MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone

Old 2001-10-12, 06:47
HeadlessKitty
New Blood

Arrow Three Fingered Picking (Alex Webster Style)

Over the past month I've been teaching myself to pick with three fingers. And might I say that damn, it's pretty hard. Even frustrating at times, but thats how you progress in your technique. I've also been slowly but surely getting better at tapping. I have a four-string bc rich warlock, but for some reason it seems easier to tap on a five-string innovator. I've also noticed that it is a little easier to tap with lower action, which is common sense, but I never thought of it before.

If anyone has any feedback on three-fingered picking or tapping The Great HeadlessKitty grants you permision to speak your piece.

Old 2001-10-13, 17:33
Katham
I dont believe in gravity
Alumni Staff

Three fingered picking makes the strings tear often...

If you've got a 6-string giutar, first you'd rather practice on that. It can help a lot...

Atifman wrote: 'Katham is from Hungary, hö?'

Godflesh is good.

Old 2001-10-13, 17:47
Father Death
Forum Reverend
Forum Leader

Arrow

webster style eh...fuck he's got all fingers going

Old 2002-04-18, 02:53
Henry Wolfe
New Blood

Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing as father death. Webster usses his pinky too.
But to learn how to use three fingers, start slow. Just turn your TV on and practice going (this is how I do it, others do it in reverse) ring, middle, first on the open E. Don't rush, just watch TV and keep it up to influence muscle memorization.
After you get that done preetty good, practice harder things, like going open G, open A, open E with three fingers. Then just start learning songs over again this time ussing your three fingers.

Old 2002-04-18, 18:40
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

I got all fingers except my pinky going, getting your pinky going along is difficult as shit and I don't know why but when I try I just don't use it alot.. it's to weak or something

just practise a lot, don't mind mistakes to much, if you want to practise using 4 or 3 fingers taping your fingers in is also a solution to practise good.
just tape in your 2 fingers on the right side of your hand and the 2 fingers on the left side of you hand (the thumb is not counting in this matter...)

it sounds strange but this is also a way I practise sometimes, it's pretty darned difficult though.

Old 2002-04-19, 02:24
Henry Wolfe
New Blood

Check out www.angryamputees.com there bass player has no fingers, or legs. It's a punk band, but I thought you all would be interested.
I know the drummer's brother. They're local, so I hear about 'em all the time.

Old 2002-04-19, 05:27
The Crying Orc

Haha,funny.

Punk is silly.....

Old 2002-04-19, 06:08
Henry Wolfe
New Blood

Quote:
Originally posted by The Crying Orc
Haha,funny.

Punk is silly.....

that's sort of how I think of it. Some bands have a "heavy" image, but they're music is just ah... oh yeah silly that was it.
I have a cousin in a punk band, he's into Black Flag and stuff which is better than all that other punk junk. He really likes Slayer too. And the vocalist in my band has a cousin in New Found Glory (which is like the biggest punk band in the world).

Old 2002-04-19, 06:20
The Crying Orc

Oh......ok.

Old 2002-04-19, 17:28
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

dude, punk is like all the same "wooooooohhhh" lyrical bullshit, some oldskool punkers stand for anarchy but in the same time they are fucking sellouts.
there aren't that many "true" punkbands if you ask me.

it's all about money and immitating.

NFG, is that the biggest punk band in the world?
I guess the most famous is Nofx or Lagwagon or for christ sakes maybe even Bink 182 hahahah

Old 2002-08-18, 11:40
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

thats some freaky shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal=life
Hey don't talk back buddy. Give your dick size or don't post.

Old 2002-08-21, 14:29
mrweijia
Post-whore

take some lessons in classical guitar and learn to do tremolo. its like trmeolo picking but with your fingers. porbably helps alot.

Old 2002-09-27, 00:41
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

I found this 4 finger picking very interesting, so I decided to give it a try. I can pick pretty quickly on the same string, but I don't know if I'm doing it right. I can pick going from index to pinky, and I can pick going from pinky to index, but I don't know which one to do. And do you always follow that order? Like it gets complicated when you have to change string every note in some songs. I just lose track, and without realising it I go back to my habbit of using two fingers.

Oh and how does it make the strings tear? Am I doing it completely wrong? I don't see why it would make them tear any more than using two finger would. As for picking, I don't have the patience to do that, I just use fingers, I'm all disoriented using a pick, I really suck at it.

Np Carcass - Heartwork

Old 2002-09-27, 17:59
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Its not what is the 'right' way to do it, it is what is the most easy and comfortable for you, simply mine is Index to pinky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal=life
Hey don't talk back buddy. Give your dick size or don't post.

Old 2004-07-11, 23:14
westsiderrider
New Blood

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Wolfe
Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing as father death. Webster usses his pinky too.
But to learn how to use three fingers, start slow. Just turn your TV on and practice going (this is how I do it, others do it in reverse) ring, middle, first on the open E. Don't rush, just watch TV and keep it up to influence muscle memorization.
After you get that done preetty good, practice harder things, like going open G, open A, open E with three fingers. Then just start learning songs over again this time ussing your three fingers.

Sorry dude but webster DOSNT use all four fingers. He has said so himself. look at the cannibal corpse website and he says he has NEVER used four fingers.

Old 2004-07-12, 11:57
Sodomaniac
Supreme Metalhead

why don't you post the link ???

Old 2004-07-14, 06:15
Disincarnate
But why is the rum gone ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Death
webster style eh...fuck he's got all fingers going

yeah.....three finger style is DiGiorgio style--->he is GOD

Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely

Quote:
Guitarists are just people who could Never make it as a Bassist

www.riversofgore.com

Join The Forum CUNT

Old 2004-07-14, 06:17
Disincarnate

i use three finger technique myself......... i mute the string with my pinky......but if start slapping then i use my thumb to mute the string above and use the three fingers for slapping

Quote:

www.riversofgore.com

Join The Forum CUNT

Old 2004-07-14, 18:11
blindhitman666
New Blood

are you guys talking about fingerstyle guitar? or what...like trem. i used to play some fingerstyle guitar some old spanish guitaring can calm any beast. ahhhhhhhh...

Old 2004-07-14, 18:55
Unadorned
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodomaniac
why don't you post the link ???

http://www.cannibalcorpse.org/faq.html

Scroll down a bit.

Old 2004-07-24, 03:53
XxpsyopusxX
New Blood

Thumbs up

thanx henry wolfe for the whole muscle memorization thingy.....its really been helping

Old 2004-07-24, 16:48
Disincarnate

i have started to use that for triplets....it gives more of a galoping sound than i one i used to do earlier

Quote:

www.riversofgore.com

Join The Forum CUNT

Old 2004-08-06, 06:44
Brutalnudele
New Blood

Webster does not use his pinky, he moves it while he plays the other three because it's hard to just let it sit there. He talks about it on their site on the Faq section.

Old 2005-04-10, 03:02
Subsonic6string
Senior Metalhead

a common misconception...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Wolfe

Actually, Webster only uses 3 fingers, but he "backpicks" with his index finger, making it seem like 4 fingers. He explains this on their site, in the Questions section.

Old 2005-05-14, 17:57
IlikeRiffseveryone
Supreme Metalhead

The pinky is a bitch to get strong, I find If you Hammer on with it, And fret the note with your ring finger and get to the point to where you can trill with it, then maybe You're ready to Put the Pinky in, I still can't. But it's definitely Worth Doing if you want some muscle In a floppy, useless pinky.

Oh, to clear this up, you have to play Left handed to do this excersise for the picking arm. It may sound stupid, But this actually Built some muscle into my Picking pinky finger.

Sorry if my explanation's shit.

Last edited by IlikeRiffseveryone : 2005-05-14 at 18:04.

Old 2005-12-24, 02:59
blitz906
Okay.

Talking Corpse in studio

Heres for all you Alex Webster fans out there, or Cannibal Corpse fans in general. CC recording "Frantic Disembowelment" in the studio, check out websters technique.....in-fucking-sane! It's a 15 MB download so it might take awhile if you arent using high-speed.

Download it here : http://www.savefile.com/files/3436381

Cheers

(by the way, it's an AVI file...so you might need DIVX to play it, I'm not sure)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one