MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2007-02-11, 20:22
Spengler
New Blood

Warming up

Do any of you have any good warm up routines or any hints or tips or anything. I've finally admitted to myself that I do need to warm up before getting up and bellowing my guts out as my throat is paying the price. But I don't want to feel like a total twat doing it.

So yeah, who does what to warm up, how long do you do it for, do you do it just before singing or do you have any sort of regular routine you keep up between gigs/practices?

Old 2007-02-13, 05:46
F1R3W0LF
New Blood

I don't really do much warming up right before I start screaming. Pretty much all I do, is hum all day. It seems to help get your vocal cords warmed up a bit.

Old 2007-02-15, 03:22
DBSE
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spengler
But I don't want to feel like a total twat doing it.

If your not willing to sacrifice your ego then you'll never be a great performer man.

Old 2007-02-19, 12:00
Spengler
New Blood

I don't really think ego comes into it that much. It's something I'm willing to do regardless of whether it makes me makes me feel like a twat or not, but if I can do it without feeling like a twat that's the preferable option.

I started this thread mainly because I was curious as to what routines people had for warming up. What they do and where they do it? If people confidently strut around backstage singing "me-me-me-me" or if they sit in their cars outside where nobody can hear them and growl for a bit.

Old 2007-02-20, 13:12
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

Just clean sing and drink warm water or milk.

I clean sing for hours to softer stuff then when im about to start I sing Slayer.

Old 2007-02-20, 13:21
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

oh god

dont fucken drink anything, if you must, room temperature water.

Old 2007-02-21, 18:52
ZRO
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
oh god

dont fucken drink anything, if you must, room temperature water.

Uh why?

I drink warm water and I do pretty good. My throat doesn't hurt or anything.

Old 2007-02-21, 19:22
Requiem
Post-whore

Smoking a blunt is the best warm up

Old 2007-02-21, 23:24
crustcorestenchhead9
Metalhead

yeah ill clean sing also before screaming and growling. it mostly helps the screaming though.

Old 2007-04-16, 14:37
ibliso
New Blood

Yo m8's!
(sry the english, I'm for norway) Ther's no perticular varm upp trick's in growling. eeeh...
Something to drink kan be wery nice, but whater is the only good liqid for a singer. If you get sawr while doing growl, you have to make your tekniqe bether i think, Cu's I dont get sawr.

Growling is all about "gurgeling" in your troath, you form the "gurgel" to a scream. It take som practise. but it's not that hard when you gett it.

Ibliso. Vocals of the band Enter Failing. Parkway Drive (L) \m/

Old 2007-04-17, 20:11
Party Time 2000
Senior Metalhead

I get some warm water (I like it on the hotter side) and drink sips and swallow it down good before I start.
I then like to do vocal scales. Warm up with some consonants and then some vowels. Play with a metronome and do each letter with for like 4 counts around 70bpm. I go as low as D (I can’t get any lower!) and then go up half steps on my guitar for about 1.5 octaves up. I don’t want to go any higher than that. Too much strain for me and I want to stay on the low end. Do the letters “l,m,n,r,v,f,a,e,i,o,u. for about 15 minutes.
Then start singing some of the songs with a natural voice for some warming up.
I usually sing a couple of normal songs than I go to growls.
My first couple of growl songs are not pushed too hard.
Don’t forget to be drinking your water inbetween of all this.

After this (about ½ hour) I’m ready to go to town. It’ll talk awhile till you get better at it. take it easy and don’t rush things. It’ll come around.

but we don't use the
fish to feed the pussy.

http://www.myspace.com/lordpartytime2000

Old 2007-04-19, 23:25
Shub-Niggurath6666
New Blood

Well, it's complicated for me because when ever I wake up I have alot of phelm in my throat. I start off with a cup of herbal tea, then I do pigsqueels ( though i'm not a fan of them or grindcore except for carcass , I'm able to do black metal vocals so I sing a couple of mayhem songs, then I usually growl I cum blood or an immolation song. That's it for me, being able to do black metal vocals also helps my screams.

Old 2007-04-20, 03:51
SuspendedByTheThroat
Senior Metalhead

in Melissa Cross's DVD "the zen of screaming" she gives quite a few warm ups that actualy do help somewhat, I dont usualy use them though because they take a while, where as I generally can just hummm and zzz a little bit, clear my throat give a good low, high, low high and then go on with it.

Old 2007-04-30, 23:30
McCalister999
Senior Metalhead

don't drink a whole lot right before performing because it washes the protective mucus layer off of your vocal folds and they dry out.
other than that, just like run through scales and shit.