MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands
User Name
Password

Old 2007-02-14, 05:13
Supreme Metalhead

I guess the only problem with such lists is that they are subjective and people will invariably have their own opinion and cry and stomp when Cannibal Corpse aren't mentioned or something(Have you noticed it's usually Cannibal Corpse fans!?). I have to agree it is a pretty tight list, I have no complaints with the top 10. But then Terrorizer isn't what I would call a really popular/metal magazine as it caters for the brutal end of the spectrum and it does try to cover the many strains of extreme music. Just recently they've been doing retrospectives on death metal and grind which made me very happy indeed

And yes Sabbath should be on top, this dirty loud detuned cacophony started with them
Old 2007-02-14, 14:07
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via Yahoo to belphegor79
Well only idiots whine and cry over such things. I definitely think Cannibal Corpse is the most influential DM band ever, but then again someone else might say Morbid Angel and not necessarily be wrong.
Old 2007-02-14, 16:53
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Cannibal Corpse is more influential but less innovative than Death or Morbid Angel (or a bunch of other bands, for that matter). Since the list of 'best bands' has to try to find some balance between (among many other elements) influential, which is important for accidental reasons, and innovative, which is important for real reasons, there's no reason CC should be higher than Death or MA.

Bad Brains shouldn't be on there because they never played metal, and it's not a list of the bands whose existence most influenced the state of metal as it now stands. They are a pretty excellent band, though.
Old 2007-02-14, 17:43
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
Bad Brains shouldn't be on there because they never played metal, and it's not a list of the bands whose existence most influenced the state of metal as it now stands. They are a pretty excellent band, though.

I'd hazard that when John posts the rest of the list Bad Brains will be in there.
Old 2007-02-14, 19:21
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to HAMMERSMASHEDFACE Send a message via MSN to HAMMERSMASHEDFACE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOAMdude
you know i think kreator is a pretty influential band, because on pleasure to kill, there were veery very strong glimpses into the future of death metal, they didn't rreally stay the course but still

I AGREE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
He's calling you a faggot piece of shit because you are young and unintelligent, and most of all, you are a boring, stereotyopical, close minded metal head. Please don't pretend to understand anything PST says. Please leave the forum now.
Old 2007-02-14, 20:22
Supreme Metalhead

Send a message via Yahoo to belphegor79
Quote:
Cannibal Corpse is more influential but less innovative than Death or Morbid Angel (or a bunch of other bands, for that matter). Since the list of 'best bands' has to try to find some balance between (among many other elements) influential, which is important for accidental reasons, and innovative, which is important for real reasons, there's no reason CC should be higher than Death or MA.

Given the fact that they pretty well started the whole gore type death metal I'd say Cannibal Corpse are every bit as innovative as Death or MA, but that's just my opinion. I do get what you're saying. Those bands rule and totally created a style of music. They definitely did a better job of bridging traditional music with metal.
Old 2007-02-14, 20:23
Life is pain.
Banned

ID SAY REPULSION STARTED GORE...
Old 2007-02-14, 20:38
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Send a message via AIM to Chris Rezendes
Quote:

Cannibal Corpse were never anywhere near as innovative as Death or Morbid Angel (or a host of other metal bands), and it's important to note that I am a massive CC fan and have been for much longer than I've been a fan of Death or Morbid Angel. I think Cannibal Corpse (or, more accurately Alex Webster) are excellent songwriters and tight fucking musicians, but Morbid Angel (or Trey) are also excellent songwriters, tight musicians, and much more experimental, multi-faceted, and not afraid to overstep the boundaries of what is considered metal to accomplish what they are trying to. The same can be (or could have been) said for Death in many regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belphegor79
Given the fact that they pretty well started the whole gore type death metal I'd say Cannibal Corpse are every bit as innovative as Death or MA, but that's just my opinion.

CC didn't start (or innovate) gore in metal or even in death metal. A whole host of bands were delving into that before CC even existed.
Old 2007-02-14, 20:40
Life is pain.
Banned

SUCH AS CARCASS OR REPULSION
Old 2007-02-14, 20:58
Post-whore

sometimes CC is great
but... i dunno sometimes there just isn't anything specail about them.
y'know like every band has trademarks, and CC is just kind of a sponge.
Very good possibility im absolotely wrong though
Old 2007-02-15, 00:16
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

I wouldn't be hugely surprised if Bad Brains were on there, but, for the reason I stated, I expect that they won't be. It would take a very long time to list all the non-metal bands who innovated various things associated primarily with metal and leave many actual metal bands off the list. But I wouldn't be surprised if their arbitrary decisions were not the same as mine.
Old 2007-02-15, 00:51
Post-whore

i shouldnt even have mentioned them because i was thinking purely upon thier influence on metal drumming, not "the best metal band"

bad brains later stuff was metal-infused, funny enough. almost like alot of the mid tempo "bro" hardcore of the early 90s

very,very wierd and not even remotely influencial. one of my favorite albums is "with the quickness' which madonna produced, believe it or not.

metal-infused hardcore with lyrics about lost tribes of isreal and rastafarism, its one of the most bizzare albums ever created....ever.

guys like Captain Beefheart, Sun Ra and Screamin Jay Hawkins made wierd albums for thier time, for thier respective music genre and scene, bands like Boredoms, Throbbing Gristle and Butthole Surfers made totally mind bending records for thier time and so forth.

with the quickness is one of those albums but noone noticed, it just faded........ended up in the 3 dollar bin.

but it would be totally obnoxious to assert that bad brains are the best metal band.
Old 2007-02-15, 00:58
Life is pain.
Banned

SOULCRAFT!
Old 2007-02-15, 01:18
Post-whore

Is the list acctually top METAL bands or simply Top Bands. I say this because Terrorizer doesn't just do metal all the time (however it is about 90%). I have an old issue with the Dead Kennedys in it, when they did some shows with out Jello.

If this is the case Bad Brains deserve to be in at least the top 25.

http://www.myspace.com/jimmysband

http://www.myspace.com/pyrrhicthanatologymonger

Mr. Budd on Relapse explaining LDOH's IAHC Mcd: "It sounds like an inside-out gorilla eating 50 babies a minute."
Old 2007-02-15, 01:34
Post-whore

another thing about "with the quickness"

it was released in 1986, 20 year old metalcore sounding rastafarian music, no bullshit.

fucking amazing
Old 2007-02-15, 02:04
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

I'd expect to have seen a non-metal band already. I also doubt that Sabbath, Maiden, and Slayer would be the top three of a list that wasn't restricted to metal.

I'm gonna go check out With a Quickness.
Old 2007-02-15, 02:11
Life is pain.
Banned

i thought the album was just called 'quickness' or 'the quickness'

Last edited by Infinity : 2007-02-15 at 02:17.
Old 2007-02-15, 02:15
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Just checked, and Infinity is definitely correct.
Old 2007-02-15, 02:17
Post-whore

definitely preview it before a purchase, of course.

it doesnt sound like much nowadays, but remember its extremely dated.

i think it was actually released in 88, but still its fucking old and this was before any religious hardcore bands, before hardcore bands were turning on to metal with maybe a few exceptions, hardcore bands with shred solos that rival metal bands.

edit: yeah, i got the title wrong.

there is a song that the lyric is "with...the...quickness!"
Old 2007-02-15, 04:13
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Send a message via MSN to johnmansley
Ok, the next twenty:

21. Mercyful Fate
22. Dead Kennedys
23. Kreator
24. Burzum
25. Autopsy
26. Darkthrone
27. Entombed
28. Candlemass
29. Black Flag
30. Mayhem
31. Sepultura
32. AC DC
33. Faith No More
34. Cathedral
35. Kyuss
36. Swans
37. Terrorizer
38. Misfits
39. Melvins
40. Brutal Truth

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode!

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn