MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > MetalTabs.com > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 2007-03-02, 14:42
Die Young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgrafcorex
hell yea! was doing some feeding last night and noticed my Theraphosa blondi has a very dark abdomen.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c...e/IMG_9242s.jpg

That's one big, black ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.
Old 2007-03-03, 07:50
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

Send a message via Yahoo to The Doctor
haha, hot chubba ebony bitch!

so how have the jumping nimphs been coming around, graf?
Old 2007-03-03, 19:45
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to xgrafcorex Send a message via Yahoo to xgrafcorex
so so...had some losses which was expected with so many tiny ass spiders.. i am not sure but i think some might've been able to slip out of their cups. i can see traces of substrate all the way through where the lids clamp down on those cups. the second egg sac has been hatched..but the babies just started dispersing this morning.

the blondi hasn't molted yet..but i'm hoping it will tomorrow..otherwise i'll probably be at work.
Old 2007-03-08, 15:00
Post-whore

figures..that bastard sat around all weekend doing nothing. now that i'm back at work, it has decided to get down to business. it was on its back and not moving when i went home for lunch..so i'm hoping i still have a chance to catch it molting. if i do, i'll be sure to take a lot of pictures and post some sort of sequence here. if i don't make it..i guess i'll just post a pic or two of how it looks post molt. heres a pic i took while eating lunch today.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c...e/IMG_9769s.jpg

in other news...i came across a cheap mature male Psalmopoeus irminia ("venzuelan suntiger" aka jet black with some orange highlights) so i bought him to pair with my adult female, and another smaller tarantula since i was paying shipping anyway, might as well get another one haha. the other spider i ordered is a (gonna have to look up this spelling..) Tapinauchenius purpureus (don't know a common name) http://www.birdspiders.com/archive/...0EE86780DE.html
Old 2007-03-08, 19:15
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

looks pretty hostile!

my spiders are doin good, the regalis isnt too active, just when eating and the vagans got sick n tired of the light and covered up half the glas with a big slope, looks pretty rad and it was cool to see it work really hard for two days
Old 2007-03-08, 21:30
Post-whore

glad to hear they are doing alright. a happy spider is one that isn't very active heh. thats funny about your vagans. Brachypelma are often some serious bulldozers. my vagans just likes to mess around with his water dish...flipping it over, filling it with dirt, or burying it completely.

well i missed the molt..but i took some pictures.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c...e/IMG_9775s.jpg
this is what i came home to see

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c...e/IMG_9777s.jpg
a piece of the last exoskeleton was stuck to the abdomen...luckily it wasn't on there very good and came right off.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c...MG_9815crop.jpg
crop of its abdomen, you can see some urticating bristles because of the flash. it only kicked up a small cloud of them when i removed the piece of exoskeleton from its abdomen.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c...e/IMG_9824s.jpg
stretching out a bit

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c...e/IMG_9848s.jpg
it rolled up a ball of substrate and was rubbing its fangs against it and carrying it around a little.

they sure look a lot different after a molt than their usual brown.
Old 2007-03-09, 06:12
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

that last pic ownes!

i was going by the reptile-store and the guy showed me a couple of juvenile snakes they just recieved; they werent too expensive and i would really want a snake, but ofcourse it will grow large so im thinking of trading my regalis+tank for the snake (them red ones) + adult tank. would this seem reasonable?
Old 2007-03-09, 10:34
Post-whore

do you know what kind of snake it is? theres a few red ones. and also how big they are. if its a corn snake, especially the regular color form, i would think the adult female regalis and tank would be. at the same time, you paid less for the spider than i would've, so the prices for snakes could be different there too. if the snake is a juvenile or adult i would say its a fair trade..an adult snake might even make the snake and tank more valuable.

the redish corn snake i bought was $50, the black/grey/white corn was only $20, and the black and white striped king snake was $40 but was larger than both the other snakes. none came with a tank or anything. they were all at most a year old i think. the smallest one was maybe 18" or something around there.

my snakes are all more active than my spiders. the king snake i have is somewhat secretive, but i still see it everyday except when its shedding or just after a meal. just like spiders though, they are each individuals with different attitutudes/behavior. but in general they are more active. chris could help you out a lot more with the reptiles than i could. i've only had the 3 snakes i have for a year at most.

Last edited by xgrafcorex : 2007-03-09 at 10:40.
Old 2007-03-09, 16:49
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

the snakes are pretty tiny, still living in a take-awaymeal-box. Just out of curiousity, an adult female regalis would be worth about $80 right?
Old 2007-03-09, 17:48
Post-whore

well i just found three places i could buy a female regalis. one has a 5" female for $125 and is a reputable and well established arachnid dealer. the second i found has 3" females for $64 and isn't quite as reputable or popular/established. the last has females for $135 and is one of the larger dealers in the country just like the first one. he didn't mention the size..just said adult so 5 or 6". that was supposed to be a "clearance sale" price though.

averages out to $108, but generally the prices for inverts are a bit less over there in europe, so their "value" probably doesn't translate literally. that is because the invert keeping hobby is larger over there or has been around longer, or both. the only thing we get better prices on are native species..unless they are already being captively bred in europe.
Old 2007-03-09, 19:05
The Mountie From Hell

Send a message via MSN to FearFrost
i was thinking of getting a bearded dragon (maybe 2) soon.

Im wondering what they are like... good for a first go with reptiles? how messy/smelly can they be? what about salmonella?
Old 2007-03-09, 21:25
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearFrost
i was thinking of getting a bearded dragon (maybe 2) soon.

Im wondering what they are like... good for a first go with reptiles? how messy/smelly can they be? what about salmonella?

i've never kept any and am limited in experience with reptiles. beardies seem like a fairly decent first reptile. i'd get a small one and raise it. that way you can deal with the little one and learn its behavior and what all you have to deal with as it grows. give it some sand, water dish, a hide, and a basking spot under a heat lamp on one end of the tank. i guess you could use a heat pad instead of a lamp, but i think the lamp is more commonly used with them. i guess you'd feed them adult crickets either gut loaded with vitamins or dusted with vitamins..or even both. you will also need a decent sized tank for an adult i think.

as far as smells go..i'm sure their shit stinks...though tarantulas shit doesn't stink. i feed mine almost exclusively crickets. my snakes shit on the other hand is terrible. the difference though is that i feed the snakes whole mice, bones and all; while crickets have no bones. so maybe bearded dragon shit doesn't smell as bad if you feed them just inverts? i'd recommend doing a bit of reading before you buy one. edit...i guess i forgot to mention that crickets fucking stink on their own. nasty fuckers...makes me want to switch to roaches.

Last edited by xgrafcorex : 2007-03-14 at 13:12.
Old 2007-03-21, 11:40
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

yay, just bought me a new bug!

a semi-adult aphonopelma seemani female, the brown version. It's a pretty cool spider; not aggresive but extremely nervous though. Even a short breath in the tank sets it off into a furious sprint around, pretty funny actually.

No pics yet, but ill take my dads camera with me next week.

And it has a bold spot on the abdoman (like you goliath, graf). I noticed many spiders have it but im clueless on the reason and if it's a sign of ilness/moulting whatever
Old 2007-03-21, 11:59
Post-whore

cool...i'm not really familiar with the brown form..but they are pretty cool looking spiders. i have the regular A. seemani..same attitude really. not crazy pissed off..but not welcoming either.

the bald spot is fine..its from flicking the urticating hairs..or else just having them rub off onto something. they come off very easily so they get rubbed off fairly often. once she molts, the spot will be gone. a good indication of an upcoming molt though is to look at that bald spot..when it turns dark or black, a molt will be around the corner. longer wait for larger ones..but it should be relatively soon once the abdomen is dark like that picture of the blondi i posted.

also, Aphonopelma are known to have pretty slow growth rate. you can speed up the rate by feeding more often and raising the temperature in the room. an example of their slow growth rate is my 4-5" female that i've had for a year and a half....she hasn't molted once! not really any sign that its coming up anytime soon either.

how do you have her set up? they like to have a burrow, but if you give them enough to dig through, they'll make their own. i premade a large burrow for mine in its old tank..but i have since moved her into something much smaller. it was cool though..the burrow had a narrow entrance that was angled about 50 degrees, then there was a larger chamber at the bottom against the corner of the glass so i could see. after she finally took to the burrow..it didn't take long before she had dug a separate entrance all her own..i think hers was easier for her to use since it was rare that i would see her using mine after she made hers. i think the angle was a bit steep..and where it met the chamber was a little awkward compared to how they build them. i took a bunch of pics of the burrow making process if you want to see them or i can just type it up.

if you give her something to start a burrow...just a depression in the surface or something...she'll likely pick up where you left off and make a nice burrow.
Old 2007-03-21, 12:06
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

i put a halfround piece of fake bark in it and i also made a 4-5" substrate hill, now it's just waiting which she prefers, she's only been in there one day.

i'm still waiting for my vagans to molt; he/she's been living very passively for the last two weeks, just sitting in her burrow doing nothing, pretty strange compared to the extinsive nightwalks she used to take. she still eats though, but she lets the bug virtuall crawl over her before she takes it.
Old 2007-03-21, 12:18
Registered Sex Offender

Send a message via AIM to MyOwnSavior
I don't know if it's been posted in this thread yet, but me and my friend got in a long discussion about spiders and we got in an even longer discussion about the camel spider.

It's not really a spider, from what I heard it's more related to the centipede beacause it has more than eight legs. From what I've seen in pictures, it looks bigger than a goliath spider.

Camel Spider eating a lizard.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

I'm as firm as red clay and as constant as... drinkin'. I'm constantly drinkin'. - Early Cuyler
Old 2007-03-21, 12:21
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

that bitch looks fucking scary
Old 2007-03-21, 12:48
Post-whore

that bark sounds good...you could even try burying part of it so there is a closed in cave basically with just the front entrance. the spider will most likely expand on that and make a nice burrow. if shes only been in for one day, i wouldn't expect much of anything just yet. some get right to work redecorating..others are lazy and want to relax for a bit first hah.

sounds like a molt is on its way for the vagans. they are normally bottomless pits as far as feeding goes..so a good indicator of a molt is being lethargic and not pouncing right away on food. Brachypelma are also known for growing slow..but not as slow as Aphonopelma...also vagans is said to be one of the faster growing Brachys. i think i got my vagans in the same order as i got the seemani, and the vagans was only 0.5" but is now about 4" after about a year and a half.
Old 2007-03-21, 12:59
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOwnSavior
It's not really a spider, from what I heard it's more related to the centipede beacause it has more than eight legs. From what I've seen in pictures, it looks bigger than a goliath spider.[/URL]

they are pretty interesting critters...but you are mistaken about the relation to centipedes vs. spiders. they aren't true spiders for several reasons, but they are arachnids which makes them related to spiders. centipedes and millipedes are myriapods which are related to spiders because they are both arthropods, but that is pretty much where their relation ends.

also the "camel spider" or solifugid has the same amount of legs as a spider (one of the reasons it is an arachnid) but it looks like they have an extra set of legs. that extra set is something spiders have as well..they are called pedipalps. on spiders they are much smaller and less noticable, while they are pretty large on the solifugid. they look a lot like legs, but they are more like arms and are used to grab prey or stabilize themselves while climbing around.

i've never kept one, and thats about where my knowledge of them ends, but i do know they are relatively tough to keep in captivity for long periods of time. a pet store here sells them..but i kinda shy away from them as i've heard they are tough to keep alive, and i already have had bad luck with centipedes, so thats why i haven't gotten into them.
Old 2007-03-21, 14:15
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

and it's ugly, hahaha

i'm taking the cricket out of the vagans tank and hope she'll molt withing now and two days