Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone
User Name
Password

Old 2007-01-06, 08:27
Senior Metalhead
Banned

ask random vocal questions here

this thread was approved by the doctor
if you have a question about metal vocals post it hear cause there are to many threads ask questions like
1. how can i improve my growl/ scream
2. are my vocals good
3. asking about techniques

reasons for making thread
1. too many threads
2. and too many topics instead of just one thread where questions can be answered

this is just like the question forum in the guitar section

Last edited by deathxleprosyx : 2007-01-06 at 08:35.
Old 2007-01-08, 10:47
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

This thread has now been "Stuck."
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx
Old 2007-01-08, 17:26
New Blood

I have a problem. Every time I try growling my throat starts hurting a little while after I have stopped. Also I can't seem to get my volume higher than a whisper.
Old 2007-01-08, 17:33
Post-whore

Practice and build endurance. Stop growling when it starts hurting. You'll get louder in time.

Old 2007-01-09, 02:57
New Blood

The n00b has a question. I have been growling for about a year and a half, my mids can be compared to that of Dark Tranquility, I can do lows i.e. Job for a Cowboy, and I have gutterals down pat, as well as inhales. Here is the big Q:

You all know the bands Hypocrisy and DragonLord? I cannot seem to get their "high" black metal-ish voice unless I use inhales, but I want to be able to do it normaly. It must be a different technique than straight up growling because I cannot bring my growl any higher than that of the guy from Naglfar. If any of you know the technique to get that Hypocrisy [or typical black metal shriek] let me know. Keep in mind, I am not trying to imitate the singer's voice, just trying to learn their technique. All help is greatly appreciated.

And hey, if you think Hypocrisy and/or Dragonlord are terrible bands to go by or whatnot, tell me some better bands to listen to.
Old 2007-01-09, 20:17
Senior Metalhead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersofterror
This thread has now been "Stuck."

thanx man
Old 2007-01-09, 20:20
Senior Metalhead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic
I have a problem. Every time I try growling my throat starts hurting a little while after I have stopped. Also I can't seem to get my volume higher than a whisper.

i started growling this summer i can do it withought it hurting now but then i would sing the chorus to a song i did master of puppets and now i can growl withought pain try that
Old 2007-01-09, 20:41
New Blood

Thanks for the tips.
Old 2007-01-10, 07:21
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by IhateCoF
The n00b has a question. I have been growling for about a year and a half, my mids can be compared to that of Dark Tranquility, I can do lows i.e. Job for a Cowboy, and I have gutterals down pat, as well as inhales. Here is the big Q:

You all know the bands Hypocrisy and DragonLord? I cannot seem to get their "high" black metal-ish voice unless I use inhales, but I want to be able to do it normaly. It must be a different technique than straight up growling because I cannot bring my growl any higher than that of the guy from Naglfar. If any of you know the technique to get that Hypocrisy [or typical black metal shriek] let me know. Keep in mind, I am not trying to imitate the singer's voice, just trying to learn their technique. All help is greatly appreciated.

And hey, if you think Hypocrisy and/or Dragonlord are terrible bands to go by or whatnot, tell me some better bands to listen to.

Hey dude. I don't have THE answer mate, but a suggestion. Do you sing? If so, do you know about resonance spaces in the body? For example, low notes resonate in the chest, while high notes in the head (this is called the head voice). If you can find the similarities with singing low notes to low growling stuff, then try to applying a head voice to growls. I really dunno if this would work, but it might! A good way to know if you have a working head voice is if you can sing above the high e string on a guitar without any struggle and your voice doesn't sound like you're yelling. Try that mate.
Old 2007-01-15, 17:37
New Blood

Pig squeal, technique wud be good!?

'reet reet!'
Old 2007-01-16, 15:09
Post-whore

I need help with my black metal singing. I can do the screams but I can't seem to actually say words, while attempting to sing.
Old 2007-01-16, 17:30
Senior Metalhead

Good idea for a thread.

Requiem all I can advise is to try singing along to black metal and just control the scream more so you can form words.

If anyone wants to criticise my vocals then please go to www.myspace.com/visceralblastband and listen to the track Exstinguishing the Flame. The other songs vocals were either experimental or not serious so only critiques on Exstinguishing would be appreciated.
Old 2007-01-16, 21:57
Post-whore

Not bad at all man. Are you ever going to put a demo out? I might be interested.
Old 2007-01-23, 05:35
Senior Metalhead

When I started out, I practiced low death metal gutterals at a pretty loud volume along with music until I figured out the basic technique. I can now do them at a more comfortable volume.

Would this be the case with black metal vocals. As in, If I practice them at a louder volume, could I then acheive the same tone as with when loud. I ask because death metal vocalists can get away with sounding quieter wheras black metal vocalists sound like they're really screaming their guts out.

Also does excersize help with all vocal performance?
Old 2007-02-04, 13:13
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to HAMMERSMASHEDFACE Send a message via MSN to HAMMERSMASHEDFACE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMF
Good idea for a thread.

Requiem all I can advise is to try singing along to black metal and just control the scream more so you can form words.

If anyone wants to criticise my vocals then please go to www.myspace.com/visceralblastband and listen to the track Exstinguishing the Flame. The other songs vocals were either experimental or not serious so only critiques on Exstinguishing would be appreciated.

cool man just turn it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
He's calling you a faggot piece of shit because you are young and unintelligent, and most of all, you are a boring, stereotyopical, close minded metal head. Please don't pretend to understand anything PST says. Please leave the forum now.
Old 2007-02-06, 07:47
New Blood

I only do growls and screams, and I can only hold those for 5 or 6 seconds.
I scream using the top of my throat and growl using the lower part. According to Mellisa fucking Cross, this is wrong, yet she wont elaberate on how to actually scream. My throat is sore after I only scream for a song or so (I don't scream for a band, so no rush on building endurance.). I know some of you say "Oh, just build endurence through singing, stopping, drinking water etc. then do it again the next day.".

I heard there is a way to scream other then this that does not hurt at all. I hear Mellisa Cross talk about false cords, but I never heard her say how to actually use them.

Is there soemthing on her DVD I'm missing? Could someone elaberate?

Thanks for any help.
Old 2007-02-06, 15:36
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to HAMMERSMASHEDFACE Send a message via MSN to HAMMERSMASHEDFACE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid
I only do growls and screams, and I can only hold those for 5 or 6 seconds.
I scream using the top of my throat and growl using the lower part. According to Mellisa fucking Cross, this is wrong, yet she wont elaberate on how to actually scream. My throat is sore after I only scream for a song or so (I don't scream for a band, so no rush on building endurance.). I know some of you say "Oh, just build endurence through singing, stopping, drinking water etc. then do it again the next day.".

I heard there is a way to scream other then this that does not hurt at all. I hear Mellisa Cross talk about false cords, but I never heard her say how to actually use them.

Is there soemthing on her DVD I'm missing? Could someone elaberate?

Thanks for any help.

for growls you just have to build endurance by practicing man and once you can growl for a long period of time start trying to make it sound better by experimenting with your voice you will never know how good you sound until you record your self growling/screaming you can always improve and if you have some awesomoe shit like you sound dont change the way you sing to add variety either man dont smoke dude that is what most people think happend to chris barnes (ex-cannibal corpse and current Torture Killer and Six feet under singer) wich made him sound bad to some people. Hope this helps.

- HAMMERSMASHEDFACE

Quote:
He's calling you a faggot piece of shit because you are young and unintelligent, and most of all, you are a boring, stereotyopical, close minded metal head. Please don't pretend to understand anything PST says. Please leave the forum now.
Old 2007-02-07, 22:49
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

This thread looks like the best place to post this, so I'll give it a shot.

I've been thinking in the back of my head to try and learn to do death growling, or at least try to get a decent enough growl that I can improve upon over time.

I have abso-fucking-lutely no vocal experience, I can't even hum a steady note. But I really think something like this would be very useful in my pursuit to play music, and while I don't see myself singing in a barbershop quartet, I could see myself doing vocals years into the future.

So where do I start? Give me all the basics. Tips, hints, clues, etc. If it isn't too much trouble, any audio stuff you have would help me alot; monkey see (or hear), monkey do.

Keep checking for new crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
It's really sad, all those people who don't understand why we shouldn't act like our enemies. The real victory is not only killing and imprisoning the terrorists, but also letting civilized manners override the lust for revenge, once the battle is over.
Old 2007-02-09, 16:36
Senior Metalhead

i can growl but i need help trying growl faster

Quote:
Old 2007-03-07, 16:12
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMMERSMASHEDFACE
i can growl but i need help trying growl faster

Well.....

Growl faster!

Anyway...

Anyone else have this happen?

After about 1wk+ if you dont do any vocals(incl clean) your growl/screams arent as good as they were? I dunno, i havent been doing anything and my vocals arent as good. I need to get back to singing clean at least.