MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum What's New Submit a Tab FAQ Links Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands
User Name
Password

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 2006-11-20, 11:48
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to humancorpse Send a message via MSN to humancorpse
Fuck magazine lists. Everyone has different taste, the list would probably be totally different with another journalist.
Old 2006-11-20, 12:56
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Send a message via AIM to Chris Rezendes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Ton Alien
holy shit, i've actually listened to all those albums. how Altars is above Blessed is beyond me. same goes for the fuckin unbelievable absence of Deicide's Legion when their inferior self-titled is there.

Agreed on both counts. I would have put Blessed are the Sick as the best DM album of all time and Legion somewhere in the top 10. I also would have put Pierced from Within and Gallery of Suicide on there. I'd suggest we all construct our own top 40's, but after about 5 people do it, no one is going to have the time to actually check out other people's lists and it would be pointless and wasted effort.
Old 2006-11-20, 17:31
Senior Metalhead

All considered, I think the list isn't too bad. Of course it doesn't reflect my opinions but it takes a lot of different things in consideration, weighing towards some more than others.
Old 2006-11-20, 17:50
Post-whore

Is this list based on sales? That may explain the lack of anything very recent.
Old 2006-11-20, 17:50
Post-whore

I thought that the death albums were in screwy order. I really don't like human at all. (l love death, don't get me wrong, this one, was just bleaahh, too plain) should have been: Leprosy
Individual Thought Patterns
Symbolic
TSOP
TSOP was great, but his rasp was very high pitched. It was much more catchy than most of the albums (except for symbolic). but this is a death metal list. not a metal or prog list. I think TSOP and Smbolic are better albums overall, but aren't as hard as heavy as leprosy. iTP was very borderline,
Tough choices here with death. Chuck never makes it easy

Doesn't matter at all acutally. Whenever you make a best of, it CONSTANTLY changes, at least for me it does.
Old 2006-11-20, 23:14
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

There's no rule against putting more than one album from the same band in a 'best of' list. If some band has made two albums that are better than everybody else's, they should be applauded for it, not have it ignored due to a technicality. Though there's something to say for limiting the number of albums a single band can have on there, because we have a tendency to just start throwing them up there if we don't limit ourselves.

I don't have a problem with this list, primarily because I really don't give a shit about the top 40 death metal albums of all time according to some magazine I have no interest in reading. Still, even I'd have more recent death metal on there than this list has.
Old 2006-11-20, 23:53
Post-whore

hold on a sec there. that Darkthrone cd on that list is very unlike any of Darkthrones other releases. its more death metal than their latter releases
Old 2006-11-21, 00:11
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
There's no rule against putting more than one album from the same band in a 'best of' list. If some band has made two albums that are better than everybody else's, they should be applauded for it, not have it ignored due to a technicality. Though there's something to say for limiting the number of albums a single band can have on there, because we have a tendency to just start throwing them up there if we don't limit ourselves.

Ok I can agree with that, but for this list...no.

http://www.myspace.com/jimmysband

http://www.myspace.com/pyrrhicthanatologymonger

Mr. Budd on Relapse explaining LDOH's IAHC Mcd: "It sounds like an inside-out gorilla eating 50 babies a minute."
Old 2006-11-21, 04:07
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Send a message via MSN to johnmansley
The list is based on, presumably, the opinions of all the journalists at Terrorizer since not one journalist was ascribed as compiling the article.

My brother owns that Darkthrone record and wouldn't describe it as death metal regardless of how one defines the genre.

As PST has already mentioned, I'd place a few more recent releases on there (In Their Darkened Shrines, Demigod and And Then You'll Beg just to name three off the top of my head). It appears that some bands have made the list purely out of nostalgia towards "the good ol' days".

Deadhead Roses - Zastruga
Old 2006-11-21, 06:02
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

I can't really criticize for nostalgia, except to the extent that it assumes that death metal is dead. Now, in my opinion, death metal is merely mostly dead, not all dead. There's a big difference between mostly dead and all dead. Mostly dead is slightly alive. And even the slightest signs of life produce in large ways every now and then.

That said, I personally wouldn't be comfortable doing a 'top 20' or whatever list unless the genre in question was dead. And, if I considered death metal long dead, I'd probably just throw a bunch of the bands' names on some list and collect my journalist paycheck. Then I'd shoot myself in the fucking throat for ever being a journalist (or for lying to music fans).