Password

Old 2002-09-29, 18:55
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to mrweijia Send a message via Yahoo to mrweijia
maybe theres a tongue pick
Old 2002-09-29, 21:05
Metalhead

Send a message via Yahoo to Squall
oohh...the tongue..././/i saw steve vai once...he was amazing....he does armonics with the tongue...and that is no trick...is posible...///the prob is to touch very slight the string...and he does it pretty fucking cool....///
Old 2002-09-29, 21:09
Post-whore

Send a message via AIM to mrweijia Send a message via Yahoo to mrweijia
how'd you see that? x ray vision?
Old 2002-09-30, 13:28
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally posted by CtHuLhU DaWn
Isnlt Legato Long smooth notes, as Staccato is a sharp short note..

I shoulda saw yer post earlier but didnt get that far, yeah your correct about legato, in its proper meaning, but most guitarists just refer to hammer ons and pulloffs as being legato, eg Satriani is a great legato player or a lesson on legato is a lesson on how to play hammer ons and pull offs (check this months Guitar Techniques) because it sounds smoother then picking.
Old 2002-09-30, 18:25
Senior Metalhead

Send a message via AIM to xDarkestHourx
I think having a need for musical theory is bullshit...I mean the stuff I do I stumble upon, you can't tread where no one's gone if you're constantly using other people's patterns and theory...then again I do write music that flips back and forth between 4/4, 5/4. 6/8. 7/4. 7/8, and kinda tie it back together. I'm no master at it or anything, I just think there's a lot less that's been done in those categories. Maybe that's just my ol' unconventional chaotic hardcore playin mind talkin, but that's how I feel about that.
Old 2002-09-30, 20:24
Forum Reverend
Forum Leader

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by Pablo
I know a little of theory...

alright this guys crazy, get the men w/the white suits ready

his 1 post "i know little of theory..."
lacation "right behind you"

no sir, i don't like it
Old 2002-09-30, 23:16
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally posted by xDarkestHourx
I think having a need for musical theory is bullshit...I mean the stuff I do I stumble upon, you can't tread where no one's gone if you're constantly using other people's patterns and theory...then again I do write music that flips back and forth between 4/4, 5/4. 6/8. 7/4. 7/8, and kinda tie it back together. I'm no master at it or anything, I just think there's a lot less that's been done in those categories. Maybe that's just my ol' unconventional chaotic hardcore playin mind talkin, but that's how I feel about that.

u need music theory....wheter u like it or not.....how about if your hired by iron maiden or in flames & u dont know how to harmonize something coz of the music theory???.....///or what if u have a strange base & u dont know what solo to play?? the scales...the mods ....everything is important...//well...if u gonna play "simple" music u wont need it....//
Old 2002-09-30, 23:20
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally posted by mrweijia
how'd you see that? x ray vision?

there were screens at the show....//they focused on Steve´s tongue....///how else?/
Old 2002-09-30, 23:59
Metalhead

I would seriously reccomend that anyone starting guitar takes at least a few lessons to start and then delve into music/guitar theory right away. If you ever want to become a -serious- musician, you need it. When your jamming along and the bass player nods at you to solo and you don't know wtf key, scale, etc, you look like a total idiot and nobody takes you seriously after that. I went back and learned that stuff after I had already taught myself to play, it sucks. Like trying to put a bomb back together that just exploded. Save some trouble in the future and learn all that shit now.
Old 2002-10-01, 15:54
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally posted by xDarkestHourx

Like it or not you are using theory and what ever you play has theory behind it whether you know it or not. no matter how daft a sound u make its can only be so many intervals apart from the last sound, thus it will fall into some scale theres not 1 run ever made that doesnt have theory behind it or cant be put into some scale, the only difference is that the person who knows theory will understand what he has played and you wont, you can play any of yer offtime licks using any notes and itll come from some scale or a combination of scales changing and I or anyone who knows even basic will learn more from your riff then you, if you know that yer riffs use those time signatures yer using theory to classify the signatures yer playing in, EVERYTHING can be classfied as belonging to some scale, key time siq, tempo no matter how strange daft weird or complex it is.