MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > MetalTabs.com > Chit Chat
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 2007-01-16, 21:49
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to xgrafcorex Send a message via Yahoo to xgrafcorex
the official metaltabs invertebrates and reptiles thread

after some complaints in one or two other threads, this thread has been made.

to continue that conversation..

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
invertebrates & reptiles sounds good.

about the light, the first owner had that light on since she was little, so i guess shes kinda used to it after two years.

pretty awesome, she just had here first 3 inch grasshopper, mwuahahaha it's fucking gone! i love this new hobby. I actually have 3 terrariae now; 1 vagans, 1 regalis and 1 full with crickets and locusts

well i guess its fine, but i'm just saying that because they are nocturnal. though mine all get as much light as i do during the day and some at night, so its not like they can't deal with it.

haha yea its fun to watch them eat. they are lazy bastards a most of the rest of the time, but you still will catch them doing some odd things, or just reorganizing the substrate or decorations if they can.

be sure to keep an eye on the tank of feeders. clean out dead ones and try to give it a cleaning when you can. too many dead remains can lead to mites infecting your feeders. they are pretty small too, so you may not notice them when you feed them to your spiders. i've had them on a few. if you do get them..just let the substrate go completely dry except the water dish, then take the spider out, dump the substrate, clean the tank, and set it up again. there may be a few stragglers, but they will die off if you keep it dry in there. if it somehow doesn't go away, you can buy a species of predatory mites that will eat the parasitic ones and won't harm the spider.

other than that..one of my spiders just molted into a mature male and will be meeting the lady i have once he is ready to go.

what he looked like before:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c...x/IMG_0953s.jpg
later:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c...x/IMG_3943s.jpg
now, lost some of the greenish coloration, and all of the orange on the abdomen:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/IMG_8059s.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/IMG_8066s.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/IMG_8069s.jpg
close up:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c...MG_8065crop.jpg
next to ruler, about 4.5" (11.4cm) in leg span:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/IMG_8058s.jpg
kinda hard to tell cause he is sideways, but this is the first threat pose i've ever received from a larger sized spider:
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/IMG_8040s.jpg
spider "balls"
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c...MG_8025crop.jpg
and last, the female (these pics i posted in the recently bought shit thread):
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/IMG_6550s.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/IMG_6552s.jpg
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/IMG_6546s.jpg
shes a bit bigger than him, i almost feel bad for the guy. unfortunately, he only has about 1.5-2 years left of his life, so i basically mate him and maybe he dies, or he just dies.
Old 2007-01-16, 21:53
Post-whore

Awesome thread, I love to see all this shit. I only wish I could buy some spiders but my mom would kill me if I did.
Old 2007-01-17, 03:48
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

Send a message via Yahoo to The Doctor
haha, just do it.

grafcore; mating them seems a very interesting project to take on, but what the fuck do you do with 100 new spiders??
Old 2007-01-17, 04:51
Jono

Send a message via MSN to *insert name here*
I have 6 blue tounge lizards now. I had a gecko, turtle, some tree frogs, etc, but had to sell and give them away. Also have some yabbies, my biggest one is about 25cm long claw to tail.
Blue tounge lizards and yabbies are cool because you dont need to do much to look after them. The lizards are tame as fuck and are so timid.
Never really was interested in spiders, mostly because I wouldnt pick one up or anything. Those photo's are pretty cool, xgrafcorex
Old 2007-01-17, 07:41
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to Dystopia
Wow this thread has doubled in posts since I last looked at it (boring)
Old 2007-01-17, 10:00
Post-whore

req - hah yea my parents don't like them either really..but i didn't even think of owning any when i lived at home. if you had a small one, they might not even notice depending on what your room looks like and how your parents are.

doc - well if i just do it, he won't have any sperm in his bulbs ( the spider "balls" pic) and won't knock her up. yea, the mating is pretty interesting to watch. my one roommate thought they were fighting when she first saw it happen....it can quickly turn into a fight too, so you have to stay on your toes with something to get between them to bail the guy outta here. sometimes its all too fast though and theres nothing you can do. thats why i'm feel bad for this guy..the female has a decent amount of leg span and bulk on him.

insert - sounds cool man..i've only kept a few snakes as far as reptiles go, i've thought about some leopard geckos..they look pretty funny. so far i've never held most of them...just a few that are more relaxed get to climb around on me. putting these two i just posted about together will be interesting though..they are really quick, and one might end up on the run, or running onto me all of a sudden trying to get away from the other spider haha. what are yabbies? thats cool they are calm..all the lizards in the wild here are crazy nervous..they run as soon as you get anywhere near them. heh we even have wild iguana here..though it was thanks to a bunch of people releasing their pets, or else someone came here by hitching a ride in a shipment of something or other and nobody noticed.

dystopia - if its boring...theres no reason for you to return.
Old 2007-01-17, 12:08
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

and what about the nymphs? do you keep em all together?
Old 2007-01-17, 14:26
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
and what about the nymphs? do you keep em all together?

well i've yet to have an actual hatch out, just one egg sack that wound up being eaten by the mother. now i've got a jumping spider egg sac..and i am pretty sure the other jumper female just started building a hammock structure last night to start laying eggs in...its getting hard to see in there.

but yes, i would keep them together at first. while they are still in the egg sac, they are "eggs with legs" basically. then they molt into 1st instar spiderlings which can move but don't disperse from the sac or mother. they have a food reserve that they are born with that will last them to their next molt. after that molt, they begin to spread out and thats when people start to seperate them. if you don't seperate them, they'll make lunch out of eachother.

some people do that on purpose though. when breeding anything in the genus Lasiodora, which have an average of 1000 - 2000 (i think..i know its over 1000) per sac, people simply don't want to or can't take care of that many. so they let them feed off each other until their numbers have dwindled to a more managable amount. i'll probably wind up doing this to some extent. i'm going to offer the jumpers up for free, just have people pay shipping. that way people will take them off my hands faster and i won't have to keep them around too long. if the cambridgei sac works out, i'll probably let the slings go for $5 each + shipping.

some of them you can leave together..people often try communal tanks by raising slings from the same sac from Poecilotheria, Holothele, Avicularia, and sometimes, but rarely, Pterinochilus..maybe others that i'm not aware of. most of the time, people wind up with one fat spider..but sometimes it works. i think most of the people that do try it, are only trying it because they have several hundred of them, so why not?
Old 2007-01-17, 16:04
Post-whore

I used to own two red belied newts, one man and one female. I had them for around six months until my younger brother got a hold to them. He flipped the plastic aquarium over that they were living in. I manged to find the female, but the male was no where to be found. Several, weeks later she died, she would not eat anymore or do anything. She only sat there on the rock which was above the water surface. I'm not sure if she had injures or wanted to die because she was lonely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Bellied_Newt

I also owned a North American tree frog, for three years. The same fate happened to it. My younger brother got a hold to it. I envy him, so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agalychnis

I had an Iguana but I don't fell like talking about him now.
Old 2007-01-17, 19:03
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgrafcorex
insert - sounds cool man..i've only kept a few snakes as far as reptiles go, i've thought about some leopard geckos..they look pretty funny. so far i've never held most of them...just a few that are more relaxed get to climb around on me. putting these two i just posted about together will be interesting though..they are really quick, and one might end up on the run, or running onto me all of a sudden trying to get away from the other spider haha. what are yabbies? thats cool they are calm..all the lizards in the wild here are crazy nervous..they run as soon as you get anywhere near them. heh we even have wild iguana here..though it was thanks to a bunch of people releasing their pets, or else someone came here by hitching a ride in a shipment of something or other and nobody noticed.

Yabbies are kind of like mini lobsters, as it takes a lot more effort to get them to grow as big. The real small ones get used as live bait sometimes, and the big ones can be eaten(by people who cant afford lobsters, I guess). Anyway, I went through a big phase of them a couple years ago, and I got given and caught like 12 of them. I had so many little tanks, and eventually I had to get rid of them all. A couple killed eachother, one escaped. I gave some away and released the rest into a creek. I kept the youngest one and put it in the biggest tank I have, which is like 1.3 metres long or something. Eventually I was given another one, but I had no tanks left. I put a glass divider in my big tank and they lived happily next to eachother for ages.

One night, the glass fell down and I found them in the same tank. Was shocked to see one of them wasnt in pieces. A few weeks later, I noticed one was pregnant. Its pretty cool when they get pregant( I wish I kept photo's) as they keep their eggs under their tail. There was around 100 eggs or something, and they stayed under her tail for a few months. Then, one morning I noticed the eggs had hatched and there were hundreds of the little fuckers everywhere. Now, I have that mother still(she is getting really old, over 6 years!) and one of the babies,(the rest of them killed eachother). The one I kept was the mackdaddy of the tank.
Anyway there ar different types of yabbies, some are small and brown, others are big and blue. Mine are 'Cherax destructor', and look like this one only bigger.
Cherax destructor
Again, they are pretty docile. I used to pick them up and let them bite me for fun. I did that again a little while ago and it cut the skin between my middle finger and pointer finger in two.
Old 2007-01-17, 19:08
Post-whore

I used to own one of those things. They are jumpers, we had them in a fish aquarium with no top. So we kept the water surface around 5 inches below the top of the aquarium. Little did we know, that it could still get out. We saved it once, but the other time it couldn't survive the fall.
Old 2007-01-17, 21:04
Jono

Heh, that happens. One made it halfway down the stairs, another got trodden on by a friend.
Old 2007-01-17, 21:38
Post-whore

I really want a Tegu, but they get so damn big. I know my mom wouldn't let me have one. Have any of you ever owned one, or known someone that has or had one?

For those who don't know what a Tegu is.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tegu

Tomorrow, I'm going to the local pet store and search for some Bearded Dragons. If i get one it will be a female. I just asked my mom about getting one, and she said "Yes". WOOOOOOOOOT!!!!
Old 2007-01-17, 22:14
Post-whore

that newt and frog look pretty cool req. especially that frog. i like the red eyes....been looking at some frogs, but not sure i want to branch out much more...i have plenty mouths to feed haha. sucks about the newt. the other one probably crawled off and dried up. we had some in one of my old elementary classes and one got out and was found somewhere in the room all dried up.

thats a pretty nice looking lobster too insert. never seen one with that many colors. i was really close to setting up a salt water tank one time, i gave up on the idea and wound up with an empty aquarium and thought..what else can i put in this thing...looked around online and came across tarantulas.

i've always been into nature/snakes/spiders and whatnot but never that seriously. got my first spider and was pretty hooked...now i have over 20..and i've had over twice that at one time. lost some babies i received from someone which thinned out my numbers a bit. they smaller they are, the harder they are to keep alive..especially certain species.

req - i've never kept any lizards..but i've seen some tegus at the store. i think some of those frogs are a bit nicer looking, but i guess they take a little more work to maintain. tell your parents not to worry about spiders haha. get a Grammostola rosea. they are the most common species in the trade. cheap and docile for the most part. you know that movie raiders of the lost ark? that scene in the bigging where his back is covered in big ass spiders, those are all G. rosea.

bearded dragons look cool. i've never kept any though. i've seen some fiesty ones heh, but i'm sure there are some really chill ones too.
Old 2007-01-18, 00:27
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Send a message via AIM to Dyldo Send a message via MSN to Dyldo
I may be mixing up my genus' here, but aren't Bearded Dragons the lizard that squirts a stream of blood out of its eye when its scared or agitated? Maybe not, but whichever do I want one with AIDS.
Old 2007-01-18, 01:03
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to the_bleeding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
I may be mixing up my genus' here, but aren't Bearded Dragons the lizard that squirts a stream of blood out of its eye when its scared or agitated? Maybe not, but whichever do I want one with AIDS.

me too
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!
Old 2007-01-18, 07:19
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

so grafcore, give us a list of all your animals
Old 2007-01-18, 11:02
Post-whore

darko - i don't think that is what the bearded dragons do..or at least i've never heard of it. granted i know little about them other than general care. sounds pretty cool though..no so sure i'd want one with aids most likely, the main care giver would be the one receiving the spray of blood.

doc - according to my roommates "too many!"

0.0.0 = number of males.number of females.number of unsexed, and just so you know, i'll list them Genus species (and in some cases theres a third part of the name which is the subspecies.) and then if its the same genus, i'll just abbreviate it.

in no particular order:

spiders

tarantulas
1.1.0 Psalmopoeus cambridgei "trinidad chevron"
0.1.0 P. irminia "venezuelan suntiger"
1.2.0 Grammostola rosea (both females potentially expecting) "chilean rose hair"
0.1.0 G. aureostriata "chaco gold knee"
1.0.0 Brachypelma vagans "mexican redrump"
0.0.1 B. emilia "mexican red leg"
0.0.1 Avicularia versicolor "antilles pink toe"
0.1.0 Aphonopelma seemani "costa rican zebra"
0.0.2 Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens "green bottle blue"
0.0.1 Xenesthis sp. "white" i don't know of any common name for this one yet
0.0.1 Cyclosternum fasciatum "costa rican tiger rump"

jumpers
0.2.0 Phidippus johnsoni (both females are currently sitting on egg sacs) "desert red jumping spider"

scorpions
0.0.1 Pandinus imperator "emperor scorpion"
3.1.0 Centruroides vittatus "texas bark scorpion"
0.0.1 Opistophthalmus wahlbergii "african tri-color scorpion"

snakes
0.0.2 Elaphe guttata guttata "corn snakes"
0.0.1 Lampropeltis getula californiae "striped king snake"

i have pictures of them all and some older stuff i had in my photobucket, but i didn't feel like posting those all right now.

Last edited by xgrafcorex : 2007-01-18 at 14:53.
Old 2007-01-18, 14:31
Post-whore

graf- I counted 25, correct me if I'm wrong. Around how much do you spend monthly on the, food, accesories, and equpiment? PICTURES!!!!! NOW
Old 2007-01-18, 15:07
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

i counted 26 actually