MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone
User Name
Password

Old 2007-04-03, 14:38
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to HAMMERSMASHEDFACE Send a message via MSN to HAMMERSMASHEDFACE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem
I'm not trying to be rude but that didn't help me one bit.

how to do it is hard to explain man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
He's calling you a faggot piece of shit because you are young and unintelligent, and most of all, you are a boring, stereotyopical, close minded metal head. Please don't pretend to understand anything PST says. Please leave the forum now.
Old 2007-04-03, 21:24
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem
I'm not trying to be rude but that didn't help me one bit.

Something I've noticed with BM vocals is they never sound aggressive. They sound soft as hell.
Old 2007-04-03, 21:43
Life is pain.
Banned

wow
Old 2007-04-04, 21:51
New Blood

Alright maybe it's just me but they don't sound aggressive. My opinion, just not really my style.
Old 2007-04-08, 17:33
Senior Metalhead

wow
Old 2007-04-23, 01:37
New Blood

Help?

Ok, ive been growling for a few weeks now, and dont so much have a problem with my throat, but I am unsure as to how to continue from now on. My band is looking to improve upon my growling, i have recorded a song or 2, no bass line, or drums, just lead guitar and vocals. If i can figure out how to post it/share, i will.

Ive heard people say, growl from the diaphragm, but how do you do this, ive tried myself, just tried to will my diaphragm to force it out, but it aint happenin.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 2007-05-01, 23:56
Metalhead

Well say your little brother just keyed the side of your car and you go 'FUCK OFF YOU LITTLE PRICK!" thats using your diaphragm. Just belt it out and go as low as you can while keeping your throat nice and relaxed so you dont tear it up.
Old 2007-05-15, 18:50
New Blood

Hey i was just wondering about low growls and high screams..i have read many threads on this subject and they talk about closeing the throat yada ect...but the problem is im unsure how exactly work with it..like i dont understand how do work my throat closed or open, like how to exactly close it if you know what i mean..any advice would be great? i may sound like a jackass haha but please if someone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 2007-05-24, 16:48
New Blood

Hey, this is big! I found this website: www.melissacross.com, she's worked with a bunch of metal vocalists like All That Remains, Cradle of Filth, Lamb of God, so on so forth, and has some AMAZING tips on how to maintain your vocals. I've bought both DVDs and they are amazing!!!

However, I do have a question that maybe you guys could help me with that I didnt find in the dvds...

At some points I can scream really well, and sound kind of similar to Phil from All That Remains. However, at other points, the back of my throat doesn't seem to have the "mucus" there and I can't get the scream out without just sounding all scratchy and weak. I'll try to scream a couple songs to try to warm up, but it really doesn't help. Then it starts to feel dry and scratchy and I can't scream at all without choking. Any ideas what's going on?
Old 2007-05-24, 16:57
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffeg
Hey, this is big! I found this website: www.melissacross.com, she's worked with a bunch of metal vocalists like All That Remains, Cradle of Filth, Lamb of God, so on so forth, and has some AMAZING tips on how to maintain your vocals. I've bought both DVDs and they are amazing!!!

However, I do have a question that maybe you guys could help me with that I didnt find in the dvds...

At some points I can scream really well, and sound kind of similar to Phil from All That Remains. However, at other points, the back of my throat doesn't seem to have the "mucus" there and I can't get the scream out without just sounding all scratchy and weak. I'll try to scream a couple songs to try to warm up, but it really doesn't help. Then it starts to feel dry and scratchy and I can't scream at all without choking. Any ideas what's going on?

Wow strong spam!
Old 2007-05-24, 17:14
New Blood

Not spam, im just hardcore enthusiastic, she fixed a lot of problems I had =/

Not sure if I take that as an insult or not..., that question i asked was serious

Last edited by jeffeg : 2007-05-24 at 17:22.
Old 2007-05-24, 17:28
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Not spam, im just hardcore enthusiastic, she fixed a lot of problems I had =/

Not sure if I take that as an insult or not..., that question i asked was serious

Oh i sea that youre a real person.

People who advertise in their very first post are instant suspects of spamming. Sorry!
Old 2007-05-24, 17:43
New Blood

Heheh, it's ok. But seriously, those DVDs are really good.

Anyways, does anyone have any ideas what could be happening with my throat?
Old 2007-05-28, 19:20
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Heheh, it's ok. But seriously, those DVDs are really good.

Anyways, does anyone have any ideas what could be happening with my throat?

You might be doing the mucus push which is tightening up the throat and pushing your mucus to make a sound. Thats wrong technique. To scream Metalcore style you have to yell and then modify it. For lows you pucker up and if you want touch the roof of your mouth with your toungue. Im still lost on highs though.

Open the throat and push hard, like you would push a fart(LOL)
Old 2007-06-19, 16:54
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

I've been "practicing" growls and screams for some years and I never once thought about the mucus in the back of my throat. Thinking about it now, it seems to me that every time I growl the musus is cleared (I use 2 growl techniques - yelling from the gut, and "roaring" from the throat/gut), and the same for screaming.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Last edited by powersofterror : 2007-06-19 at 16:59.
Old 2007-07-07, 16:34
New Blood

same thing happens to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRO
Well.....

Growl faster!

Anyway...

Anyone else have this happen?

After about 1wk+ if you dont do any vocals(incl clean) your growl/screams arent as good as they were? I dunno, i havent been doing anything and my vocals arent as good. I need to get back to singing clean at least.
Old 2007-08-06, 14:28
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMF
Good idea for a thread.

Requiem all I can advise is to try singing along to black metal and just control the scream more so you can form words.

If anyone wants to criticise my vocals then please go to www.myspace.com/visceralblastband and listen to the track Exstinguishing the Flame. The other songs vocals were either experimental or not serious so only critiques on Exstinguishing would be appreciated.

i'm sorry but, that is the worst growl i've ever heard. you have the basics, but you DONT have any range. you sound like a mouse.

btw.. whats up with that lame drum computer man?

sigh..
Old 2007-08-06, 22:35
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to SuspendedByTheThroat
I know what will fix all of your problems.

use your diaphragm, and i've explained how to use it a million times.

scream like you're pissed.

damn.
Old 2007-08-07, 08:09
Post-whore

Send a message via MSN to Unanything
Quote:
Originally Posted by - EXILE -
Well say your little brother just keyed the side of your car and you go 'FUCK OFF YOU LITTLE PRICK!" thats using your diaphragm. Just belt it out and go as low as you can while keeping your throat nice and relaxed so you dont tear it up.

Yeah, I did something similar when the dog wouldn't quit barking. It was the most natural-feeling thing ever to emerge from my airways.

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!
Old 2007-08-08, 16:01
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to SuspendedByTheThroat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unanything

Yeah, I did something similar when the dog wouldn't quit barking. It was the most natural-feeling thing ever to emerge from my airways.

my friend was yelling at my dog and I could have swore he had the most angry voice ever, he even topped hatebreed.

if only he could do it all the time