do some slow palm mute riffs you go fucking crazy and shred.

Beneath the massacre have sweeping, insanely fast tapping and Solo's over the top of technical riffs and severe fret dancing what the fuck more do you want.

Now Nile is labelled as tech, they don't use fucked up time signatures either so why do they deserve the label? because they have egyptian influences or because they play fast or the fact that they don't use the same riffs much?

It's about having the tech "sound" that you could not understand until you really listen to alot of tech.

Old 2007-04-16, 11:20
Soeru
Post-whore

"neoclassical death metal" is a load of bullshit and is not a real genre. There is death metal with a lot of classical influence in the guitars playing but I refuse to acknowledge neoclassical death metal as genuine genre.

Technical = Psycroptic, Anata, Spawn of Possession, Arsis, etc.
Neoclassical = Malmsteen, Jason Becker perhaps, etc.

Old 2007-04-16, 11:44
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

Yeah, who really cares?