MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Music Theory
User Name
Password

Old 2005-11-16, 03:24
Senior Metalhead

You should just learn bit more bout music theory. Harmonies are easy to do...well, at least easier than most of the other stuff. You dont even need your guitar to write beautiful harmonies, if you know enough about theory, you just will know what will sound good.
Old 2005-11-16, 13:23
Senior Metalhead

Most neoclassical, gothic, and melodic bands harmonize guitars with different notes. Using mostly the third interval. Both the minor three (three half steps), and the major three (4 half steps). Also the five half step interval (perfect forth) sounds good. I know some bands that use the seven step interval (perfect fifth) at times. It sounds good as well. Does anyone know of any bands that use the 2 step interval (Major second) and the six half step interval (Dim)?
Old 2005-11-16, 15:23
Metalhead

harmonizing if doen well, can sound totally awesome, it sounds sick if u harmonize octave riffs. Slayer harmonize in 5ths to get there totally evil sound, i harmonize basically all of my riffs, it can make a shit riff sound awesome
Old 2005-11-20, 17:04
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by espmetalmonster
harmonizing if doen well, can sound totally awesome, it sounds sick if u harmonize octave riffs. Slayer harmonize in 5ths to get there totally evil sound, i harmonize basically all of my riffs, it can make a shit riff sound awesome

Using fifth intervals sound really sad and hallow to me. Especially the 1,5,7. GraveWorm uses the fifth interval a lot in soloing, melodies, and harmonizing. The Major Second interval sounds evil especially 1,2,7. Has anyone tried harmonzing dim stuff. That sound is so uncomforting.
Old 2005-11-20, 17:10
Metal As Fuck!

Send a message via MSN to davie_gravy Send a message via Yahoo to davie_gravy
I have..

I think it sounds sick as fuck esp in a DM feel. I also think it sounds cool when your harmonizing and you change intervals somewhere within the lines. Like I have one piece written in the diminished scale and shifts halfway through the riff from a perfect 4th to a dim 5th. Maiden shifted harmonizing intervals alot too, that's where I got the idea.

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.
Old 2005-11-21, 06:45
Senior Metalhead

Cradle of Filth does a lot of interval changing harmonizing like from 4th's (5 half steps), to 5 (7 half steps), to 3rds (3 or 4 half steps). It sounds pretty sweet as well. I like Cradle of Filth better than GraveWorm because GraveWorm guitars are just power chords 90% of the time with the keyboard acting as the leads. Cradle of Filth are more creative and have better song structures.
Old 2005-11-28, 06:01
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
you can do it with everything 2nds dont sound good and 7ths are just shitty but every thing else is great sounding, try it.

Which 2 are you talking about? m2 (1 half step) or the M2 (2 half steps). The M2 sounds pretty good in harmonizing but the m2 doesn't sound good for me. You don't like harmonzing in M2? Also playing Sus2 chords sound bad in m2 interval but sound good in M2. Dim 5 (6 half steps) don't sound well as well. It is the most uncomfortable sound I've heard in my life. No wonder why in movies or shows when a bad person emerges they start playing dim intervals! The dim makes you think that the person is evil! Everything else sounds good because the m3 or M6 or, M3 or m6, and P5 or P4, M2 or m7 intervals which are all the intervals except for teh dim 5, m2 or M7. It depends on where you take the root as.

Last edited by Schizoid : 2005-11-28 at 06:18.
Old 2005-11-28, 23:20
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to amerok
do you guys prefer diatonic harmonies or... i forgot the word for it... when you only move the riff up a certain scale degree.
Old 2005-11-28, 23:39
Metal As Fuck!

Send a message via MSN to davie_gravy Send a message via Yahoo to davie_gravy
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerok
do you guys prefer diatonic harmonies or... i forgot the word for it... when you only move the riff up a certain scale degree.

I have no idea, but I'd like to know more.

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.
Old 2005-11-30, 22:02
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to amerok
ah, the word i was looking for is parallel...so theres that and diatonic harmony. Ill screw around with them and post a sound clip this weekend.
Old 2005-12-23, 16:26
The Man Who Is, MGI.

Send a message via MSN to Robbie Filth
Cannibal Corpse use alot of harmonies and stuff i'd like to use them in my band but there's only one guitarist at the moment whihc is me so it may be hard