MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > MetalTabs.com > Chit Chat

Old 2006-11-05, 22:25
Kalmahswamp
Post-whore

Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan

Go see it. Amazing.

Old 2006-11-05, 22:37
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

haha hell yea...it was pretty damn funny! theater was packed though. http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/...6276232000.html

Old 2006-11-05, 23:05
Kalmahswamp
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgrafcorex
haha hell yea...it was pretty damn funny! theater was packed though. http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/...6276232000.html

Do you go to FAU?

Old 2006-11-05, 23:07
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

i used to. got my ba last december

do you know basstendencies/steve?? he lives in naples..was just over on this coast for the suffocation, hypocrisy, and decapitated show.

Old 2006-11-05, 23:24
Transient
HES BAAACK

drove to albany to see it last night, wasnt quite worth the drive. the funniest part was when he said "i was too distracted to pay attention to what the old man was saying"

Old 2006-11-05, 23:27
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
drove to albany to see it last night, wasnt quite worth the drive. the funniest part was when he said "i was too distracted to pay attention to what the old man was saying"

hah i'd have to disagree since i don't remember where that part was in the movie there were a lot of funny parts...outside of the outrageous things said, many of them were people's facial expressions...including borat.

granted...we drove about 10 minutes so it probably wasn't that much of a drive.

Old 2006-11-05, 23:39
moe_blunts
wigger/redneck/drunkard

i saw it a couple of months ago thanks to myspace......twas really fuckin funny. i was having a debate with my friend....do you think the skits are all real or is some of it staged? like the frat boys in the camper.....

what do ya'll nigz think?

http://www.last.fm/user/moe_blunts/

Old 2006-11-05, 23:46
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

well i KNOW the pam anderson shit was staged. her bodyguards would've had a field day pounding the shit out of his skinny ass had he tried to kidnap her. some of the other stuff i'm not so sure about. i'll see if i can find it..but i came across an article that had scanned copies of disclosures people/organizations had to sign to participate in the "documentary style film" as it was always referred to as.

Old 2006-11-05, 23:53
Cannibal Carcass
Metalhead

The funniest movie I've seen in a long time. Unfortunetly, I spent the whole movie trying to figure which parts were scripted and which parts weren't... hmm...

Old 2006-11-06, 00:29
Kalmahswamp
Post-whore

Haha the Old Man part was when he was with the old feminists. Best parts:
Pictures of Son (HAH He is very strong)
The big nude fight (I was dying)
The Jew Egg/Running of the Jew
The Gypsy woman part
Talking to the "Chocolate Faces" then trying to get a hotel room

I'm not going to continue the list, I seriously thought it was nonstop humor.

Old 2006-11-06, 00:42
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

I had a free movie pass so I saw it.. it had its moments. I expected a good portion of the parts to be staged, but I'm not sure how much of it was (and wish none of it was).

The scene were Borat encounters Pamela at the Virgin Mega Store is about 15 minutes away from me and a friend of mine works there. She said none of the staff new about it, but I'm sure Pamela did (if not, I'd imagine there'd be a huge lawsuit unless she didn't press charges).
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2006-11-06, 02:05
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
I had a free movie pass so I saw it.. it had its moments. I expected a good portion of the parts to be staged, but I'm not sure how much of it was (and wish none of it was).

The scene were Borat encounters Pamela at the Virgin Mega Store is about 15 minutes away from me and a friend of mine works there. She said none of the staff new about it, but I'm sure Pamela did (if not, I'd imagine there'd be a huge lawsuit unless she didn't press charges).

yea if she had no idea, her body guards would've made meat pie out of sb cohen

Old 2006-11-06, 10:16
Ten Ton Alien
Post-whore

yeah, some of the enjoyment dissapeared once you realize there's lot of shit staged.

then again, he would probably be in a coma if everything was "real".

Old 2006-11-06, 12:13
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Man, when I found out that Borat was really just some British comedian acting a role I almost shot myself.

Old 2006-11-06, 16:58
Ten Ton Alien
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
Man, when I found out that Borat was really just some British comedian acting a role I almost shot myself.

that would be a favour to mankind.

Old 2006-11-06, 18:10
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Almost shooting myself? Cool. I'll let you know when I need a favor in return.

Old 2006-11-06, 18:11
Ten Ton Alien
Post-whore

Quote:
Almost shooting myself? Cool. I'll let you know when I need a favor in return.

ask anything. unless it's anal.

Old 2006-11-06, 18:16
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

I just want you to like me. Go around and say nice things about me.

Old 2006-11-06, 18:17
timedragon
Legio Draconorum Orkian

Quote:

i knew all along thanks to HBO.

Old 2006-11-06, 18:26
espmetalmonster
Metalhead

After being a fan of the tv show, and all of cohens characters I have to say I was rather disappointed, admittedly there were some funny moments, particularly the Rodeo scene, the "gangstar" scene, and the feminist scene, however the vast majority appeared to be staged, and it seemed cohen had somewhat sold out commercially, Still, enjoyable, and quite funny, but compared to the Tv show.....pfffft

Alex

Old 2006-11-06, 18:27
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

You mean that there was some way of knowing in advance that this was at least partially not real? You're trying to tell me that Sacha Baron Cohen is known publicly to be somebody whose formula in working is the following:

a. Assume a false role.
b. Under that false role, engage with somebody under false pretenses, promising something that he knows is different than the result will be.
c. Make a joke out of the disparity between what's expected and what actually ends up happening.

Is that right? Huh. Then I wonder why anybody's surprised that the movie does exactly that.

Old 2006-11-06, 18:54
Ten Ton Alien
Post-whore

the stuff he did as Bruno on the TV show is legit. there's no faking that shit.

Old 2006-11-06, 19:20
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Yes there is. He isn't really "Bruno", nor is Sacha a flamboyant European homosexual.

I'm confused: it seems like some of you guys actually think Borat is a real person? In case there is any ambiguity to what I mean by being "staged", I mean whether or not the authenticity of the people's reactions that Borat has encounters with are genuine, or if they're acting too.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2006-11-06, 19:40
Ten Ton Alien
Post-whore

Quote:
Yes there is. He isn't really "Bruno", nor is Sacha a flamboyant European homosexual.

no shit, Matlock?

Old 2006-11-06, 19:49
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

You said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Ton Alien
there's no faking that shit.
I don't know if you're talking about his character or the reactions from people.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2006-11-06, 19:52
Carl
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalmahswamp
Go see it. Amazing.

Love it really funny =)

Old 2006-11-06, 20:11
AaronDonahue
Metalhead

I read that he makes them sign release forms beforehand. He also arranges fake companies/websites to get his interviews.

Old 2006-11-06, 20:17
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronDonahue
I read that he makes them sign release forms beforehand. He also arranges fake companies/websites to get his interviews.

yea i saw an article online somewhere that had scanned copies of the forms...i'll have to try and hunt that one down later. from what i saw on the forms, it didn't mention "this is a fake reporter giving the interview" it was referring to a "documentary style film" though.

Old 2006-11-06, 20:26
Ten Ton Alien
Post-whore

Quote:
You said: I don't know if you're talking about his character or the reactions from people.

reactions, obviously.

the movie reeks of his first (and only???) season in the UK, where everything was scripted and they even had the "sitcom laughter".

Old 2006-11-06, 20:41
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

easily the funniest movie i've ever seen.

Old 2006-11-06, 20:49
fatdanny
Post-whore

I saw the advanced showing a few weeks ago.
It was pretty good, some bits were very funny, others were a bit a bit shit.

To be honest, if you've seen Borat on "da Ali G show" then you've pretty much seen at least 50% of this film. Alot of it is recycled. I got a free ticket, so it was definately worth it. The naked fighting, and throwing money at the jewish woodlice were my favourite bits.

Old 2006-11-06, 20:53
JAMF
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
reactions, obviously.

the movie reeks of his first (and only???) season in the UK, where everything was scripted and they even had the "sitcom laughter".

I think the laughter was from the studio audience on the Ali G show. I cant remember if Borats first series had canned laughter tho.

Old 2006-11-07, 02:18
timedragon
Legio Draconorum Orkian

Quote:
You mean that there was some way of knowing in advance that this was at least partially not real? You're trying to tell me that Sacha Baron Cohen is known publicly to be somebody whose formula in working is the following:

a. Assume a false role.
b. Under that false role, engage with somebody under false pretenses, promising something that he knows is different than the result will be.
c. Make a joke out of the disparity between what's expected and what actually ends up happening.

Is that right? Huh. Then I wonder why anybody's surprised that the movie does exactly that.

well, yeah, there was the show on HBO. extremely uncomfortable situations, but funny to watch.

Old 2006-11-07, 06:30
JoeYngVai
Vaginal Warts

I loved how the movie actually had a story. I came in expecting a Jackass type situation. I really do want a list of what was fake and what was real though. I know the Bull Ring was real and a mob tried to kill him afterward.

Blackwater (Friend's Metal Band)
MY WEBSITE!

R.I.P Paddy. My dear and loving father will never be forgotten.

Old 2006-11-07, 07:52
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

What the hell's HBO?

(If you make me explain myself and don't get it yourself, I'm seriously suspending you. First time anybody will have been suspended for being dumb, but there's a first time for everything.)

Old 2006-11-07, 08:37
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

I don't think the UK series was entirely scripted. He sets out a basic script for himself to follow and then improvises according to the reaction he receives from his subject.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2006-11-07, 15:59
timedragon
Legio Draconorum Orkian

Quote:
What the hell's HBO?
(If you make me explain myself and don't get it yourself, I'm seriously suspending you. First time anybody will have been suspended for being dumb, but there's a first time for everything.)

then suspend yourself for this:
Quote:

i didnt make you explain yourself, and i dont want you to (if you havnt). if you have i assume its the post at the top of this page, in which i dont know how that is explaining yourself for what you said in the second quote of this very post.

Old 2006-11-07, 16:11
Blood Red Bass
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by timedragon
then suspend yourself for this:

i didnt make you explain yourself, and i dont want you to (if you havnt). if you have i assume its the post at the top of this page, in which i dont know how that is explaining yourself for what you said in the second quote of this very post.
I am 109% sure PST 88 was being sarcastic with the shootinng himself part. It is still possible to be sarcastic without smilies....
Compare these people to the norm, say, Muhammed Suiçmez for instance who seems to think that lots of poorly strung together riffs spaced awkwardly around fancy monotonous sweeps covers up the fact that his ideas and songs are really quit boring.

Old 2006-11-07, 16:16
timedragon
Legio Draconorum Orkian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Red Bass
I am 109% sure PST 88 was being sarcastic with the shootinng himself part. It is still possible to be sarcastic without smilies....

yeah, i guess that is aparent now. but when someone makes a very believable claim about not being aware of something, i usually just believe them, rather than say "hmmm, i wonder if this is sarcasm, or if he simply just wasnt aware".

there really is no way i would know if any of you really does know about the show, prior to the movie.

Old 2006-11-07, 17:09
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

I was making fun of the people who got shocked when a guy whose entire job is to trick people who've trusted him because he deliberately withholds his real intentions didn't deliver them exactly what they'd expected based on his trailers.

You don't need to have HBO to know that Borat is a character played by Sacha Baron Cohen. It's about as far from hidden as, well, the fact that he was going to have to stage most of the movie. Hence the joke.

For future reference, when I claim I'm at the brink of

a. Suicide;
b. Quitting drinking;
c. Suspending somebody for something that isn't an infraction of the rules;

and other things in this vein, please assume that I'm joking. It will make our future interactions go much smoother.

Old 2006-11-07, 17:14
timedragon
Legio Draconorum Orkian

Quote:
For future reference, when I claim I'm at the brink of

a. Suicide;
b. Quitting drinking;
c. Suspending somebody for something that isn't an infraction of the rules;

and other things in this vein, please assume that I'm joking. It will make our future interactions go much smoother.

haha! point taken.

Old 2006-11-10, 13:26
JAMF
Senior Metalhead

Disappointing film.

Old 2006-11-10, 17:48
Bones98
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by espmetalmonster
After being a fan of the tv show, and all of cohens characters I have to say I was rather disappointed, admittedly there were some funny moments, particularly the Rodeo scene, the "gangstar" scene, and the feminist scene, however the vast majority appeared to be staged, and it seemed cohen had somewhat sold out commercially, Still, enjoyable, and quite funny, but compared to the Tv show.....pfffft

Alex

I agree dude. The HBO and English Television shows were better.

But what I found funny was the part where Azamat (an actual Armenian) and Borat try to rent a room from a jew couple and start throwing money at the cacoroaches.

While Azamat is saying "These jews are fucked up!!!" in ancient armenian dialect.

Old 2006-11-10, 18:03
Transient
HES BAAACK

bones do you speak armenian? if you do, awesome, ive been looking for someone to shed light on this. was the language being spoken really kazakh between azamat and borat or was it made up shit or was it a different language altogether? (i dont know what armenian is, i dont think its another word for kazakh)
i have heard that borat says "goodbye" or something like that in polish, not kazakh as a joke

Old 2006-11-10, 18:21
moe_blunts
wigger/redneck/drunkard

i heard sasha is going to make a "bruno" film.....it should be 'fah-bu-lith'

i love the "wazzup" or "nich nich" and the stupid fuckin questions he asks.

Old 2006-11-10, 20:01
Ten Ton Alien
Post-whore

the best part was anything he said about the Gypsy. we hate, despise, the Gypsy around here so seeing someone moking them is fuckin hilarious.

Old 2006-11-10, 21:10
Blood Red Bass
Post-whore

Quote:
the best part was anything he said about the Gypsy. we hate, despise, the Gypsy around here so seeing someone moking them is fuckin hilarious.
Gypsies still exist? Ha, I don't think I have ever heard of or seen one in the states. Why exactly are they so hated?
Compare these people to the norm, say, Muhammed Suiçmez for instance who seems to think that lots of poorly strung together riffs spaced awkwardly around fancy monotonous sweeps covers up the fact that his ideas and songs are really quit boring.

Old 2006-11-10, 21:13
moe_blunts
wigger/redneck/drunkard

check this shit out......remember the frat boys?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv...y/Business/home

Old 2006-11-10, 21:23
Transient
HES BAAACK

Quote:
Gypsies still exist? Ha, I don't think I have ever heard of or seen one in the states. Why exactly are they so hated?

yeah theyre awful in rome...dark skinned people. look kind of like indians (not amer-indians)

Old 2006-11-10, 21:27
Blood Red Bass
Post-whore

Quote:
yeah theyre awful in rome...dark skinned people. look kind of like indians (not amer-indians)
Lol, poor dark skinned people. Black cats can't even get a break.

Old 2006-11-10, 21:42
Ten Ton Alien
Post-whore

Quote:

because people who sell pants and shirts in a wooden table in the street corner somehow manage to drive Mercedes and BMWs.

everyone knows, from the police to the government, even the deaf blind guy who doesn't talk, that they are human parasites.

Old 2006-11-11, 23:06
Bones98
Post-whore

Quote:
bones do you speak armenian? if you do, awesome, ive been looking for someone to shed light on this. was the language being spoken really kazakh between azamat and borat or was it made up shit or was it a different language altogether? (i dont know what armenian is, i dont think its another word for kazakh)
i have heard that borat says "goodbye" or something like that in polish, not kazakh as a joke

OK:

AZAMAT: Purely speaks in ancient armenian, its a dialect known by amongst us armenian people as "Beirutsi." The shit that he says is fucking hilarious. Because of the shit thats being put on the subtitles, the hatred for jews, and some of the customs are somewhat that alot of armenians have.

Borat: Speaks some hebrew and some other languages. But most of the time he is talking pure make-beleive words or repeats a word or two in armenian that Azamat would say.

If there are any other eastern-european; Armenian, Russian, Georgian, Turkish, Azerbaijani, etc.. I recommend watching this shit. You'll have a better understanding of the jokes and stuff.

Old 2006-11-11, 23:22
Transient
HES BAAACK

very cool thanks!

Old 2006-11-12, 07:57
Wolfsherz
Post-whore

Considering that it wàs Borat (the teaser showing footage of the interview with the feminists was promising) the movie could have been mùch better.

Still, not bad though.

Old 2006-11-14, 13:25
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2006/11/...s_article.shtml

borat gets punched in face a few times in nyc