MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Music Theory

Old 2006-12-17, 21:33
Sic_Fitzravia
Metalhead

Walking Bass Fingerstyle Rhytm

im a beginner in songwriting.currently im very much interested in playing walking bass style however im not sure whether that should the bassline is in A minor pentatonic if i play A minor chord progressions or is it play any note within reach of a certain chord? im an autodidact and would appreciate any help.

Old 2006-12-18, 03:23
basstendencies
Senior Metalhead

walking basslines can incorporate any notes, not just scale/chord notes (although scale and chordal tones are the blueprint for your walking line). these other notes are called "passing notes". there are a few simple rules you may want to consider also. first, you should play the root on the first beat after a chord change, and secondly try and play a note the leads to a chord tone just before the change. example:
4/4
Am Dm Em Am
E 5-7-8---|---------|----8-7-|5-8-----4|
A-------7-|5-8---8-| 7-5-----|-----7---|
D---------|----7----|--------|---------|
G --------|---------|---------|---------|

i hope this makes some kind of sense, ive been drinking a bit and im having a hard time explaining. if you can, try and find some recent issues of guitar worlds bass guitar magazine. theyve been featuring some excellent lessons from berklee's tim d'agostino on exactly this. hope this helped a bit.

Old 2006-12-18, 05:20
Sic_Fitzravia
Metalhead

so its not necessary to follow the scales..ive tried writing the basslines by scales but it doesnt sound really walking if u know what i mean. this walking bass style can also be done on augmented and diminshed chords am i wrong?
trying to add some variety in my songwriting. thanks for the feedback.

Old 2006-12-18, 18:39
basstendencies
Senior Metalhead

scales provide excellent stepping stones on walking basslines. ideally your lines will use lots of chord tones (i.e. 1,3,5), and your passing and scale notes provide the bridge between those chord notes. i dont know if youre familiar with the band rancid, but theyve got some very interesting walking lines worth taking a look at. also anything featuring a guy named ray brown will have some great walking lines.

Old 2006-12-19, 18:02
JonR
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sic_Fitzravia
so its not necessary to follow the scales..ive tried writing the basslines by scales but it doesnt sound really walking if u know what i mean. this walking bass style can also be done on augmented and diminshed chords am i wrong?
trying to add some variety in my songwriting. thanks for the feedback.
The idea of a walking bass is to mark out the chord tones, starting with the root, but to use smooth transitions between chords.

Normally (for notes between chord tones) you'd go with the scale of the key, but chromatic passing notes are very common in jazz lines - esp half-steps up or down to land on the next chord root.

IOW, you look at the start of the chord and the end of it begin with. Root first (almost certainly), and as a final note use one that will move smoothly to the root of the next chord. (Doesn't have to be a half-step move every time - variety is another important consideration in good walking lines.)
Then for the notes in between, just work out a good line to get from the 1st note to the last 1, incorporating chord tones on strong beats if you can. In between chord tones, use diatonic scale notes.
E.g., a typical line is 1-2-3-5 (on a major or minor chord), whereas in rock you're more likely to see 1-3-5-6. (IOW, a 6th as an additional passing note rather than a 2nd.)
But of course, in any style, you can choose whatever you like the sound of!

If you only have 2 beats per chord, root and 5th is usually preferred. If it's 4 beats, go for 3rd or 5th on beat 3 (next strongest beat after 1), leaving beat 4 to provide the link note to the next chord root. Commonly this will be a major 3rd (to rise a half-step to the next root) or a b5 (to descend a half-step). This is regardless of whether the chord is major, minor or diminished.
E.g., a line joining Dm7 to G7 could go D-E-F-F#-G, or D-F-A-Ab-G. Both F# and Ab are chromatic to Dm7, of course, but they each provide good moves to G.

And yes, of course you can (and should) create walking lines for aug and dim chords as much as for other chords.
With aug and dim chords, of course, any note can be the root, so you have more flexibility there...
In jazz you won't get an aug or dim chord lasting more than a bar, and rarely more than 2 beats - so they're not normally a huge challenge!
Usually you can use plain arpeggios for these chords, but if you need passing notes between chord tones:
For aug chords (or 7#5s) use whole tone steps; for dim chords, use passing notes a half-step below any chord tone. (IOW, use the wholetone scale for 7#5s and the whole-half dim scale for dim7 chords.)

Incidentally, walking bass as such is not so much the province of the songwriter, more of the constantly improvising jazz bassist. Even a rock or blues bassist would prefer to make up their own line than have it written.
Perhaps you're more interested in bass voice movement? IOW, creating melodic bass parts than don't necessarily stick to roots?
In a minor key (you mentioned A minor), you have some interesting options because of the variability of the 6th and 7th (thanks to harmonic and melodic minor).
E.g., under an Am chord, the bass can go A-G-F-E, A-G-F#-F-E, A-G#-G-F#-F-E, etc. This will normally suggest other chords on top, but will work with a held Am chord. Commonly they run at 2 beats per note.
These kind of lines are often part of compositions (eg My Funny Valentine, This Masquerade, Stairway to Heaven...), as opposed to the ad lib lines that the term "walking bass" normally refers to.

Old 2006-12-19, 19:34
basstendencies
Senior Metalhead

very well put.

Old 2006-12-21, 05:48
Sic_Fitzravia
Metalhead

That cleared a lot of stuffs..although some of JonR's explanation is a little bit advanced for me, but i think i can learn slowly myself on what you are trying to say.got the major idea so its not really a big problem. by the way il definitely checkout Rancid.Thanks!

Old 2006-12-22, 05:32
Sic_Fitzravia
Metalhead

this are the chords that im using for that basswalking thingy. ive search for the name of the chords at looknohands.com. however only a few that im able to find. anyone has any idea what chords are these?

E[--3---5---7-------------7-----]
A[---------------7----5---------]
D[--4---5---7----6----4---8----]
G[--4---5---7----7----5---8----]
B[--3---5---7----8----3---7----]
E[------------------------------]

Old 2006-12-22, 06:06
basstendencies
Senior Metalhead

check out www.activeguitar.com, they have both scale and chord finders that are really helpful.