MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2006-12-27, 00:42
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Peavey Bandit question

The amp has both "high gain" and "low gain" inputs on it. What's the difference between the two, and which should I be using (I have EMGs, if that matters)?

Old 2006-12-27, 00:52
the_bleeding
Post-whore

one gives you high gain, one low gain. More gain = more distortion. So, the low gain will be able to get cleaner sounds, high gain will get more distorted. Make sense? Its a way of making a single channel amp seem like dual channel... instead of having clean/distortion switch, you just have different plugs.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2006-12-27, 04:04
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Another question: is there any way to use headphones with this amp? It doesn't have a "Phone" jack on it, but it has one for an external cab, a preamp in/out, and a return/send.

Old 2006-12-27, 05:15
*insert name here*
Jono

Im sure 48 seconds worth of trying out those 5 jacks will yield wonderful results.

Old 2006-12-27, 11:09
Soeru
Post-whore

Use the preamp out.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2006-12-27, 15:22
MoonRaven
Lo, they do call to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4d5e6f
The amp has both "high gain" and "low gain" inputs on it. What's the difference between the two, and which should I be using (I have EMGs, if that matters)?

i would advice, considering this is a metal related forum, that you use the high gain input, wont sound as good clean, but the distorted tone is much better. the low gain input is there, this is my guess anyway, because its a higher gain type amp, so the low gain input allows you to get a less distorted sound without sacrificing tone, because when you turn the gain knob lower, the sound gets weaker.

Old 2006-12-27, 16:26
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by *insert name here*
Im sure 48 seconds worth of trying out those 5 jacks will yield wonderful results.

That idea occured to me but I'd rather not risk damaging my headphones or the amp itself.

Also, does anybody else get really bad noise (like buzzing sound) from the amp when using distortion? Maybe this is a dumb question, maybe I'm just not used to hearing buzz (old amp never had it).

Last edited by 4d5e6f : 2006-12-27 at 17:15.

Old 2006-12-27, 17:37
Soeru
Post-whore

The amp probably has cheap components, so it could most likely be the input jack's fault. Also try: not playing close to the amp, using higher quality cables + pickups, playing away from a computer/TV/etc.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2006-12-27, 18:14
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
The amp probably has cheap components, so it could most likely be the input jack's fault. Also try: not playing close to the amp, using higher quality cables + pickups, playing away from a computer/TV/etc.

Is there any way to replace the input jack?
I doubt it'd be my cable since it's an Ernie Ball ultraflex or something, anyways it's a decent cable.

Last edited by 4d5e6f : 2006-12-27 at 18:19.

Old 2006-12-27, 20:46
Soeru
Post-whore

Take it to a technician, he'll open up the amp and solder in a new input jack(try a switchcraft, they're the best). It's like a 20-40$ mod. Even if it doesn't solve the humming problem, it's still a good investment as input jacks are usually the first thing that crap out on modern low end amps these days.

But that'll most likely solve it, if not make sure you're in a good environment(not close to TVs/monitors/electrical devices and not too close to the amp). Also your guitar has humbuckers right? Singlecoil pickups hum in high gain situations. Could be cheap stock pickups' fault too, what guitars/pickups do you have?

Old 2006-12-28, 00:08
problematic
Post-whore
Banned

Hey man, I've got the bandit, and mine's totally fucked.

I don't reccomend this amp anymore. I don't know what do either.
Since it's a low wattage amp, if you take out your lead and everything, and turn up the volume, you will hear buzzing / static from the amp itself.

Also, read the fucking manual. It's not long and you're asking really fucking dumb questions.

Old 2006-12-28, 00:39
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by problematic
Also, read the fucking manual. It's not long and you're asking really fucking dumb questions.

Nah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
Take it to a technician, he'll open up the amp and solder in a new input jack(try a switchcraft, they're the best). It's like a 20-40$ mod. Even if it doesn't solve the humming problem, it's still a good investment as input jacks are usually the first thing that crap out on modern low end amps these days.

But that'll most likely solve it, if not make sure you're in a good environment(not close to TVs/monitors/electrical devices and not too close to the amp). Also your guitar has humbuckers right? Singlecoil pickups hum in high gain situations. Could be cheap stock pickups' fault too, what guitars/pickups do you have?

EMG 81/85. And I am in a pretty cramped room wtih a tv and computer monitor nearby, but would that really create that much buzzing?

Old 2006-12-28, 01:56
*insert name here*
Jono

Quote:
Nah.

Old 2006-12-29, 02:32
the_bleeding
Post-whore

the 2 input jack bandits are pure shit for build qulity. My highschool had one... it overheated alot, and had major trouble handling clean tones with emg's, even if my volume and tone were turned all the way down. Brutal ass distortion though
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2006-12-29, 05:35
Death By Monkeys
Senior Metalhead

I have the bandit 112, and it buzzes like you said. I actually asked about it around here a few weeks ago, but didn't get any definite answer. The strange thing is that I notice a general trend in the noise throughout the day. If I turn in on in the morning till around noon, it tends to be silent. Afternoon it can get really bad but it tones down as it gets later. This probably means it's just due to some electronics out of my control and it's probably the same for you. Either that or I'm crazy. And the high gain/low gain knobs don't seem to make a difference for the distortion, haha.

Old 2006-12-29, 05:45
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death By Monkeys
I have the bandit 112, and it buzzes like you said. I actually asked about it around here a few weeks ago, but didn't get any definite answer. The strange thing is that I notice a general trend in the noise throughout the day. If I turn in on in the morning till around noon, it tends to be silent. Afternoon it can get really bad but it tones down as it gets later. This probably means it's just due to some electronics out of my control and it's probably the same for you. Either that or I'm crazy. And the high gain/low gain knobs don't seem to make a difference for the distortion, haha.

Acutally, I've found that they do make slight differences. It's very noticeable on the clean channel. Cleans sound god-awful through the high gain input but the distortion sounds weaker through the low gain.
Quote:
That's insulting. They can make sandwiches and iron clothes. You should be ashamed.

Old 2006-12-29, 12:56
Soeru
Post-whore

It's a crappy amp so you can't expect pristine noiseless operation. But yes, playing in a cramped room with a TV/computer is DEFINATELY gonna cause a lot of noise. Turn off your TV, monitor, comp, etc. And try to stay away from the amp.

If you'd rather not go through the hassle of getting new input jacks, just sell that thing and get a different amp.

Old 2006-12-29, 16:56
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

I'm fairly sure my emgs are the culprit now. I finally got off my ass and pulled my old shitty guitar out of the closet and plugged it in, and guess what? No noise at all . I figure I can sell my EMGs and just get some DiMarzios.
Quote:
That's insulting. They can make sandwiches and iron clothes. You should be ashamed.

Last edited by 4d5e6f : 2006-12-29 at 17:00.

Old 2006-12-29, 17:04
Soeru
Post-whore

Quote:
I figure I can sell my EMGs and just get some DiMarzios.

That is a very, very good idea.

Old 2006-12-29, 17:21
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

The only problem is that there's so many to choose from . I'm stuck between a D-Sonic/Air Norton or the Evo set. Bah!
Quote:

Old 2006-12-29, 19:37
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

How do you know it's the EMGs? It might be a general issue with the guitar's wiring.

I only get noise from my monitor if I'm stood 2 feet in front of it.