Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone
User Name
Password

Old 2007-08-09, 12:46
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to Unanything
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuspendedByTheThroat
my friend was yelling at my dog and I could have swore he had the most angry voice ever, he even topped hatebreed.

if only he could do it all the time

Hatebreed is just shouty. I heard more anger than that. But yeah, I get you.

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!
Old 2007-08-12, 13:47
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to SuspendedByTheThroat
alot of people don't like hatebreed, but in my oppinion I love how angry thier vocallist sounds.
Old 2007-11-18, 02:01
New Blood

yea im doin this sorta scream like jackhammer from 8 foot sativa (listen to the song before your suffering by 8 foot sativa, thats a good example)
its like a real high sorta sound with sum low parts. i been goin along to it for a while nw but i find dat wenever i do the high part too much or do a long high scream my throat starts to tickle and feel sore, gets flemmy etc. how can i stop this happening and also how can i improve the volume so i culd sound gud on a mic?
Old 2007-11-27, 20:42
New Blood

You are most likely straining your vocal cords. I tend to drink tea when I feel any discomfort (which you shouldn't be feeling too much of in the first place.) Warm tea will help clear your throat and of flame and relieve some of the discomfort.
When singing in a mic, you really don't need to make your volume any louder unless you don't have a decent volume on your growl already. Mics are there to make you sound louder. You don't have to sound louder to sing into them.

Oh, i also have a question for you guys. What would you recommend learning to get close to the sound of the reallly,extremely high screams in some parts of this song like the end of the first verse??
Old 2007-12-02, 22:17
New Blood

I've got a question.

In the song "The Secrets of the Black Arts" by Dark Funeral, there are the standard black metal vocals, but there are also these lower, growl-type vocals. They don't really sound like death growls though. I've heard this in other black metal songs, but I think "Secrets" is the best example.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cf...iendID=11713147

Listen to the first vocals in the song. The low "WHOAAAAAAA" sound.

Does anybody know how to do those?
Old 2007-12-05, 12:51
Senior Metalhead

those are gutturals, very airy lows that are created from a completely open throat and using the diaphragm to push air through the open throat, creating a resonance, and then through the mouth, which is best to keep a more closed O-shaped mouth and carve the words into the gutturals with tongue and mouth placement.

where as growls actually use the throat closed to some extent.
Old 2007-12-05, 21:39
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowless monk
You are most likely straining your vocal cords. I tend to drink tea when I feel any discomfort (which you shouldn't be feeling too much of in the first place.) Warm tea will help clear your throat and of flame and relieve some of the discomfort.
When singing in a mic, you really don't need to make your volume any louder unless you don't have a decent volume on your growl already. Mics are there to make you sound louder. You don't have to sound louder to sing into them.

Oh, i also have a question for you guys. What would you recommend learning to get close to the sound of the reallly,extremely high screams in some parts of this song like the end of the first verse??

I totally forgot to link the song i was speaking of.
here it is:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/94e3c4a0-...en-Grey---Grief
Old 2008-02-14, 14:05
New Blood

I have several free lessons on technique and screaming at www.thevoiceconnection.com and raiseyourvoicebook.com
Old 2008-04-29, 16:31
New Blood

Hey guys.

I know that this band is not really metal and blah blah blah, but I wonder what type of screaming the guy (the drummer) is using in this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo62OJat1k8

SCROLL --> 00:26 secs

So I really like that sound and wonder what type of screaming it is. Thanks
Old 2008-05-03, 10:13
Senior Metalhead

that's just screaming
technique used in "screamo" and "hardcore"
however hardcore is usually more manly and screamo is usually more girly sounding
he has more of a middle bareing.
similar to silverstein.
Old 2008-05-03, 14:24
New Blood

Thanks man been expecting an answer for a few days
Old 2008-07-02, 03:36
New Blood

Hello! I've been practising screaming vocals for about six months now and i am currently in a band. check out www.myspace.com/redemptionfails anny feedback would be nice. I know the vocals on "Blind" arent that good, and ive gotten abit better since those recordings. Would realy like som tips or whatever on how to improve myself thanks!
Old 2008-07-02, 08:01
HES BAAACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giorgi
Hey guys.

I know that this band is not really metal and blah blah blah, but I wonder what type of screaming the guy (the drummer) is using in this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo62OJat1k8

SCROLL --> 00:26 secs

So I really like that sound and wonder what type of screaming it is. Thanks

NO.
Old 2008-07-19, 12:41
New Blood

help also

Yea my vox have been sore anyone have a technique to help? TY
Old 2008-07-20, 14:11
New Blood

David Lee Goth, are you a new growler? because if it hurts then you're probably putting too much force out. don't do that. if it sounds too quiet then don't worry, you'll get louder over time. and now my question: i have trouble with the high-pitched growls. when i do them, my voice sounds awkward but when i listen to high pitched growls by some bands, it sounds very clear. how do i get that sound?
Old 2008-07-27, 11:55
Senior Metalhead

are you going for high-growls or evil-highs?
Old 2008-07-27, 21:42
New Blood

just high growls. i'm not really into the black metal scene. i want to use it in my death metal songs. my high pitched growl sounds kind of stressed and isn't very clear.
Old 2008-07-27, 21:43
New Blood

" Per Bristow's - Bristow Voice Method "

"Has anyone done Per Bristow's program? I saw this video
http://www.bristowvoicemethod.com/h...high-notes.html
Seems pretty interesting. Any opinions?"

Thanks
Old 2009-04-13, 13:44
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateCoF
The n00b has a question. I have been growling for about a year and a half, my mids can be compared to that of Dark Tranquility, I can do lows i.e. Job for a Cowboy, and I have gutterals down pat, as well as inhales. Here is the big Q:

You all know the bands Hypocrisy and DragonLord? I cannot seem to get their "high" black metal-ish voice unless I use inhales, but I want to be able to do it normaly. It must be a different technique than straight up growling because I cannot bring my growl any higher than that of the guy from Naglfar. If any of you know the technique to get that Hypocrisy [or typical black metal shriek] let me know. Keep in mind, I am not trying to imitate the singer's voice, just trying to learn their technique. All help is greatly appreciated.

And hey, if you think Hypocrisy and/or Dragonlord are terrible bands to go by or whatnot, tell me some better bands to listen to.

:....I GOT YOUR ANSWER.....FIRST OF ALL...INHALE AND BLACKMETAL DONT MIX...TRY COPYING GOLLUM FROM LORD OF THE RINGS AND THEN ADD SORT OF A HIGH PITCHED DEMONIC SENSE TO IT
Old 2009-04-15, 13:44
UncertainFear

Interestingly Awesome Forum...

Sitting here at work, happened to find this website and wow.. It's quite helpful! I'm a fairly new vocalist.. I have been practicing singing for quite a while now though and am actually working with a band. Personally I feel I have something worth working with as far as my voice goes so I am here looking to get some feedback, questions answered, and a little guidance.

As other vocalists, I'm looking to not hurt myself while doing the growling/screaming. Luckily for me it seems I only get a slight ache in my throat after doing the vocals for an extremely long time. As per all the advice here on that topic, I do stop when it hurts and take a short term of vocal rest until it feels better.

I warm up before I start, I warm 'down' after I am finished.. I am working hard to improve upon what I already have. The main problems I "think" I am having revolves around proper air flow and diaphragm technique. I have gone over this stuff a thousand times but it doesn't seem to be sticking with me for some reason! -Sigh-

Now I have been posting my progress from day one up until now on a youtube channel. It's:

http://www.youtube.com/user/UncertainFear

And any constructive comments are very much so appreciated. I feel like I have come quite a long way from the first video I posted.. So try not to be too needlessly harsh

What I am looking to learn is the deep "wind tunnel" type sound you hear with bands such as Straight Line Stitch. I -really- enjoy her sound,.. Actually I just really love hearing the airy style growls/screams. Something about them is just awesome to me! Anyway.. The song I am talking about mainly with that band is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRrfLMOGMrM

The airy sound I am looking for is at around 1:05 when she starts saying "with blood on your hands you are unclean". I also would like any tips on getting her higher/scratchy sounding screams in the video Remission:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsXK1w0Yrm4

Another example of the deep airy sound would be here on their video Remission too near the very end at about 4:18 on to the end of the song. I just LOVE the fact that it sounds like a damn tornado coming out of her mouth lol. I would really like to hear some techniques and ideas on how to create and sustain such an amazing sound. Practice tips and ideas would be great too!

So yeah.. I know this is a long post but I guess I had a lot to say/ask. Again, any constructive advice, tips, comments would be MOST appreciated. I've put a lot of time into this.. Hard work doesn't scare me, I'm willing to do whatever it takes to learn these techniques. Just looking for a little helpful guidance.. Thanks guys.