MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us


Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > MetalTabs.com > Chit Chat
User Name
Password


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 2006-12-01, 02:15
tmfreak's Avatar
tmfreak tmfreak is offline
Slayer of dumb cunts
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, va
Posts: 3,622
Send a message via AIM to tmfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchromaticChronicles
Sorry what I meant was natural rights (as in supposed 'God given' natural rights were all born with) not natural freedoms, my mistake, but closely related; and I was talking about natural rights defined within the context of The Constitution or if you're Canadian like me, The Charter of Rights & Freedoms, they're fairly similar (I believe in ours we don't have a right to keep and bare arms garunteed to us, I could be wrong; thats something that bothers me a little with our charter if it isn't there). I don't feel I have anarchist-leaning views on liberty, but I guess I can see how you see that. Stuff like habeas corpus, right to free speech, peaceful assembly, freedom of coscience and religion, right to defend oneself, "right of people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers and effects, against unreasonable search and seizure", the right to mobility, and right to privacy. etc



What makes these god given rights vice those that aren't? Just beacuse you have intutitions that they are so doesn't neccesarily make it so. For all you know just because of the period in this world's history could make you think that is the case. Thats why i was saying the use of logic can possibly prove your point. Although in some ways i agree with you, i DON"T agree that the internet is some sort of "god given right" Or even the freedom of the internet is something that is a RIGHT that we "deserve."

The internet is something you ALREADY pay for. You don't have the right to it. The internet providers have MUCH more rights to do whatever it is that they want to with it, because face the music, its a buisness. Through and through.

The internet has just started, you need to face that. Just like with everything else there is progression. If progression continues in the face of capitalism then that is the way it will go. I'm sorry but your notions of some sort of "free speech control" over hte internet by some political agenda is just completely unfounded and HIGHLY unlikely to even happen, and in fact makes no sense at all.

"The nation's largest telephone and cable companies are crafting an alarming set of strategies that would transform the free, open and nondiscriminatory Internet of today to a privately run and branded service that would charge a fee for virtually everything we do online."

hello... THATS THE INTERNET. haha Like I just said, the internet isn't a "god given right for people to express their freewills on" i'm sorry, it may seem like that to you and MANY other people, but all in all its just a buisness.

Almost everything you've quoted is EXTREMELY overly sensationalized bullcrap that appeals to you and everyone elses intuitions on freedoms.
Thats the nature of how people pursuade the masses. Both sides play it. There are those who are easily suede by harsh words and stories of brimstone and fire and there are those who can actually see whats goin on. (and this obviously applies to a MUCH ... MUCH global scale than just the internet topic)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 2006-12-01, 11:03
powersofterror's Avatar
powersofterror powersofterror is offline
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: pizza with a shit on it!
Posts: 7,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmfreak
What was "normal"? haha

I remmeber when nobody knew about myspace and my exgirlfriend kept telling me to get it. But i kept refusing because the website was so fucking ghetto.

To this date.. even with the MILLIONS that website probably pulls in daily, its still the shittiest programmed website ever. Its so fucking buggy its ridiculous.

I only have it now because others have it. I use facebook 1000x more than myspace now that i'm at a "Real college"

Ha, I'm on facebook too. But that news feed is dumb. I was on facebook when it was an exclusive college only website. Those were the good ol' days.
__________________
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.


This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 2006-12-01, 13:25
tmfreak's Avatar
tmfreak tmfreak is offline
Slayer of dumb cunts
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, va
Posts: 3,622
Send a message via AIM to tmfreak
Since i've done more thinking about this topic, i'm going to officially shut down forever this "free internet" bs. (by the way this isn't JUST directed at AchromaticChronicles by anymean, this is to just about everyone that isn't already realizing this)

I'm going to break down just how much the internet is already "Regulated", "commercialized", and much more owned by people other than "us."

First of all lets get rid of any senes of it not being regulated. First of all everytime you want to use the internet you're using for a service that is bought and paid for maybe not by you, but by somebody else and you're using their internet gateway. So therefore YOU or somebody else SIGNED agreements upon payment of the service and bandwith to be used which is null and void if you or somebody else using your gateway decides to use the service in any way shape or form OTHER than the way THEY deem it to be used. Such as illegal matters and what not. (child porn, warez and so on)

2nd point of this. There is NO "free speech blah blah blah" on ANY site on the internet other than one that YOU host yourself with YOUR servers and a means to broadcast it to the internet, which nobody here or you could rarely find does. So. If you think because you're on some forum you can openly express your ideas and get away with it. Wrong. First of all if metal tabs wanted to they could ban me and my account and ip number in a heart beat if i did something that was outside of THEIR idea of what should and shouldn't be allowed at THEIR website which THEY paid for. Starting to make more sense where this is all going? What is the purpose of a forum moderator? To REGULATE.
Ok so what about a webspace that YOU pay for? Well even those have terms of agreements where you must abide by and conform to their ideas of what is and ISN"T acceptable to broadcast on the net. Why? Because they're the ones controlling the servers and the means to put it on the internet.

3rd point about regulation and this is almost a direct response to Deathcs's often anti-government control of things. First of all the government already regulates things that can and can't be on the internet. Computer crimes, child porn, illegal version of software, selling of individuals, and the list continues on and on and on. Every place that signs up for internet servers and access abides by their certain countries GOVERNMENTAL regulations. Period end of discussion. Which is exactly why American anti-trust laws don't touch swedish servers.

I think from those 3 points alone thats substational evidence to completely put this regulation debate to an end.

Actually for hte most part those 3 answered all 3 of the statements i presented above.

But i'll touch on ownership of the "internet" as a whole a little bit better.
Think of it as such. The internet is just as much of a service buisness as is say... get your car washed. If you don't like the carwash that you receive when you got to the local car wash you go somewhere else or don't get it at all. The very much is the same with the internet. If you don't like what your internet providers are giving you (bandwith service, REGULATIONS AND TERMS OF SERVICE) you move on to the next one that suits you OR you don't get it at all. Key words GET. Nowhere did i say you just receive internet. The providers dont' have to just allow you access to the internet. It is all bought and paid for much like a carwash. Without you paying for internet access the internet providers could not provide the service of internet, hence you would not have internet. This all boils down and back to the notion of "god given rights" as it pertains to internet access. You don't have any given rights to the internet any more than rights to having your car washed.

What i can't understand the most. Is why people continue to even complain and bitch about further legislation and decisions by companies who already own the internet? Sure at first i may have been a little at odds with it, but the more and more you think about it, the more you realize its a fucking buisness. period. Like i said earlier about progression.

I've been using hte internet probably a hell.... a HELL of alot longer than probably 99% of the people here and around. I've been using it since before 9.6k modems were out and there were like 3 service providers, all of which charged by the MINUTE. With my time with the internet i've seen how completely crude and unorganized the internet is. Its literally a big fucking mess seriously. I've talked to somebody somewhat on the "inside" of alot of this internet debacle and he compeltely supports what providers are attempting to do. They yields will be a more reliable internet, unbelievably FASTER internet, and just seriousl a much... MUCH better buy. You'll be able to get on different tiers of payment and see different sites vs. how much you pay, and you'll get bandwith as a result and so on. This kind of regulation will completely and totally cut out the junk and bullshit thats been sitting around and clogging up the internet for all these years.

There is alot more to this than meets the eye. I'm going to stop here as I have homework to do. But even though i wrote alot of this, there is way more than meets the eye on this and just about everything else out there. Dont' swallow everything you hear whole and do thinking about things on your own. READING UP ON THINGS and being influenced by articles and what not is NOT making up your own mind. Thats going along with other people. Break this shit down and connect the dots.

Don't be a sheep. And by being in the non incrowd is still being a sheep.(this is to everyone)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 2006-12-01, 19:37
AchromaticChronicles's Avatar
AchromaticChronicles AchromaticChronicles is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 72
I'm just gonna say, I don't remember saying that the net was a 'god given right', I believe I said free speech was. The reason I put that in quotations is because I was trying to not favour any particular god or gods, I was trying to stay within a western view of natural rights, etc. I have never thought that the internet was a 'right' garunteed to me, anyone else, by god or anyone. I don't see how you got that out of what I said.

As for what constitutes those as god given rights as opposed to other ones that aren't, all I was trying to point out was that government does not give us our rights (they garuntee them, and try to uphold them) and they can't take them away, despite the legislation that may be passed; some other thing/being supposedly gives them to us, be it nature or a 'god' or whatever you or anyone else may believe does. To be honest I have always asumed that freedom of speech applied to everyone, everywhere at practically all times (obviously when your on the job, there are regulations or guidelines so that you/your boss can't say anything they want, ie sexual harassment), wether its on the net, in public, in school, etc, but if I am wrong, than that's my misunderstanding.

I realize the internet it is its infancy at this point in history, and I'm not unaware of 'progression' that's taking place, thats why I posted the article on the 'Internet 2' being much, much faster than the current one. I'm also aware I pay to use the internet. I don't think my views are unfounded, thats the reason I referenced all those articles, to give background into the dabate. Just because you think something is highly unlikely to ever happen, doesn't mean there isn't legitimate reason to scrutinize things like this, and doesn't mean that it can't happen at all, or at some point. Its not like I went around saying the sky is falling.

I knew that many people would view what I originally posted as 'overly sensationalized', thats why I said in my first post "Yes, I'd agree that the title is/sounds sensationalistic", I'm not blind to the fact people would have that view; that doesn't bother me. What I quoted was taken from several articles, and out of context, without the rest of the article(s), it certainly does seem over sensationalized.

There is no need to shut down the debate; despite that, I take your points with good stride. I completely understand what you mean (refering to your last post) and I don't have a problem with your opinion on the ownership/regulation of the net. I know the internet is regulated and commercialized heavily already. Refering to your second point, I agree that if a mod on a forum of a site that wasn't owned by you disagreed with something you said, or what you said/did violated the terms of use than yes, all the reprocussions apply; and I never said that wasn't the case, and I wasn't trying to imply I could go on any forum, say anything that comes to mind, and get away with it.

Despite not having any issues with you opinion, I want to be a little clearer on what I meant within the context of what you said more recently. As for what someone posts on their own webspace, yes there are terms of use and regulations as to whats acceptable to broadcast (I'll use the common example of child porn as something that would be unacceptable) which are set by an ISP as well as the government, but if you have a certain political leaning and express it on your site peacefully, they can't just shut you down (as it is now) for that reason alone, and thats what I meant about right to free speech. Its the reason Alex Jones' site hasn't been shut down, he has a right to say the things he says on his site (especially if he uses evidence while saying things to show more ligitimacy), no matter how 'radical' it is or if people think its 'conspiracy theory nonsense'. If I wanted to I could, right now, set up a website about, say, communism, and voice my opinions about it and reference articles and books on the topic, etc. and the ISP/government couldn't just shut down my site for the simple reason they disagree with what I've said, because the charter of rights and freedoms garuntees that I'll be able to voice my opinion with out being struck down by the state via, in this case, the ISP(as long as its with in the law, obviously) and also because I'm paying to use their service. If they had a problem with what I said, and it was legitimate and what I was doing was criminal(say if, while voicing radical views about communism, I am also using my site to sell pirated games and child porn, what a combo), then I would stop doing what I was doing and continue paying for their services or I would stop paying, shut my site down, and move on. If I was selling pirated software, sex slaves, child porn, anthrax, fine then, the government and providers can stop me, and probably should, despite the fact that I'm paying. But, one of the purposes for developing a second internet is to make you have to go to the government to ask for permission to set up a blog or website, especially if it voices political opinions which don't sit well with whatever the current administration upholds (say if your a 'radical' muslim and want to set up a site on the fundamentals of Islam). If they don't like it, it won't be allowed. Who gets to decide what type of site is allowed to be started and what type is not? That is one of the questions Keith Olbermann asked Johnathan Turley in one of those links. I'm not saying that the internet 2 will only be used like that, its certainly reasonable to believe that it won't be as bad as that, still that doesn't mean we can't discuss the possibilities.

Once again I know that I dont have a right to the net, but if I pay for the internet I expect to be able to, if I wish, make a website that voices certain opinions, or gives certain services (within reason as I said above) then I should be allowed to do that, even if it is an opinion that is at odds with what the governments views are. I'm paying, so allow me to do that, if they don't then I'll find an ISP that allows me to, just as you said. So far, from what I know, this is the case.

I see your point in the last paragraph. I wasn't trying to just tow the party line expressed by these articles, I just wanted to link some info from several different sources and open up debate. Yes, reading up on things and being influenced by articles is certainly not what making up your own mind is about, but it definetly helps to read and research such things further if you are compelled by the article(s), which can help you make up your mind. If no one reads shit, then how would we connect the dots? Via what the media feeds us? Who says I haven't 'broken this shit down' and connected the dots? I may have done it differently that you have, or have a differing opinion on the conclusion I've reached. There definetly is more than meets the eye, hence the reason I didn't just randomly post a couple of quotes without referencing articles, I tried to be thorough. Obviously theres more to the debate then just those articles, and they dont cover all sides of the debate, but I can't reference everything from everyside. I don't want to argue or act hostile, I just wanted to be a little clearer on what I meant/said.

I really, really don't feel like typing anymore and I too have some reading and h/w to get to. Hopefully I've cleared up what I meant. I respect the fact we dont necissarily agree on everything here, as this is a fairly far reaching topic, and there are bound to be differences in opinion.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
READ THE FUCKING RULES AGAIN.

STOP THE HORSESHIT.

"Nothing binds a father and a son more closely than the truth behind the decapitated hooker in the rec room."
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 2006-12-02, 01:55
tmfreak's Avatar
tmfreak tmfreak is offline
Slayer of dumb cunts
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, va
Posts: 3,622
Send a message via AIM to tmfreak
Damn good post ma boy. Ok Good you past the basic test in my book haha.

Btw i knew what i was going to say was going to seem to completely... bahs what you have said and.. .trust me it wasn't written to be supposed to. It touched a few things you h ave said, but trust me it was more of a.. thats the last straw.. i'm going to writej about what alot of people have said.

And you're right about.... reading material... getting the picture then making decisions. Alot of people claim to do this and don't. They read onesided biased things and stick with it immediately, especially if they go INTO it reading what they want to read. If you get what i mean.

Oh by the way what i meant by shutting down the debate.. was just a joke haha. I Basically just meant i slam fucking dunked anybody who attempts to argue what i just argued against.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 2006-12-02, 02:27
BassBehemoth's Avatar
BassBehemoth BassBehemoth is offline
Die Young.
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Hellifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Posts: 8,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by AchromaticChronicles
I'm just gonna say, I don't remember saying that the net was a 'god given right', I believe I said free speech was. The reason I put that in quotations is because I was trying to not favour any particular god or gods, I was trying to stay within a western view of natural rights, etc. I have never thought that the internet was a 'right' garunteed to me, anyone else, by god or anyone. I don't see how you got that out of what I said.

As for what constitutes those as god given rights as opposed to other ones that aren't, all I was trying to point out was that government does not give us our rights (they garuntee them, and try to uphold them) and they can't take them away, despite the legislation that may be passed; some other thing/being supposedly gives them to us, be it nature or a 'god' or whatever you or anyone else may believe does. To be honest I have always asumed that freedom of speech applied to everyone, everywhere at practically all times (obviously when your on the job, there are regulations or guidelines so that you/your boss can't say anything they want, ie sexual harassment), wether its on the net, in public, in school, etc, but if I am wrong, than that's my misunderstanding.

I realize the internet it is its infancy at this point in history, and I'm not unaware of 'progression' that's taking place, thats why I posted the article on the 'Internet 2' being much, much faster than the current one. I'm also aware I pay to use the internet. I don't think my views are unfounded, thats the reason I referenced all those articles, to give background into the dabate. Just because you think something is highly unlikely to ever happen, doesn't mean there isn't legitimate reason to scrutinize things like this, and doesn't mean that it can't happen at all, or at some point. Its not like I went around saying the sky is falling.

I knew that many people would view what I originally posted as 'overly sensationalized', thats why I said in my first post "Yes, I'd agree that the title is/sounds sensationalistic", I'm not blind to the fact people would have that view; that doesn't bother me. What I quoted was taken from several articles, and out of context, without the rest of the article(s), it certainly does seem over sensationalized.

There is no need to shut down the debate; despite that, I take your points with good stride. I completely understand what you mean (refering to your last post) and I don't have a problem with your opinion on the ownership/regulation of the net. I know the internet is regulated and commercialized heavily already. Refering to your second point, I agree that if a mod on a forum of a site that wasn't owned by you disagreed with something you said, or what you said/did violated the terms of use than yes, all the reprocussions apply; and I never said that wasn't the case, and I wasn't trying to imply I could go on any forum, say anything that comes to mind, and get away with it.

Despite not having any issues with you opinion, I want to be a little clearer on what I meant within the context of what you said more recently. As for what someone posts on their own webspace, yes there are terms of use and regulations as to whats acceptable to broadcast (I'll use the common example of child porn as something that would be unacceptable) which are set by an ISP as well as the government, but if you have a certain political leaning and express it on your site peacefully, they can't just shut you down (as it is now) for that reason alone, and thats what I meant about right to free speech. Its the reason Alex Jones' site hasn't been shut down, he has a right to say the things he says on his site (especially if he uses evidence while saying things to show more ligitimacy), no matter how 'radical' it is or if people think its 'conspiracy theory nonsense'. If I wanted to I could, right now, set up a website about, say, communism, and voice my opinions about it and reference articles and books on the topic, etc. and the ISP/government couldn't just shut down my site for the simple reason they disagree with what I've said, because the charter of rights and freedoms garuntees that I'll be able to voice my opinion with out being struck down by the state via, in this case, the ISP(as long as its with in the law, obviously) and also because I'm paying to use their service. If they had a problem with what I said, and it was legitimate and what I was doing was criminal(say if, while voicing radical views about communism, I am also using my site to sell pirated games and child porn, what a combo), then I would stop doing what I was doing and continue paying for their services or I would stop paying, shut my site down, and move on. If I was selling pirated software, sex slaves, child porn, anthrax, fine then, the government and providers can stop me, and probably should, despite the fact that I'm paying. But, one of the purposes for developing a second internet is to make you have to go to the government to ask for permission to set up a blog or website, especially if it voices political opinions which don't sit well with whatever the current administration upholds (say if your a 'radical' muslim and want to set up a site on the fundamentals of Islam). If they don't like it, it won't be allowed. Who gets to decide what type of site is allowed to be started and what type is not? That is one of the questions Keith Olbermann asked Johnathan Turley in one of those links. I'm not saying that the internet 2 will only be used like that, its certainly reasonable to believe that it won't be as bad as that, still that doesn't mean we can't discuss the possibilities.

Once again I know that I dont have a right to the net, but if I pay for the internet I expect to be able to, if I wish, make a website that voices certain opinions, or gives certain services (within reason as I said above) then I should be allowed to do that, even if it is an opinion that is at odds with what the governments views are. I'm paying, so allow me to do that, if they don't then I'll find an ISP that allows me to, just as you said. So far, from what I know, this is the case.

I see your point in the last paragraph. I wasn't trying to just tow the party line expressed by these articles, I just wanted to link some info from several different sources and open up debate. Yes, reading up on things and being influenced by articles is certainly not what making up your own mind is about, but it definetly helps to read and research such things further if you are compelled by the article(s), which can help you make up your mind. If no one reads shit, then how would we connect the dots? Via what the media feeds us? Who says I haven't 'broken this shit down' and connected the dots? I may have done it differently that you have, or have a differing opinion on the conclusion I've reached. There definetly is more than meets the eye, hence the reason I didn't just randomly post a couple of quotes without referencing articles, I tried to be thorough. Obviously theres more to the debate then just those articles, and they dont cover all sides of the debate, but I can't reference everything from everyside. I don't want to argue or act hostile, I just wanted to be a little clearer on what I meant/said.

I really, really don't feel like typing anymore and I too have some reading and h/w to get to. Hopefully I've cleared up what I meant. I respect the fact we dont necissarily agree on everything here, as this is a fairly far reaching topic, and there are bound to be differences in opinion.



Longest post ever?
__________________
Bitches, Hoes And Corn Rows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.


RIP moe.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 2006-12-02, 04:11
tmfreak's Avatar
tmfreak tmfreak is offline
Slayer of dumb cunts
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, va
Posts: 3,622
Send a message via AIM to tmfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
Longest post ever?


It was longer than mine.... nooooooooo!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 2006-12-02, 12:11
ZRO's Avatar
ZRO ZRO is offline
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 354
Shut down the Internet?

I think every scene kid in the world would riot.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 2006-12-02, 13:00
PST 88 PST 88 is offline
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,982
I have to assume they'd do nothing.

However, the death of the internet seriously underestimates the incredible ingenuity of nerds. They'll have a shadow internet up within hours if need be.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 2006-12-02, 13:55
powersofterror's Avatar
powersofterror powersofterror is offline
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: pizza with a shit on it!
Posts: 7,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmfreak
...Computer crimes, child porn, illegal version of software, selling of individuals, and the list continues on and on and on....

Selling of individuals? One way to look at it, eHarmony.com sells its individuals. A person pays hundreds of dollars to add a profile so others can browse through and find the one person they want.
__________________
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.


This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 2006-12-02, 14:17
CompelledToLacerate's Avatar
CompelledToLacerate CompelledToLacerate is offline
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 3,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZRO
Shut down the Internet?

I think every scene kid in the world would riot.

That would be a good thing because they would all then kill each other. Thus, our work is done without having to do anything.
__________________
DETH TOLL!!!

Keep checking for new crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
It's really sad, all those people who don't understand why we shouldn't act like our enemies. The real victory is not only killing and imprisoning the terrorists, but also letting civilized manners override the lust for revenge, once the battle is over.
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 2006-12-02, 17:08
tmfreak's Avatar
tmfreak tmfreak is offline
Slayer of dumb cunts
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, va
Posts: 3,622
Send a message via AIM to tmfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by powersofterror
Selling of individuals? One way to look at it, eHarmony.com sells its individuals. A person pays hundreds of dollars to add a profile so others can browse through and find the one person they want.


This is very true. Although its not with a malicious intent. that would be the major difference haha
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 2006-12-02, 17:24
PST 88 PST 88 is offline
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,982
It's always pretty malicious to rely on peoples' belief that there's one, perfect person for them out there, and that, if only they knew the right way of going about it, they could easily find that person. Not as malicious as some things, but it's a pretty shitty way to make money.

By the way, saying that a right doesn't exist because it doesn't extend into an impingement on the rights of others is a fallacy.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 2006-12-02, 20:14
powersofterror's Avatar
powersofterror powersofterror is offline
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: pizza with a shit on it!
Posts: 7,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmfreak
This is very true. Although its not with a malicious intent. that would be the major difference haha

Maybe.....they do have these so-called vigorous surveys after surveys to make sure you're legit. Anyway, hahahha, bot hmy older bother and mum found some friends from their involvment with that website.
__________________
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.


This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 2006-12-02, 22:53
tmfreak's Avatar
tmfreak tmfreak is offline
Slayer of dumb cunts
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, va
Posts: 3,622
Send a message via AIM to tmfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
It's always pretty malicious to rely on peoples' belief that there's one, perfect person for them out there, and that, if only they knew the right way of going about it, they could easily find that person. Not as malicious as some things, but it's a pretty shitty way to make money.


I suppose. I'm not exactly sure how they even remotely say that there is one and only one person for you. That just seems like a total pessimistic way of interpreting what they say. And i don't see how helping those who DON"T have those "skills or knowledge or even willpower" to find a compatable person is a "shitty way to make money." So what that they are capitalizing on this "issue" with people. If it gives people hope, then you know I could honestly careless. If you don't like their product/services they are providing then don't subscribe to it, and those who do will take it.

Theres alot of science thats being pushed by that website in the field of psychology that hasn't been tapped befo which is also worth noting, but thats another topic all together.


Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
By the way, saying that a right doesn't exist because it doesn't extend into an impingement on the rights of others is a fallacy.

I'm not tracking on what exactly you're refering to.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 2006-12-03, 02:03
AchromaticChronicles's Avatar
AchromaticChronicles AchromaticChronicles is offline
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmfreak
Oh by the way what i meant by shutting down the debate.. was just a joke haha. I Basically just meant i slam fucking dunked anybody who attempts to argue what i just argued against.


Yeah I kinda asumed thats what it was, thanks for clarification anyway.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
READ THE FUCKING RULES AGAIN.

STOP THE HORSESHIT.

"Nothing binds a father and a son more closely than the truth behind the decapitated hooker in the rec room."
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 2006-12-03, 13:15
PST 88 PST 88 is offline
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 4,982
They not only remotely say it, they literally say it. Then they present couples who say it. They even tell you not to bother with their site if you're not looking for a relationship of this type. It might be cynical of me to say they're claiming to sell you love, but they are asking for your money in exchange for the (they say highly likely) possibility of finding the one person who's right for you, so I don't really have to stretch the site much with my mind.

And my point is that everybody has the 'skills or knowledge' (whatever those may be) to go out and find somebody. It's people that tell them they have to pay money to acquire those skills or that knowledge that make them believe that a) they actually exist in some specific form, and b) they don't have them. If what it takes for somebody to be comfortable and confident is to pay a high rate to some site to be told what type of person he is and given a group of people he should be interested in to communicate with by email, then I suppose the site serves a purpose. But how much better would it be to make them realize that they don't need that stupid crutch? Or how much better to be honest about the fact that even people who've been scientifically determined to be compatible at some point in time often won't stay that way as (if) they change in different ways over a period of time, knowing the people who believe the most in one-true-loves are most devastated when they don't work out? I still stand by my statement.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 2006-12-03, 13:29
tmfreak's Avatar
tmfreak tmfreak is offline
Slayer of dumb cunts
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, va
Posts: 3,622
Send a message via AIM to tmfreak
You're absolutely right it would be better and more economic for them, but regardless of that its arbitrary (in myopinion) to argue and get all fluffy over people (a SHIT LOAD of people) getting over their insecurities and being confident and so on. Because lets face it, that'll never ever happen, at least in our life times and my lifes past ours.

And you're right about those who are most devistated generally believe in "one true love."

But this is my problem with your entire argument. Nowhere ever does it say or has said "You find the ONE true love" on the site anywhere. If you can find it I'll be pretty surprised. I've looking at the site, and i've also have never heard it on the commercials. The only thing is goes and says is finding compatiable matches. MATCHES. Which means plural.

It would appear you are literally making up what they say, or interpreting "compatible matches" however you see fit. As i see it eharmony is just another tool possible to meet people, sure some could use it as a crutch and its possible MANY do.

In light of that how do you suppose it would be possible to "change peoples ways" as it would relate to confidence with dating and so on especially of older people? But then again its not even just about confidence as much as finding single people. Say you are 30 or 40 years old and you happen to be single. To be honest I can not personally think of that many "older" single people. And say you are at work (a common place to find other people) how many singles could there possibly be at that age at your work? 1, maybe 2? That pretty much limits it down.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 2006-12-03, 14:25
Pr0az's Avatar
Pr0az Pr0az is offline
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,923
+1 man

I can agree with you on the site does some serve purpose for the middle aged on up in our society. I mean it can be implied they say you will find love on their site by the commercials and stuff, but they never truly come out and say it. However when things imply other things then that can be interpreted by the interpreter as something different. So by being a member of society then we are the interpreters therefore our personal opinions are what makes up that interpretation.

As for them being economically better off then not having the site, maybe thats being real bias on other things that could help them out emotionally.
__________________
“Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends.” ~Rusty Cooley
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 2006-12-03, 15:25
moshesxradpitx999's Avatar
moshesxradpitx999 moshesxradpitx999 is offline
New Blood
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Oh-High-Oh
Posts: 18
Send a message via AIM to moshesxradpitx999 Send a message via MSN to moshesxradpitx999
Reading is lame. So I agree, with everyone; and stab you all with chicken wings. ((and fire))


GMO, I heart you guyz!!1
__________________
so i swore to the razor
That never enchained,
Would your dark nails of faith
Be pushed through my veins
again...


-Cradle of Filth [Nymphetamine]-


ily.aje.Jy.7.2k6.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:13.


========

Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer
Copyright © 2001-2009 MetalTabs.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2009, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.