MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2006-12-14, 22:33
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Boss GT6 Through effects loop?

I did a search, but of 500 pages of results, it didn't really help.

Ok so here's the deal.

I have a Peavey 5150 and I currently run a Boss DD-3 through the loop, and an NS-2 in front of the amp.

I bought a CH-1 chorus but still need an adapter for it. I really need some Compression to try and tighten up my clean sound (boomy low-end killing all other notes. I wasn't playing clean when I bought this amp I hasten to add! But I love the 5150 lead sound anyway). I also want a volume expression pedal in the loop to fade out my lead channel without loosing gain.... I also need a new tuner, was thinking the TU-2, and a BCB-60 pedal board to power and connect it all to the loop. So thats a lot of new pedals (all Boss) and a lot of £££ right there.

Would I be better off buying a Boss GT-6 and putting it through the loop? I would basically need one 'solo' setting with a delay and maybe some EQing, and a couple for clean, both compressed and EQ'd but one with chorus, another with reverb etc etc.

Does the GT-6 replicate what their stomp boxes do accurately?

Just to clarify, I would not be using any preamp or modeling at all.

cheers

Old 2006-12-14, 23:12
the_bleeding
Post-whore

gt-6 not only replicates effects, and has more effects than anybody in the fucking world would need (except the mars volta dude)... but you can also modify just about everything... its kinda scary how complicated it gets... like you can modify things to a point where they sound almost nothing like the original effect, and then save it under its own name... its so fuckin cool. If i had one, i could play with it for years and still not be fluent with it.
My biggest tip ever: DONT LOSE THE MANUAL hahahahahhaha.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2006-12-14, 23:18
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

You can download the manual from the Boss site

But yeah, it's looking like a better option for me. My friend has one but he uses it for his actual distortion too, and he's never used any Boss stomp boxes for comparison.

Old 2006-12-15, 09:07
Soeru
Post-whore

Why is your NS2 in front of the amp and not in the FX loop? It works best after the preamp/distortion source.

I would get individual pedals bought 2nd hand because they're cheaper than buying a GT6(maybe) and give you only what you need and sound perfect, not a bunch of useless stuff. I'm guessing the FX on the GT's don't sound as great as the original boxes.

I have Danelectro EQ(cheap ass EQ for line boosts in front of the amp), MXR EVH Phase 90, Boss DD3, and Boss NS2. As well as an oldass Digitech RP1 multiFX for playing with my comp. Together it probably costs as much as a 2nd hand GT6, but I don't mind, I wouldn't trade my boss pedals and MXR for one anyway because it probably doesn't sound as good.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Last edited by Soeru : 2006-12-15 at 10:02.

Old 2006-12-15, 12:43
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

Better yet, if you don't need the distortion effects from the pedal (I doubt you would with a 5150) you can use the 4-cable method, and put stuff in front AND behind the 5150 pre-amp.

Also, that way you can use the boss's clean pre-amp if you need some clean.
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.

I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!

Old 2006-12-15, 18:20
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
Why is your NS2 in front of the amp and not in the FX loop? It works best after the preamp/distortion source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainsforbreakfast
Better yet, if you don't need the distortion effects from the pedal (I doubt you would with a 5150) you can use the 4-cable method, and put stuff in front AND behind the 5150 pre-amp.

I wrote a massive reply to this earlier, and for some reason it didn't post

I put the Noise Supressor in front of the amp because someone told me too back when I started out! The manual's flow diagram isn't clear at all, but suggests you put it in-line, and it only mentions the NS-2's loop, and says nothing about an amp effects loop at all.

The manual does say it should go before delays and reverbs, so how would I connect it up?

This is one way I think it might work: Effects Loop diagram - but I may not need to have it in front of the amp at all, so I could just put it as the first thing in the loop using the normal input/output, and hope my tuner isn't noisey!

Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainsforbreakfast

So I'd do this..?

Guitar > GT6 Input
GT6 Output > Amp input
Amp FX loop Send > GT6 Return
GT6 Send > Amp FX loop Return

Will the GT6 let me choose which patches go through the loop and which go in front? what would the benefits of this be exactly?

The NS-2 manual flow diagram has a 'Setup with Multiple Effects'. I have attched a screenshot of this, would this do the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soeru
I would get individual pedals bought 2nd hand because they're cheaper than buying a GT6(maybe) and give you only what you need and sound perfect, not a bunch of useless stuff. I'm guessing the FX on the GT's don't sound as great as the original boxes.

I have Danelectro EQ(cheap ass EQ for line boosts in front of the amp), MXR EVH Phase 90, Boss DD3, and Boss NS2. As well as an oldass Digitech RP1 multiFX for playing with my comp. Together it probably costs as much as a 2nd hand GT6, but I don't mind, I wouldn't trade my boss pedals and MXR for one anyway because it probably doesn't sound as good.

My current pedals are second hand and at £50 each they are a quarter of what I can get a second hand GT6 for. Because it's old now, you can get them new online for not much more.

Are you sure the effects don't sound as good, or is this just something you guess? From what I've heard the effects are great, but the distortions leave much to be desired.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NS-2flowdiag.jpg (72.8 KB, 293 views)

Old 2006-12-15, 23:07
Soeru
Post-whore

It's only a guess, but even when the GT6 was new it was only about 400$ like the new GT8, but it has well over 6 effects. Every boss pedal is like 100$. If you buy 4, you're paying the same you would for a new GT back then. Surely they must've cut corners on the GT series, Boss aren't dumb cause then everyone would be buying GT's and never any of the single pedals, otherwise they would've made the pedals cheaper don't you think?

Never played a GT so I can't say if it's better in single pedals or not. But I'm sure the reverbs and delays are awesome, it's hard for them to sound like shit. But stuff like phaser, flanger and chorus is a different story, especially distortion/amp models. Those are almost certainly going to sound better in their original pedal forms(not just Boss brand), those usually sound best in analog form not digital/modeling style. It's all taste though, maybe you like cold shrill 80's style Chorus or Phaser, that's what most Boss Chorus and Phaser FX sound like according to many, very 80's.

But who knows, I've never played a shitty Boss product. :redneck:

I run my rig exactly like in your first pic. First modulation effects(phaser, delay in that order), then the NS2. Sometimes I put the EQ or a wah or the flanger of my RP1 at the beggining of the FX loop too but not often.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Last edited by Soeru : 2006-12-15 at 23:10.

Old 2006-12-16, 06:06
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Question:

If I put the NS-2 in my amp's effects loop, will the NS-2 only have any effect when the effects loop is turned on with the Peavey footswitch?

Sounds pretty dumb/self explainatory, it's just I only have my effects loop on for solos or clean parts, so the NS-2 wouldn't be controlling my rhythm sound at all for most of the time, if the loop needs to be switched on for it to work.

Old 2006-12-16, 09:33
sqol
Post-whore

With the '4 cable method', you'd be able to use the preamp of the 5150, with or without effects, but also, to get a really nice clean, you could bypass the 5150's preamp, and use the gt6 as the preamp

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone
moonraven?....more like ass raven

Old 2006-12-16, 19:38
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqol
With the '4 cable method', you'd be able to use the preamp of the 5150, with or without effects, but also, to get a really nice clean, you could bypass the 5150's preamp, and use the gt6 as the preamp

So explain to this '4 cable method n00b' how I do it! I threw it in Google and didn't find too much on it.

Old 2006-12-16, 19:45
sqol
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmaster213
So explain to this '4 cable method n00b' how I do it! I threw it in Google and didn't find too much on it.

This site should help you "big style"

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone
moonraven?....more like ass raven

Old 2006-12-16, 20:54
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

Quote:

I was going to post that site.

See, you probably already know this, you get the best sound quality when some f.x. are in front of your pre-amp, and some behind it.
This would be easy with normal stomp boxes.

The gt-6 however, would normaly go guitar ->gt6 ->amp

The 4-cable method allows you to use the boss's f.x. in their correct order, with the 5051's pre-amp in the best possition (or any possition in the chain, per patch)

The realy cool thing is that the whole process is in the 'digital' chain, you can use the 5051 for distortion, and on a different patch you can use a pre-amp (clean!!!) from the boss.

I'm not sure how you should hook it up, but that site should tell you enough.
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.

I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!

Old 2006-12-16, 21:42
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:

Cheers, that page itself tells me how to do it, but the forums have yeiled some other answers after a bit of trawling through threads.

If this shit works for me it could be awesome indeed. I think I understand about how to cut out the 5150 preamp and use the GT6 preamp for clean (or distortion if I really wanted) and how to ensure patches utilize the 5150 preamp.

Several questions left to answer but it's looking good so far.

Thanks everyone

Old 2006-12-16, 22:11
*insert name here*
Jono

OR, get into MIDI switching. Much easier, and get a POD.

Old 2006-12-16, 22:14
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by *insert name here*
OR, get into MIDI switching. Much easier, and get a POD.

I don't think you can use midi switching with a 5150.... can you?

Old 2006-12-17, 03:13
*insert name here*
Jono

Yes, I cant remember the in's and out's of it though.

Old 2006-12-17, 09:36
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Really? Some more research needed.

Well I know that the GT8 has a amp channel switching function, but from what I've read the GT6 doesn't.

Last edited by Deathmaster213 : 2006-12-17 at 09:48.